Power Problems Continue Post Snow Storm

Power problems persist three days after the storm that dumped more than a foot of snow across central Virginia and the valley. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Greg

Richmond, VA

#1 Mar 9, 2013
This is completely incorrect. This CVEC has been crying about the mud they have to work in since the storm was over. It has not been stopping other co-ops from restoring 1000's of customers a day while CVEC restores 100's a day (if they're lucky). At this rate, power will be restored by April. CVEC and their forum warriors will counter this by saying that they cover a rural area. However, Rappahannock Electrical Co-op covers just as much rural area if not more and they have restored 4000 customers today alone. The ground and rural conditions don't seem to hamper them. If CVEC spent as much time fixing the power instead of making excuses, we would have our power back.
ALinemansDaughte r

Wytheville, VA

#2 Mar 9, 2013
Sir, there is no lineman fussing about mud. They are frustrated that the fact that the mud is preventing the trucks to get back to the areas they are working on thus instead of horsepower they are using man & foot power. Futhermore why don't you start blaming mother nature for your power being off instead of the men who are out working on putting it back on? & who the hell are you to judge that this is incorrect? are you a lineman working 16 hour days? I DONT THINK SO! & CVEC has went from 25,000+ customers without power to below 3200 so instead of critizingg linemen, why don't you thank them for a change.
concerned

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Mar 9, 2013
Did you mean "Kents Store" at Zion Cross roads or "Kidds Store" in Scottsville" a actually store? Kidds store and Deli or di you make a mistake???? Get it together there is no Kidds store in Zion Crossroads.
George

United States

#4 Mar 10, 2013
The fact that electric companies refuse to bury their lines because of a money factor is something that needs to be discussed. Their answer is that the cost of burying their lines for a once in 20 year storm is prohibitive. Well, between the derecho and this major storm in the last year, much less the numerous others in the past, one would think that this might be a discussion that needs to start. Just by starting slowly this process on a yearly basis would be a sign that electric companies are looking toward the future, rather than trying to maintain a system that needs constant repair.
Hats off to the people out in the field working long hard hours on a dangerous job. Certainly, the people who are making the major decisions in these organizations are nowhere to be found out in the field when things go wrong. Otherwise, some decisions that have been made might have been different.
AAAAA

Waynesboro, VA

#5 Mar 10, 2013
Kidds store is the area around Rolling rd south and Rt 6.
Sparky

Palmyra, VA

#6 Mar 10, 2013
I am so grateful for the line workers! Thanks for all the hours you folks put in, and all the time away from your friends and family to restore service to our communities. Your sacrifices are as real as the brave and courageous service persons we honor on Veterans Day. Hats off to those in the buckets and those on the ground, in cold, wet weather of winter or hot and humid weather of summer. Without line workers, we would remain in the "dark ages". Cheers!
ALinemansDaughte r

Wytheville, VA

#7 Mar 10, 2013
The fact that underground power would raise your electric bill & make it 3 times the cost that it is now is partial the reason why you don't have it George. However if you wanna pay that price call em up, they'd be more than willing to supply it but don't complain your ass off when your bill is high as hell. They are maintaining the current system because it works!!! Furthermore unless you want to foot the bill for everyone's underground lines you may wanna enjoy the powerlines you have now!!!
Pissed

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Mar 10, 2013
This is day 5 for us and we are pissed because on rout 615 off of Zion Crossroads all the homes have POWER!after you pop a hill there are about 12 homes WITHOUT power and after you go under the 64over pass there is POWER again!!!!!! So I am speaking for all of us..... Some have animals that are just as cold and fish that have died in the tanks! Food gone to waste and very stressful!!! I understand they are doing the best they can.... How about my electric bill be CHEAPER then it has been due to no POWER for 5 days!!!!!

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

#9 Mar 10, 2013
If all you cry babies would belly up to the bar and get a generator, maybe you wouldn't be depending on others to make your life comfortable. My whole house generator started right up and has been running ever since. Maybe a 1 minute disruption of power.
abcd

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Mar 10, 2013
a rather spoiled bunch some have become....wonder what you would had done had you lived in the 1800's or early 1900's.
Edwin

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Mar 10, 2013
My heartfelt thanks to ALL of these linemen, putting their lives on the line (no pun intended) as they do to get power restored. It is extremely dangerous work in the best of conditions.

People are usually given ample notice that storms are coming, and should prepare accordingly.
Frustrated CVEC Customer

Louisa, VA

#12 Mar 10, 2013
Greg I couldn't agree more with you. CVEC are making every excuse possible instead of just getting their customers that they claim they care about, power back on. They are reading horrible "scripts" to people when you call for a status update. None of the excuses make sense. Matter of fact, I don't see the other companies taking time out to get on camera and make excuses. Actions speak louder than words and it's certainly clear that CVEC actions show that they don't care about their customers. All they care about it getting their $$$ every month and raising the price of everyone's electric bill!!! I've witnessed CVEC workers at various locations taking extended lunch breaks. We all know they have to eat and take a break but do they really need to go to the Wood Grill and eat a buffett for 2-3 hrs?? We don't get that many storms like this, so during this horrible time, they should be willing and aware that working extended hours is a must! After all when they take the job, they know they are essential employees and get paid a lot of $$$ in compensation. CVEC needs to stop making excuses and get the job done!!!! It's time for these companies to be made accountable for their actions!!! They need to make sure they hire qualified people that are capable of doing the job in a timely manner and not "Bob's friend or so and so brother in law"!!! I know I will be calling on Monday for reimbursement of all my groceries and expenses that my family has incurred as well as a discount on my electric bill since my meter has not ran in 5days!!! I will advise others to do the same because most of us live from pay check to paycheck and can't afford to stay in a hotel and eat out 3 times a day!
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Mar 10, 2013
Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
If all you cry babies would belly up to the bar and get a generator, maybe you wouldn't be depending on others to make your life comfortable. My whole house generator started right up and has been running ever since. Maybe a 1 minute disruption of power.
Generators: otherwise known as looter magnets. Better think twice about firing that baby up when the SHTF.

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

#14 Mar 10, 2013
"Central Virginia Electric Cooperative (CVEC) provides electric service for residential, commercial, and industrial accounts across Central Virginia. Formed in 1937 by local citizens who believed that electricity could be provided economically to the rural Virginia countryside, the Cooperative is a dynamic utility serving 33,000 account holders in 14 Virginia counties. CVEC is a member-owned, electric distribution cooperative. Each CVEC account holder is an owner and member of the Cooperative.

The Cooperative operates on a not-for-profit basis, returning margins (the difference between revenues and costs) to its members through capital credits. CVEC has a tradition of keeping margins and costs low, operating as one of the lowest cost electric distributors in the state for the last three decades.

CVEC has earned a reputation for independent thinking and innovative approaches to meeting its members' needs. In the last member opinion survey, more than 95 percent of the Cooperative's members gave CVEC either a good or an excellent rating in both customer service and electric service."

http://www.forcvec.com/about_us/index.html

The people without power own the company so maybe they need to look in the mirror for a solution to their power outages.

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

#15 Mar 10, 2013
CvilleGordo wrote:
<quoted text>
Generators: otherwise known as looter magnets. Better think twice about firing that baby up when the SHTF.
Well, if them yahoos can pick up a 500 pound generator bolted to a concrete pad, then by all means they can have it. Assuming of course, they can outrun an AR 15.

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

#16 Mar 10, 2013
Should read a 'bullet" from an AR 15.
King Ralph

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Mar 10, 2013
Greg wrote:
This is completely incorrect. This CVEC has been crying about the mud they have to work in since the storm was over. It has not been stopping other co-ops from restoring 1000's of customers a day while CVEC restores 100's a day (if they're lucky). At this rate, power will be restored by April. CVEC and their forum warriors will counter this by saying that they cover a rural area. However, Rappahannock Electrical Co-op covers just as much rural area if not more and they have restored 4000 customers today alone. The ground and rural conditions don't seem to hamper them. If CVEC spent as much time fixing the power instead of making excuses, we would have our power back.
Have you taken the time to research what percentage of CVEC's customers live in a backwater area? This storm hit the very rural customers much harder than anyone else, owing to the fact the main roads were passable by mid morning and many deeply wooded country areas couldn't been driven through until a couple of days later due to all the fallen trees. Not saying you're wrong, but it's ignorant to criticize them until you have definitive proof of incompetence. Now I know ignorance is a virtue in Central VA but even so it helps no one.
Miss Bea

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Mar 10, 2013
Pissed wrote:
This is day 5 for us and we are **** because on rout 615 off of Zion Crossroads all the homes have POWER!after you pop a hill there are about 12 homes WITHOUT power and after you go under the 64over pass there is POWER again!!!!!! So I am speaking for all of us..... Some have animals that are just as cold and fish that have died in the tanks! Food gone to waste and very stressful!!! I understand they are doing the best they can.... How about my electric bill be CHEAPER then it has been due to no POWER for 5 days!!!!!
WAA WAA WAA...take self responsibility FGS, PREPARE next time! Ever hear "Pray for the best, prepare for the worst"...try it, you'll like it!
It's a nice feeling to take care of yourself rather than depend on someone else to do it!
GoVA

Ruckersville, VA

#19 Mar 10, 2013
Pissed wrote:
This is day 5 for us and we are **** because on rout 615 off of Zion Crossroads all the homes have POWER!after you pop a hill there are about 12 homes WITHOUT power and after you go under the 64over pass there is POWER again!!!!!! So I am speaking for all of us..... Some have animals that are just as cold and fish that have died in the tanks! Food gone to waste and very stressful!!! I understand they are doing the best they can.... How about my electric bill be CHEAPER then it has been due to no POWER for 5 days!!!!!
I am assuming you do not understand how an electric company bills its customers. You want a cheaper bill because you have not had power for five days? With electricity you pay for what you use. So if you are without power for 5 days there are 5 days you are consuming power raising your bill...
Fred Houston

Sykesville, MD

#20 Mar 10, 2013
Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
If all you cry babies would belly up to the bar and get a generator, maybe you wouldn't be depending on others to make your life comfortable. My whole house generator started right up and has been running ever since. Maybe a 1 minute disruption of power.
Right on Huckleberry! I made the investment in a GE 20kw which runs my whole house and have never been without power. These cry babys as you call them, need to take a little responsibilety for themselves instead of relying on others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) 13 hr stuart Draft 6
Happy Holidays 18 hr Stan0807 1
Massive Spike In Whites Setting Blacks On Fire Dec 15 Jennylou777 1
How to... Dec 14 True Blue Local 1
99 Baboon Syndicate Dec 9 KarlsonKendrickKyle 1
Friend of alleged UVA rape victim: Story is no ... Dec 8 Ipso Facto 1
Protest outside Phi Kappa Psi house leads to fo... Dec 6 Lordy 5
Charlottesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Charlottesville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Charlottesville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:23 am PST