Cell Towers to Help Albemarle County Schools - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and We...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

If you are an AT&T subscriber heading south in Albemarle County, you might notice a signal boost near Scottsville.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
observationist

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

"...and track the safety of their students on the road. "

Huh? Can anyone explain this?
observationist

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Also, you don't need cell service to use an ipad. Wifi will do just fine, and I'm sure the school already has that. So, how exactly is this helping the schools???
Concerned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Judged:

observationist wrote:
"...and track the safety of their students on the road. "
Huh? Can anyone explain this?
All school buses are fitted with tracking devices. If the bus doesn't turn up, transportation staff can see where it is if there's cell phone service.

I don't know if school buses have radios, but given the geography of the area it's possible those wouldn't work well there either. So cell phone coverage will indeed bu useful to ensure the safety of students on the road.

I know if my kids were being transported on a country road each day, I'd prefer if the bus driver could actually call for assistance were it ever necessary.
Josh Davis - ACPS COO

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

observationist wrote:
Also, you don't need cell service to use an ipad. Wifi will do just fine, and I'm sure the school already has that. So, how exactly is this helping the schools???
In addition to far better coverage for the GPS system on school buses, school staff will now have reliable cell phone service in case of emergency. Scottsville Elementary was evacuated once last year due a very minor fire, and the principal was unable to call the central office with her cell phone.
Josh Davis - ACPS COO

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
All school buses are fitted with tracking devices. If the bus doesn't turn up, transportation staff can see where it is if there's cell phone service.
I don't know if school buses have radios, but given the geography of the area it's possible those wouldn't work well there either. So cell phone coverage will indeed bu useful to ensure the safety of students on the road.
I know if my kids were being transported on a country road each day, I'd prefer if the bus driver could actually call for assistance were it ever necessary.
School buses do have two-way radios for communicating with the Transportation Operations Center. If the bus driver were somehow disabled, the GPS system shows the exact location of the bus.
Richard Reid

Dry Fork, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2013

If the towers don't cover the areas where the children live, then they won't be able to go their homework on-line!

The county should require co-locating, in otherwords, one tower that all the providers can use together, thus reducing the need for multiple towers in one location.

I live on Redhill Road between rt20 & rt29, when will I get service???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Charlottesville Forum right now

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) 5 hr Hoolio 2,539
GA Considers Making Smoking in Car with Kids Il... (Dec '12) 7 hr Ho Lee Chyt 88
Officer James Wed freedom14 1
44 kids died in hot cars in 2013 Jul 5 Too Busy 1
Report: VA Ranked 5th Worst State for Dumping T... Jul 1 Seriously 1
Nixon out of jai!? - Why? Someone please explain (Apr '09) Jun 28 MATT 13
Shenandoah Acres???? (Jun '06) Jun 24 female 278
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000