Audit Finds Ineligible People on UVA ...

Audit Finds Ineligible People on UVA Health Plan

There are 37 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 9, 2013, titled Audit Finds Ineligible People on UVA Health Plan. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A pilot audit of the University of Virginia's health plan found 6 percent of employee dependents weren't eligible for coverage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Mar 11, 2013
Noah accountability wrote:
<quoted text>...now that FUNNY...if the co pays and cost dont go up?!? Sure...
BYW, in the documents, if I read them correctly...it states that if you did not remove a dependant when you should have...you will be responsible for ANY MEDICAL CLAIMS PAID!!
If you don't think UVA or any company will not pass the cost of insurance on to the employees, you are wrong. On the opposite side of the coin, it may in fact mean either the premiums will go up less if they find $1million, or perhaps it would offset any increased costs and result in no increase. One can only hope.

Glad you read the fine print -- I don't have dependents on my insurance (both of us work and have our own insurance), so I don't have to worry about it at this time. If that is the case, I would hope Aetna will go after any employees committing fraud.

Scene enough

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Mar 11, 2013
Well when I kicked my husband out, in May of last year, I tried to take him off the following business day. I wanted nothing to do with him possibly being able to benefit from something I work hard for. I am not allowed to take him off until the proof of divorce is shown to them. Which will be final in a couple of months. So, its not just a matter of making a phone call and having someone removed immediately. Regardless of how much I want him off.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Mar 11, 2013
Scene enough wrote:
Well when I kicked my husband out, in May of last year, I tried to take him off the following business day. I wanted nothing to do with him possibly being able to benefit from something I work hard for. I am not allowed to take him off until the proof of divorce is shown to them. Which will be final in a couple of months. So, its not just a matter of making a phone call and having someone removed immediately. Regardless of how much I want him off.
I would be as anxious to do so as you are -- I guess that is what amazes me why people keep their ex-spouses on their insurance since they are paying for it. I can only assume they have a "mutually beneficial" arrangement and are both totally aware that they are committing fraud.

Best of luck to you!
Deb A UVA employee

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Mar 11, 2013
UVA isn't abiding by the Affordable Care Law in the letter they sent to us. Also, they shared our and our children's names and birthdates and our home address with another company, Xerox.
The Affordable Care Law ( http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/newsroom/fsdependentc... ) says, "Plans and issuers that offer dependent coverage must offer coverage to enrollees' adult children until age 26, even if the young adult no longer lives with his or her parents, is not a dependent on a parent's tax return, or is no longer a student."
That letter that Xerox/UVA is sending to us says, "Legal guardianship and legal custody dependents must meet the following additional requirements: 1) remain unmarried; 2) reside full-time with the employee in a regular parent-child relationship; 3) is declared as a dependent on the employee's federal income tax return; 4) and had permanent custody awarded prior to the child's 18th birthday."
UVA, BTW, shared our personal information without our consent, with an outside company, Xerox, who is actually sending out the letters to us (with our children’s' names and birthdates to our home address) asking us to send our children’s' birth certificates to them, Xerox, not UVA.
Also, UVA/Xerox writes, "Employees with ineligible dependents improperly enrolled on their policy will be responsible for the costs of incurred claims, and may be suspended from the health plan for up to 3 years."
We have health insurance through Aetna at UVA Medical Center, which was one of the first insurance companies to go along with The Affordable Care Law even before it was a law. Please see this link: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/newsroom/fsdependentc...
Also, in the letter from Xerox/UVA, after all they've written about eligibility and having us check off items of eligibility under our children’s' names and birthdates (Xerox mind you writing our children’s' names and birthdates), they have a box that says, "Voluntary Removal: I have reviewed the eligibility guidelines and the person noted above is no longer eligible for coverage. By selecting this option, I acknowledge and understand their coverage will be terminated, effective April 30, 2013"
I wonder how many parents took their children off "voluntarily." Why did UVA use Xerox?
outrage

Charlottesville, VA

#25 Mar 11, 2013
most of the scammers are probably illegal aliens here to steal health care and education
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Mar 11, 2013
Deb A UVA employee wrote:
( http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/newsroom/fsdependentc... ) says, "Plans and issuers that offer dependent coverage must offer coverage to enrollees' adult children until age 26, even if the young adult no longer lives with his or her parents, is not a dependent on a parent's tax return, or is no longer a student."
That letter that Xerox/UVA is sending to us says, "Legal guardianship and legal custody dependents must meet the following additional requirements: 1) remain unmarried; 2) reside full-time with the employee in a regular parent-child relationship; 3) is declared as a dependent on the employee's federal income tax return; 4) and had permanent custody awarded prior to the child's 18th birthday."
UVA, BTW, shared our personal information without our consent, with an outside company, Xerox, who is actually sending out the letters to us (with our children’s' names and birthdates to our home address) asking us to send our children’s' birth certificates to them, Xerox, not UVA.
Also, UVA/Xerox writes, "Employees with ineligible dependents improperly enrolled on their policy will be responsible for the costs of incurred claims, and may be suspended from the health plan for up to 3 years."
That letter is incorrect.
Gru

United States

#30 Mar 11, 2013
I have to ask why there is even a Benefits department and why UVa is shelling out for salaries (probably well above the State average -- that the rest of us don't make!), when CLEARLY the work is not being done!! How hard is it to AT LEAST keep a database of dependent children and then every day, run a report of those children turning 26? From that list, you notify the insurance company to HALT coverage. Simple as that. I would think any employee would NOT care to keep their "Ex" on the insurance and have to continue to pay for them, and if an employee wants to add a spouse -- THAT's when you ask for the marriage license and then ... here's a helpful suggestion for you, Benefits -- KEEP IT ON FILE!!
Gru

United States

#31 Mar 11, 2013
I wish wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww, you're so cute thinking that UVA would ever fire anyone they should. This place is a sick, moldy breedy ground for bullies and cowards in leadership who are too chickens**t to stand up to them.
Boy, you said a mouthful!!! Particularly about the bullies in leadership!!(we've got one running our dept) Also plenty of worms out there, too -- they worm their way up the right rear-ends, all the while doing as little as possible and dumping work along their way!
Dude

Spotsylvania, VA

#32 Mar 11, 2013
Gru wrote:
I have to ask why there is even a Benefits department and why UVa is shelling out for salaries (probably well above the State average -- that the rest of us don't make!), when CLEARLY the work is not being done!! How hard is it to AT LEAST keep a database of dependent children and then every day, run a report of those children turning 26? From that list, you notify the insurance company to HALT coverage. Simple as that. I would think any employee would NOT care to keep their "Ex" on the insurance and have to continue to pay for them, and if an employee wants to add a spouse -- THAT's when you ask for the marriage license and then ... here's a helpful suggestion for you, Benefits -- KEEP IT ON FILE!!
I guess you haven't been paying attention to the 'living wage' malcontents?
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#33 Mar 11, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
If people didn't get sick it wouldn't be an issue.
Reminds me of the republican health plan: don't get sick.
nooo

Farmville, VA

#34 Mar 11, 2013
I wish wrote:
<quoted text>
Awww, you're so cute thinking that UVA would ever fire anyone they should. This place is a sick, moldy breedy ground for bullies and cowards in leadership who are too chickens**t to stand up to them.
why is that???? I know a girl that I work with goes out to lunch longer than 1hr and talks long hrs. on the phone get on facebook the boss does nothing
By The Way

Chesapeake, OH

#35 Mar 11, 2013
nooo wrote:
<quoted text>
why is that???? I know a girl that I work with goes out to lunch longer than 1hr and talks long hrs. on the phone get on facebook the boss does nothing
Report that to the bosses boss.
Type a letter on your own computer & send it in an envelope, anonymously to the bosses boss. Get other people to do it also.

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#36 Mar 12, 2013
King Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about Government run healthcare, just single payer (they aren't synonyms btw). France has a very good system, a base government insurance option with the ability to buy private, premium insurance coverage (of course the French tend to be healthier than Americans).
The biggest benefit of the US system is that our research and development of new medical procedures and drugs is light years ahead of anywhere else. The tradeoff is that even in the non-government parts of the system, there is an unbelievable amount of profiteering, waste, fraud, back alley sweetheart deals for doctors who will perform unnecessary surgeries or prescriptions, nepotistic regulation from the FDA (especially on drugs), and money shuffled to the board members at the top to the detriment of small time doctors, staff, and patients.
And anyone who thinks Obamacare is either an actual single payer system, or is anything but a huge tax is an idiot. It does nothing to address the major issues we have. Of course, nothing the Republicans have offered as an alternative is worth anything either, because they're getting almost as many kickbacks from the industry as Democrats.
"France has a very good system"

France also just passed a 75% tax bracket for top earners. And you really haven't had a look behind the scenes in France have you? Why do you think that many of their citizens travel here for complex surgeries?

And I never said that Obamacare was single payer. But it's what he wants.
King Ralph

Gladys, VA

#37 Mar 12, 2013
C-Ville Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>"France has a very good system"
France also just passed a 75% tax bracket for top earners. And you really haven't had a look behind the scenes in France have you? Why do you think that many of their citizens travel here for complex surgeries?
And I never said that Obamacare was single payer. But it's what he wants.
LOL as if tax rates have anything to do with amount spent per citizen on government health care. Why not quote their per capita GDP too? It has just about as much relevance.

Did you even read anything I wrote? The American healthcare system is distinguished in that we basically fund all medical research for new technologies, we are practically the world's R&D and can perform operations and techniques no other country can. But like ANY new adopters, we pay top dollar for it, which is impoverishing the common man, and to boot, the amount of waste and fraud far outstrips the amount of productive spending.

People in America are wondering why we're not getting raises like we did 20 years ago, well the answer is we actually are, and those raises are going straight to the wastecare system, which annually on average has costs that have gone up NINE percent almost like clockwork. If the automotive industry had such insane price hikes (which they would be able to if we got them through employers, like health care), we'd be paying $75,000 for last year's model of SUV. No one would ever stand for that, why are we standing for this?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#38 Mar 12, 2013
Calm yourself

Charlottesville, VA

#39 Mar 12, 2013
Noah accountability wrote:
<quoted text>...MY point is, IF the person(s) ressponsible for this job of verifying and upkeeping the records actually did the job, UVA would not have to pay (I wonder what that cost is) an OUTSIDE company to do this. THIS increases the risk of identity theft and is an invasion of MY privacy. I have no problem providing DIRECTLY to my employer
anything they need to secure healh care coverage for me and my family.
About that "cost" of the audit that you are so concerned about: A pilot program that already checked 10 percent of employees with dependents found 6 percent were ineligible.
By removing those 90 people, UVa already made back the $120,000 cost of the third-party audit.
Noah

Morrow, GA

#40 Mar 12, 2013
Calm yourself wrote:
<quoted text>
About that "cost" of the audit that you are so concerned about: A pilot program that already checked 10 percent of employees with dependents found 6 percent were ineligible.
By removing those 90 people, UVa already made back the $120,000 cost of the third-party audit.
Do YOU have health insurance? Do you have Rx coverage, please
go get yourself on the correct medication that you clearly need.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Administrators Dance on Top of School to Thank ... (May '13) Fri Corrupt 5
News Two Fluvanna Schools Could Close, Parents Speak... (Feb '13) Fri Corrupt 23
News 'All that Confederate stuff' leads to endorseme... Apr 26 Corey is the man 1
Sex on TV Apr 24 FMP- 1
News Charlottesville businessman who admitted to ste... Apr 23 Our President Trump 1
News Gillespie, Stewart argue at Smith Mountain Lake... Apr 23 Our President Trump 2
News Democrat Roger Dean Huffstetler to run against ... Apr 23 Our President Trump 1

Charlottesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages