Scottsville Man Indicted on Larceny o...

Scottsville Man Indicted on Larceny of an Animal

There are 19 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jan 30, 2013, titled Scottsville Man Indicted on Larceny of an Animal. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A Scottsville man is scheduled to face trial after a grand jury indicted him Monday for felony larceny of an animal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

james brown

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Feb 4, 2013
Dork!
Confused

Dillwyn, VA

#2 Feb 4, 2013
I am confused. If you sexually assault someone in Scottsville you get off with a slap on the wrist, but if you kill a dog, you get charged with a felony?
Scottsville must be a great place to live.
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Feb 5, 2013
Both cases are a joke. Nothing will happen to this man who killed a dog - he wouldn't need a trial if it had been my dog!!! There is a special place in h___ for people like him!
Dude

Alexandria, VA

#5 Feb 5, 2013
Bad law, it was on his property... He's a d-bag if the dog wasn't molesting anything on his property, but it's his none the less
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Feb 5, 2013
Dude wrote:
Bad law, it was on his property... He's a d-bag if the dog wasn't molesting anything on his property, but it's his none the less
That is just so wrong!
Dude

Alexandria, VA

#7 Feb 5, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>That is just so wrong!
why?
Dude

Alexandria, VA

#8 Feb 5, 2013
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>That is just so wrong!
let me follow up... I love my dogs and all of them were pound dogs and are all treated like family members. Heck, I like my dogs better than I like most people. Our dogs eat better than 95% of the people in the world eats, and probably healthier than 99%; but as a staunch believer of personal property rights, I have to remain consistent. Like I posted, if the dog was doing nothing wrong, IMO, he's guilty of being a D-Bag,and the dog's owner was guilty of trespass, negligence, or failure to control his property.
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Feb 5, 2013
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>why?
He shot a dog with a collar - there's more to this story than is being reported...would he shoot a child if it walked on his property - probably so being the nut case he is!
lawgirl

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Feb 5, 2013
First of all, I would never shoot a dog or any animal for that matter. However, I do know many people are upset over all of the hunting dogs coming on to their property thanks to irresponsible hunters. I live in a gated community and the hunters turn their dogs loose outside the gate. Then, a pack of 50 dogs run through the neighborhood chasing deer out which causes damage to property, homeowners personal pets are sent fleeing for their lives, trash cans are unturned, they run out in front of your car, and deer are running into your fences, cars, etc. Maybe the hunters need to be held accountable for endangering their dogs.
Law Abiding

Dillwyn, VA

#12 Feb 5, 2013
Dude you're off point. He does not own that dog once it runs onto his property, and the owner is not guilty of anything. Great that you have pound dogs, and if one runs onto an adjoining property they are protected under the same laws this guy is being prosecuted for breaking. I'd guess you'd prefer to not have them shot on sight once they leave your property boundries?
This is a case of the execution of a hunting dog, that legally entered his property under the law. He knew he was breaking the law when he shot it. He knew he was shooting someones pet. He knew that it was wrong and he should be punished accordingly.
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Feb 5, 2013
Law Abiding wrote:
Dude you're off point. He does not own that dog once it runs onto his property, and the owner is not guilty of anything. Great that you have pound dogs, and if one runs onto an adjoining property they are protected under the same laws this guy is being prosecuted for breaking. I'd guess you'd prefer to not have them shot on sight once they leave your property boundries?
This is a case of the execution of a hunting dog, that legally entered his property under the law. He knew he was breaking the law when he shot it. He knew he was shooting someones pet. He knew that it was wrong and he should be punished accordingly.
He knew he was breaking the law and that's why he lied....Thank you, Law Abiding!
rocktown

Harrisonburg, VA

#14 Feb 5, 2013
"The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs." - Charles de Gaulle
WOW

Palmyra, VA

#15 Feb 5, 2013
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>For one,a dog and a child aren't equivalent, and two; if one's parents allowed there kid to wonder around like a dog, they're not fit. The dog retrieval law is nothing more than legalized trespass.
But Its Still Not The Dogs Place To Pay For It ...
lawgirl

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Feb 5, 2013
Law Abiding states - "he knew he was shooting someones pet."

Well, I would never treat my pet that way by half starving them, unspayed, unneutered, not on heartworm preventative, living outdoors, full of wounds, raw feet, torn and shredded ears, and then permitting them to run across property that isn't mine, crossing roads and getting hit and killed by a car, or heaven forbid, causing someone to wreck their car and them dying (which happens, by the way). Hunting dogs are permitted to destroy private property, chase private citizens cats, poop on private citizens property, knock over trash cans, and walk the streets hungry for days waiting for some lazy hunter to pick him up. Then, as a tax payer, I get to pay for my county shelter to house the dog no one picked up, and pay to have it euthanized, put in a garbage bag and thrown in my local landfill.

Anyone else's dog gets loose and they are assessed a fine for letting their dog wander at large.

I am so sorry the dog was shot and killed. I really am. Hounds make wonderful PETS. but instead they are treated like garbage.
Fluco Reader

Richmond, VA

#17 Feb 5, 2013
A property owner no longer has rights -- whether the dog was destroying his property or not -- who knows. This isn't fair - either way. A dog can be replaced and he should be made to pay for the dog or replace it with the same breed.
Saywhatnow

Rocky Mount, VA

#18 Feb 5, 2013
I have never heard of larceny of an animal.
citizen

Crozet, VA

#19 Feb 5, 2013
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>let me follow up... I love my dogs and all of them were pound dogs and are all treated like family members. Heck, I like my dogs better than I like most people. Our dogs eat better than 95% of the people in the world eats, and probably healthier than 99%; but as a staunch believer of personal property rights, I have to remain consistent. Like I posted, if the dog was doing nothing wrong, IMO, he's guilty of being a D-Bag,and the dog's owner was guilty of trespass, negligence, or failure to control his property.
Your dogs should eat better than the average city resident since they no doubt do more work than their dead weight human counterparts.
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Feb 6, 2013
Fluco Reader wrote:
A property owner no longer has rights -- whether the dog was destroying his property or not -- who knows. This isn't fair - either way. A dog can be replaced and he should be made to pay for the dog or replace it with the same breed.
"That" dog/pet can not be replaced just because of the mean actions of that man! He needs to be punished!
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Feb 6, 2013
lawgirl wrote:
First of all, I would never shoot a dog or any animal for that matter. However, I do know many people are upset over all of the hunting dogs coming on to their property thanks to irresponsible hunters. I live in a gated community and the hunters turn their dogs loose outside the gate. Then, a pack of 50 dogs run through the neighborhood chasing deer out which causes damage to property, homeowners personal pets are sent fleeing for their lives, trash cans are unturned, they run out in front of your car, and deer are running into your fences, cars, etc. Maybe the hunters need to be held accountable for endangering their dogs.
Uh huh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dominion Energy launches commercials to build p... Aug 25 tom 3
I'm horny as hell (Oct '14) Aug 20 sider 2
What should I do Aug 19 YesmanYES 1
News Kyle Long Arrested in Charlottesville (Jan '09) Aug 19 YesmanYES 82
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert (May '14) Aug 17 Bill 5
Taylor Despojo of Cebu Phillipines is fugitive ... Aug 12 Rivanna 1
News Local Painter Finishes Mural at Starr Hill Jul '15 steve pritt 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages