Albemarle Police Department Hosts Fir...

Albemarle Police Department Hosts First Animal Summit - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spor...

There are 29 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 12, 2012, titled Albemarle Police Department Hosts First Animal Summit - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spor.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Monday night, the Albemarle County Police Department hosted its first ever Animal Summit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

#29 Nov 13, 2012
Rex wrote:
<quoted text>Do these dogs have roofs over there heads. Horses & cows aren't domesticated like dogs are. There might be rare exceptions that people might keep these large animals in their homes. Alot of ranchers out west make sure their livestock are kept warm. You shouldn't have animals if you can't properly take care of them! I'm sure you keep warm.
These dogs would be dead already if they had not been taken in. I don't know the owner, but I suspect that the dogs are very happy with their situaton. It was an act of kindness. It is wrong to portray it as neglect.
Colt 45

Charlottesville, VA

#30 Nov 13, 2012
Rex wrote:
<quoted text>Do these dogs have roofs over there heads. Horses & cows aren't domesticated like dogs are. There might be rare exceptions that people might keep these large animals in their homes. Alot of ranchers out west make sure their livestock are kept warm. You shouldn't have animals if you can't properly take care of them! I'm sure you keep warm.
Did you not read the post,it said that their beds were stuffed with straw,That would be a dog house if you have never seen one,As i also said these dogs were dropped out at my place,no i did not want them but also did not want them to be put down by the SPCA either.I was told that if they were not claimed within 2 weeks they would be put to sleep.2 have been in my care for over 5 years and the 1 going on 2 years.
By your reasoning should i have just shot them?
lawgirl

Charlottesville, VA

#31 Nov 13, 2012
I live in Louisa. Same crap there. No one ever comes to pick up the dogs. No one feeds the dogs. No one spays and neuters the dogs. They end up being everyone else's problem. They live in poop filled pens, have shredded ears from fighting for what little food they get, and are turned loose to fend for themselves. They overflow our county shelters and the rest of us taxpayers get to foot the bill for lazy hunters who sit in a truck and chase deer with half starved dogs. How about microchipping your dogs? Then you can pay for their room and board at the county shelter until you come and get them so someone knows who they belong to. Mandatory spay neuter, too. And I don't just mean the dogs.
Scottsville

Charlottesville, VA

#34 Nov 15, 2012
Can't speak for everyone but we pick up our hunting dogs and feed them. I am sure they get into things they shouldn't sometimes. They are dogs. Everyone is not the same. Here is an idea if you don't like hunting and the dogs that go along with it don't buy 2 acers surronded by 20 thousand acers of leased hunting land.
GoTellitOnTheMtn

Bronx, NY

#35 Nov 15, 2012
There's some people that live in Louisa county that feed their hunting dogs every other day. Too me this is abuse. A friend of mine said one of the dogs was loose & she fed it & the owner of the dog was livid when they found out. A dog should be fed everyday with fresh water. She should have reported this.
Colt 45

Charlottesville, VA

#36 Nov 15, 2012
Scottsville wrote:
Can't speak for everyone but we pick up our hunting dogs and feed them. I am sure they get into things they shouldn't sometimes. They are dogs. Everyone is not the same. Here is an idea if you don't like hunting and the dogs that go along with it don't buy 2 acers surronded by 20 thousand acers of leased hunting land.
I would have to disagree with your comments regarding people who buy 2 acres
or 10 acres of land,They brought and paid for it including property taxes and if they do not want your dogs on it that should be their decision.
I have no problem with people hunting but there are some who ride around and let loose 10 to 20 dogs on peoples property with out their permission,even if i wanted to hunt on my land there is no chance of seeing anything after these dogs have run everything out.
Never understood why anyone would want to eat a deer that has been run to death anyway.
You expressed your opinion,but consider other people rights to.
Scottsville

Charlottesville, VA

#37 Nov 15, 2012
Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to disagree with your comments regarding people who buy 2 acres
or 10 acres of land,They brought and paid for it including property taxes and if they do not want your dogs on it that should be their decision.
I have no problem with people hunting but there are some who ride around and let loose 10 to 20 dogs on peoples property with out their permission,even if i wanted to hunt on my land there is no chance of seeing anything after these dogs have run everything out.
Never understood why anyone would want to eat a deer that has been run to death anyway.
You expressed your opinion,but consider other people rights to.
I agree with you and repecting someones land, however no one is going to pull in your driveway and turn 20 dogs out. The cases we are dealing with is one dog showing up at someones house and they call animal contol. We have name paltes on the dogs so that we can be contactd and also have tracking devices on them. People take the collars off thrown them in the river beat them with hammers and everything you can imagine. All I am saying is that hunting has been around for ages and if you move to an area that is surroned by leased land for that purpose expect a few dogs from time to time. Don't understand why people can't work with one another.
Colt 45

Warrenton, VA

#38 Nov 15, 2012
Scottsville wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you and repecting someones land, however no one is going to pull in your driveway and turn 20 dogs out. The cases we are dealing with is one dog showing up at someones house and they call animal contol. We have name paltes on the dogs so that we can be contactd and also have tracking devices on them. People take the collars off thrown them in the river beat them with hammers and everything you can imagine. All I am saying is that hunting has been around for ages and if you move to an area that is surroned by leased land for that purpose expect a few dogs from time to time. Don't understand why people can't work with one another.
I understand what you're sayin,I would not remove any dog collars or tracking devises,
But the problem where i live is a dead end gravel road maybe 1/2 mile in lenght and the propeties are between 5 to 10 acres on both sides of this road,just last year i had a pickup stop just pass my home and released at least 10 hounds and quickly pulled off before i could get a tag number.This is not the first time either.
If any hunters dogs come on my property and if i can catch them i would be more than glad to call if theres a number on their collar,but you can see mt problem also.
Good Luck hunting and have a safe season.
Scottsville

Charlottesville, VA

#39 Nov 16, 2012
Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you're sayin,I would not remove any dog collars or tracking devises,
But the problem where i live is a dead end gravel road maybe 1/2 mile in lenght and the propeties are between 5 to 10 acres on both sides of this road,just last year i had a pickup stop just pass my home and released at least 10 hounds and quickly pulled off before i could get a tag number.This is not the first time either.
If any hunters dogs come on my property and if i can catch them i would be more than glad to call if theres a number on their collar,but you can see mt problem also.
Good Luck hunting and have a safe season.
Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Va Medicaid expansion Wed Patient X 1
Looking for a couple of homeless people Feb 6 Hospitalityhouseg... 5
Looking for dick Feb 5 Denny 2
News Albemarle May Soon Have More Panhandling Feb 3 screwem 5
Teresa Casey... Jan 17 Sam 1
News Police Find City Woman On I-64 Jan '16 Debra 1
I'm horny as hell (Oct '14) Jan '16 Forever_Angel 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages