Albemarle Police Department Hosts First Animal Summit - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Spor...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Monday night, the Albemarle County Police Department hosted its first ever Animal Summit.
Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Nov 16, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bly

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

The panel vet Cori Lews sold out our dogs by stating that they were "okay" outside all year and only needed a "box on a porch" or a "little windbreak" to be safe. This is inaccurate; hounds have no undercoat and they suffer through the winters similar to a human wearing a light jacket. No credible professional advocates leaving a dog outdoors through all seasons. She has damaged her co-workers by disseminating this irresponsible pet ownership advice. And she has hurt those of us who truly try to help the public understand proper care of animals.
Anonymouse

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

I'm sorry (I'm not sorry), but why should hunters get a pass here? My dogs are not trained to hunt down prey and would love the chance to romp in the woods unhindered by leashes. But, because I am not a hunter, it is prohibited? The leash and control laws are there to keep dogs from wandering. Why should a portion of the dog population get a "pass" from this responsibility?
Porknbeans

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

bly wrote:
The panel vet Cori Lews sold out our dogs by stating that they were "okay" outside all year and only needed a "box on a porch" or a "little windbreak" to be safe. This is inaccurate; hounds have no undercoat and they suffer through the winters similar to a human wearing a light jacket. No credible professional advocates leaving a dog outdoors through all seasons. She has damaged her co-workers by disseminating this irresponsible pet ownership advice. And she has hurt those of us who truly try to help the public understand proper care of animals.
You are right-on; if you love and care for your working dogs (and of course pets), you don't leave them outside ALL year. They're not machines, even machines have min-max recommended operating temperatures and environments !
Depending on the breed, they can handle high/low temperatures differently.
How much do you love your dogs?
TEX

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

I have a dogowner in my area whose pack of mongrels have killed every cat in the area and are still roaming the roadsides seeking more prey this is NOT s hunter but just a scoff law I have been growled at on my own property and the animal was lucky that I was unarmed at the time I have since corrected my lack of protection and await an opportunity to remove this one part of the problem
Native

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Anonymouse wrote:
I'm sorry (I'm not sorry), but why should hunters get a pass here? My dogs are not trained to hunt down prey and would love the chance to romp in the woods unhindered by leashes. But, because I am not a hunter, it is prohibited? The leash and control laws are there to keep dogs from wandering. Why should a portion of the dog population get a "pass" from this responsibility?
do it on you own land!
Special Interest

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Anonymouse wrote:
The same reason why someone with five acres can let their dogs bark endlessly. Because a loophole was created to allow it. It doesn't mean it is right, just that it can be done. Unfortunately some people have no regard for others.
Obama Dem

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Why I do believe the time of hunting with dogs in Albemarle County is about at an end. This has been a long time in evolving and is well past due.
Sarg

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

"Bona fide" hunting with dogs is fine; after all something must be done to control a deer population that has exploded in recent years.But hunters must realize that, as a general rule, dogs don't know where property lines are, and that , under State law, hunters are responsible for any and all damages to persons, livestock and property caused by their dogs.
laughable

Moneta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

I own a dog, and I do not hunt. Multiple times this last year I have called animal control about packs of dogs that come on my property, chase my dog and threaten my cats, only to be told they are hunting dogs. I don't want a hunting dog exception. Your "sport" does not give you the right to disrupt my home.
bly

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Animal Control is trying to address animal welfare in a community where support for their work is weak, at best. We are lucky to have the officers we have. Someone needs to enforce the fact that the right to hunt does NOT extend to the right to mistreat a companion animal.
Obama Dem

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

You sure wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not win the popular vote. Which means there are less stupid people like you, than you think.
What parts of this are you not understanding?

Popular Vote 2012

Obama Romney
Total: 62,280,959 58,899,127
Percent: 50.6% 47.8%
Dem and I hunt

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

You sure wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not win the popular vote. Which means there are less stupid people like you, than you think.
Yes we did. See below. You should really quit watching Fox news lmao.

Barack Obama 62283914 51% 332
Mitt Romney 58905252 48% 206
Anonymouse

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Native wrote:
<quoted text>
do it on you own land!
I am not saying that I want my dogs to be able to run free, I simply think it is ridiculous that some dogs are allowed to run free just because they are "hunting dogs".
Obama Dem

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Anonymouse wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not saying that I want my dogs to be able to run free, I simply think it is ridiculous that some dogs are allowed to run free just because they are "hunting dogs".
My dogs run free all the time on my farm land. They are working pets and it's why I have them...to guard the area. I don't hunt anymore but do welcome a select few who use my property in a responsible manner.
Colt 45

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Porknbeans wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right-on; if you love and care for your working dogs (and of course pets), you don't leave them outside ALL year. They're not machines, even machines have min-max recommended operating temperatures and environments !
Depending on the breed, they can handle high/low temperatures differently.
How much do you love your dogs?
I have 3 dogs that were dropped on the rural road where i live and yes they do live outside all year,They have plenty of food ,water, and lots of straw in their beds.
I have paid for their shots and tags and having them spayed because i did not want them to be put to sleep,if this does not meet your requirements you can come and keep them in your home,Whats the difference between horses,cows,you want to keep these in your home as well.
Obama Dem

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 3 dogs that were dropped on the rural road where i live and yes they do live outside all year,They have plenty of food ,water, and lots of straw in their beds.
I have paid for their shots and tags and having them spayed because i did not want them to be put to sleep,if this does not meet your requirements you can come and keep them in your home,Whats the difference between horses,cows,you want to keep these in your home as well.
Mine are kept in much the same manner but I use heat lamps at night when cold....I don't think it matters much to them but it makes me feel better.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Hunting with dogs is not hunting, its herding and killing, and some people probably take better care of their dogs than they do their kids.
George S

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Its all rather Orwellian. Yetm the Big Brother is a group who can be voted out--if anyone bothers to vote them out.
George S

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

bly wrote:
Animal Control is trying to address animal welfare in a community where support for their work is weak, at best. We are lucky to have the officers we have. Someone needs to enforce the fact that the right to hunt does NOT extend to the right to mistreat a companion animal.
The actual issue started as a real estate promotion to ensure airheaded people that living in the wild wild country of Albemarle (try not to laugh) new homeowners would not have to worry about Cujo.
Rex

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do these dogs have roofs over there heads. Horses & cows aren't domesticated like dogs are. There might be rare exceptions that people might keep these large animals in their homes. Alot of ranchers out west make sure their livestock are kept warm. You shouldn't have animals if you can't properly take care of them! I'm sure you keep warm.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Charlottesville Discussions

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlottesville is Happy 23 hr Dick Hurtz 1
Review: Bellair Cleaning Services Jul 20 Harry Balls_n_Busta Nut 2
Albemarle seeks input on changing rules for rur... Jul 17 bulk 2
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
Two Men Charged in Connection with Double Stabb... Jul 14 Shane 1
UPDATED: Sheriff's Office Investigating Disappe... Jul 14 Robin Floyd 1
Stabbing Sends Man to the Hospital - NBC29 WVIR... (Aug '11) Jul 14 Anonymous 15
•••
•••
•••
Charlottesville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••