Sending Toys to Those in Need with Op...

Sending Toys to Those in Need with Operation Christmas Child - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA New...

There are 13 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 8, 2012, titled Sending Toys to Those in Need with Operation Christmas Child - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA New.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

People are volunteering all over Central Virginia to shop for children in need. They're spending their time and money to brighten someone's holiday, and the presents are coming in an unlikely form: shoe boxes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Take care of your own

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Nov 8, 2012
What about children in need right here in America? America ships jobs overseas, sends money to terrorist backed governments and governments that do not support us in times of need. I will support the angel tree locally and that's it...America has turned into one big sell-out!
Sunny2468

Fincastle, VA

#3 Nov 8, 2012
Wow, I always thought The Grinch Who Stole Christmas was just a story book and Ebenezer Scrooge would be long dead by now. Shows what I know--the first two posters are Grinch and Scrooge all over again.

For the first poster, the effort of the Christmas Child gifts does not end at one day. The same organization builds schools and does many more beneficial humanitarian services. Besides, even if this is all they did--give one gift--what child would rather have nothing if they couldn't have 365 days of presents?

For poster #2--the same people who are generous with children in other countries are also generous with children in our own country. I do about seven shoe boxes each year, which cost about $200, but I spend much more than that on presents for the poor children in Appalachia, right here in Virginia and West Virginia. In the fall, I spend at least $100 on school supplies for children right in my county. Me, personally, and my church gives to local missions throughout the year. We are a very small church, but we sponsor and buy whole Christmases, including food for about 15 families.

Instead of spewing vitriol about any efforts to make Christmas joyful for whomever we can, you should find some way to give to others and find the joy in your own heart from looking outside your own needs to others in need.
GOP

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Nov 8, 2012
Sunny2468 wrote:
Wow, I always thought The Grinch Who Stole Christmas was just a story book and Ebenezer Scrooge would be long dead by now. Shows what I know--the first two posters are Grinch and Scrooge all over again.
For the first poster, the effort of the Christmas Child gifts does not end at one day. The same organization builds schools and does many more beneficial humanitarian services. Besides, even if this is all they did--give one gift--what child would rather have nothing if they couldn't have 365 days of presents?
For poster #2--the same people who are generous with children in other countries are also generous with children in our own country. I do about seven shoe boxes each year, which cost about $200, but I spend much more than that on presents for the poor children in Appalachia, right here in Virginia and West Virginia. In the fall, I spend at least $100 on school supplies for children right in my county. Me, personally, and my church gives to local missions throughout the year. We are a very small church, but we sponsor and buy whole Christmases, including food for about 15 families.
Instead of spewing vitriol about any efforts to make Christmas joyful for whomever we can, you should find some way to give to others and find the joy in your own heart from looking outside your own needs to others in need.
Great story....keep up the good works!
Take care of you own

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Nov 8, 2012
Sunny2468 wrote:
Wow, I always thought The Grinch Who Stole Christmas was just a story book and Ebenezer Scrooge would be long dead by now. Shows what I know--the first two posters are Grinch and Scrooge all over again.
For the first poster, the effort of the Christmas Child gifts does not end at one day. The same organization builds schools and does many more beneficial humanitarian services. Besides, even if this is all they did--give one gift--what child would rather have nothing if they couldn't have 365 days of presents?
For poster #2--the same people who are generous with children in other countries are also generous with children in our own country. I do about seven shoe boxes each year, which cost about $200, but I spend much more than that on presents for the poor children in Appalachia, right here in Virginia and West Virginia. In the fall, I spend at least $100 on school supplies for children right in my county. Me, personally, and my church gives to local missions throughout the year. We are a very small church, but we sponsor and buy whole Christmases, including food for about 15 families.
Instead of spewing vitriol about any efforts to make Christmas joyful for whomever we can, you should find some way to give to others and find the joy in your own heart from looking outside your own needs to others in need.
Good for u...now your opinion is like an a****** everybody has one so do not shoot down my opinion because the truth hurts!!!!!!
Friend

Fairfield, VA

#6 Nov 8, 2012
The organization behind Operation Christmas Child, Samaritan's Purse, does much more than this one humanitarian effort, though this is what they are most known for.

Right now they are on the ground in New York and New Jersey helping with hurricane Sandy relief. They have been doing U.S. disaster relief for many years. The $7 donated to ship each shoebox also supplies funds to support relief efforts in our own country.

As for doing something for one day a year and nothing for the other 364, this is what else the organization does:

"Samaritan's Purse community development programs transform villages and neighborhoods, and help families become self-supporting. Livestock and farm projects supply nutritious food and a means of income. Vocation training provides desperately needed job skills. School construction and education projects give children in remote areas an opportunity to break the cycle of ignorance and poverty."

This is a Christian organization, so they have shipped no jobs overseas, nor have they sent money to terrorist-backed governments or any governments. They help the people directly.

Scrooge

Fairfield, VA

#7 Nov 8, 2012
Take care of your own wrote:
What about children in need right here in America? America ships jobs overseas, sends money to terrorist backed governments and governments that do not support us in times of need. I will support the angel tree locally and that's it...America has turned into one big sell-out!
You keep right on donating a whole one dollar at Walmart for the angel tree and feel good about yourself for the whole year. Those greedy kids don't need Christmas presents. Anyway, why should Santa Clause get all the credit when you have shelled out a hard earned dollar to give one of them a pack of gum.
Take care of your own

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Nov 8, 2012
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>You keep right on donating a whole one dollar at Walmart for the angel tree and feel good about yourself for the whole year. Those greedy kids don't need Christmas presents. Anyway, why should Santa Clause get all the credit when you have shelled out a hard earned dollar to give one of them a pack of gum.
Don't go to Wal-Mart, moron, I believe the Angel Tree is @Fashion Square. Check your facts Mr. Scrooge!
Grinches Are Good

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Nov 8, 2012
Scrooge wrote:
<quoted text>You keep right on donating a whole one dollar at Walmart for the angel tree and feel good about yourself for the whole year. Those greedy kids don't need Christmas presents. Anyway, why should Santa Clause get all the credit when you have shelled out a hard earned dollar to give one of them a pack of gum.
You can go to Wal-Mart and send a chinese made gift back to china...
Giver

Stanardsville, VA

#10 Nov 8, 2012
A portion of the shoeboxes do stay right here in the United States. Samaritan's Purse does a ton of relief effort here in the United States. They go where there is a need. No politics, just helping. Personally, it costs very little to fill a shoebox. I think the return is well worth it.
well-

United States

#11 Nov 8, 2012
NOT JUST A TOY!
Do you know how many things you can fit in a shoe box? Books, bibles, gloves, socks, gum, toothbrush & paste, hand sanitizer, soap, pencils & note pads, and yes a few toys, crackers & cheese, chips. I fit all of those things in a shoe box (or three) every year - one for each of the children I have been Blessed with.
Lots of these things are things that some of those children will never have access to and they get such joy from getting those. BOoh in the US and abroad. Why would anyone begrudge those children a Christmas gift with no strings attached? Most of you sound like jealous little children yourselves. What a shame that you would try to turn this lovely program into a bad thing.
well-

United States

#12 Nov 8, 2012
oh, and go ahead and show just how mature you are by putting all the little "judge" symbols on my post. You are such a bully! LOL
Sunny2468

Fairfield, VA

#13 Nov 8, 2012
well- wrote:
NOT JUST A TOY!
Do you know how many things you can fit in a shoe box? Books, bibles, gloves, socks, gum, toothbrush & paste, hand sanitizer, soap, pencils & note pads, and yes a few toys,**** & cheese, chips. I fit all of those things in a shoe box (or three) every year - one for each of the children I have been Blessed with.
Lots of these things are things that some of those children will never have access to and they get such joy from getting those. BOoh in the US and abroad. Why would anyone begrudge those children a Christmas gift with no strings attached? Most of you sound like jealous little children yourselves. What a shame that you would try to turn this lovely program into a bad thing.
I get way more pleasure shopping for these children than I ever did shopping for the many relatives kids who already have too much of everything. Every year I try to find a way to pack even more stuff in each shoebox. Some of these children have never, ever had a Christmas gift and many have never had a pair of shoes, even. They cherish every gift in their box. I love watching the videos of the children opening their presents--they save the boxes and the wrapping paper because they truly appreciate what they get.

I have been doing shoeboxes for five years and I can truthfully say it has helped me recapture the joy and happiness of the Holiday. I was totally burned out on the crass commercialism that starts on Labor Day and ends in February when all the gifts have been returned or exchanged that you spent so much time and money purchasing to try to please people with too much stuff.
Sunny2468

Fairfield, VA

#14 Nov 8, 2012
Take care of you own wrote:
<quoted text>Good for u...now your opinion is like an **** everybody has one so do not shoot down my opinion because the truth hurts!!!!!!
Your truth and my truth are very different. I used to feel the same about "taking care of our own" until about 10 years ago. I have been blessed by realizing that I can do something for children in my own town, state or country and still have money to do something special for children in other countries who live in poverty that we have a hard time imagining.

I am not rich by a long shot, but God loves a cheerful giver and no matter how much I give to charitable causes, I still always have enough for my needs and expenses. Every cent that I have belongs to God and He expects me to use it wisely and to account for what I did with what He gave me. His command to love our neighbors doesn't just mean the people who live on our block. This time each year I feel like I am truly obeying this command and I am the one blessed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ku,klux,klan visit Jul 22 White Working ... 19
What should I do (Aug '15) Jul 20 George 2
truth Jul 20 George 1
restraining order on Trump Jul 20 George 1
Bus Drivers Not Respected Jul 20 George 3
Wes Bellamy is a Homophobe, sexist, racist crim... Jul 15 totallydisgusted 3
Vote For Trump (Feb '16) Jul 14 totallydisgusted 16

Charlottesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages