Albemarle Commissioners Approve Site Plan for Training Facility - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA ...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

People in Albemarle County aren't holding back when it comes to the police department's plans for a training facility.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Nov 14, 2012
heh

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

One of the commissioners asked the police department if it would be willing to delay for now, and the response was a polite "no."

OK, just asking. Sorry ocifer.
Ted

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

NIMBY seems to be everyone's mantra these days. Our Law Enforcement Departments need a place to practice and qualify on a regular basis. Once per year is not practicing. It is basically hoping; hoping that you can hit the target enough to qualify.
You as a citizen of Charlottesville and Albemarle County should welcome the facility so our officers can be assured that they are going to hit the target as they should. You surely don't want them to hit an innocent bystander.
Please rethink your position on this matter.
Really

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Ted wrote:
NIMBY seems to be everyone's mantra these days. Our Law Enforcement Departments need a place to practice and qualify on a regular basis. Once per year is not practicing. It is basically hoping; hoping that you can hit the target enough to qualify.
You as a citizen of Charlottesville and Albemarle County should welcome the facility so our officers can be assured that they are going to hit the target as they should. You surely don't want them to hit an innocent bystander.
I do wonder if this is about getting two extra days off from normal patrols, assuming when police practice the 'training' is logged as work time. If I was an officer I would say everyone else gets three days off to practice, why don't we? But that is just a side issue.

Surely the officers go out on their own and practice for their own safety. I know I would.

This seems like a frill since they seemed to do fine up to now.
Naitve

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Ted wrote:
Hearing gunshots in the neighborhood is a huge disruption to the peace and quiet of country living. This facility needs to be indoors where the firing cannot be heard for hours on end. There is plenty of indoor space around...least a building and save some money and the quailty of life for the neighbors.
Huh

Collinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I do wonder if this is about getting two extra days off from normal patrols, assuming when police practice the 'training' is logged as work time. If I was an officer I would say everyone else gets three days off to practice, why don't we? But that is just a side issue.
Surely the officers go out on their own and practice for their own safety. I know I would.
This seems like a frill since they seemed to do fine up to now.
They don't get "extra" days off from patrols, training and qualification days are scheduled into yearly calendars. Sadly, most officers do NOT go out on their own, they "practice and train" only on paid time. This is not all of them, and the instructors are better than line officers, but most police are not "gun" people.
Listen Again

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

When the commisoner asked if the police officer would be willing to consider the 30-60 day wait, his comment was NOT Polite, it was a very disrespectful "No I am not, thanks for asking" The same rude disrespectful way in which they have bull dozed throught this process without any consideration of neighbors and concerns for their safty in a sneaky, underhanded and dishonest manner. Thanks for the 2 who voted no, they were listening. The others knew when they entered the building that they would not slow down the plan even for the benefit of the community, and even thought they heard other options that would save money and still achieve the train for the officers. The whole process was a very sad joke!
Negligent Discharge

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
.... and the instructors are better than line officers.....
Can you define "better" as used in your comment please? A range instructor is one of the negligent discharges that took place at the Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club, he shot himself in the leg. So is he still better than the line officers who don't seem to be shooting themselves?
Runner

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Excellent! County officers need quality firearms training. I live not far from there and don't have an issue. More cop cars in the neighborhood is a GREAT thing we have had burglaries, etc.

NIMBYS universally always scream NOT HERE and universally always fail to suggest an alternate location. The NIMBY creed it always the same, simply NOT HERE SOMEWHERE ELSE. We don't care if project X is a nuisance, we only we care that it is a nuisance to us but to bother SOMEONE ELSE would be ok.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

And when was the last time a cop pulled a gun and actuallt shot someone here. This is a good ole boys club, nothing less, nothing more. Alot of cops, not all, but a lot are gun nuts. This place will be over run with cops, they showed up in droves at Rivanna and reated club members like dirt. Thats what this is all about. A fat old white guy club full of testosterone. And Charlottesville is a liberal town? think again.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

thinking free wrote:
And when was the last time a cop pulled a gun and actuallt shot someone here. This is a good ole boys club, nothing less, nothing more. Alot of cops, not all, but a lot are gun nuts. This place will be over run with cops, they showed up in droves at Rivanna and reated club members like dirt. Thats what this is all about. A fat old white guy club full of testosterone. And Charlottesville is a liberal town? think again.
You really are hung up on that "fat old white guy" mantra, aren't you? Your meds need to be rechecked by your doctor.
HIM

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Anyone neighboring this property should eithor sell or invest in bullet proof jacket with ceramic plates. These are the guys that caused 100% of the accidents at the local gun club. Handing a loaded firearm to a cop is like giving a nuke to a terrorist, you know they will use it but they kill the wrong people with it!
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

thinking free wrote:
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you standing up for the cops who qualified there, or condemning them? Seems like a bit of a mixed message. Are you implying that among the typical members of RRPC you will not find any "fat old white guy" gun nuts? Or, are you saying that RRPC is exactly that? If so, I agree.

As far as cops showing up in droves and treating members like dirt, that is baloney. Did it ever happen? Sure - but these were isolated instances and never "in droves." For the most part, qualification sessions were handled discretely and respectfully. I am sure of that, because I qualified there for many years, and I was also a member for many years. Personally, I never saw any incident of disrespect of any sort towards a regular member while any department was there for qualifying; and don''t forget (as you mention) that many LEOs are also RRPC members.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

CvilleGordo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you standing up for the cops who qualified there, or condemning them? Seems like a bit of a mixed message. Are you implying that among the typical members of RRPC you will not find any "fat old white guy" gun nuts? Or, are you saying that RRPC is exactly that? If so, I agree.
As far as cops showing up in droves and treating members like dirt, that is baloney. Did it ever happen? Sure - but these were isolated instances and never "in droves." For the most part, qualification sessions were handled discretely and respectfully. I am sure of that, because I qualified there for many years, and I was also a member for many years. Personally, I never saw any incident of disrespect of any sort towards a regular member while any department was there for qualifying; and don''t forget (as you mention) that many LEOs are also RRPC members.
I was a member too for a few years, met some nice people and competed in IDPA. Lots of fun. But as we all know the longer you hang around a place the more you learn, I had learned enough. The cops where there all the time at the far range, a lot of times just hanging out and not shooting. Not a friendly crowd as is understanderble as most cops have very poor attitude when it comes to those they serve. "Old fat white guys" refers to right wing neanderthals. Rivanna is a haven for OFWG's.
Just Do It

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Maybe the county should take-over RRPC by eminent domain and turn it into a policy training facility. Then the cops can have accidental discharges without anyone else noticing (or reporting). How embarrassing.

Oh, and by the way, the notion that the cops train only "once a year" is laughable: The cops get two full days per month on the range, plus any other range time they ask for. RRPC never says no to anyone, except its members.
Rex

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

What kind of shooting range do they have in big cities for policeman? Surely it's indoors! That's probably too expensive!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Charlottesville Discussions

Search the Charlottesville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlottesville is Happy Tue Dick Hurtz 1
Review: Bellair Cleaning Services Jul 20 Harry Balls_n_Busta Nut 2
Albemarle seeks input on changing rules for rur... Jul 17 bulk 2
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
Two Men Charged in Connection with Double Stabb... Jul 14 Shane 1
UPDATED: Sheriff's Office Investigating Disappe... Jul 14 Robin Floyd 1
Stabbing Sends Man to the Hospital - NBC29 WVIR... (Aug '11) Jul 14 Anonymous 15
•••
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••