Crozet Fatal Shooting Ruled Accidental

May 22, 2013 Read more: NBC29 Charlottesville 45
A fatal shooting in Crozet on Tuesday has sparked a conversation about a much broader issue - gun safety laws. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
I knew it

Charlottesville, VA

#1 May 23, 2013
How can an ME rule a shooting accidental?
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#2 May 23, 2013
Didn't you ever watch Quincy, M.E.?

R.I.P.: Noah Beery
noexpert

Crozet, VA

#3 May 23, 2013
I knew it wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. Apparently their more than just ME's. Not sure why you got flagged as clueless or spam
noexpert

Crozet, VA

#4 May 23, 2013
I meant "they're", woops
Lemmy

Charlottesville, VA

#5 May 23, 2013
I knew it wrote:
Here's how:

"A medical examiner is a medically qualified government officer whose duty is to investigate deaths and injuries that occur under unusual or suspicious circumstances, to perform post-mortem examinations, and in some jurisdictions to initiate inquests.

A medical examiner is a government official who

Investigates human deaths
Determines cause of death
Issues death certificates
Maintains death records
Responds to deaths in mass disasters
Identifies unknown dead
Other functions depending on local law"

--WIKI
noexpert

Crozet, VA

#6 May 23, 2013
Lemmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's how:
"A medical examiner is a medically qualified government officer whose duty is to investigate deaths and injuries that occur under unusual or suspicious circumstances, to perform post-mortem examinations, and in some jurisdictions to initiate inquests.
Maintains death records
Identifies unknown dead
--WIKI
ok great, thanks for that info, but how does any of the above prove it was "accidental" ?
Angela

Crozet, VA

#7 May 23, 2013
To whomever is flagging clueless and spam on all the posts, go back under your rock

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
who knows

Lyndhurst, VA

#8 May 23, 2013
The fact that NBC29 cut the fourth child (son) out of the picture of the Hollifield family is very telling. Better that they only show a picture of the victim.
wow

Charlottesville, VA

#9 May 23, 2013
How can any of you even discuss the things you are when a young girl lost her life not to mention a family loosing a child and a sister? Its okay to wonder and have questions but there is really no need to post it on here. It doesnt matter how they ruled it they ruled it. Have some respect. What if it was your child or someone in your family???????
Thinking free

Richmond, VA

#10 May 23, 2013
wow wrote:
How can any of you even discuss the things you are when a young girl lost her life not to mention a family loosing a child and a sister? Its okay to wonder and have questions but there is really no need to post it on here. It doesnt matter how they ruled it they ruled it. Have some respect. What if it was your child or someone in your family???????
Easy, turn on computer, click the link, click the thread, start thumping on keys, no problem. Respect? a relative term, appearently not reserved for some parents who own guns and are allowed to keep children.
Angela

Crozet, VA

#11 May 23, 2013
wow wrote:
I believe if it was my child or family, I'd be doing alot of other things besides reading these posts not to mention, that is what this is for. Sorry to sound so cold. I feel awful for the family.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#12 May 23, 2013
Lemmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's how:
Maintains death records
Identifies unknown dead
--WIKI
OK, but the cause of death is different from "manner of death". Cause of death is gunshot wound, heart attack, etc...or why a person died. Manner of death is homicide, accident, etc. Seems like determining that it was an accident would be determining the intent, which an ME wouldn't be able to do.
parents responsibilty

Charlottesville, VA

#13 May 23, 2013
I feel badly for them too, BUT the Parents MUST BE CHARGED for Gross Negligence here.
This should not be dismissed as an accident. These folks run a day care?
Chilling & tragic.
Back to Reality

Charlottesville, VA

#14 May 23, 2013
Apparently the child was shot accidentally, but someone is responsible for setting the stage for this accident. It's not an innocent mistake for children to have unsupervised access to firearms.
Get Real

Washington, DC

#15 May 23, 2013
parents responsibilty wrote:
I feel badly for them too, BUT the Parents MUST BE CHARGED for Gross Negligence here.
This should not be dismissed as an accident. These folks run a day care?
Chilling & tragic.
How about we wait to see what the investigation reveals? Perhaps an adult (maybe even a parent) was supervising the child handling the weapon. Maybe the weapon fired accidentally due to malfunction; or the round bounched off an object, striking his sister. Before you go lynch somebody, you might want the facts first.
Susie

Charlottesville, VA

#16 May 23, 2013
Fact #1 is a 10 year old child is dead.
Fact #2 is that there was an unsecured gun or a gun that a 14 year old could get to in the home.

It seems that the conversation should be why was there a gun, loaded or not, in that home where an underage person could gain access to it?

I feel very sorry for the family and for the young person who has to live with the fact that they took another human beings life!
god-fearer

Martinsville, VA

#17 May 23, 2013
NORE and more guns = more and more gun death. That is obvious.

The US Supreme Court, in DC v. Heller, found a right of private persons to own gun(s), for the well known historical purposes of protecting self, protecting home, hunting for food, shooting for sport/recreation, etc. The US Supreme Court DID NOT find a right to own guns for the purpose many gun cultists and preppers claim: to be ready to overthrow the oppressive government of Crozet, Albemarle County, Commonwealth of Virginia or USA. That is nonsense under law, even if NRA, White Supremacist groups, Gay-hating churches, and others think so.

So, there is a right to own guns.

But, where is the list of gun owner responsibilities? Rights are things we claimm as part of our liberty - and ought to be protected. But, common sense Virginians know that with rights come responsibilities. While you claim your rights, you own resonsibilities to other,most importantly NOT to deprive them of their rights (or to take away their lives).

Virginia legislators have been falling all over themselve to give more and more and more privileges to gun owners, and be friendly with the gun cultists. Wouldn't you think that the legislators would be stating the RESPONSIBILTIES OF GUN OWNERS, EACH TIME THE GIVE THEM MORE 'RIGHTS'?

But, they are not. If legislators are not holding gun owners accountable to any responsibilities, who will?
parents responsibilty

Charlottesville, VA

#18 May 23, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
How about we wait to see what the investigation reveals? Perhaps an adult (maybe even a parent) was supervising the child handling the weapon. Maybe the weapon fired accidentally due to malfunction; or the round bounched off an object, striking his sister. Before you go lynch somebody, you might want the facts first.
10 year old baby is dead, shot by a 14 year old... either unsupervised or irresponsibly supervised in order for these things to have happened.
bobbi

Petersburg, VA

#19 May 23, 2013
which child in the picture is Maggie?
Blooyedgal

Charlottesville, VA

#20 May 23, 2013
OMG, can't people let families grieve in peace? Who are we to judge what has happened? If it was an accidental shooting, which it appears to be by the medical examiner, who by the way is well educated and qualified to make that determination based on trajectory, ballistics, forensics, etc., then if you think you can do a better job perhaps you should get your degree in pathology. If this child was shot by accident then the young man who did it already has a lifetime of grief ahead of him. Let him be until anything is proven otherwise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City Council to vote on Lee-Jackson Day observance Thu Time Traveler 4
News NAACP Requests Data On Court Fines Thu sam 5
yall niggdddasd is fakkkddkkeee Apr 13 kek 1
News Journalism school to release review of Rolling ... Apr 8 stand4truth 5
Charlottesville Music Thread (Sep '14) Apr 7 Musikologist 2
News Springsteen Holds Free Concert to Rally Obama S... (Oct '12) Apr 7 swedenforever 128
News Police: No evidence of gang-rape at University ... Apr 7 xrollnstone reader 4
More from around the web

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]