Organization Challenges Waynesboro Zo...

Organization Challenges Waynesboro Zoning's Shutdown of Charity - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA ...

There are 16 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Dec 24, 2012, titled Organization Challenges Waynesboro Zoning's Shutdown of Charity - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA .... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The Rutherford Institute has come to the defense of a Waynesboro man who was shut down by the city for selling Christmas trees for charity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

John S R Lawrence

Waynesboro, VA

#1 Dec 24, 2012
We allow yard sales but not this act of good will? No wonder we are in such a mess! A typical example of small minded but self important public officials. You should have quoted Frank Lucent as a typical example of this attitude.
I dont get it

United States

#2 Dec 24, 2012
Why can't Mr. Critzer just go set up his so called "charity" on a commercial business lot just like all of the other organizations who sell Christmas trees every year instead of bothering his neighbors? Regardless of whether he's selling his trees or giving them away, it's the same customer activity going on in a residentially zoned area. PERIOD. Besides that, if Mr. Critzer and the Rutherford Institute are so concerned about him raising money for his charity, then it only seems logical that he would want to set up his display in a commercial area where he would have the most visiblity. You don't see the Salvation Army volunteers ringing their bells in the front yards of where they live. I'm just saying....
Dakota

Waynesboro, VA

#3 Dec 24, 2012
Another reason I will never live in the city .
If this guy was doing this year round , then he needs to move.
Couple weeks out of the year.
The PD needs some work to do if this is all the crime going down in Waynesboro.
big ole fella

Waynesboro, VA

#4 Dec 24, 2012
The PD had nothing to do with it, until there is a wreck because of where that was set up. I admire his efforts, but like the previous poster said, that wasn't the place for it.
jus sayin

Waynesboro, VA

#5 Dec 24, 2012
I dont get it wrote:
Why can't Mr. Critzer just go set up his so called "charity" on a commercial business lot just like all of the other organizations who sell Christmas trees every year instead of bothering his neighbors? Regardless of whether he's selling his trees or giving them away, it's the same customer activity going on in a residentially zoned area. PERIOD. Besides that, if Mr. Critzer and the Rutherford Institute are so concerned about him raising money for his charity, then it only seems logical that he would want to set up his display in a commercial area where he would have the most visiblity. You don't see the Salvation Army volunteers ringing their bells in the front yards of where they live. I'm just saying....
You don't get it do you? Do you realize how much rent is on a commercial lot? Then he would have to be away from home whatever hours he was open.

If he went out and rented a commercial lot, then the owner of the lot would get all of the proffit, there would be nothing left for the charity.

Why can't nosey neighbors mind their own business. The city doesn't push issues like this unless someone is complaining.
I dont get it

United States

#6 Dec 24, 2012
jus sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get it do you? Do you realize how much rent is on a commercial lot? Then he would have to be away from home whatever hours he was open.
If he went out and rented a commercial lot, then the owner of the lot would get all of the proffit, there would be nothing left for the charity.
Why can't nosey neighbors mind their own business. The city doesn't push issues like this unless someone is complaining.
Since you seem to know so much...how much do they charge to set up a temporary stand on a commercial parking lot like Walmart or Lowes? Why don't you enlighten us. Maybe the business would be generous enough to not charge him anything since he's donating all of the proceeds to charity. JUS SAYIN
cnuckols

Waynesboro, VA

#7 Dec 24, 2012
I just to don't get it so you are telling me all the yard sales I go to every summer are in violation of zoning ordinances? Selling Christmas trees for cancer center!!!!! having a yard sale is ok. what he was doing is no difference than having a yard sale.Waynesboro needs to get a life and let his charity go on
Sunny2468

Monroe, VA

#8 Dec 25, 2012
I dont get it wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you seem to know so much...how much do they charge to set up a temporary stand on a commercial parking lot like Walmart or Lowes? Why don't you enlighten us. Maybe the business would be generous enough to not charge him anything since he's donating all of the proceeds to charity. JUS SAYIN
You live in a dream world. Walmart and Lowe's didn't get to be retail giants by being generous and giving away stuff. If they allow one charity to set up free of charge, they then would have to allow any and all charities the same opportunity. Additionally, there would be tremendous insurance liability and that doesn't come free.
Mike

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Dec 25, 2012
There are acres of vacant parking at Martha Jefferson, plus more visibility and exposure, and more $ in c-ville hands down.
Sunny2468

Penn Laird, VA

#10 Dec 25, 2012
Mike wrote:
There are acres of vacant parking at Martha Jefferson, plus more visibility and exposure, and more $ in c-ville hands down.
Mr. Critzer does not live in Charlottesville, he lives in Waynesboro, so setting up his Christmas tree project 40 miles from home would be too big of a challenge to even bother with. He is not some big charity with a huge budget and many volunteers--just a guy who wants to do some good for a couple of weeks from his home.
birdie

Staunton, VA

#11 Dec 26, 2012
All it took was a quick call to the city and ask, what harm would that have been? Do you see others selling christmas trees in their yards? Sure its a great way to make money, and truly was that his first intent? Never saw the sign until the city officials called him out on the set up he had. Ken Slack should have dug alittle deeper before he put the story up!!! As for the landlord of his residence maybe they should have checked into all avenues whether it was premisable! So i leave the blame on Mr.Critzer you should have asked first then proceeded if it was allowed. What if someone had gotten hit right there on that busy street who would have paid for the damages? Maybe the Rutherford nosy bodies!
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Dec 26, 2012
birdie wrote:
All it took was a quick call to the city and ask, what harm would that have been? Do you see others selling christmas trees in their yards? Sure its a great way to make money, and truly was that his first intent? Never saw the sign until the city officials called him out on the set up he had. Ken Slack should have dug alittle deeper before he put the story up!!! As for the landlord of his residence maybe they should have checked into all avenues whether it was premisable! So i leave the blame on Mr.Critzer you should have asked first then proceeded if it was allowed. What if someone had gotten hit right there on that busy street who would have paid for the damages? Maybe the Rutherford nosy bodies!
No! I shouldn't have to follow the rules/laws; I'm doing this for a charitable cause! And all who think I should have to follow the rules are just playing Scooge at Christmas time!
Oh well, it's mute at this stage of the game anyway....not much market for cut trees now.
ohpleeeezzzze

Waynesboro, VA

#13 Dec 26, 2012
I dont get it wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you REALLY think walmart or lowes would allow just a single person to set up on their lots??? NOT!! IF they allow this it's usually a big organization. This stupid city only did this because they were unable to charge him or collect taxes. I have been past this man's house, he has a big driveway and plenty of room. Geeze, it's not like he had hundreds of trees sitting everywhere. 10 or less is what he had set up.There used to be a resident that had yard sales all the time, and this is not very far from this guy's house(1/2 mile). The city never shut them down. So why be nitpicky against this man? We have a bunch of dumb**** who run this city.
ohpleeeezzzze

Waynesboro, VA

#14 Dec 26, 2012
I dont get it wrote:
Because he is not a "BIG" known charity like the others.
jus sayin

Waynesboro, VA

#15 Dec 28, 2012
Too many "damn Yankees" moved into this town. They want to change the "southern hospitality" and control what their neighbors are doing.

For those of you who don't know, a Yankee is a northerner who comes down to visit and then returns home, a damn Yankee is one who comes down and doesn't go back!
jus sayin

Waynesboro, VA

#16 Dec 28, 2012
I dont get it wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell by your attitude, you're a damn yankee! minding everybody's business but your own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Celebration of Global Unity at Unity of Charlot... 14 hr Cassie 1
Poll Should The Confederate Flag Be Rejected? Fri Rich Man 0
News Mamadi Diakite will Redshirt in 2015-16 for UVa... Fri Taysha 1
News Partnership to Help More Area Kids Fri Taysha 1
News at&T, Drive Smart Virginia Focus on Distracted ... Aug 31 Charlie 2
News Dominion Energy launches commercials to build p... Aug 25 tom 3
I'm horny as hell (Oct '14) Aug 20 sider 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages