10 Commandments in Southwest VA Schools

A southwest Virginia school system has voted to post copies of the Ten Commandments in its schools. Full Story
Areyoukiddingme

Sterling, VA

#64 Jun 9, 2011
AtheistInk wrote:
Lets get one thing straight. To all the half witt's on here who utter anything about this being a christian nation. Please go read the Treaty of Tripoli. When you then realize how idiotic your statements were, then we can address why christianity has no place in public schools because of the grotesque lack of evidence to prove any of that crap actually happened.
After you read the Constitution, read the Bible and you will have all of the factual evidence you will ever need to prove God is real and exist. But you have to be will to read the entire Bible, not jsut a verse of two.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#65 Jun 9, 2011
Live the Constitution wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan loves the way you twist the truth into foul lies.
Satan also loves those that walk blindly so that he may make them his children. He adores those who can't think for themselves. Makes his job a lot easier.
AtheistInk

Scottsville, VA

#66 Jun 9, 2011
@Areyoukiddingme.
Sorry dude, already read it, and understand the subject matter far more than you do apparently. The bible is a plageristic, immoral, nonsensical, book of fairy tales. There is nothing of historical value there at all. The story of jesus is plagerized from a number of other religious characters who came long before him. You can babble till you are blue in the face about how there is historical evidence in the bible, and that there is evidence to support the bible in general, and no matter how much you say it, it doesnt make it any less false. Your notions of history mean little when you cant prove a damn thing except the fact that you are overly opinionated. A book that supports slavery, suggests that you stone your daughter to death for not marrying the man who raped her, and whose core values are based in applying guilt and fear to control those who wish to be excepted into heaven, has no place in public schools. All of you bible thumping idiots can muster is a bunch hearsay, and self righteous gibberish that doesnt prove anything outside of your lack of being able to see past your own opinions. Well keep them to yourself, and out of the schools where my children go to learn about real life, not dogmatic fairy tales. For the ten commandments to be a historical document, it must first be proven to be real, and accurate. Two things it is not.
Areyoukiddingme

Columbus, OH

#67 Jun 10, 2011
One would have thought you were an intelligent being until. You started typing your worthless opinion. If you read the entire bible and not bits and pieces that support your hatred for Christianity. Unfortunately until you open your eyes your future is very dim. I will pray for you, your health and salvation. God can and will heal you….
Greene Resident

United States

#68 Jun 10, 2011
Read them. Use your own God as the god you will follow, then the rest will apply to about every religion. If they were being followed world peace wouldn't be the desire--it would be the norm.
kidrocky

Louisa, VA

#69 Jun 10, 2011
"Sorry dude, already read it, and understand the subject matter far more than you do apparently. The bible is a plageristic, immoral, nonsensical, book of fairy tales. There is nothing of historical value there at all."

You may be correct but your 1% of world population view strongly suggests you are wrong. 1% is not a made up number either.
HerpDerp

Charlottesville, VA

#70 Jun 10, 2011
Areyoukiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
After you read the Constitution, and find that our entire way of govenment was based on Christian beleifs.]
Prove it.
Real History

Petersburg, VA

#71 Jun 10, 2011
AtheistInk wrote:
Lets get one thing straight. To all the half witt's on here who utter anything about this being a christian nation. Please go read the Treaty of Tripoli. When you then realize how idiotic your statements were, then we can address why christianity has no place in public schools because of the grotesque lack of evidence to prove any of that crap actually happened.
Excerpt from Wikipedia - Before the American Revolution, the British colonies in North America were protected from the Barbary pirates by British warships and treaties. During the Revolution, monarchical France formed an alliance with the colonies and assumed the responsibility of providing protection of U.S. ships against the Barbary pirates. After the U.S. won its independence with the signing of the Treaty of Paris (1783), it had to face the threat of the Barbary pirates on its own. Two American ships were captured by Algerian pirates in July 1785 and the survivors forced into slavery, their ransom set at $60,000. A rumor that Benjamin Franklin, who was en route from France to Philadelphia about that time, had been captured by Barbary pirates, caused considerable upset in the U.S. Without a standing navy, much less a navy capable of projecting force across an ocean, the U.S. was forced to pay tribute monies and goods to the Barbary nations for the security of its ships and the freedom of its captured citizens. As General William Eaton informed newly-appointed Secretary of State John Marshall in 1800, "It is a maxim of the Barbary States, that 'The Christians who would be on good terms with them must fight well or pay well.'"

The Treaty of Tripoli was an attempt to quell the MusLEMS and frame the US as a nation with Christians, not a Christian Nation...this didn't work well, and we had to fight them anyway (the Marines...from the shores of Montezuma to the halls of Tripoli). LESSON: Why deny what and who we (mostly) are? These folks hate us, always will...nuke now, peace later!!
AtheistInk

Scottsville, VA

#72 Jun 10, 2011
@HerpDerp. Brother, they cant prove a damn thing, except that their opinion is the only one that matters. As far as reading the bible, I have already stated that I have read it. not only that, but I have even studied the original Hebrew text, which by the way, you christians dont understand worth a damn. I love how easy it is for you to point the finger and call others liars, or foolish, but you cant bring anything to the table of actual worth. Pathetic really, but then again, I dont expect much from people with such a narrow minds.
AtheistInk

Scottsville, VA

#73 Jun 10, 2011
@kidrocky. Christianity is the fastest decreasing belief system in the world. Atheism is the fastest growing. Your math will change drastically over the years, but my beliefs will stay strong, while yours will be questioned and scrutinized and proven to be nothing more than over inflated book of fairy tales, just like every other religion in history. Saying you are right and showing those who question you that you are right are two very different things. I can show you how wrong you are, but you lack the common sense to see past your own opinions, ergo, you will never be able to win in a religious discussion, because you cant prove anything. You must rely on faith, and faith alone. Faith doesnt build nations, but it has destroyed plenty. History has proven that time and time again.
Real History

Petersburg, VA

#74 Jun 10, 2011
Same source (Wikipedia)- According to Frank Lambert, Professor of History at Purdue University, the assurances in Article 11 were "intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers." Lambert writes,

"By their actions, the Founding Fathers made clear that their primary concern was religious freedom, not the advancement of a state religion. Individuals, not the government, would define religious faith and practice in the United States. Thus the Founders ensured that in no official sense would America be a Christian Republic. Ten years after the Constitutional Convention ended its work, the country assured the world that the United States was a secular state, and that its negotiations would adhere to the rule of law, not the dictates of the Christian faith. The assurances were contained in the Treaty of Tripoli of 1797 and were intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers.

While the nuke/peace quip is boombastic, the first bit, and this also show how the US Government itself will/should act within the rule of law - but it does not deny that the foundation of our laws are Judeo-Christian. The 10 Commandments, being Judeo-Christian, are relevant in a historical context and should be taught as such. People have the freedom to choose their faith, or no faith.
AtheistInk

Scottsville, VA

#75 Jun 10, 2011
@Real History. But yet christians have destroyed, killed, and taken over more non christian people, than any other religion in history. Christians through history have been more violent and killed more people in the name of their god, than any other religious group, and why not. The god of the old testament is the most immoral, blood thirsty, egomaniacal deity in hitory, so why shouldnt his followers try to be just like him. The "real history" of christianity is soaked in the blood of any who didnt agree with their psycho beliefs. Get over it, I have.
Real History

Petersburg, VA

#76 Jun 10, 2011
While one may choose to not believe in a religion, that act of choice does not make God any less real. Absence of evidence in one's opinion does not mean something doesn't exist or didn't happen.

If a tree falls in the woods, but nobody hears it or sees it, did the tree not fall? While there is plenty of evidence of God's existence throughout the world in my opinion (and the bulk of the world's - even the MusLAMS), showing it to somebody who chooses not to accept it does not disprove Him, it only means that individual has locked himself/herself in a mental box and refuses to see what most others do.

One thing is certain...we'll all find out at some point. Which side do you want to be on? The side that says: "I picked one, did the best I could to follow/serve", or the side that says: "Many folks told me, showed me, etc, but I choose not to believe"?
AtheistInk

Scottsville, VA

#77 Jun 10, 2011
The Treaty of Tripoli does state that this is not a christian nation. Plain and simple. I dont care about the fine details in this case. They are irrelevant. The fact remains that that document states that this country is not a christian country, and thats the way it should be. Since you are in the mood to wiki stuff, try looking up how many of the founding fathers were not christian at all. Oh, and try not to find your info from right wing, conservative news or info sites.
Real History

Petersburg, VA

#78 Jun 10, 2011
Side note: while I know Wikipedia isn't exactly the best source...it does sum things up decently, and is easy to cut and paste. The best way to research is to spend years pouring over source documents and make up your own mind. Just remember: even source documents were made by man, and man can be faulty...truth and reality don't change, the challenge is finding purity of truth and reality.
Real History

Petersburg, VA

#79 Jun 10, 2011
AtheistInk wrote:
@Real History. But yet christians have destroyed, killed, and taken over more non christian people, than any other religion in history. Christians through history have been more violent and killed more people in the name of their god, than any other religious group, and why not. The god of the old testament is the most immoral, blood thirsty, egomaniacal deity in hitory, so why shouldnt his followers try to be just like him. The "real history" of christianity is soaked in the blood of any who didnt agree with their psycho beliefs. Get over it, I have.
Not true at all (WRT death tolls ascribed to religion or forms of government). Nothing to get over either...I choose to have faith and believe in God (the Christian one).

Questions: What if Christians have it right? What if Muslims have it right? What if we all are mucking it all up (God's desires and all) because of bad human leadership?

Point: Who's right or wrong doesn't matter WRT truth and reality...only truth and reality matter. Religion means nothing and everything.

When you do your research (and you say you have), make your decision - and it's ok to change your mind based on new evidence. But base your decision on truth and reality, not what people have done or not done.
AtheistInk

Scottsville, VA

#80 Jun 10, 2011
If you were to show me real evidence of gods existence, I would turn on a dime and say "well would you look at that", but I would not follow him. After reading the bible, and seeing the horrible acts that he perpetrated against those he claimed to loved, I would not want any part of that kind of love. I stand for unconditional love, that is what should be taught, and followed. The bible does not promote it, nor does it contain it. The book is full of nonsensical conditions that no man can truly follow. Its pathetic how so many people even today try as hard as they can to do so, but it is an impossible act.
AtheistInk

Scottsville, VA

#81 Jun 10, 2011
I have found truth and purity without the assistance of any deity. As an Atheist, I have found these things inside of me.
Real History

Petersburg, VA

#82 Jun 10, 2011
AtheistInk wrote:
If you were to show me real evidence of gods existence, I would turn on a dime and say "well would you look at that", but I would not follow him. After reading the bible, and seeing the horrible acts that he perpetrated against those he claimed to loved, I would not want any part of that kind of love. I stand for unconditional love, that is what should be taught, and followed. The bible does not promote it, nor does it contain it. The book is full of nonsensical conditions that no man can truly follow. Its pathetic how so many people even today try as hard as they can to do so, but it is an impossible act.
And that is your choice...curious: What would you define as real evidence?

Wikipedia BTW - Religion Lambert (2003) has examined the religious affiliations and beliefs of the Founders. Some of the 1787 delegates had no affiliation. The others were Protestants except for three Roman Catholics: C. Carroll, D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons. Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (Episcopalian, after the American Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists, the total number being 49. Some of the more prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical or vocal about their opposition to organized religion, such as Thomas Jefferson[12][13](who created the "Jefferson Bible"), and Benjamin Franklin.[14] However, other notable founders, such as Patrick Henry, were strong proponents of traditional religion. Several of the Founding Fathers considered themselves to be deists or held beliefs very similar to those of deists.[15]
Real History

Petersburg, VA

#83 Jun 10, 2011
no affiliation does not mean they had no belief...they just didn't state, or provide any significant evidence that can be ascibed one way or the other. Deists have a belief in a god or gods (my understanding), but do not affiliate closely with any particular religion - most likely due to the reasons AtheistInk stated.

Again, lack of belief or evidence doesn't prove non-existance.

For AthiestInk, the New Covenant between God and man was a promise from God that he would no longer do the things you protest against - a layman's interpretation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Massive Spike In Whites Setting Blacks On Fire Fri Sam 2
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Thu stuart Draft 6
Happy Holidays Thu Stan0807 1
How to... Dec 14 True Blue Local 1
99 Baboon Syndicate Dec 9 KarlsonKendrickKyle 1
Friend of alleged UVA rape victim: Story is no ... Dec 8 Ipso Facto 1
Protest outside Phi Kappa Psi house leads to fo... Dec 6 Lordy 5
Charlottesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Charlottesville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Charlottesville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:26 pm PST