10 Commandments in Southwest VA Schools

10 Commandments in Southwest VA Schools

There are 89 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jun 8, 2011, titled 10 Commandments in Southwest VA Schools. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A southwest Virginia school system has voted to post copies of the Ten Commandments in its schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Teresa

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#1 Jun 8, 2011
I think this is fantastic. Very proud of them. I wish more schools and government offices would have the guts to do the same! HATS OFF TO YOU GILES COUNTY!!!!
Gretchen

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jun 8, 2011
This is unconstitutional, and the Supreme Court in their McCreary County vs. ACLU of Kentucky (2005) ruled that posting copies of the Ten Commandments for the purpose of promoting religion in public schools violates the First Amendment Establishment Clause.
mid east

Scottsville, VA

#3 Jun 8, 2011
This is a slap in the face to Muslims. This must stop now.
true

Dillwyn, VA

#5 Jun 8, 2011
Gretchen wrote:
This is unconstitutional, and the Supreme Court in their McCreary County vs. ACLU of Kentucky (2005) ruled that posting copies of the Ten Commandments for the purpose of promoting religion in public schools violates the First Amendment Establishment Clause.
Hate GOD do we, everything obama has done is unconstitutional how come your not complaining about that
TEX

Free Union, VA

#6 Jun 9, 2011
Ahhhh here's a nice way to deal with the Godless riff-raff destroying this nation. The liars and baby-killers and jew haters will have the usual reaction to this sign of a belief in God. BUT, we know what is right.
So what

United States

#7 Jun 9, 2011
So what? They're not FORCING anyone to read them.
We're bombarded by advertisements, political propaganda, scandals, etc. every day that most of us would like to not see or hear, yet where's the ACLU on that? Much of it can offend or upset me, but I do something considered unusual in today's society: I ignore it and think for myself.
Posting them doesn't necessarily mean that the intent is to promote religion. If half the people against the commandments would actually READ them, they would see that the majority of them are good rules to live by even for the strictest of atheists (e.g. killing, stealing, lying, coveting, honoring parents, adultery). Most of these are the law of the land.
I think that many of those against it just merely want to censor the commandments for their own personal satisfaction, not for moral/ethical reasons. I can think of no evidence of how anyone could be harmed mentally or physically from seeing or reading them. There are far more malignant things in the world to whine about. How about focusing some time, energy and money on resolving those issues?
TEX

Free Union, VA

#8 Jun 9, 2011
Gretchen wrote:
a "leftie" whose fearless leader does NOT honor this nation or its constution speaks out only when it suits their sick agenda
Elaine in Virginia

AOL

#9 Jun 9, 2011
Good for them. If people don't have sense enough to teach their kids right from wrong then at least the kids can see some basic rules for good moral living posted from the bible.
Elaine in Virginia

AOL

#10 Jun 9, 2011
As far as Gretchen's comment - they didn't say they were promoting religion. They said they were posting a historical document. It is history and it is heritage and I wish all the people who don't belive in God would go to another country and leave our God fearing nation alone. God, guns, and guts made America - that's history!
valleyreader

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jun 9, 2011
No homework on the sabbath day! In all seriousness though,#1 shouldn't be posted up like this in public school. I realize this is Giles County, but Hindus and some other religions are polytheistic, but have just as much right to believe in their religion and practice it in the USA as the Christian majority. In my opinion the "one and only god to worship" commandment really doesn't have much application as a general moral code for behaving yourself in school.
a Christian from VA

Altavista, VA

#12 Jun 9, 2011
God Bless! Best news I've seen on this computer.
HerpDerp

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jun 9, 2011
So, uh. What happened to separation of church and state?

I would also like to add that the people making snarky comments about muslims/other religions/congratulated the county are your typical hicks that don't actually follow Christian beliefs, but expect other people to.

And America wasn't based on Christianity. Our original founding fathers with Deists.
OhReally

Rocky Mount, VA

#14 Jun 9, 2011
I guess the great thing about being christian is you can burn, kill, and hate other religions as long as you go to church one day a week and pretend to be pious. It's nice to know freedom of religion only applies to you if your christian, Newsflash, dumbasses, there are more religions then just Islam in the world and in the U.S.
HerpDerp is right the founders were Deists and in fact they fled England to get the hell away from religious persecution. But then I'm typing to people that cheer Sarah Palin on when she said the british were trying to take away colonists gun rights. Good thing Jesus is fictitious otherwise he'd be spinning in his empty grave.
Countryside Patriot

Ruckersville, VA

#15 Jun 9, 2011
When will those religous zealots get it. Not everyone wants THEIR beliefs shoved in our faces or our kids propagandized. Limit their focus to education on math, science and other acedemic subjects and leave the 'snake oil' peddling' to churches. They've got enough challenge accomplishing their real objective and in my opinion they're not doing a very good job as it is!
bettann

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jun 9, 2011
Everyone is responsible for their actions and I would not want to come up short in teaching our youth good sound morals. It is obvious that these qualities are not even talked about at home let alone the work place or at school. I'm very glad someone still has the intestenal fortitude (guts) to stand up for right. I'm sorry for those who do not have the true and living God to call on when decisions of this kind have to been voted on. Get real. People need guidance and limits.so does our future generations. You best heed the words that have kept us in line with our future. God bless America (but we need to know what He wants us to do) At least start with the TEN COMMANDMENTS
eleventh commandment

United States

#17 Jun 9, 2011
Thou shalt not waste my tax money!
Henry

Earlysville, VA

#18 Jun 9, 2011
Most folks cannot name all ten commandments, and the oh so pious Christian folks on here who think they follow them do not. Hands up if you do not honor the sabbath. That's no work of any kind. No mowing the lawn. No cleaning the house. Think about it. Is it up to you to decide which commandments are more important than the others? Moses only brought you ten.
Moses

Crozet, VA

#19 Jun 9, 2011
true wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate GOD do we, everything obama has done is unconstitutional how come your not complaining about that
Because "that" is not what this article was about!
NUTS

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jun 9, 2011
Why they can't read it??????
wyjqwyjrj

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Jun 9, 2011
Henry wrote:
Most folks cannot name all ten commandments, and the oh so pious Christian folks on here who think they follow them do not. Hands up if you do not honor the sabbath. That's no work of any kind. No mowing the lawn. No cleaning the house. Think about it. Is it up to you to decide which commandments are more important than the others? Moses only brought you ten.
The sabbath day was made for man. Remember when Jesus and deciples picked corn on the sabbath because they were hungry. If it has to be done on the sabbath then do it that includes going to work or cleaning house. If it is necessary to survive then it is ok with God. He understands and forgives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Castle coming to Charlottesville? Jun 20 Uva girl 2
Wes Bellamy - The repeatedly arrested Vice Mayo... Jun 19 NotWesBellamy 1
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert (May '14) Jun 18 Steve 6
News Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Q... (May '13) Jun 16 DEVGOD 136
Trump wants you to watch and inform on your nei... Jun 16 Sad Day for US 1
Bamboo in Charlottesville? Jun 15 Jungle Boy 2
Kayla from hardees Jun 13 creamy good 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlottesville Mortgages