Cousins get 2 years in concrete scheme

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Two men convicted in November of involvement in an Indianapolis-area concrete price-fixing conspiracy will spend nearly twice as long in prison as ringleaders who cooperated and pleaded guilty.
Comments
41 - 57 of 57 Comments Last updated Apr 2, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ConstructionMana ger

United States

#44 Feb 11, 2007
Leadarrows wrote:
(Commonsense gave up the will to live when a well know turf magazine banned all the senior members of a green industry site as soon as they brought the site, all the ones that made the site what it is today (or was).)
Disregard this part please it was a typo from another post I used this same comments earlier on another subject. Seems this applies to so many situations now days I find it worth of posting more than once.
This system needs a way to edit your posts.
So you think juries always get it right and people who know these men don't know anything about there character?
I have talked to one of there dads about this and I have known the man for thirty years. They did not participate in this scheme. I ask him point blank and he assured me they had know interest in this what so ever. In fact they would have had to lower there prices to be in compliance with what the others wanted to it to be. I am telling you the man has never lied to me before and I believe him now. Besides I would have been able to tell if he was lying. I am pretty good at it and the man looked me straight in the eyes when he talked to me. This is wrong. I know it. I am not second guessing. I know this is BS.
Beaver is one of the few concrete companies that actually earns its price. If you ask me what it boils down to is that the Beavers from Noblesville make lousy criminals.Why does a citizen "pay for making the government go to trial". If the government takes a person to trial and fails to convict, do they pay for making citizen prove their innocent?
B.S.
ConstructionMana ger

United States

#45 Feb 11, 2007
Renah Pettigrew wrote:
I'm just so sorry this turned out this way. I don't feel like all the facts were out there and that justice was served....So Sad!
Did these men have lawyers?
Tell me who they were so I will never hire them. Can you appeal based on idiot lawyers?
Bruce

United States

#46 Feb 11, 2007
Leadarrows wrote:
I also know both of these fine young men and I worked for there dads in the 80's. I have never worked for a better Company and I would still work there today if I hadn't started my own company. What were they suppose to do plead guilty to something they did not do just to receive a lighter sentence? The real criminals get off easy and lay it all on someone else. That is not justice. This is outrageous in my opinion and typical of the screwed up court system we are plagued with in this country. There is noway that they were involved beyond wanting to keep track of what the others were doing. If every one else in your area is having a meeting involving your business ...how could you not go to see what it is about? I pray and hope that they get this travesty of mock justice overturned in an appeal. Those are good men and I will always be proud to count the Beaver family among my friends.
I also agree with the previous statements that oil companies would be a much better target of this kind of legal action.
The Beavers go to prison because they knew all their competitors were cheating and did not "turn them in".
What happens when someone knows The Beavers said "No" the all their competitors and says nothing? They get applauded by the judge for "Cooperation". First to squeal gets immunity(then later news report comes out and identifies the first loser).Second in line gets best deal and anybody thereafter is called a "ring leader". Wich is absurd - 2 smaller companies leading IMI / Prarie the largest producers in the market. Think about this - Beaver is the smallest and oldest concrete producer in this area. Smallest and Oldest.In Beavers hometown - Noblesville - the city sidewalks are made with Prarie / IMI concrete because it is the cheapest. Found guilty by a jury - Yes
Found guilty by those who know - NO WAY!
May God Bless America - She needs it

Since: Feb 07

Noblesville

#47 Feb 11, 2007
ConstructionManager wrote:
<quoted text>Did these men have lawyers?
Tell me who they were so I will never hire them. Can you appeal based on idiot lawyers?
The Beavers' defense attorney, Jeffrey A. Lockwood.
hmmm

Muncie, IN

#48 Feb 12, 2007
Leadarrows wrote:
<quoted text>
The Beavers' defense attorney, Jeffrey A. Lockwood.
-Whoever you are, thank you for being considerate on your posts, and not saying ignorant things like everyone else. Some people just have no consideration for others who are going through this process! It is fine to say what you think, but when you are name calling, and bringing down their character when you don't even know them... its just very very inappropriate! So thank you for not being one of them!
Intrested

United States

#50 Feb 14, 2007
It is the law wrote:
Don't forget in all of this emotional postings, that the Federal Government doesn't spend that many years on an investigation out of boredom, or nothing else to do. Twelve jurors and one judge saw the evidence presented, and those just reading about it in the paper, or hearing about it through hearsay have no idea about the facts of the case.
So, tell us about the facts in this case.
Or will you just read the Indystar to us?
We stand behind you

AOL

#51 Feb 15, 2007

My husband Chris Beaver is not quilty. And as I sit here and read some of your comments, I have to feel sad for a lot of you and your ignorance of intelligence. I am very proud of my husband who did NOT plea bargain and stood up for his rights to fight this. He knew what he was up against in fighting this with the Government, yet he didn't let that stop him. He is a man of his word, always has been. And when the FBI came knocking on our door early that morning, he did have small children looking over the banisters to see what was going on, any man would do the same to protect what their children may see that could affect them for life. When the FBI left our home, he contacted his attorney so they could contact the FBI to give a statement, without his children being present. He did tell them what he knew of "the one meeting" he attended. And even though he has the hardest of the sentencing he did what he believed in at the time and that was to protect his children in his home. Beavers did not price fix. Beavers also were denied to bring in the witness who could testify their innocence and that is shameful . We all stand behind Chris and we are thankful for our friends and family and Colleagues who have stood behind Chris and his family. And even though his 27 months sentencing will still reflect pain on his children for life and family,We are proud of his decision that he did try with all he had to fight this, because he is innocent. We will get through this with our strong faith we have as a family and through God.

Since: Feb 07

Noblesville

#52 Feb 16, 2007
We stand behind you wrote:
My husband Chris Beaver is not guilty. And as I sit here and read some of your comments, I have to feel sad for a lot of you and your ignorance of intelligence. I am very proud of my husband who did NOT plea bargain and stood up for his rights to fight this. He knew what he was up against in fighting this with the Government, yet he didn't let that stop him. He is a man of his word, always has been. And when the FBI came knocking on our door early that morning, he did have small children looking over the banisters to see what was going on, any man would do the same to protect what their children may see that could affect them for life. When the FBI left our home, he contacted his attorney so they could contact the FBI to give a statement, without his children being present. He did tell them what he knew of "the one meeting" he attended. And even though he has the hardest of the sentencing he did what he believed in at the time and that was to protect his children in his home. Beavers did not price fix. Beavers also were denied to bring in the witness who could testify their innocence and that is shameful . We all stand behind Chris and we are thankful for our friends and family and Colleagues who have stood behind Chris and his family. And even though his 27 months sentencing will still reflect pain on his children for life and family,We are proud of his decision that he did try with all he had to fight this, because he is innocent. We will get through this with our strong faith we have as a family and through God.
We have never met and I am a little older than Chris but Jeff and I go way back. 1975. If I told you my name Chris could tell you who I am.
Please don't listen to these fools and there hate filled uninformed drivel. Some people just don't realize that sometimes our court system doesnt work. Any one that knows the Beaver family knows how good they have been to the Noblesville community. Providing good jobs and always dealing in a fair and honorable way. theses jerks wouldn't be saying what they are if they knew Chris.
Don't worry about them. They would be singing a completely different toon if something like this happened to one of there loved ones. Comments like this last one by Betty nobody are just spiteful people who can only feel good abut themselves by seeking out others to pretend to be better than. They really know what losers they are in there heart of hearts. That's what makes them so bitter. They more than likely have never tried to help another human being out in there whole miserable lives.
Big Al has been an inspiration to me for the last thirty years and I only wish that there was some way I could help you all now. He and I talked on the phone not to long ago and he was worried what I might think. A man that I have never ever known to even tell a lie let alone be involved in something like this. Hell Chris didn't even party when he was young. He has worked hard all of his adult life. I really doubt that some of these people spewing their hate even have a job. Jealousy can make some people just plan mean.
I will call Al soon and offer my condolences. Tell Chris not to get to depressed the appellate court is often times more sensible.
His friends know he is innocent and the opinions of strangers doesnt really matter anyway.
May God help you and your family through this tough time and just no the prayers of many friends are headed your way.
chris beavers kid

Noblesville, IN

#53 Mar 9, 2008
umm cussing out beavers is not going to help the situation so back off you dont know the real story
chris beavers kid

Noblesville, IN

#54 Mar 9, 2008
Family Friend wrote:
I had heard that the plea bargain that was offered to Beaver was for 3 years and 10 million in fines.They got 27 months.???
they got two years not 3
chris beavers kid

Noblesville, IN

#55 Mar 9, 2008
Simon says wrote:
A family that lies together....stays together.
if you are saying that they lie then maybe you should get the real story straight till you open that mouth of yours
Firmarshel Willems

Locust Grove, VA

#56 Apr 1, 2008
i bet these guys got made fun of all their life with a name like beaver.
Beaver Cleaver

Greenwood, IN

#57 Apr 2, 2008
Firmarshel Willems wrote:
i bet these guys got made fun of all their life with a name like beaver.
Especially Mrs. Beaver!!
harry beaver

Morral, OH

#58 Apr 2, 2008
If he attended a meeting in the horsebarn then he should've turned the others in at that point, or said I dont want no part of this, a horsebarn meeting doesn't look like its on the up and up.

Prairie and IMI probably wanted his assurance that he wouldn't keep his prices low, undercutting them, and becoming bigger through cheaper concrete.

Meeting in a horsebarn kind of sounds like a mob thing. They should've met in a board room like most companies do, then it becomes legal to screw you, and they could've passed the cost on as higher operation expenses.
Maybe even give themselves a few million as salaries and bonuses to attend these concrete meetings, or come up with an official name like The conrete consortium, or concrete builders of america. Maybe even have a mission statement like "Giving you the best quality conrete in america".
A horse barn? That was asking for trouble, doesn't mean they are guilty, but I doubt they were looking at horses or tractors.
In my opinion it would look bad to any jury when guys in business suits meet in a barn.

“Vote or Shut it!”

Since: Oct 07

Sasparilla

#59 Apr 2, 2008
Was Monroe Gray involved in this? He was running a concrete scam for several years. Leased bunch of equipment and real estate, got city contracts cause he was Chair of the City Council. Grabbed all the money and never paid for the equipment or real estate. What a scam, huh?! Brilliant. Tack that on to his $80k a year ghost employment for the Fire Dept and you've got a sweet deal! I bet there is more to his grift. That would make it a trifecta!
harry beaver

Morral, OH

#60 Apr 2, 2008
Corbin Leape wrote:
Was Monroe Gray involved in this? He was running a concrete scam for several years. Leased bunch of equipment and real estate, got city contracts cause he was Chair of the City Council. Grabbed all the money and never paid for the equipment or real estate. What a scam, huh?! Brilliant. Tack that on to his $80k a year ghost employment for the Fire Dept and you've got a sweet deal! I bet there is more to his grift. That would make it a trifecta!
See this is exactly what I was referring to!
Monroe Gray AKA Peashake, did it all legally out in the open in front of witnesses and in the boardroom..........thus making it legal because he showed his intent of screwing people without hiding it. If its done in the open its called bidding, litigation, negotiations, cost to do business, operating expenses, blah, blah, blah.
This is why politicians dont get prosecuted. Its when they meet in horse barns is when it gets fishy, gets investigated or indictments are handed down.
(peashake houses dont count), but if you do get caught in a peashake house. Then you in turn suggest a proposal to the city to make them legal and that the city would make money and call it a cultural issue.
Kind of like guns, dice, malt liquor and killings.

“You betcha!”

Since: Aug 07

United States

#61 Apr 2, 2008
harry beaver wrote:
<quoted text>
See this is exactly what I was referring to!
Monroe Gray AKA Peashake, did it all legally out in the open in front of witnesses and in the boardroom..........thus making it legal because he showed his intent of screwing people without hiding it. If its done in the open its called bidding, litigation, negotiations, cost to do business, operating expenses, blah, blah, blah.
This is why politicians dont get prosecuted. Its when they meet in horse barns is when it gets fishy, gets investigated or indictments are handed down.
(peashake houses dont count), but if you do get caught in a peashake house. Then you in turn suggest a proposal to the city to make them legal and that the city would make money and call it a cultural issue.
Kind of like guns, dice, malt liquor and killings.
OMG!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
drama got you fired from your job.........when ... 7 hr Knightstown 6
Ex-Hancock sheriff talks vindication after 2010... 10 hr ima hoosier 1
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) 19 hr JOE NASTY 95
Return of Clint Ellis - Laurel Police Department Mon tom w 1
Heather at 115 Rambling rd Aug 25 PC CHN 1
White Flash Aug 8 What happened 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Hoosier Hillbilly 92
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Charlottesville News, Events & Info