The Municpal Marina
Greg Nowak

Buffalo, NY

#1 Sep 14, 2006
September 12, 2006

To the city of Charlevoix

My fiancée and I take frequent trips to upper Michigan and we are always telling our friends and encouraging them to also travel to your area. Unfortunately, we got some rather sad news this past weekend and we will now have less in the way of good things to say about the Charlevoix area, in the future. The total lack of insight that was exhibited by your city planners in stopping the, long anticipated, new harbor restoration project is staggering, in our minds. It is truly the heart of your city - not the shops, not the buildings and not the bridge. The harbor is what gives Charlevoix its unique quaint edge over other areas up north. A walk on the pier, with all of the boats, is the only true doorway to the charm of Round Lake. All of our friends agree that allowing its continued deterioration and not taking the necessary steps to revitalize it may not be the final nail in the coffin for the city of Charlevoix, but it is a step in that direction. We will of course continue to visit the Traverse City area because of their continued efforts at making their waterfront easily accessible, a showplace and a "need to visit" destination that boaters and every one else can truly enjoy. We wish the people of Charlevoix well and hope that meaningful changes will be coming soon to help assure the cities future position as a "need to visit" destination in upper Michigan.

G. Nowak
Portage Michigan
Nacho

Gaylord, MI

#2 Jan 1, 2007
Greg,

I am a Charlevoix native. Lived here nearly all of my life, so let me reign in your position a bit here...

First, the harbor needs to be revamped. If you see what they are doing, you'd know. They're putting up new sea-walls and upgrading the pier structure. Quite simply, it needs to be done. This isn't hurting the beauty of Charlevoix at all. In fact, from Bridge St. you wouldn't even know the changes unless you looked closely.

Charlevoix is still the best place to visit in northern Michigan, and I'm proud to be a native of this small community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlevoix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
broke ass ironworker needs a job for a day Oct '17 Broke ironworker 1
charlevoix pointe van Sep '17 MARIE 2
News Did you ever rock out at Castle Farms in Charle... (Feb '09) Apr '17 Canadian biker 42
Fun (Sep '16) Sep '16 Cummins man 1
News Crusty brown algae mats growing in pristine Mic... (Apr '16) Apr '16 focus 1
Ignore (Nov '15) Nov '15 None 1
Northwest Canvas new shop and taking on winter ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Ryan Oliver 1

Charlevoix Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charlevoix Mortgages