Man dies, trooper shot in Charlestown

Man dies, trooper shot in Charlestown

There are 7 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Jul 28, 2008, titled Man dies, trooper shot in Charlestown. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

A 53-year-old man has died and a New Hampshire state trooper has been shot following a confrontation in Charlestown, Attorney General Kelly Ayotte said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

Linda Brown

La Crosse, WI

#1 Jul 28, 2008
I am having a hard time conjuring up any sympathy for Jarvis. He was a convicted felon himself and apparently, like father, like son. If he had really cared about his son as he claimed, maybe he should have taught him right from wrong so the kid would not end up following in his footsteps and it certainly was not the trooper's fault he had to do his job and arrest the loser son. All this could have been avoided way before a trooper got shot and Thank God he is going to be OK,and this loser would not have killed himself. People who fear police are the ones who are constantly in trouble, and they have the gall when they get arrested yet again, to blame the police for their problems. It is so easy for them to say when they are behind bars that they will change their ways, and yet, once they are released on parole or probation, only to return to a life of crime the minute the probation officer's back is turned and then when busted again, they whine that LE has it in for them. So many times I will read the police roundup and the same old same old people are getting arrested again? Some people will never learn or wake up until they are sent up the river for life with no parole, and then hear them whine and snivel how they were not given a second chance! One thing about living in a free world is one has the right to make their own choices and if they make bad ones, they have to pay the price, and I am sick of defense attorney's blaming bad childhoods, addictions, Mama's and Daddy's inability to be good parents, anyone but their client for his or her actions. He was molested as a kid so therefore he molests, Mama was a drunk, Daddy beat them up, Uncle was a a robber so therefore that is why he robs banks, it is getting old fast especially when it comes to child molesters. Jarvis had choices and so did his son and they chose the wrong ones so I hope this shooting incident does not turn into a "Woody thing" where the troopers are blamed for this moron's actions. Just like Jarvis, Woody had choices and it burned me up to no end how those officers were vilified when all they did was to try to stop Woody from committing suicide or taking them out or members of the congregation, it was not Parker's or Holbrook's fault, and these troopers should not be blamed for this loser's decision.
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#2 Jul 28, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_ma... ... Virginia Tech Massacre

Generally we have a national crisis with untreated mental illness...half of the people in jail have a mental illness. I bet you this all was derived from mental illness and poverty.

I blame the community for not helping these individuals seek treatment. I blame the collective community for setting up the condition where a heroic police officer’s life would be threatened...put him and all those police officers into a path of a bullet.

NH has one of the worst records on the care of the mentally ill.

The Virginia Tech Review Panel

http://www.vtreviewpanel.org/report/index.htm...

I was actually talking about the care of the mentally ill just a few days ago. The gist was to this fellow...our care was terrible. He basically told me his wife worked in a group home taking care of elderly mentally ill people (women). The state owned this huge white house...he was shocked the state was spending so much money on them. The all ate great and lived like kings...they had staff at the house 24 hours. He said I wish I lived like that. His wife was making $8.00 an hour as aid in the group house.

My buddy just sold his home and moved in with friends. His is having financial problems and is under considerable trouble. Today he is not making more that his wife when she worked in the group home. I’d say he is around 60 years old. He was that jealous the mentally disable were getting so much money...while he was economically spiraling down in a black hole. He always seem like a descent person to me and still is. When he first brought the subject up, he implied that the Nazi’s had the right idea...they put them all in ovens....they were efficient and economical.

I wonder how widespread that feeling is in our population...how best to treat the mentally ill?
Mike Mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#3 Jul 28, 2008
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/121...

He did good on a very difficult situation.

As Senator Barack Obama turns to the choice of his running mate, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine has emerged as one of the campaign’s potential finalists, sources familiar with conversations in Richmond and in Chicago said.
Kim G

Claremont, NH

#4 Aug 1, 2008
To Linda Brown~ Caro, MI
Easy for you to judge someone you do not know, have never known and will never know. Thank you to close minded people like you, things get out of hand and people who would have never done something of this magnitude get blamed for horrific accidents because they might have a shady past.
Everyone has skeletons in their closet dear.
brittany

Charlestown, NH

#6 May 18, 2010
He was my uncle mind your own Buisness
brittany

Charlestown, NH

#7 May 18, 2010
to linda Brown
jway

Florence, AL

#8 May 19, 2010
OK all you do goodies, Just watch a few of History ch prison episodes, One family had 6 or 8 of its members in prison at the same time 2 of them women mostly selling drugs etc, over 2 .5 million incarnated and no way are there more than 5% have a mental problem. They are lazy, wont the easy way out learn from there peers or family,they wont the macho man life money sex drugs. POO PO POO. You people help these asses with excuses, that why we are in the shape we are in now.Way to go Linda BROWN thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in New Hampsh... (Oct '10) Jun 22 Hudsvegasman 30
kory blanchard (Mar '13) Jun 9 rjarvis 7
nh right of way laws (Jul '08) Oct '14 john 2
police corruption plagues sullivan county and c... (Mar '08) Aug '14 knows 21
News Claremont begins demolishing old outdoor pool (Jul '14) Jul '14 MOM 1
Gary wallace and grave robber Debbie (Mar '11) Apr '14 Daughter of Gary 4
Long Gas lines (Nov '12) Nov '12 Sue 1
More from around the web

Charlestown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Charlestown Mortgages