War Veteran absolutely did NOT threat...

War Veteran absolutely did NOT threaten a public official!!!

Posted in the Charleston Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: May 12

United States

#1 May 30, 2012
In defense of an Iraqi War Veteran and my good friend's honor!!!! I have a story that will be posting in tomorrow's Charleston Gazette ( http://wvgazette.com/News/201205290123 ). I contacted them after an outrageous story they printed about a really good friend of mine. Even in my attempt to salvage his reputation and defend his honor the Gazette only posted excerpts from my quotes so I've included what I told them verbatim below. I'm still half tempted to contact WSAZ over my outrage. Anyways what I said via email was this:
To whom it may concern:
My name is Brittany Allen and I'm writing in response to your article "War veteran threatens judge during sentencing, prosecutors say". I was present during the sentencing hearing and heard exactly what was said. First of all I would like to point out that absolutely no physical threat was made toward judge Bloom and even the thought of such an allegation is ludicrous. All Mr Heater did was ask to speak to judge Bloom from a personal opinion after he was given his sentence only to express his feelings of an injustice. He was speaking of irony meaning how ironic it was for him to have personally served this country so that all Americans be treated equally and fairly only to be given an unfair sentence for his crime. Irony as in him fighting for freedom only to have his taken away. The reason he said this was because both his defense council and the prosecutors both requested that he be placed on probation however the judge sentenced him to no less than one year in confinement. I too feel this was an unfair and extreme punishment. All he meant by his words to judge Bloom was that pretty much if this injustice could happen to him then it could happen to anyone. He also said that you'll never know how your life will turn out meaning him personally being an upstanding citizen and overall mild natured man who may have made a careless mistake one night, will always be known for the one thing he's done wrong. That every positive thing he's done in his life will be outweighed by this one conviction. I personally didn't hear any threat or sense any anger in his demeanor. He was serious and very calm even after being given the worst news of his young life. All he was trying to say was how both he and Judge Bloom both serve their country (what they had in common) and how nobody is perfect and is capable of making a stupid mistake in their life and if Judge Bloom was ever in the same situation as he is now in, he hopes he isn't treated unfairly as well. Cont.

United States

#2 May 30, 2012
Also I would like to reiterate why I feel his veteran status shouldn't be overly emphasized. Soldiers are sometimes perceived to be aggressive in nature and some people automatically think of guns and violence with images of Rambo going through their head. Though soldiers are merely courageous individuals who love their country so much that they selflessly volunteer to defend it against all enemies. They fight for our freedoms that we tend take for granted every day without the expectation of fame or fortune. They bound are by duty, loyalty, honor, and respect. Their integrity is their most valued possession, however they are also human and capable of making mistakes as well. Gabriel Heater is indeed an Iraqi war veteran and served as a combat medic in which his main mission was to save lives, not take them. He was a healer to the wounded and he always was the Soldier others would look to when something needed done because they knew he would not rest until the mission was complete. He out ranked fellow Soldiers who had been serving for several years more than he and was the kind of NCO (non commissioned officer) that junior enlisted Soldiers strive to be. It takes a Hell of a soul and pure heart to put personal angst aside towards an enemy prisoner of war, who you know had launched an attack on fellow Soldiers, and treating his life threatening wounds. And yes most veterans who return home do suffer to some degree from post traumatic stress disorder and he is no exception however in lieu of self medicating with drugs/alcohol or becoming self destructive as most veterans tend to do, he made art his outlet. He expressed his feelings and emotions about the life he's lived through his extraordinary creative talents in his paintings/sculptures, music composition, and poetry. He is so much more than just the convicted criminal as portrayed in your article and I felt compelled to write the Gazette and let the rest of the World know who Gabriel Heater truly is. I've known Gabriel for years and known by my children as "Uncle Heater". He has always been a positive, ambitious, and jovial individual. Not only is he a war veteran; he's also an artist, a troubadour, an honor student, a poet, a volunteer, and the one friend you have that you can always trust to be there when you need him no matter what. I personally think its a shame that so many lives he's touched have to now suffer without his uplifting jokes, his voice of reason, his phenomenal talents, his generosity, his sincerity, that out of the blue text message just to make sure you and your family are doing ok, his compassion, his morality, and his kind heart. If I didn't believe in the person I know Gabriel is, I wouldn't dare waist my time writing to defend his reputation. Please help me accomplish this feat!
1 post removed
nunya

Lubbock, TX

#4 May 30, 2012
Well cry me a river! This is an example of why you shouldn't tell the news or cops ANYTHING. They will distort and twist what you say to make a story or conviction.

United States

#5 May 30, 2012
Wow Nunya! How extremely immature and ignorant of you to say about the only outlets we have to protect and preserve our dignity and human rights. My report did exactly what I intended which was defend my good friend's reputation but thanks for your insight. It is hereby duly noted as disreputable!
Made up his mind

Charleston, WV

#6 May 30, 2012
I believe that Judge Bloom is hateful and mean bully. The sentence he gave Mr Heater was shocking. Duke Bloom is a sissy boy who wouldn't last a day in Iraq.
Vet

Racine, WV

#7 May 30, 2012
You must be involved in the love triangle.

United States

#8 May 30, 2012
To Vet: So because a female is friends with a male she's automatically accused of having sex with him? It is that type of ignorance that makes the World today such a disgrace for all who inhabit it. Let me set you straight though my friend: Gabriel Heater has been a friend of my family for 5 years and my children call him "uncle". I've had the privilege to serve in the same unit and as a junior enlisted Soldier I had nothing but up most respect for my NCO. My boyfriend is quite aware of my friendship with Gabriel and supports me being there for my friend in his time of need. He has no one else to help him through this travesty and I'm a woman of my word who promised to do whatever it takes to get him through this, including defending ignorant comments and opinions such as yours. But thank you for at least reading my post. Everyone is entitled to their closed minded opinions.
toes are curling

Charleston, WV

#9 May 30, 2012
Vet wrote:
You must be involved in the love triangle.
Yep, she's totally banging him.

United States

#10 May 30, 2012
Well It would be a lot easier defining our friendship to morons like you all if only I was "banging" him. LOL
Vet

Barboursville, WV

#11 May 31, 2012
toes are curling wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, she's totally banging him.
I love it when I'm right.
Vet

Barboursville, WV

#12 May 31, 2012
Britt Allen wrote:
To Vet: So because a female is friends with a male she's automatically accused of having sex with him? It is that type of ignorance that makes the World today such a disgrace for all who inhabit it. Let me set you straight though my friend: Gabriel Heater has been a friend of my family for 5 years and my children call him "uncle". I've had the privilege to serve in the same unit and as a junior enlisted Soldier I had nothing but up most respect for my NCO. My boyfriend is quite aware of my friendship with Gabriel and supports me being there for my friend in his time of need. He has no one else to help him through this travesty and I'm a woman of my word who promised to do whatever it takes to get him through this, including defending ignorant comments and opinions such as yours. But thank you for at least reading my post. Everyone is entitled to their closed minded opinions.
Courts are getting tired of people pulling the PTSD card.

Your partner just needs to suck it up and do his time.

United States

#13 May 31, 2012
He never once mentioned PTSD in court and never acted like the traumatized combat veteran. Unlike a lot of vets I've met who consistently talk about the horrific fabricated events they've made up in their own minds only to gain sympathy from others. I've personally dealt with a man like that. And as you sit there acting high and mighty I must have missed the memo that you were perfect and have NEVER made a mistake. Everyone has done something illegal at least once in their life, I'm sure even yourself.
Vet

Nitro, WV

#14 May 31, 2012
Britt Allen wrote:
He never once mentioned PTSD in court and never acted like the traumatized combat veteran. Unlike a lot of vets I've met who consistently talk about the horrific fabricated events they've made up in their own minds only to gain sympathy from others. I've personally dealt with a man like that. And as you sit there acting high and mighty I must have missed the memo that you were perfect and have NEVER made a mistake. Everyone has done something illegal at least once in their life, I'm sure even yourself.
I don't have to make up events that happened when I was in Iraq. I live it everyday.

As far as a high horse. I have none. Just an average Joe.
defender

AOL

#15 May 31, 2012
Britt - read the transcripts from the court - they should be at least 3/4 correct - it is or should also be on a CD. This Judge is so afraid of everybody he has become paranoid and should not be a judge of anything, unless it's the chili cook-off. And then I would question his ability to judge that correctly. Remember, you can appeal and do so immediately. John Mitchell, Jr. is going to run against him next time he runs - so goooo JOHN.

United States

#16 May 31, 2012
Doesn't feel good when people make preconceived notions about things they have no clue about though does it. I have nothing but respect for our Veterans which is why I'm so adamant to stand up for the rights of this one, namely my NCO. Male or female I would still be here doing the same and for someone who doesn't know the person and Soldier Gabriel Heater is I don't expect you to understand my reasoning. But Ill take the criticism and accusations from the rest of the World and continue to fight his injustice. As for you Sir, I say thank you for your service to this great nation.
defender

AOL

#17 May 31, 2012
Another thing - any Veteran who has served in any WAR, knows what they have seen and been exposed to. Some people who have never served have no idea what goes on - yes, thanks to your friend, Mr. Heater, this Judge and the others who are so critical, know nothing about any WAR. Mr. Heater put his life on the line day after day - as a Medic he had very little back-up. I know - I have been there.
CHAD

Charleston, WV

#18 May 31, 2012
Hats off to the OP for a solid stand in support of a vet who is obviously the recipient of unwarranted
and somewhat irrational behavior from Bloom.I particularly enjoyed comments at #13. Britt Allen, you have proven yourself to be a true friend of Gabriel Heater.

United States

#19 May 31, 2012
Thank you so much Defender! I am in the process of finding another attorney to handle his appeal. Can I request transcripts from the hearing itself?
CHAD

Charleston, WV

#20 May 31, 2012
I believe so. And for others who may not know, filing as a pauper (limited income) allows waiving the charge for those transcripts.

United States

#21 May 31, 2012
Thank you Chad and as stated in my original post, if I didn't truly believe in the person I know Heater is I WOULDN'T be here. But I do as does everyone else who knows him and its time the rest of the World sees the truth about him and the injustice he's suffered as a result of our infamously flawed judicial system in the state of WV.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 54 min yeah right 1,495
Tom Loo Loo Clark 1 hr Wolfe Bert 1
Kanawha Electric Sucks 1 hr Shop Guy Two 22
Dark chocolate 2 hr Worship 1
Heaven? 2 hr Nancy 93
Yoly Molina 3 hr Wondering 1
Clean Coal Joe (May '14) 3 hr coal catastrophic... 92

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance