DUI checkpoints

There are 27 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Dec 13, 2011, titled DUI checkpoints. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

Contact us Search archives Page Reprints Getting Into Print Weather Our History Privacy Statement RSS Feeds Advertising Webcams >> More blue AP Video News Politics Gazette Charities Business Police Blotter Watchdog News Columnists Putnam County Public records Special Reports Weird News Corrections School closings Advisories >> More blue WVU ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Why

Huntington, WV

#1 Dec 14, 2011
Why do they report when and where these checkpoints will be? Is there some legal reason why they have to do this? It just seems to me that it defeats the whole purpose of doing it in the first place.
jo

Huntington, WV

#2 Dec 14, 2011
Why wrote:
Why do they report when and where these checkpoints will be? Is there some legal reason why they have to do this? It just seems to me that it defeats the whole purpose of doing it in the first place.
prolly entrapment not sure tho
eaglepar

Hollywood, FL

#3 Dec 14, 2011
For the same reason cops can't sit parked outside of bars and "follow" people who are leaving
Slave

United States

#4 Dec 14, 2011
You've been warned. If ya get caught, tough shit.
Bob

Charleston, WV

#5 Dec 14, 2011
jo wrote:
<quoted text>
prolly entrapment not sure tho
No its not entrapment. Entrapment is the police causing the person to do something that they would not normally do, then arresting them for it. The polie do not cause anybody to drive drunk. For example: If an officer knows that a person is under the influence of alcohol and then tells them to move their car because it is illegally parked then when they do,arrest them for DUI. That would beentrapment. Also it has nothing to do with hiding or watching cars leave a bar. The police did not tell people to get in their car and leave the bar and drive drunk.
Bob

Charleston, WV

#6 Dec 14, 2011
Why wrote:
Why do they report when and where these checkpoints will be? Is there some legal reason why they have to do this? It just seems to me that it defeats the whole purpose of doing it in the first place.
Yes. you are correct. It is a requirement by law that they post the time and place of a DUI check point in the paper and/or televison. This law probably is the result of the arrest of a law maker after he drove through a DUI check point and got caught.
justasking

Penn Laird, VA

#7 Dec 14, 2011
Come on, ashley meyers!
Tell us why they have to broadcast sobriety checkpoints!
Surely you or your husband have the answer!
2 posts removed
Rham Emanuel

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Dec 14, 2011
her husband wrote:
Sorry, Ashley is busy giving me a b/ow job!!!!
Is she blowing in your ear while you are doing your best buddy?
Gregg bURKEY

Stuart, FL

#11 Dec 14, 2011
Just dont drink and drive Gregg Burkey, it kills.
1 post removed
Ashley Meyers

Slippery Rock, PA

#13 Dec 14, 2011
justasking wrote:
Come on, ashley meyers!
Tell us why they have to broadcast sobriety checkpoints!
Surely you or your husband have the answer!
You sure are obsessed with me. Someone already answered the question....it's the law. Why? Hell, I don't know. Id have to research that one but since I don't really care I guess you'll have to figure this one out on your own. Unlike you have proposed I never claimed to know EVERYTHING. I will say I disagree with this law though...you drink and drive you should go to jail and I don't think they should give any help in you avoiding such. I do know that there are a surprisingly high number of idiots that still drive through them drunk or otherwise behind the wheel when they shouldn't be even after they are advertised. Before my husband went into the federal system and still worked at the state level he had some dumb ass admit he had been told when he left the bar that they were doing a checkpoint two blocks away and not to drive that way and he did it anyway because at nearly 3 times the legal limit he didn't think they'd be able to tell he'd been drinking. Some people are just too stupid to breathe without a reminder! Hey, if you figure out why it's law they advertise checkpoints then let me know. I don't care enough to research it myself and I'll probably forget to ask my husband (and he may not know either...) but it could be interesting to know how this falls under a law that makes it mandatory to advertise it.

Since: Nov 11

Charleston, WV

#14 Dec 15, 2011
You may also find it interesting that law inforcement must allow an escape route if involved in a car chase.

Since: Nov 11

Charleston, WV

#15 Dec 15, 2011
Law enforcement officials in most states occasionally set up DUI checkpoints, also called sobriety checkpoints or roadside safety checks, to question motorists and determine whether or not they are drunk or otherwise impaired. DUI checkpoints consist of police roadblocks at busy thoroughfares at which motorists are randomly selected for screening.

Some jurisdictions heavily publicize dates and times of DUI checkpoints, typically conducted at peak times of alcohol consumption such as New Year's Eve, in an effort to deter drunk driving. Sobriety checkpoints reduce alcohol-related crashes by about 20 percent, according to a U.S. Centers for Disease Control report combining the results of 23 scientific studies.

Although they tend to be controversial, DUI checkpoints have survived most legal challenges; even in some states where statutes require an officer to have reasonable suspicion of intoxication before initiating a traffic stop. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1990 that sobriety checkpoints are legal under federal law (Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz), leaving it up to the individual states to decide.

DUI checkpoints are not conducted in the following 11 states because they are either considered illegal by law or state constitution, or the state lacks authority to conduct them:

Alaska
Idaho
Iowa
Michigan
Minnesota
Oregon
Rhode Island
Texas
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming
darrell

Portland, TN

#16 Dec 15, 2011
Where I live they get a lot more people for no insurance, seat belts, and so on than they do for dui. Bench warrants for failure to appear in misdemeanor court is a big hitter for them. I know there are those few dip shits who will drink and drive into a check point but I honestly think that here it is a way for the county to round up cash.
jo

Huntington, WV

#17 Dec 15, 2011
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>No its not entrapment. Entrapment is the police causing the person to do something that they would not normally do, then arresting them for it. The polie do not cause anybody to drive drunk. For example: If an officer knows that a person is under the influence of alcohol and then tells them to move their car because it is illegally parked then when they do,arrest them for DUI. That would beentrapment. Also it has nothing to do with hiding or watching cars leave a bar. The police did not tell people to get in their car and leave the bar and drive drunk.
ok it's not entrapment so what would it be exactly?
Bob

Charleston, WV

#18 Dec 15, 2011
jo wrote:
<quoted text>
ok it's not entrapment so what would it be exactly?
If you are asking what it is for the police to sit outside of a bar and watch cars leaving the parking lot, its totally legal. The police still have to obtain probable cause to pull the car over such as swerving or weaving. The police can't just stop a car because it was seen leaving a bar.
Bob

Charleston, WV

#19 Dec 15, 2011
Flame2 wrote:
You may also find it interesting that law inforcement must allow an escape route if involved in a car chase.
I think you are confused. The police must leave have an alternate route that the vehicles can take to avoid going through the checkpoint. But beware, all check points have chase cars who will follow you if you are seen avoiding the checkpoint and if your driving is in question you will be stopped legally. I know of no instance where the police have to leave an escape route in a pursuit. And how could they if they don't even know where the pursuit is headed.

Since: Nov 11

Danville, WV

#20 Dec 16, 2011
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are confused. The police must leave have an alternate route that the vehicles can take to avoid going through the checkpoint. But beware, all check points have chase cars who will follow you if you are seen avoiding the checkpoint and if your driving is in question you will be stopped legally. I know of no instance where the police have to leave an escape route in a pursuit. And how could they if they don't even know where the pursuit is headed.
Sorry blowbob i meant they can't block it from the front.
mini marcher

United States

#21 Dec 16, 2011
The police can advertise where a checkpoint will be & the drunks will still go right to them because they "think" they're ok!!! Lol
Ashley Myers

Slippery Rock, PA

#22 Dec 16, 2011
Flame2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry blowbob i meant they can't block it from the front.
They can throw out spike strips....do you count that?

Since: Nov 11

Danville, WV

#23 Dec 17, 2011
Ashley Myers wrote:
<quoted text>
They can throw out spike strips....do you count that?
ask your husband.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer McAndrews. 1 hr Zil 8
Ashton Medical Associates 2 hr For sure 11
Beckley man and his "girlfriend" 3 hr R truth 3
wvdoh (Aug '12) 3 hr Jerry 42
News UC's first Physicians Assistants class set to g... 3 hr PAc 1
Boone Co. Teacher Arrested for Inappropriate Re... 5 hr More for fannie 1
Suddenlink Ownership 6 hr SOLD 7
More from around the web

Charleston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]