Man faces murder charges after killin...

Man faces murder charges after killing alleged robber

There are 369 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Aug 22, 2011, titled Man faces murder charges after killing alleged robber. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

A Logan County man was killed outside a Walmart store after he allegedly attempted to rob another man with a knife.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
wondering

New York, NY

#1 Aug 22, 2011
I thought you could carry a firearm in WV as long as you don't conceal it. What would you do if someone was robbing you with a knife.
modz2

Charleston, WV

#2 Aug 23, 2011
The guy who killed the guy robbing him at walmart had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
In my opinion,its total self defense.Sometimes robbers,try to rob the wrong guy and pay the big price.
Charging the shooter with 1st degree murder is absurd,and no jury will convict him.If the shooters name was Godby or similiar,this wouldnt be an issue,even if it was murder.
Cudos to the guy for stopping just one of the people preying on our society.
What would be said,if the guy was robbing your grandma?,instead of someone who can fight back?
Sure

Huntington, WV

#3 Aug 23, 2011
Sure it would be self defense if he was defending himself, but when he shot the guy the guy was walking away from him...he shot him point blank in the back of the head. Clean shot. That's not self defense.
modz2

Charleston, WV

#4 Aug 23, 2011
Yes it is to me,the guy just put a sharp object to the guys neck..just because in a flash the robber saw him pull a gun,...put me on the jury...the guy should be thanked for taking out a predator.
TjD

Proctorville, OH

#5 Aug 23, 2011
Think about what was in the wallet- Pictures of the mans family "kids" address to where he could find him again... I wouldnt dare give him a chance to come back after me or my family. If you dont want to die, dont commit crimes. Why protect those whom are out to take everything from us, I am happy the man DEFENDED himself. Could you imagine what feelings you would be having if that happened to you? I would say most would have done the same thing.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 Aug 23, 2011
first of all he could have shot him in the leg and he wouldn't be up on charges. he will pull some time on this one!
Mary

Masontown, WV

#7 Aug 23, 2011
A woman is waiting to catch the bus after working her shift as a waitress, her purse full of the tips she had made on that long day.

A man attempts to rob her. He tells her to slowly reach in her purse and give him all her money.

She reaches her hand into her purse, pulls out a gun and shoots him 6 times.

In court, the judge asks her why she shot him 6 times. She replies, "I ran out of bullets after that."
just saying

West Hamlin, WV

#8 Aug 23, 2011
If the guy would've got by with robbing the guy..he would be right back doing it again, and it might have been me, you or one of our loved ones!!!I say if i was on the jury NOT GUILTY!!!
ha

New York, NY

#9 Aug 23, 2011
I guess it's safe to say thieves can do what ever they want here. Steal copper, break into homes, and rob people walking to their car. Wow what a place to live. Instead of turning people in let's just join them. Hell they've got plenty of money feel good all the time and don't have to follow the law!!!!!

abbagoochie

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#10 Aug 23, 2011
Amen another piece of human debris at room temperature. Sur can tell who the libs r by what they post.
1 post removed
ha

Saint Albans, WV

#12 Aug 23, 2011
opossum wrote:
David Abbott was a worthless pos that did a lot of things to a lot of good people. Jesus is a hard working guy that bothered nobody, at least he has a job and don't live on welfare and rob people.
FREE JESSE!!!!!
Amen
sad

Charleston, WV

#13 Aug 23, 2011
If they convict this man for defending what was his, the money he earned as an honest citizen, then the robbery crime rate will soar to new levels in this area. So what if he was walking away, that was after the fact that he just threatened this man with a weapon, the shooter probably wasn't sure what the scum bag was going to do next, to him or the other innocent people at walmart. set him free and let this be a lesson to all the low life's that think honest hard working people owe them something.
Big Worm

Charleston, WV

#14 Aug 23, 2011
Who cares? It was a Mexican.
Bev Grey

Charleston, WV

#15 Aug 23, 2011
Citizens all over should show up at court in support of this fella; more of this is gonna strt happening because that's the only way to stop them!
Law, judges and magistrates rnt doing anything!
I for one am sick and tired of our communities and our children being bullied by these lazy drug dealers and thieving cowards! If that's what they wanna give then they Betta b ready to take the same!
Some citizens are going to take just so much of their immaturity and stupidity.....
the eye

Saint Albans, WV

#16 Aug 23, 2011
kwik1 wrote:
first of all he could have shot him in the leg and he wouldn't be up on charges. he will pull some time on this one!
Have to shoot to kill not wound.... Had he been a woman they wouldn't be charging him at all... Should have emptied the clip in him...
the eye

Saint Albans, WV

#17 Aug 23, 2011
sad wrote:
If they convict this man for defending what was his, the money he earned as an honest citizen, then the robbery crime rate will soar to new levels in this area. So what if he was walking away, that was after the fact that he just threatened this man with a weapon, the shooter probably wasn't sure what the scum bag was going to do next, to him or the other innocent people at walmart. set him free and let this be a lesson to all the low life's that think honest hard working people owe them something.
Look at the rate in charleston!!! It says it all. We are not safe anymore and now they don't want us to defend ourselves. That is bad
tired of the trash

United States

#18 Aug 23, 2011
The way I see it is that it's one less thief in the community. Who knows what you might do if someone pulled a sharp object and threatened to kill you. I don't care if they were walking away...I'd think you'd be so rattled you wouldn't know where you were aiming. Think about all the robberies around here. The police NEVER manage to find anything. The poor guy that robbed would have just been out his hard earned money. I can tell you know if it were someone in my family I'd be shooting mad if they were threatened! I consider this just a warning to the thieves and drug addicts. People aren't going to tolerate their actions anymore. They had better just consider what the consequences might be if they threaten to kill someone while robbing them.
Bev Grey

Charleston, WV

#19 Aug 23, 2011
tired of the trash wrote:
The way I see it is that it's one less thief in the community. Who knows what you might do if someone pulled a sharp object and threatened to kill you. I don't care if they were walking away...I'd think you'd be so rattled you wouldn't know where you were aiming. Think about all the robberies around here. The police NEVER manage to find anything. The poor guy that robbed would have just been out his hard earned money. I can tell you know if it were someone in my family I'd be shooting mad if they were threatened! I consider this just a warning to the thieves and drug addicts. People aren't going to tolerate their actions anymore. They had better just consider what the consequences might be if they threaten to kill someone while robbing them.
Amen ta that!
yea

Saint Albans, WV

#20 Aug 23, 2011
If it was me I'd done the same thing. Bye-bye

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#21 Aug 23, 2011
i'll go if you do...
Bev Grey wrote:
Citizens all over should show up at court in support of this fella; more of this is gonna strt happening because that's the only way to stop them!
Law, judges and magistrates rnt doing anything!
I for one am sick and tired of our communities and our children being bullied by these lazy drug dealers and thieving cowards! If that's what they wanna give then they Betta b ready to take the same!
Some citizens are going to take just so much of their immaturity and stupidity.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charleston Has Gone Completly Crazy 5 min Garbage man 10
Jess Bailes for magistrate 29 min Denise 26
Men are so VAIN these days 52 min My horse won 4
Alright ladies, be honest, which is your ideal ... 1 hr Sasha 52
Would you marry your spouse if you could go bac... 3 hr Horace Man 12
The Runs AKA D1 (Dec '15) 3 hr Hollerhunter 3
Go Texas 4 hr George 1

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance