Settlement reached over Mountain State University closure

Aug 13, 2014 Full story: West Virginia Metro 14

The University of Charleston and attorneys representing former students at the now defunct Mountain State University announced a settlement Wednesday which will end numerous individual and class action lawsuits which followed the closing of the school in Beckley and Martinsburg.

Full Story
MSUUC

Hagerstown, MD

#1 Aug 14, 2014
I am so glad a settlement was reached. I am not sure how much more lies and deceit I can handle. This for sure would be a nice movie to make to detail all the events leading upto tihs settlement. One would wonder how much assets are still hidden from MSU and what agreements were made behind the doors with UC and MSU. I have heard UC was to take a lot of MSU assets for nothing. I liked the comment that UC was gald that a settlement was reached but UC was trying everything they could to retain as much assets from MSU. As far as the insurance company , United Educators, they were busy trying to figure out ways not to pay. But as they said , their interest is with the investors and not the intentions of doing good and protecting students. It was also noted the United Educators kept changing the polciy for everytime a situation arised, but the nursing aspect of the insurance policy must have been an oversite. I just wonder how these properties would be sold and how many students can get any settlement funds. I believe the nursing students were the hardest hit such as I and not to sound greedy but feel that nursing students need the money so we can obtain a higher degree that is accredidated by a national organization. No one understand the frustration and anxiety this was attending MSU and being told everything is ok and while you only have couple classes left and was not like you could transfer somewhere else when you were so close to graduating but as soon as you graudate then you were told the NLN and stripped MSU of the accredidation. The funds are to come from insurance company and it was to be be 10 million but it is now 8 million, wonder what happen to the other 2 million dollars, and the realestate I wonder how they can sell those properties and land and who else will share the funds from those properties and how much is still owed to MSU with department of educatioin? I still have this feeling that after all is said ,very little will be available to pay for the settlement, especially if someone or a groiup of people are still running MSU and burning cash as fast as they can. How much interest does UC still have with MSU because I know couple students could not get their transcripts from MSU because UC as blocked the release due to suppossingly some money still owed to MSU but it is to go to UC. I am confused over this and even called UC myself and was told that some monies goes to UC on behalf of MSU so I think there is much more to this that is not being said but maybe this is another can of worms that we don't need ot open right now. I understand there might be mispelled words or grammer not correct, I apologize for this and I am simply venting out my thoughts. I appreciate any feedback good or bad.
MSUUC

Hagerstown, MD

#2 Aug 14, 2014
test
greedymuch

United States

#3 Saturday Aug 23
My kid was pursuing a career in law enforcement, which to me is way more prestigious than nursing so I say, that rates getting money more so than some nursing student. In a thread asking for justice, you do realize you sound....greedy. You deserve the exact same as every other student they screwed. Nothing more, nothing less. Your sense of self importance would have fit in great with their administration. You don't want justice, you want favoritism. EVERY student they screwed should get every penny back, not just the 'elite'(insert smirk here)nursing students.
MSUUC wrote:
I am so glad a settlement was reached. I am not sure how much more lies and deceit I can handle. This for sure would be a nice movie to make to detail all the events leading upto tihs settlement. One would wonder how much assets are still hidden from MSU and what agreements were made behind the doors with UC and MSU. I have heard UC was to take a lot of MSU assets for nothing. I liked the comment that UC was gald that a settlement was reached but UC was trying everything they could to retain as much assets from MSU. As far as the insurance company , United Educators, they were busy trying to figure out ways not to pay. But as they said , their interest is with the investors and not the intentions of doing good and protecting students. It was also noted the United Educators kept changing the polciy for everytime a situation arised, but the nursing aspect of the insurance policy must have been an oversite. I just wonder how these properties would be sold and how many students can get any settlement funds. I believe the nursing students were the hardest hit such as I and not to sound greedy but feel that nursing students need the money so we can obtain a higher degree that is accredidated by a national organization. No one understand the frustration and anxiety this was attending MSU and being told everything is ok and while you only have couple classes left and was not like you could transfer somewhere else when you were so close to graduating but as soon as you graudate then you were told the NLN and stripped MSU of the accredidation. The funds are to come from insurance company and it was to be be 10 million but it is now 8 million, wonder what happen to the other 2 million dollars, and the realestate I wonder how they can sell those properties and land and who else will share the funds from those properties and how much is still owed to MSU with department of educatioin? I still have this feeling that after all is said ,very little will be available to pay for the settlement, especially if someone or a groiup of people are still running MSU and burning cash as fast as they can. How much interest does UC still have with MSU because I know couple students could not get their transcripts from MSU because UC as blocked the release due to suppossingly some money still owed to MSU but it is to go to UC. I am confused over this and even called UC myself and was told that some monies goes to UC on behalf of MSU so I think there is much more to this that is not being said but maybe this is another can of worms that we don't need ot open right now. I understand there might be mispelled words or grammer not correct, I apologize for this and I am simply venting out my thoughts. I appreciate any feedback good or bad.
Bird

Oak Hill, WV

#4 Saturday Aug 23
Yea I think all that went there and was affected by their dirty dealings should b compensated. I was able to transfer school but most of my credits were worthless and I think all the students that were done this way Need paid back for the money and time they lost with these crooks
nursing

Greencastle, PA

#5 Saturday Aug 23
MSUUC wrote:
As usual nursing has to stay together. I agree with you. Its a sham people don't understand the difference between an accreditation on top of the HLC accreditation. I think when people dont understand they misconstrue things. Btw make sure very little is said about this settlement as it is confidential. Also the attorney had said the nursing litigation opened up for other students but nursing would get a larger share. I got some info on potential nursing schools for Masters level.
Really

Hagerstown, MD

#6 Thursday Sep 11
greedymuch wrote:
My kid was pursuing a career in law enforcement, which to me is way more prestigious than nursing so I say, that rates getting money more so than some nursing student. In a thread asking for justice, you do realize you sound....greedy. You deserve the exact same as every other student they screwed. Nothing more, nothing less. Your sense of self importance would have fit in great with their administration. You don't want justice, you want favoritism. EVERY student they screwed should get every penny back, not just the 'elite'(insert smirk here)nursing students. <quoted text>
I would normally not post on comments like these but for people like myself who attended MSU and have been harmed by the nursing programs revoked accredidation by NLN and CCRN has caused more problems than anyother problem that caused problems to non nursing program. I am not going to say another field of study such as law enforcement is more prestigious than the other, but I do now feel nursing is more prestigious than law enforcement but again I guess a police officer armed with a gun is more prestigious than a nurse armed with a bed pan. But the fact remains the nursing division was harmed as stated by the courts and has been in the legal system way before the school folded. I glad justice was served and at least some monatary settlement is in the works. Everyone understands that there is there is no money enough to cover the the damages done to the nursing students. Sorry maybe I am just as greedy as everyone else but your welcome to go to Charlestown, WV and hold up signs protesting your arguement.(insert smirk here)!
MSUUC

Hagerstown, MD

#7 Thursday Sep 11
I to, would normally not stoop so low and argue what field is more presitigious but more I look at this post the more I wonder. First, I am sorry that people think I am greedy but maybe I am. Heaven forbid that I am taking my compensation to further my education to obtain my Masters degree that is accredidated by NLN or CCRN so that I would have a nationally accredidated nursing degree. As I stated before, I was trying to vent my frustrations and excitement over the settlement. I do thank the overwhelming support people have shown me in the past few months, this has been greatly appreciated. I am sorry for everyone else who feels that they were harmed in other ways from MSU and I would not make comments about other people who have been harmed by MSU and wish them the best and hopefuly they too can find justice. Now I would not go as far as picketing in front of the court house at Charleston, WV but there is a hearing October 6th to finalize the settlement.
UC MSU poll

Beckley, WV

#8 Thursday Sep 11
Please read and vote on the MSU UC pole.

Great corruption here.
Aida

Beckley, WV

#9 Friday Sep 12
UC MSU poll wrote:
Please read and vote on the MSU UC pole.
Great corruption here.
Vote, because I will be too drunk trying to forget my own guilt and crimes.
Cancer Abounds MSU

Beckley, WV

#10 Saturday Sep 13
The guilty ones and those who barely avoided Racketeering charges. The are clearly discussed in the HLC report below. Shame on you former MSU sista girls and boys who were so corrupt.

Many were more than glad to carry out Polk's directions and worse.

Everyone please read about the MSU administration.

http://ncahlc.org/download/_PublicDisclosureN...

After reading the report think about those administrators from MSU who cried at church, boo hoo ed while attending nursing meetings, seemed so remorseful at faculty meetings...what a scam!

Now they spread their cancer.
Aida wrote:
<quoted text>
Vote, because I will be too drunk trying to forget my own guilt and crimes.
Aida

Beckley, WV

#11 Saturday Sep 13
The cancer abounds, within my soul. I need another drink.
Florida Sunshine

Beckley, WV

#12 Saturday Sep 13
O my goodness. Maybe we can get a babysitting job and find a husband if UC goes down.
Aida wrote:
The cancer abounds, within my soul. I need another drink.
indebt

Williamson, WV

#13 Saturday Sep 13
I think whoever attended there shouldn't have to pay back any student loans...graduate or not...if the credits aren't any good then why the hell are we even paying $20,000 + in loans or more???...Mountain State should be held liable for each and every student that applied through them no matter if you graduated or not..
Aida

Beckley, WV

#14 Sunday Sep 14
Florida Sunshine wrote:
O my goodness. Maybe we can get a babysitting job and find a husband if UC goes down.
<quoted text>
With my poor reputation and my drinking problem, no one would trust me with their kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the real name of the snitch 11 min Funny 6
Sarah Plants the original dirty girl 44 min Question 6
Look out drunk drives the snitch is here 1 hr Snitch 96
Vape shops! 3 hr VVV 11
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 4 hr Dalai Lama 58,337
GIRLS, witch is more attractice? 5 hr Mandy 21
peanut 6 hr lol 2
•••
•••
Charleston Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Charleston Jobs

•••
•••
•••