Vets can't find homes despite rent gu...

Vets can't find homes despite rent guarantees

There are 17 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from May 23, 2010, titled Vets can't find homes despite rent guarantees. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

Mike Jarrett and Tammy Pullen hope to find a permanent home for themselves and 3-year-old son with the help of a HUD-VASH voucher.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

Mike 1956

Charleston, WV

#1 May 24, 2010
I pray that our Vets and their families find good homes. I am by no means rich but if it were possible I would build low income homes for my not forgotton Vets on land that would at least be able to have ten homes on it. Not much help to our vets I know but maybe one day I'll be able to help not only our Vets but elderly also.
Prayer works !
Dewey Baker

United States

#2 May 24, 2010
It's a good thought and I would like to have money and help. Our vets are why we are America. The down side is this and I am not being inconsiderate of the veterans but there are some harsh realities.

Many vets have mental issues. It's hard for a landlord to rent to some of these people and retain their other tenants. We have a veteran in my neighborhood and he creates a lot of problems because the VA and his family does a poor job supervising him. He takes his clothes off in public, urinates on the sidewalk, threatens people, the police are constantly at his residence. Not all vets behave this way but there are underlying issues to address before trying to integrate them into a neighborhood.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3 May 25, 2010
It is a national disgrace the way a lot of vets are treated in this country...The politicians all pay lip service to taking care of veterans, but in many cases it is just hot air......Especially, (in my opinion) concerning mental problems and PTSD....AS a group, vets are the ones we should take care of first and best, not last and least.
Andre Linoge

Beckley, WV

#4 May 28, 2010
Some vets just want a free handout. There are reasons these vets are homeless. In many cases their own families don't want them due to their violence, drug and alcohol abuse. They reap what they sow.
If they enlist, how can they argue for a check for PTSD? They KNEW what they were getting into. Yet, they want the free check. And they will lie and fabricate symptoms to get it. You know it, and I know it.

Overall, the veterans get better health care than most other citizens of the US. Omitting those that were drafted: If you don't like it, don't join.

Location hidden

#5 May 28, 2010
Andre Linoge wrote:
Some vets just want a free handout. There are reasons these vets are homeless. In many cases their own families don't want them due to their violence, drug and alcohol abuse. They reap what they sow.
If they enlist, how can they argue for a check for PTSD? They KNEW what they were getting into. Yet, they want the free check. And they will lie and fabricate symptoms to get it. You know it, and I know it.
Overall, the veterans get better health care than most other citizens of the US. Omitting those that were drafted: If you don't like it, don't join.
One can always count on you to be totally clueless about certain matters...There is no such thing as a veteran getting a "free handout" A combat veteran especially, earns every dime this nation gives them, even from morons such as yourself....They reap what they sow?..That is the most dumbassed thing I have EVER heard on topix in two years of posting.....They are there to protect YOU so YOU can have the luxury of not serving...I wonder sometimes what is wrong with you?...Wake up and get your "H" out of your nether regions for once and put it back in the sand where it belongs.....Geeeezzzz
Before you start you usual rant, My father was drafted in WWII, I was drafted for Vietnam, and my son JOINED and fought in Iraq....I have never used the VA, my father didn't, but my son does....We can give millions to the unemployed, illegals, and everyone else, but when it comes to those who cover your "A" everyday, you've got a problem with it?...Grow up youngin.
outlaw

United States

#6 May 28, 2010
so ever one thinks they know what is going on with the vets well here is what i know you was in vietnam or iraq where ever they was in iraq you get up at 2 am and load your shit up and get your ride and away you go down the msr to south bagdad where you get ied one in ground and then here come a vbed so you take him out with your 50 cal hell of a bang the ground shakes and then you here from your sarg we got to go get some bad guys they are in a house downtown so you roll on that you find it you kick down a door and your buddy get hit and then you take out the 3 bad guys one is only about 14 but he shot your buddy so you say very good i got them happy as hell then you call the choper and take him out to the field hospital they are good ones they are the best on the way in you get hit again now you are back and in time for chow so after that you sit around and talk about what a time you had now all at once it is over you are on your way home and when you get here who do you talk to then your friends who never was there that know nothing or your wife or girl friend they say i don.t want to hear this so what then no one to talk to that know what you know they just say to hell with it and get drunk or drugs they don.t half to but that the easy way out the hard way is leting what happen out side of the wire stay out side of the wire i know they don.t want to come home if they had their way they would go back but you are here so get your shit together and live like you half to no drugs no drink you did it there now do it here i know i was there..
EaZyRider

United States

#7 May 29, 2010
Andre Linoge wrote:
Talk about clueless. I am a Vietnam vet. While I was fortunate in that by working at nights, and getting the GI Bill, I was able to get an education, it was still pretty hard with a couple of kids and a wife to care for. So in that regard, I will be forever grateful to the VA. It did allow me to get a decent job after graduation from WV Tech. However, the VA medical treatment I receive in Kanawha City is a joke. I have a foreign female doc who apparently could care less about my illnesses. PTSD treatment involved a 20 page questionaire followed by a couple of group meetings that if anything, made me even worse. I was treated well at the VA hospital in Huntington. However, I am very distressed by the Charleston VA medical facilities. The staff and nurses seem to be nice and caring, but I wouldnt take my dog to the doctor that had multiple meaningless blood tests done over and over and over to no avail. I now pay for medical care out of pocket with a primary doctor, who at least pretends to care about my well being. I know many, many Vietnam vets, and I know of only ONE that I would accuse of taking advantage of the system, and they drive from Charleston to Beckley. The rest of my friends feel pretty much the same as I do about the Charleston clinic.

Andre, after you risk your life over and over, and have a couple of holes in your body courtesy of defending this great nation, then maybe you will have some credibility on this issue, otherwise all would be best served in your discussing something you actually know about.

Location hidden

#8 May 29, 2010
EaZyRider wrote:
<quoted text>Talk about clueless. I am a Vietnam vet. While I was fortunate in that by working at nights, and getting the GI Bill, I was able to get an education, it was still pretty hard with a couple of kids and a wife to care for. So in that regard, I will be forever grateful to the VA. It did allow me to get a decent job after graduation from WV Tech. However, the VA medical treatment I receive in Kanawha City is a joke. I have a foreign female doc who apparently could care less about my illnesses. PTSD treatment involved a 20 page questionaire followed by a couple of group meetings that if anything, made me even worse. I was treated well at the VA hospital in Huntington. However, I am very distressed by the Charleston VA medical facilities. The staff and nurses seem to be nice and caring, but I wouldnt take my dog to the doctor that had multiple meaningless blood tests done over and over and over to no avail. I now pay for medical care out of pocket with a primary doctor, who at least pretends to care about my well being. I know many, many Vietnam vets, and I know of only ONE that I would accuse of taking advantage of the system, and they drive from Charleston to Beckley. The rest of my friends feel pretty much the same as I do about the Charleston clinic.
Andre, after you risk your life over and over, and have a couple of holes in your body courtesy of defending this great nation, then maybe you will have some credibility on this issue, otherwise all would be best served in your discussing something you actually know about.
Well said my brother..Have a great memorial day:)
Devil Dog

Philo, OH

#9 May 29, 2010
Andre Linoge wrote:
You’re a piss poor excuse for a human. I once ran into someone like you when I was undergoing physical therapy through private practice out of my own pocket. Truth is, Vets get shity medical attention compared to private care. The sad thing is, every enlisted and officer in the armed services works for them, instead of some welfare recipient mooching off of tax payers. I was actually pushed out, with out receiving medical treatment, I paid out of pocket and hired a vet rep to fight for my rights and compensation.

The actual truth is that if someone is selfless enough to enlist, selfless enough to leave his family behind when needed, and selfless enough to fight, or even die, do you really think he/she is going to bitch like a polished silver spoon candy ass like you when they don’t get what they want.

Further more, if any one in America has the right to beg for handouts, it’s disabled vets. I’d love to hear your opinion on that. I was in charge of a million dollars worth of military equipment, entrusted to upkeep the peace in a hostile land, and ensure that my immediate subordinates did as directed, and made it home alive at their end of their tour. I got shot in the knee and chest, and got a pitiful severance package that just barley paid for my ride back home. And your welcome!
Devil Dog

Philo, OH

#10 May 29, 2010
God bless those who serves, served, and those who fought a good fight. Semper Fi.
Fair is Fair

United States

#11 May 29, 2010
President Obama is BOYCOTTING Ceremonies at Arlington Cemetery this Memorial Day, he planned his vacation,it was more important, Some of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for America. this astonishing slap in the face to generations of War Dead was to be expected.THE MOST UNAMERICAN PERSON.
EaZyRider

United States

#12 May 29, 2010
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>Well said my brother..Have a great memorial day:)
Thank you as well my brother. Thank you for your service and understanding. I hope your memorial day is a great one as possible.
EaZyRider

United States

#13 May 29, 2010
Devil Dog wrote:
God bless those who serves, served, and those who fought a good fight. Semper Fi.
Thank you so much for your service. Although I was Army, I always had the greatest of respect for all servicemen, and especially for our Marines. Sorry for the problems you have had. I truly understand.
EaZyRider

United States

#14 May 29, 2010
Fair is Fair wrote:
President Obama is BOYCOTTING Ceremonies at Arlington Cemetery this Memorial Day, he planned his vacation,it was more important, Some of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for America. this astonishing slap in the face to generations of War Dead was to be expected.THE MOST UNAMERICAN PERSON.
I admit that I am somewhat disappointed by the President sending the VP to Arlington in his place. I think that in these difficult times, the President should go to one of the most sacred of American icons. However, it is a little disingenuous to say he is boycotting Arlington in favor of taking a vacation. He will be taking a second trip to the gulf to reexamine the horror of the BP oil spill,

http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog/2010/...

and additionally, according to Fox News will honor our fallen heroes at the Abraham Lincoln Cemetery south of Chicago on Memorial Day.

http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog/2010/...

The fact that Presidents Reagan, Bush the Elder, and Bush the Younger also missed the Arlington ceremony belies the mistaken right-wing pundits who took to the airwaves, proclaiming that Obama was the first President to forgo the honoring of our fallen heroes at Arlington.

However, that fact, and the fact that Obama is indeed going to pay homage to those who made the ultimate sacrifice by visiting the Illinois cemetery, that still does not completely let the President off the hook in my mind. I personally would still much prefer that he follow tradition, and go to Arlington.(I have an uncle buried there who was killed on D-Day in WWII). I think it is a terrible mistake in judgment on his part, and he should go to the gulf later in the week. Especially considering we just passed the 1000 number of those killed in Afghanistan.

God bless this great nation, and all of our vets, and the families of those who made those sacrifices that help keep this nation free. God bless America.
Fair is Fair

United States

#15 May 30, 2010
when are people going to see obama for what he is. he is not for america.
EaZyRider

United States

#16 May 30, 2010
Fair is Fair wrote:
when are people going to see obama for what he is. he is not for america.
Make a cogent argument. Cite reputable references that support your viewpoint (and while both CNN and Fox News both pretend being fair and balanced, we all know that while there is always some grain in truth what they say, it is really hard to take everything they say to heart).

Provide something remotely legitimate to support an argument that Obama is NOT for America.

I do NOT mean disagreeing with the increases of the national debt, or the economic stimulus policy, or the continuation of the wrongheaded war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I mean I disagree with many things that President Obama have done. I realize that it is pretty much ineffectual, but every time I have an opinion - one way or the other- about Obama policies, I email the White House directly, and express my opinion.(Actually for what its worth, I almost always followup with emails to Byrd, Rockefeller and Rahall- my Congressional representatives.

Point is, that if you have strong feelings about something, right or wrong, good or bad, then you need to vocalize those viewpoints in whatever forums suit you best. Topix is one forum. The Charleston papers are another. The WaPo and NYT both offer reader comments. And of course, write, email and/or call our elected representatives. We live in a representative democracy.

You of course are entitled to your opinion, as we all ours. I only ask you to provide substantial evidence that Obama is NOT for America. Again, I personally disagree with many of his policies, but I have zero doubt that he wishes the best for this nation.

If you have some type of proof otherwise, please post it, to help educate us all about something we do not know about. I for one would be willing to look it over, and offer my viewpoint about it. Whether it be something legitimate looking, or a piece of drivel from someone on the right, who would never agree with an Obama decision , regardless as to what it was, would help me ascertain the veracity of the document.

Tell me Fair is Fair. Just curious. Are you a birther? IE one who subscribes to the theory that Obama was really born in Africa and therefore illegitimate to be a US President? A big Muslim conspiracy that began back in Hawaii, in 1961, that the great conspiracy had already begun, when the birth notice was placed in the local newspaper? To place a Muslim jihad in the White House to ensure the death and destruction of America and the rest of the free world?

Just asking, as trying to ascertain how serious to take you, or whether this is all just a big joke to you.

If serious, and you honestly believe Obama is anti- American- then as asked earlier, please provide some empirical data. Something that can be looked at, and judged fairly. A serious discussion.

Again, White House mistakes have been made by every President since George Washington. As Charles Krauthammer noted in a WaPo article several days ago, being President does not automatically convey a superman's cape on them.

For what reason do you suggest that Obama is against America?
what

Point Pleasant, WV

#17 Dec 6, 2012
Andre Linoge wrote:

You have no clue what the heck your talking about!!! My husband and dad served in Viet nam .. You moron. These men and women keep us free .. What do you do? Not all are on drugs .. But you must be ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Live On the Levee 1 hr Honestly 1
How do you get a topix deleted? 2 hr Honestly 13
Where is the Justice? Hard to let it go! 8 hr burgerbob 32
Divorced dating 9 hr Honeysuckle 27
Most beautiful news lady 12 hr Honestly 22
Is The HCA of WV Doing Its Job? (Dec '15) 14 hr Politics 68
News Drug Addiction Epidemic Town Hall Meeting set f... 14 hr Politics 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charleston Mortgages