created by: Timmy_ | Nov 12, 2011

Charleston, WV

167 votes

Do people from west virginia consider themselves yankees or southerners?

Click on an option to vote

• Yankee
  • Southerner

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
stonewall jackson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2011

Rebels baby
SusieQ

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

We are BELOW the Mason-Dixon line...we are Southerners!!:)
justcurious

Astoria, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

I think most consider themselves southerners. But when West Virginia became a state in 1863 we continued to be part of the union not until later did West Virginia secede from the union. So I guess in all reality it a matter of opinion.
WV History

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

What year did WV secede from the union?
justcurious

Astoria, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

WV History wrote:
What year did WV secede from the union?
Well I'm no history buff but from what I can find. Virginia seceded from the union and when that happened West Virginia seceded from Virginia but never from the union. West Virginia as far as I can tell never actually seceded from the union but we are considered a " border state". But like I said I could be wrong. I googles it from my phone while putting my baby to sleep. Lol
WV History

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

No I think that's right. Your 1st post said WV seceded from the union, I don't think that's correct.
justcurious

Astoria, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2011

WV History wrote:
No I think that's right. Your 1st post said WV seceded from the union, I don't think that's correct.
Yeah think I just misunderstood

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2011

Judged:

So far 50/50 lets get some votes.
justcurious

Astoria, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2011

Timmy_ wrote:
So far 50/50 lets get some votes.
I didn't state my opinion either way I was stating facts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2011

Judged:

So far 60 percent yankees.
WV Proud

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2011

100% Rebels. Only Stonewall Jackson and Susie Q actually voted and they both voted Southern.
Ridge Runner

Milton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2011

I think of myself as a Southerner but not a rebel. It was the eastern Virginia counties who rebeled and fought for the South. The western counties which eventually became the State of West Virginia remained in the Union.
Jackie

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2011

If you not happy being an "AMERICAN" Then I feel sorry for you people in WEST VIRGINIA! Who gives a shit if you're a Northerner or a Southerner? I sure don't.
justcurious

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2011

Jackie wrote:
If you not happy being an "AMERICAN" Then I feel sorry for you people in WEST VIRGINIA! Who gives a shit if you're a Northerner or a Southerner? I sure don't.
Then good thing we didn't ask if you did isn't it? Besides who said anything about us not being happy being Americans?
WVProud

Mount Hope, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2011

Jackie wrote:
Just like no one from WV gives a $hit what you think!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2011

Judged:

Anybodys folks for the south?
Crazy Legs

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2011

Judged:

Let's get this straight: Two thirds of people living in what would become West Virginia were southern sympathizers. These people were mostly in central abn southern "WV". However, the people with the most political power at the time were up north in Wheeling and those areas. Hell, that's Pennsylvania territory. They were willing to make a deal: Make WV a state out of Virginia, and we'll fight for the Union in return. That's how much they despised being overlooked by Virginia, and how desperate they'd become to succeed from them. So even though the vast majority of the people here wanted nothing to do with the Union, they got it never the less. Fact is, that most ALL the former Confederate states are doing well now, while the Union states are falling to pieces. WV has been dead last in anything good for 50 years now, and if I had my way, I'd sue the federal government to make Virginia take us back. Virginia is doing great, while we're at the bottom. WV was the only state to become a state by purely illegal means to start with. The ONLY state.

Since: Sep 11

Crownhill

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2011

I was born in crown hill wv and consider myself a southern rebel
Duh

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2011

Judged:

People from West Virginia are southern wannabes. We are not southerners. Period, I don't care where the Mason Dixon line in.

Truth be told, we are geographical half breeds and the only counties in this state that can claim any real southern roots are Monroe, Greenbrier and Mercer Counties.

The rest of the state is just a mix of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

I personally do not identify myself as a southerner even though my mother's family were Virginia plantation owners who lost everything in the war. My dad's family fought for the union and they are the ones I am proud of. They protected this country from treasonous racists.

The people in this state are mostly a bunch of crackers who think talking like a stupid hick makes them southerners.

Sorry, it doesn't.

Since: Sep 11

Crownhill

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2011

Judged:

I do not talk like a hick but like I said I consider myself a rebel so maybe it a mind set I dont know but I am a southern rebel coalminers daughter

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Charleston Forum right now

Search the Charleston Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
lesbian skype (Mar '13) 1 hr nikoleta 148
Three Charleston Restaurants Enforcing Bottled ... 1 hr Thirsty 3
Carroll Terrace Apartments (Nov '13) 3 hr joe 149
Gearry Bailey 4 hr Stung 1
What happened to chase carter 4 hr Dank 49
Bunny/Bobby 5 hr TO KNOW THE TRUTH 22
Bunny Harper 6 hr Putnam Johnny 8
•••
•••