OMEGA: Gas prices not retailers' fault

May 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Register-herald.com

Don't blame the retailer when you wheel into the lot of a convenience store and see a sign advertising gas prices at the $4 mark.

Comments
21 - 38 of 38 Comments Last updated Sep 1, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
late bloomer

Tarboro, NC

#21 May 14, 2011
I read that the citizens of Prince County MD formed a coalition. This coalition sent one person to talk to a gas station chain about giving a discount to this coalition in return for boycotting this gas chain's competitors. The owner of the gas station chain agreed. The cost of gas in this area dropped. This may put some gas stations out of business as stated in this article. It seems to be legal. No one can demand where i buy my gas; I can join a coalition if I want to. Sounds interesting; I would join a coalition in this area and buy my gas wherever the coalition agreed to. Maybe doing something like this in many parts of the country would send a message to whoever is responsible for these prices. I'm sure I would at least feel like I'm doing something constructive to let all these people know that I will not lay down and take whatever they have to dish out as far as gas prices are concerned.
MeOMyO

Danville, WV

#22 May 14, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
<quoted text>I dont know your situation ie children or a spouse that may require your presence in the home everyday-but before you gripe about a daily commute to charleston and the expense let me share something with you.If your mother was admitted to any CMAC facility they have an understanding with several area hotels to provide you a room free or at a very reduced rate.So if you presence at your mothers bedside is required or something you feel you must do maybe staying in Charleston would not only spare you the expense but also make sure you are nearby when not at her bedside.Just a possible suggestion that may ease your problem.
I'm not griping! I am simply stating a fact about what a hardhip the high price of gasoline takes on people who have a medical issues, whether it be a patient or their family. First and foremost, the whole hospital knew that I was there every day and never one time mentioned to me about staying or finding a room for me. I care enough about my family to tend to my Mother's needs in the hospital in Charleston, plus my husband and child's needs at home. I'm talking about a 225 mile commute daily. I care about my family and will do anything for them and I will do it all over again if need be. So never let it be said that I was griping about taking care of them. I will simply restate what I said, I feel sorry for people with medical issues that live in a rural area such as us and everyone else who have to travel for miles to get medical attention, doctor's appts. or hospitalization. Some folks don't have the money to pay for this crazy, outrageous gasoline to travel for medical attention, to work, or for any other reason that necessary trips are made using this liquid gold called gasoline! And, if anyone takes up for these oil barons, or government officials who are putting all of us in this kind of hardship because of their greed, they are NUTS!!
late bloomer

Tarboro, NC

#23 May 14, 2011
MeOMyO wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not griping! I am simply stating a fact about what a hardhip the high price of gasoline takes on people who have a medical issues, whether it be a patient or their family. First and foremost, the whole hospital knew that I was there every day and never one time mentioned to me about staying or finding a room for me. I care enough about my family to tend to my Mother's needs in the hospital in Charleston, plus my husband and child's needs at home. I'm talking about a 225 mile commute daily. I care about my family and will do anything for them and I will do it all over again if need be. So never let it be said that I was griping about taking care of them. I will simply restate what I said, I feel sorry for people with medical issues that live in a rural area such as us and everyone else who have to travel for miles to get medical attention, doctor's appts. or hospitalization. Some folks don't have the money to pay for this crazy, outrageous gasoline to travel for medical attention, to work, or for any other reason that necessary trips are made using this liquid gold called gasoline! And, if anyone takes up for these oil barTons, or government officials who are putting all of us in this kind of hardship because of their greed, they are NUTS!!
I put about 50 miles a day going to and from work and my car gets 28 mpg. We are feeling this in our pocketbook. I don't know how people who are living in the rural areas that have trucks, SUVs, etc., and have to travel many miles to shop,go to work, go to the doctor, in your case Charleston every day, are going to keep making it if these lousy prices don't go down. The middle class is going to be bankrupt. The recession will never end.
Skeptical

Princeton, WV

#24 May 15, 2011
I drive 55 miles to work and 55 miles back every day. It's no wonder why so many people are on welfare. With all the wear and tear on the car, plus the gas, it's a little tough to manage.
Heard Enough

Fayetteville, WV

#25 May 16, 2011
I was back in Va.Yesterday Paid $3.68 A gallon at Doran.Why does Wv.Have so much more of a fuel tax that they cant match these prices?
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#26 May 18, 2011
A vote on the House floor last night to repeal the $2.1 billion per year in subsidies for the worlds top 5 oil companies was defeated by an overwhelming Republican vote against such a measure.It seems if you can appreciate the rectal exam being given to us by Exxon and cohorts then by all means vote GOP whenever possible.If this doesnt prove the GOPs support of these energy companies nothing ever will.On a good note the wholesale price dipped to $2.86/gal on the stock market this week however it has risen back to $2.95 today,thats a 41-50 cent drop per gallon for the traders .As consumers and if the prices stablilize at these levels we should see a dramatic drop in pump prices in the next 2-3 weeks-dont hold your breathe because as demand increases so will the pump price.Its says a lot when $3.60 gal would be a welcome site.
Reality

Charleston, WV

#27 May 18, 2011
my 2 cents wrote:
The problem lies with senators and congressmen that get kickbacks and other compensation in return for looking the other way and not investigating price fixing by the oil companies and their constituents. It's the same exact problem with AEP and the other power companies hiking the price of power. They're in bed with the coal companies and have little reason to move away because they're raking in money hand over fist, which in turn equals profit for coal. Power would be much cheaper and cleaner and easier to produce via alternative sources.
Wrong. Gas is a commodity like any commodity and it relies on supply and demand which then in turn guides futures traders to speculate on what it will be worth at a certain time under certain circumstances. They then buy futures contracts hoping the price will go up. It's speculating at its finest and is no different than rolling the dice on Wall Street or in Vegas.

It's called captitalism and if you don't like the price of gas, start walking and that will lower demand and the price if enough people quit expecting to be able to hop in their cars and keep the roads hot.

It's the people who use the most (waste the most) that biyach the loudest.
Reality

Charleston, WV

#28 May 18, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
A vote on the House floor last night to repeal the $2.1 billion per year in subsidies for the worlds top 5 oil companies was defeated by an overwhelming Republican vote against such a measure.It seems if you can appreciate the rectal exam being given to us by Exxon and cohorts then by all means vote GOP whenever possible.If this doesnt prove the GOPs support of these energy companies nothing ever will.On a good note the wholesale price dipped to $2.86/gal on the stock market this week however it has risen back to $2.95 today,thats a 41-50 cent drop per gallon for the traders .As consumers and if the prices stablilize at these levels we should see a dramatic drop in pump prices in the next 2-3 weeks-dont hold your breathe because as demand increases so will the pump price.Its says a lot when $3.60 gal would be a welcome site.
We have only ourselves to blame. It's not the responsibility nor withing the power, of politicians to set the price of oil. It's a commodity and we live in a capitalist society.

Boycott gas. That's the way to get the price down. If speculators think a boycott is brewing, they will bid down the prices of futures contracts and the price will go down.

People in this country refuse to take responsibility for themselves. It's you and me putting that money in the pockets of the oil companies.
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#29 May 18, 2011
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
We have only ourselves to blame. It's not the responsibility nor withing the power, of politicians to set the price of oil. It's a commodity and we live in a capitalist society.
Boycott gas. That's the way to get the price down. If speculators think a boycott is brewing, they will bid down the prices of futures contracts and the price will go down.
People in this country refuse to take responsibility for themselves. It's you and me putting that money in the pockets of the oil companies.
DUH? You have repeated exactly what Ive said a dozen times or have you failed to read what i wrote.Wall st is the driving force in current prices -consumption has been down a more & more over the past 4 weeks yet prices soared and as they slowly decline the barons of commodity speculation will again drive up the price.Speculation is currently costin us 75-80 cents /gal. this was even noted on FNS of all places.As for this being capitalism that is ridiculous-capitalism wasnt designed to be a fuck your buddy [customer] exercise.I have investments but I will not put a dime into oil/gas stocks.Giving the hedge fund managers my money is doing exactlly the opposite of my goal-energy at an affordable rate-that cant be acheived if you fund thier misdoings.As for a boycott Americans will never give up thier life of excess until there is no other choice.America [5% of the worlds population ] uses 22% of the worlds available oil.I have not bought Exxon products since 2008 and with almost complete certainy I never will again.One means of cutting demand that would almost end OPEC imports-convert all oil fired power plants to coal nuclear or natural gas[if cleaner means of obtaning and burning is put into action.] You are right about one point if you drive a 10 mile per gal vehicle and ride around without reason or purpose then quit bitching .
Reality

Charleston, WV

#30 May 18, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
<quoted text>DUH? You have repeated exactly what Ive said a dozen times or have you failed to read what i wrote.Wall st is the driving force in current prices -consumption has been down a more & more over the past 4 weeks yet prices soared and as they slowly decline the barons of commodity speculation will again drive up the price.Speculation is currently costin us 75-80 cents /gal. this was even noted on FNS of all places.As for this being capitalism that is ridiculous-capitalism wasnt designed to be a fuck your buddy [customer] exercise.I have investments but I will not put a dime into oil/gas stocks.Giving the hedge fund managers my money is doing exactlly the opposite of my goal-energy at an affordable rate-that cant be acheived if you fund thier misdoings.As for a boycott Americans will never give up thier life of excess until there is no other choice.America [5% of the worlds population ] uses 22% of the worlds available oil.I have not bought Exxon products since 2008 and with almost complete certainy I never will again.One means of cutting demand that would almost end OPEC imports-convert all oil fired power plants to coal nuclear or natural gas[if cleaner means of obtaning and burning is put into action.] You are right about one point if you drive a 10 mile per gal vehicle and ride around without reason or purpose then quit bitching .
Liberal is right - limousine liberal.

It doesn't matter whether you buy Exxon or Bp, they are all scum. Just what do you accomplish in boycotting Exxon?

As far as the stock market goes, you are no better than any speculator if you have ANY money in the stock market. The stock market is bullshit and it's a way for rich people to get richer off of fools like you. And since you are a liberal, how is it that your buddy Obama flooded the streets of Wall Street with bail out funds to line the pockets of the very people who caused this mess? Now congress is looking to cut Pell grants to decrease the budget deficit to pay back the money we sent to Wall Street (and the Hamptons and the Upper East Side, etc.)

The day one program to help educate disadvantaged youth, or to feed children or to care for the sick and elderly is cut because our tax money went to enrich some Wall Street scum is the day that the guillotine needs to be set up in front of New York Stock Exchange.

You are such a hypocrite and phoney.

Now go check your portfolio and see how your funding of corporate America is treating you. Maybe you can hop on a plane full of non-Exxon gasoline and go relax in the sun and rest your weary head.
1 post removed
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#32 May 18, 2011
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberal is right - limousine liberal.
It doesn't matter whether you buy Exxon or Bp, they are all scum. Just what do you accomplish in boycotting Exxon?
As far as the stock market goes, you are no better than any speculator if you have ANY money in the stock market. The stock market is bullshit and it's a way for rich people to get richer off of fools like you. And since you are a liberal, how is it that your buddy Obama flooded the streets of Wall Street with bail out funds to line the pockets of the very people who caused this mess? Now congress is looking to cut Pell grants to decrease the budget deficit to pay back the money we sent to Wall Street (and the Hamptons and the Upper East Side, etc.)
The day one program to help educate disadvantaged youth, or to feed children or to care for the sick and elderly is cut because our tax money went to enrich some Wall Street scum is the day that the guillotine needs to be set up in front of New York Stock Exchange.
You are such a hypocrite and phoney.
Now go check your portfolio and see how your funding of corporate America is treating you. Maybe you can hop on a plane full of non-Exxon gasoline and go relax in the sun and rest your weary head.
PS for the self rightous asshole-if you have any type of retirement plan ie pension 401k money market acct etc etc you are invested in the stock market.If you dont have any such retirement plan you will be scraping by on Social security while I live a lavish comfortable retiremnet with plenty left over after Im gone so my kids and grandkids can appreciate a better way of life.You have now been placed on MY TROLL LIST meaning you arent worth the time to respond to again.
Reality Therapy

Charleston, WV

#33 May 18, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
<quoted text>PS for the self rightous asshole-if you have any type of retirement plan ie pension 401k money market acct etc etc you are invested in the stock market.If you dont have any such retirement plan you will be scraping by on Social security while I live a lavish comfortable retiremnet with plenty left over after Im gone so my kids and grandkids can appreciate a better way of life.You have now been placed on MY TROLL LIST meaning you arent worth the time to respond to again.
Well, well, well. Somebody hit a nerve.

Yes, I have a retirement plan but I have no say it where it goes. They just take it every month. But I have no money purposefully in the stock market. Nor is my goal in life to live in "lavish comfort". I just want to be able to live. I also have plenty to leave my children but that's because I live very modestly and simply.

As far as my children and grandchildren (none yet) living a better way of life, I expect they will be able to do that themselves since they are highly educated - far more than me and already make more than I.

Yours sound quite dooless and if you live lavishly, there might not be anything left for them and they will starve if you don't leave them your vast corporate enriched estate.

You are simply a silly, materialistic, person who talks out of both sides of her mouth. I was a long time liberal activists and it was people like you who turned me into a dyed in the wool independent who has no use for hypocrites and limousine liberals.

I simply try to live as responsibly as possible but the American way of life makes it impossible not to live at the expense of great suffering to both our fellow humans, the environment and the animals. But I try to minimize that impact which involves not living a "lavish" lifestyle.

At least I am aware of that. People like you, simply are not.

2 posts removed
Reality Therapy

Charleston, WV

#36 May 20, 2011
P.S. Limousine liberal is just a saying. It has nothing to do with actually driving a limo. It has to do with hypocrisy.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. So very sad. A harley driving, environment raping, deer hunting, four wheeling, liberal.

Now I've heard it all.

Do you know who it was who shot that Eagle down at Bluestone?

Hahahahahahahahaha!
Heard Enough

Fayetteville, WV

#37 May 27, 2011
Gass was 29 cents cheaper in Tazewell Va.This morning than in Beckley.
Truthfully

Logan, WV

#38 May 27, 2011
This is like the rich Republicans trying to cut Medicare out.

Of course they are going to say it isn't their fault because they stand to benefit from it.
Dont Believe It

United States

#39 May 27, 2011
The problem is with OMEGA, aka The Gas Mafia.They control the prices.If not, how come ,as an example, at 2:00 on Thursday, all the gas station in WV go to exactly the same price.That used to be price fixing.
Charleston Resident

Alexandria, VA

#40 Sep 1, 2013
Bull on this one! Bull !
Charleston Resident

Alexandria, VA

#41 Sep 1, 2013
Bull! Bull on this one! Gas is gonna up again in a few years. Scary! It's ten cents up now because of labor day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 33 min Billy 57,031
drugs in the valley 1 hr spanky29 5
Sister and Brother Intimacy 1 hr Sickening and wrong 4
The Empty Glass 2 hr Tevin12 65
snapchat 2 hr universyourself 1
TinaD 2 hr james 1
Coldspot owner on TV BEGGING for money! 3 hr Iceman 16
•••
•••
•••

Charleston Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000