OMEGA: Gas prices not retailers' fault

May 12, 2011 Full story: Register-herald.com 38

Don't blame the retailer when you wheel into the lot of a convenience store and see a sign advertising gas prices at the $4 mark.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anonymous

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 May 12, 2011
Bullcrap! They sell the overpriced stuff! Then the state tacks on over .50 of taxes that are supposed to be for fixing our roads but the only place I ever see paving is the federally funded highways!
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#2 May 12, 2011
I know 2 people on the retail end of the gas market.Both tell me they make between 2.5 -3 cents per gallon on gas and slightly more on diesel and kerosene.When Exxon Mobile pulls a barrel[40 gal] of oil out of the ground for $18 places it on the world market and it sells for 5-6x that and at times 7x the cost of production-Who is robbing us? Big oil and Wall St speculators thats who.I saw a report yesterday on the news FOX news of all places the anylist stated that 75-80 cents/gal of current pump prices can be attributed directly to Wall St .The answer to this and the reason dramatic drops are taking place on the market for petrolium is supply-if everyone cut consumption the prices will decline.The cuurent price this morning was less than $96/bar down from almost $130/bar 2 weeks ago.Refined gas down to $3/gal wholesale compared to $3.36 gal on monday.If you choose to waste it expect to pay more and quit whining its your own fault-dont expect big oil to give it away for free.
Anonymous

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 May 12, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
I know 2 people on the retail end of the gas market.Both tell me they make between 2.5 -3 cents per gallon on gas and slightly more on diesel and kerosene.When Exxon Mobile pulls a barrel[40 gal] of oil out of the ground for $18 places it on the world market and it sells for 5-6x that and at times 7x the cost of production-Who is robbing us? Big oil and Wall St speculators thats who.I saw a report yesterday on the news FOX news of all places the anylist stated that 75-80 cents/gal of current pump prices can be attributed directly to Wall St .The answer to this and the reason dramatic drops are taking place on the market for petrolium is supply-if everyone cut consumption the prices will decline.The cuurent price this morning was less than $96/bar down from almost $130/bar 2 weeks ago.Refined gas down to $3/gal wholesale compared to $3.36 gal on monday.If you choose to waste it expect to pay more and quit whining its your own fault-dont expect big oil to give it away for free.
Yes, true. All we need is a good oil boycott. But anyone who would sell overpriced goods is doing poor business, even if it's a commodity like gasoline.
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#4 May 12, 2011
GLOCKUSA wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, true. All we need is a good oil boycott. But anyone who would sell overpriced goods is doing poor business, even if it's a commodity like gasoline.
The real profits of a gas vendor is the $2.50 that can of coke and bag of chips cost.Ross [exxon station owner] says 98% of his profits comes from the shelves not the pumps.As for an oil embargo unfortunately will never happen .America is a nation of glutney and excess.You would have a better chance of taking their guns than parking their cars.Avoiding the big producers if possible and moderation of use is the answer.BTW Ross is my freind but I wont buy his gas because he flies that Exxon sign .
INFO

Palm Bay, FL

#5 May 12, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
<quoted text>The real profits of a gas vendor is the $2.50 that can of coke and bag of chips cost.Ross [exxon station owner] says 98% of his profits comes from the shelves not the pumps.As for an oil embargo unfortunately will never happen .America is a nation of glutney and excess.You would have a better chance of taking their guns than parking their cars.Avoiding the big producers if possible and moderation of use is the answer.BTW Ross is my freind but I wont buy his gas because he flies that Exxon sign .
Good Post, just wondering about your comment on the Exxon flag?
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#6 May 12, 2011
INFO wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Post, just wondering about your comment on the Exxon flag?
As an Exxon dealer I know where my money will end up without question.Exxon with profits of $40billion annually while we try to figuire out where the next $100 to fill our tanks is coming from is the leader of the people that laugh as I tear Ben Franklin a new one just to get to work.When gas first went to $3/gal I quit buying Exxon -just my own personal stance against the situation.I said at the time when gas dropped below $2/gal Id consider purchasing Exxon fuel again.Now if it was $1 /gal Id push my vehicle past an Exxon station to get to a different brand.Hope that clarifies my statement.
obama the dunce

Oak Hill, WV

#7 May 12, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
<quoted text>As an Exxon dealer I know where my money will end up without question.Exxon with profits of $40billion annually while we try to figuire out where the next $100 to fill our tanks is coming from is the leader of the people that laugh as I tear Ben Franklin a new one just to get to work.When gas first went to $3/gal I quit buying Exxon -just my own personal stance against the situation.I said at the time when gas dropped below $2/gal Id consider purchasing Exxon fuel again.Now if it was $1 /gal Id push my vehicle past an Exxon station to get to a different brand.Hope that clarifies my statement.
WTF is your problem with EXXon man? Your liberal hero Jay Rockefellar owns most of the company so you should buy all you gas from there.

Afterall you vote for the dunce.
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#8 May 13, 2011
obama the dunce wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF is your problem with EXXon man? Your liberal hero Jay Rockefellar owns most of the company so you should buy all you gas from there.
Afterall you vote for the dunce.
Your screen name speaks more poorly of you than I ever could.On a sidenote Exxon is the Alpha and the other mutts follow their lead.I havent bought Exxon gas since 2008 and if they are the last remaining gas on this rock Ill convert all my engines to biodiesel or natural gas.
obama the dunce

Oak Hill, WV

#9 May 13, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
<quoted text>Your screen name speaks more poorly of you than I ever could.On a sidenote Exxon is the Alpha and the other mutts follow their lead.I havent bought Exxon gas since 2008 and if they are the last remaining gas on this rock Ill convert all my engines to biodiesel or natural gas.
Bud if you think that obama is anything but a dunce then you are no smarter than a box of rocks.
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#10 May 13, 2011
obama the dunce wrote:
<quoted text>
Bud if you think that obama is anything but a dunce then you are no smarter than a box of rocks.
Did your parents allow you to eat lead paint as a child?Call them or an older sibling and ask if your crib was under a window sill with cracking flakey paint.if so your stupidity isnt all your fault.However if you are still eating lead paint quit it before you are a complete retard.
pops

Tarboro, NC

#11 May 13, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
<quoted text>As an Exxon dealer I know where my money will end up without question.Exxon with profits of $40billion annually while we try to figuire out where the next $100 to fill our tanks is coming from is the leader of the people that laugh as I tear Ben Franklin a new one just to get to work.When gas first went to $3/gal I quit buying Exxon -just my own personal stance against the situation.I said at the time when gas dropped below $2/gal Id consider purchasing Exxon fuel again.Now if it was $1 /gal Id push my vehicle past an Exxon station to get to a different brand.Hope that clarifies my statement.
I agree I wont buy exxon either.Isnt 95% or more of their crude imported from other american hating countries?I say drill here and lower prices.
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#12 May 13, 2011
pops wrote:
<quoted text>I agree I wont buy exxon either.Isnt 95% or more of their crude imported from other american hating countries?I say drill here and lower prices.
Actually the majority of our imported oil comes from Canada and Mexico.OPEC supplies a much smaller percentage than most think.As for drilling most analyst agree if we tapped every known reserve in our soil or seas it would lower gas prices 3 cents at the pump and most available resources like Anwar wouldnt be at the pump for 10 yrs after the drilling started.Stopping Wall st speculation= 75-80 cents/gal at the pump.When 5% of the worlds population {USA} uses 22% of the fuel thats available to the world its our own greed / misuse that fails us.
Skeptical

New York, NY

#13 May 13, 2011
Gas was 3.69 in Roanoke, 3.77 in Covington, and 4.09 in Lewisburg today. Something is wrong with this picture. I think people in wv get paid less and probably drive further to work everyday. WV needs a break.
Heard Enough

Fayetteville, WV

#14 May 13, 2011
I paid $3.81 a gallon in Tazewell Va yesterday.It`s $4.09 At the Sunoco on Stanaford Rd.In Beckley Wv.Whats wrong with this picture?
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#15 May 13, 2011
Skeptical wrote:
Gas was 3.69 in Roanoke, 3.77 in Covington, and 4.09 in Lewisburg today. Something is wrong with this picture. I think people in wv get paid less and probably drive further to work everyday. WV needs a break.
I think Roanoke is along the pipeline serving the east coast-it originates in Houston Tx therefore that exp[lains the difference between there and Covington.The difference between Va and WVa is the state taxes-I think taxes are about 30cents higher here.The whole situation sucks while big oil makes such enormous profits and gets $441 mil in tax payer money as a tax rebate we pay the price
confused

United States

#16 May 13, 2011
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
<quoted text>I think Roanoke is along the pipeline serving the east coast-it originates in Houston Tx therefore that exp[lains the difference between there and Covington.The difference between Va and WVa is the state taxes-I think taxes are about 30cents higher here.The whole situation sucks while big oil makes such enormous profits and gets $441 mil in tax payer money as a tax rebate we pay the price
If you check you will find out the price difference is really 14.1 cents on the tax issue. So if the haul mileage is close to the same from Montvale ,Va there should never be more than 14.1 cent diff. in price
Skeptical

New York, NY

#17 May 14, 2011
Isn't wv supposed to be one of poorest states? We get paid less and probably have longer commutes due to the rural area and lack of jobs. Heck, they even tax me on my dogs every year. If anyone needs a break, it is wv.
MeOMyO

Madison, WV

#18 May 14, 2011
What is really sad is the commute that you have to make to the doctor if you live in the rural parts of WV. Some people have to go for treatments or tend to loved ones in the hospital and usually that is not a local thing. I know from experience when my Mother was in Charleston off and on for 3 months and that was during Nov, Dec & Jan. It was in the thousands mark for for an every day drive for all those months combined! Can you even imagine how much it would be now that it has topped $4.00?? Yes, and I had to trade my SUV off for a smaller one in case her illness reoccurred. Burns me up that the President can fly all over creation and ride around in a limo and all the politicians never have to worry about filling up their tanks and that we have to get rid of the vehicles that we like and need (4WD's in the bad snowy weather).
LIBERALTILDEATH

Ghent, WV

#19 May 14, 2011
MeOMyO wrote:
What is really sad is the commute that you have to make to the doctor if you live in the rural parts of WV. Some people have to go for treatments or tend to loved ones in the hospital and usually that is not a local thing. I know from experience when my Mother was in Charleston off and on for 3 months and that was during Nov, Dec & Jan. It was in the thousands mark for for an every day drive for all those months combined! Can you even imagine how much it would be now that it has topped $4.00?? Yes, and I had to trade my SUV off for a smaller one in case her illness reoccurred. Burns me up that the President can fly all over creation and ride around in a limo and all the politicians never have to worry about filling up their tanks and that we have to get rid of the vehicles that we like and need (4WD's in the bad snowy weather).
I dont know your situation ie children or a spouse that may require your presence in the home everyday-but before you gripe about a daily commute to charleston and the expense let me share something with you.If your mother was admitted to any CMAC facility they have an understanding with several area hotels to provide you a room free or at a very reduced rate.So if you presence at your mothers bedside is required or something you feel you must do maybe staying in Charleston would not only spare you the expense but also make sure you are nearby when not at her bedside.Just a possible suggestion that may ease your problem.
my 2 cents

Charleston, WV

#20 May 14, 2011
The problem lies with senators and congressmen that get kickbacks and other compensation in return for looking the other way and not investigating price fixing by the oil companies and their constituents. It's the same exact problem with AEP and the other power companies hiking the price of power. They're in bed with the coal companies and have little reason to move away because they're raking in money hand over fist, which in turn equals profit for coal. Power would be much cheaper and cleaner and easier to produce via alternative sources.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vape shops! 55 min VVV 11
the real name of the snitch 1 hr Not the snitch 3
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 2 hr Dalai Lama 58,337
Look out drunk drives the snitch is here 2 hr not the snitch 95
GIRLS, witch is more attractice? 3 hr Mandy 21
peanut 3 hr lol 2
white guy black girls ? 5 hr tay 6
•••
•••
•••

Charleston Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Charleston People Search