Womans body found in Elk River

Womans body found in Elk River

There are 27 comments on the Charleston Daily Mail story from Aug 28, 2011, titled Womans body found in Elk River. In it, Charleston Daily Mail reports that:

A pedestrian spotted Megan K. Harrison's body in the Elk River Saturday morning and called for help, Charleston police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Daily Mail.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cat Bird

Charleston, WV

#1 Aug 29, 2011
Does anyone know this poor girl?

Please, no trolls.

Since: Mar 11

Hansford, WV

#2 Aug 29, 2011
I went to school with Megan from 3rd grade till graduation. She was a sweet girl! The image of her that I have in my head is one of a great big smile and laughter I hope this is how I will always remember her. Rest In Peace Megan God received another angel!
Cat Bird

Charleston, WV

#3 Aug 30, 2011
2001COOKIE wrote:
I went to school with Megan from 3rd grade till graduation. She was a sweet girl! The image of her that I have in my head is one of a great big smile and laughter I hope this is how I will always remember her. Rest In Peace Megan God received another angel!
Bless her heart. And her poor family.

There's nothing about it on the news and I don't understand that. This is not just another case where some drug dealer gets killed. This is a murder and clearly a sex crime as well given the state of the body. Yet there's no information about it, or the poor girl.
Toni

Cleveland, OH

#4 Aug 30, 2011
I want every one to know Mike Nicholas should be ashamed of his self for lying to the media about finding poor Meghan's body. I was taking my 2yr. Old to ER at women and children when I saw that horrific site. This man showed up about 20mins later with others if he's not having nightmares he s
hould for lying like he is.R.I.P. MEGHAN!!
Cat Bird

Charleston, WV

#5 Aug 30, 2011
Toni wrote:
I want every one to know Mike Nicholas should be ashamed of his self for lying to the media about finding poor Meghan's body. I was taking my 2yr. Old to ER at women and children when I saw that horrific site. This man showed up about 20mins later with others if he's not having nightmares he s
Are you for real? A young woman is dead and you are in a pissing match over who found the body first? Is your entire claim to fame the fact that you found a body?

Lady, you need to get a life. The woman was floating down the river for god's sake. I can't believe she went as long a she did without being discovered. And another thing, finding a body does not take some sort of special talent, nor is it heroic. It's traumatic if anything. Did you hold up your kid so it could join in your discovery?

If anyone should be ashamed, it's you.
Big Worm

Huntington, WV

#6 Aug 30, 2011
Cat Bird wrote:
<quoted text>Are you for real? A young woman is dead and you are in a pissing match over who found the body first? Is your entire claim to fame the fact that you found a body?

Lady, you need to get a life. The woman was floating down the river for god's sake. I can't believe she went as long a she did without being discovered. And another thing, finding a body does not take some sort of special talent, nor is it heroic. It's traumatic if anything. Did you hold up your kid so it could join in your discovery?

If anyone should be ashamed, it's you.
It was all over the news. Has been for the last 3 days. Terrible though for sure. Hope they get who did it.
Cat Bird

Charleston, WV

#7 Aug 30, 2011
Big Worm wrote:
<quoted text>
It was all over the news. Has been for the last 3 days. Terrible though for sure. Hope they get who did it.
All I read is that the CPD is not releasing any details, for whatever reason. All that's been in the media is the basic facts of how and when she was found - nothing about her or how she died.

And to Toni, I rethought what I said and I don't blame you for resenting someone else using this for media attention and that's what it boils down to.

I apologize. Sometimes I react then re-think my position which is the case here.
River Rat

Charleston, WV

#8 Aug 30, 2011
I see that it has come out that the girl was a criminal. That explains a lot. Especially why she isn't getting the media treatment a young white woman usually gets.

Let a black person or an older person or a poor person die and no one gives a damn. Let a young, pretty, white woman die and it's Natalie Holloway.

Statistically speaking, the overwhelming majority of murder victims are criminals.
Shaggy

Scott Depot, WV

#9 Sep 3, 2011
River Rat wrote:
I see that it has come out that the girl was a criminal. That explains a lot. Especially why she isn't getting the media treatment a young white woman usually gets.
Let a black person or an older person or a poor person die and no one gives a damn. Let a young, pretty, white woman die and it's Natalie Holloway.
Statistically speaking, the overwhelming majority of murder victims are criminals.
I would say its do to the respect this womans family deserves. Im sure they dont want the details out for people to judge. You must realize that whether she has had trouble with the law or whatever, she still was a human being and someones daughter,grandchild,and sister. Nobody deserves this. I personally did not know this woman and I think it is terrible that people can get on this site and be so judgmental and cruel and above all so nosey!! Mabe its just none of your business and you should find something else to worry about!! Like where your loved ones are and what they are doing. I pray that her family finds the closure they need.
RIP

United States

#10 Sep 4, 2011
That's sad :(
River Rat

Charleston, WV

#11 Sep 6, 2011
Shaggy wrote:
<quoted text> I would say its do to the respect this womans family deserves. Im sure they dont want the details out for people to judge. You must realize that whether she has had trouble with the law or whatever, she still was a human being and someones daughter,grandchild,and sister. Nobody deserves this. I personally did not know this woman and I think it is terrible that people can get on this site and be so judgmental and cruel and above all so nosey!! Mabe its just none of your business and you should find something else to worry about!! Like where your loved ones are and what they are doing. I pray that her family finds the closure they need.
I never said she deserved this. I said it's a statistical fact that most murder victims are criminals. I feel very sad for her and her family. I'm sure this young woman had hope and dreams like everybody else. No one wants to turn criminal and be murdered when they grow up. Some people just get lost along the way and it's a tragedy.

But when you live a criminal life and move among criminals, your chances of being murdered go way up - sort of like the chances of a drunk driver being in a wreck.

It's also a fact that some victims of murder get more media attention than others. Look around if you don't believe me. When was the last time the murder of a young, black male made national news? Or Nancy Grace? Or the cover of every magazine? Never, that's when.

It's young, blond, pretty, white women with no criminal back grounds that make news.
the eye

New York, NY

#12 Sep 6, 2011
River Rat wrote:
<quoted text>I never said she deserved this. I said it's a statistical fact that most murder victims are criminals. I feel very sad for her and her family. I'm sure this young woman had hope and dreams like everybody else. No one wants to turn criminal and be murdered when they grow up. Some people just get lost along the way and it's a tragedy.

But when you live a criminal life and move among criminals, your chances of being murdered go way up - sort of like the chances of a drunk driver being in a wreck.

It's also a fact that some victims of murder get more media attention than others. Look around if you don't believe me. When was the last time the murder of a young, black male made national news? Or Nancy Grace? Or the cover of every magazine? Never, that's when.

It's young, blond, pretty, white women with no criminal back grounds that make news.
Every murder in this state makes news. No matter the race of the victim or assailant. I do agree with you about living a criminal life makes you much more susceptible to crimes happening against you.
I believe they are still investigating her case... Hopefully her family will get some closure soon
River Rat

Charleston, WV

#13 Sep 7, 2011
the eye wrote:
<quoted text>
Every murder in this state makes news. No matter the race of the victim or assailant. I do agree with you about living a criminal life makes you much more susceptible to crimes happening against you.
I believe they are still investigating her case... Hopefully her family will get some closure soon
Yes, but some make more news than others. In 1980, a vice president at Charleston National Bank was murdered and people are still talking about it. It's still unsolved. The local papers still run articles or mention it every once in a while.

I'm guessing this girl was killed by someone she picked up or just met. If so, finding the killer is unlikely unless he/she runs their mouth. Cops loved to play like they solve crimes by their wits but the vast majority of crimes are solved because the perp runs his mouth.

It's too bad the police are not releasing information about it. Often times someone who knows the killer can help police with the information that's released. But then, unless the killer all but runs in the police station covered in blood, the police in this town won't solve this case. That poor woman who went missing last year from Kellys is still unsolved and will probably never be solved.

This is just like that poor girl who was killed in Huntington. The police would not release any information and it was never solved even though the girl was found stuffed in the air ducts of her own house. Now that's pitiful, especially in this day and age.
Leep

Charleston, WV

#14 Sep 10, 2011
River Rat wrote:
Get real. Remeber that black girl down in Logan who was supposedly tortured and then years later said she wasn't...anyhow that was all over the media. Stop playing the poor me i'm black and helpless card. The black girl murded in Taco Bell on the westside got lot's of pub too. You race baiters are pathetic creatures.
Cry Us A River

Charleston, WV

#15 Sep 10, 2011
Leep wrote:
<quoted text> Get real. Remeber that black girl down in Logan who was supposedly tortured and then years later said she wasn't...anyhow that was all over the media. Stop playing the poor me i'm black and helpless card. The black girl murded in Taco Bell on the westside got lot's of pub too. You race baiters are pathetic creatures.
You're just replying to a wimpy black person. You got stupid in every race. He or she will probably be back to argue just for attention. Don't give em any. Race is not the issue or ever will be. It's certain cases that blow up. Whenever somebody brings up race like that like its an issue just let em talk. It's just an issue with them.
Whit

Saint Albans, WV

#16 Sep 12, 2011
Toni wrote:
You have already posted the same petty complaint on WSAZ & got blasted for it. You're a far bigger media wh0re than Mr. Nicholas for using every local outlet possible to make it known that you saw this poor woman's remains. Apparently you don't have enough sense to see the big picture that is this woman's tragic death. Instead you're hung up on your own childish, selfish need for attention. Do the public and yourself a favor - get over it, idiot.

Since: Mar 11

Warfordsburg, PA

#17 Sep 12, 2011
People lets remember the main issue a girl lost her life far too soon. It does not matter if she had a criminal past. She did not deserve this!
River Rat

Charleston, WV

#18 Sep 13, 2011
Leep wrote:
<quoted text> Get real. Remeber that black girl down in Logan who was supposedly tortured and then years later said she wasn't...anyhow that was all over the media. Stop playing the poor me i'm black and helpless card. The black girl murded in Taco Bell on the westside got lot's of pub too. You race baiters are pathetic creatures.
What a nasty little racist you are. And for your information, I'm not black.

It's a simple fact that not only does the race of a victim influence media coverage but so does their gender, socioeconomics, age and appearance, occupation and all sorts of factors. If a doctor gets murdered - regardless of age, race, etc.- it's going to make more news than if a drug dealer - regardless of age, race, etc.- is murdered.

It's your vile racism that's clouded not only your judgment but your intelligence level.
River Rat

Charleston, WV

#19 Sep 13, 2011
2001COOKIE wrote:
People lets remember the main issue a girl lost her life far too soon. It does not matter if she had a criminal past. She did not deserve this!
Nobody said she did. I pointed out her criminal past as a reason her death is not getting much news coverage or follow up in the press.

I can think of at least three unsolved murders and disappearances in Charleston in the past year - this one, the woman who was killed after she got off work tending bar, and the woman who disappeared after leaving work at Kellys. Given that there are only an average of six murders a year in Kanawha County, that's not very good odds.
River Rat

Charleston, WV

#20 Sep 13, 2011
Cry Us A River wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just replying to a wimpy black person. You got stupid in every race. He or she will probably be back to argue just for attention. Don't give em any. Race is not the issue or ever will be. It's certain cases that blow up. Whenever somebody brings up race like that like its an issue just let em talk. It's just an issue with them.
You too are an ugly racist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump supporters cheer his combative stance wit... 3 min inbred Genius 1,501
Charleston DMV run by idiots 4 min Wvphoto 10
Fees for park entry 5 min Hiker 1
Build the wall 34 min Redneck West Virg... 2
fannie's sister got caught 1 hr Fannie 2
Korea 1 hr Nancy 10
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 1 hr RSM 4,088

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charleston Mortgages