What is Goodwill hiding?

What is Goodwill hiding?

Posted in the Charleston Forum

The Public

Charleston, WV

#1 Sep 25, 2013
Our local Goodwill's annual tax return (990) has always been easy to find online via Guidestar and other sites, but the 2012 tax return is not so readily accessible.

Transparency is so important for non-profit organizations, why would Goodwill choose to not publicly display it this time when they always have in the past? An oversight? Hmm.

It's important for the public to be able to view how Goodwill handles the funds received through the public's generous donations and patronage. We have a right to know how much you pay your key employees including the CEO salary.

Goodwill, why aren't you supplying the information to Guidestar this year, or at least, posting this information on your website? This just isn't good business.
wambam

Culloden, WV

#2 Sep 25, 2013
They are hiding 2 broken donated cribs that need paint down in the basement... SCOUNDRELS I SAY!!
The Public

Charleston, WV

#3 Sep 25, 2013
OR they could be hiding the amount of the large salaries the executives make while those with disabilities work in deplorable conditions at ridiculously low wages.
consider this

Saint Albans, WV

#4 Sep 25, 2013
Don't be so quick to judge executive's salaries. Non-profits are very difficult to keep running. Funding is hard to come by. You need a GOOD executive to keep it going, especially a huge non profit like goodwill. For profit companies pay executives very well, because they want the best. Good non profit execs will leave for other jobs if the salaries aren't competitive. If someone offers to double your salary for the same work, are you going to turn it down? Exactly. Why would they be any different.
The Public

Charleston, WV

#5 Sep 25, 2013
consider this wrote:
Don't be so quick to judge executive's salaries. Non-profits are very difficult to keep running. Funding is hard to come by. You need a GOOD executive to keep it going, especially a huge non profit like goodwill. For profit companies pay executives very well, because they want the best. Good non profit execs will leave for other jobs if the salaries aren't competitive. If someone offers to double your salary for the same work, are you going to turn it down? Exactly. Why would they be any different.
I respect your opinion, and agree that they need to pay competitive wages to attract good executives. It's just too bad that they don't apply that same philosophy when it comes to paying the rest of their employees.

Also, as a non-profit, Goodwill relies a great deal on the generosity of the public to donate good items for them to resell. The least they could do is be transparent, and make their records readily available to the public like they used to do, and like most reputable non-profits still do. This information should be readily available on their website. Why hide it?
Jack

Chesapeake, VA

#6 Sep 25, 2013
The Public wrote:
Our local Goodwill's annual tax return (990) has always been easy to find online via Guidestar and other sites, but the 2012 tax return is not so readily accessible.
Transparency is so important for non-profit organizations, why would Goodwill choose to not publicly display it this time when they always have in the past? An oversight? Hmm.
It's important for the public to be able to view how Goodwill handles the funds received through the public's generous donations and patronage. We have a right to know how much you pay your key employees including the CEO salary.
Goodwill, why aren't you supplying the information to Guidestar this year, or at least, posting this information on your website? This just isn't good business.
You came on here as "PUBLIC". You arenot representing the public! You are being nosey and trying to get some unnessary trash started, so why did you do this? Now 'cmon and be honest with every one and admit to it.. Now you have got others chiming in to tare up some ones good name.
The Public

Charleston, WV

#7 Sep 25, 2013
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>You came on here as "PUBLIC". You arenot representing the public! You are being nosey and trying to get some unnecessary trash started, so why did you do this? Now 'cmon and be honest with every one and admit to it.. Now you have got others chiming in to tare up some ones good name.
I am part of the public. Goodwill is in my community. I have the right to question why Goodwill isn't being transparent, as all non-profits should be. That's all. They should post their reports on their site, and then, let the "PUBLIC" decide if they want to continue to support the organization.

I, for one, can't decide whether I want to continue with my support because I don't have the necessary information in front of me to evaluate. Asking a non-profit to make their 990 available on their website is not an unrealistic request.

When it's floating around that employees, many making only minimum wage to begin with, are subjected to pay freezes due to "low funds" and budget cuts, it only makes sense to wonder how far these budget cuts extend. Do they extend all the way up the food chain? Or does it only affect the unfortunate hundreds who are laboring away every day, often in very uncomfortable working conditions, to make as much money as possible for this organization?

I'm not even saying the rumors are true, but I would like to investigate it, starting with the 990. I don't know about you, but I get a little suspicious when a non-profit doesn't seem to want to openly display how funds are distributed, the very funds that are generated through the donation of goods by the "PUBLIC" and through the public's patronage of the stores.

I know that I've often overpaid for a used item in Goodwill, and have gladly done so, because I was happy to DONATE to a good cause. Call it being nosy all you want. I rightfully call it my legal right to view these documents to be sure that Goodwill remains true to the cause.

I challenge Goodwill to make their reports from 2012 available to the public. That's not too much to ask. Other organizations do it. Why not you?

Yewnion Mishion

Dunbar, WV

#8 Sep 25, 2013
If they's non-profit then some one needs to talk to them about the prices at the one down on the west side. A rich person can't even afford furniture down there! Somebody is making a profit.
consider this

Ashburn, VA

#9 Sep 25, 2013
The Public wrote:
<quoted text>
I respect your opinion, and agree that they need to pay competitive wages to attract good executives. It's just too bad that they don't apply that same philosophy when it comes to paying the rest of their employees.
Also, as a non-profit, Goodwill relies a great deal on the generosity of the public to donate good items for them to resell. The least they could do is be transparent, and make their records readily available to the public like they used to do, and like most reputable non-profits still do. This information should be readily available on their website. Why hide it?
I completely agree with you on both points.
Reaper

Dunbar, WV

#10 Sep 25, 2013
The long time CFO (Patricia) retired last year. There is a new guy there now, not sure his name.

My limited experience with him has left the impression that he is more clueless than corrupt.

My 2 cents.
andrew

Charleston, WV

#11 Sep 25, 2013
i once bought a transformers puzzle for my son from the goodwill down there. later he told me some of the pieces were stuck to something and when he picked them off there was piece of a gross candy bar inside the box. i noticed he had little specs of whatever it was all over his hands and shirt. so naturally i looked in to box only to find that it wasnt a candy bar and somebody had actually pooped in it. then i looked at him and it was quite obvious that he had sampled the "gross candy bar".

anyways i packed everything back into the box and put it in my car planning to return it and i almost did several times but i just couldnt bring myself to explain to them that i bought this puzzle for my kid and it had poop in it which he thought was a candy bar and tasted. i finally settled for dumping the contents of the box at the front door.

my kid seemed to have recovered ok although i think i saw him sniff the toilet paper before flushing it once. i hope the tasting poop doesnt turn him gay. the people at church have been praying for him and now we only buy his toys at the georges creek auction.
pennywise

Charleston, WV

#12 Sep 25, 2013
andrew wrote:
i once bought a transformers puzzle for my son from the goodwill down there. later he told me some of the pieces were stuck to something and when he picked them off there was piece of a gross candy bar inside the box. i noticed he had little specs of whatever it was all over his hands and shirt. so naturally i looked in to box only to find that it wasnt a candy bar and somebody had actually pooped in it. then i looked at him and it was quite obvious that he had sampled the "gross candy bar".
anyways i packed everything back into the box and put it in my car planning to return it and i almost did several times but i just couldnt bring myself to explain to them that i bought this puzzle for my kid and it had poop in it which he thought was a candy bar and tasted. i finally settled for dumping the contents of the box at the front door.
my kid seemed to have recovered ok although i think i saw him sniff the toilet paper before flushing it once. i hope the tasting poop doesnt turn him gay. the people at church have been praying for him and now we only buy his toys at the georges creek auction.
That was almost funny. Almost.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ewww jada sloan Christy martin LOOK 1 hr HolliDxoxo 1
Peeping Tom Clark just peeped me 1 hr Justin Curry 1
Where is the Justice? Hard to let it go! 2 hr My opinion 46
Does Frontier discriminate against former (reti... (Mar '15) 2 hr Got it Right 11
Walking path by the Kanawha river 4 hr naturalwonder 41
I put a roman candle in myASSHOLE 5 hr Tom Clark 8
Hurricane Null (May '15) 5 hr Yolandavinci 95

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charleston Mortgages