New Book on West Virginia

Posted in the Charleston Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#1 Jul 11, 2013
Possums, I am in the process of writing a new book about Wrong Turn country and am in a bit of a fix. What should I title it? I thought about Chlamydia Jane,or perhaps Fatal Erection. Even though these two would be accurate for the area I still feel they just do not do justice to the possums there. What about Hillbilly Ho's or Wildbuck? Please let me know what you unfortunates in Wrong Turn country would prefer. Oh I know!!! What about "The tightest women in WV are like throwing a hotdog down the hallway"? Or perhaps, "Smegma Hollar"? Don't know if I could use that one, isn't that a fraternity name for WVU,Smegma Phi? Oh well, it's late and my facial and Margarita are waiting. TaTa for now lady of Quality
1 post removed
REALITY CHECK

United States

#3 Jul 11, 2013
EVOLUTIONARY CULDESAC
McCoy Fan

Orlando, FL

#4 Jul 12, 2013
I agree with Hagatha. WV sure offers enough material for many laughs. I used to live there and it was not the best for us. My husband and I moved our family to Orlando 6 years ago and never regretted it. There are jobs here, wonderful colleges and we have a nicer home than we ever thought we could have. Our kids were behind the others in their classes here,but with tutering they are caught up. My husband makes more money than he could ever make in WV. I went to college here and became a computer programmer and software developer for a major company. It's a shame WV is the way Hagatha portrays it, but it is true. WV is in need of so many things. It is a beautiful place to live but does not offer much in the way of education,jobs or decent housing. My family has done very well here in the "Sunshine State". We love the beaches,theme parks,sunshine, tennis, boating, fishing in all the beautiful lakes,operas and plays. We would never leave and give all this up. My children will be able to go to college and succeed here. Hagatha may be a little arrogant and self promoting but she is right about Florida. We drive to the coast,Cocoa Beach or Daytona, about a 45 minute drive from here, just to play in the sandy beaches,take a dip in the ocean, watch the sunset over the ocean or just to have a nice meal and enjoy the sites. It truly is breatakingly beautiful here. If you want to go on a cruise to Bahamas or Mexico, just drive to Port Canavaral and get on a cruise ship and off you go. What a life.
REALITY CHECK

United States

#5 Jul 12, 2013
Actually, West Virginia is a wonderful place to live. I hate what mountain top removal mining does to it's natural beauty, and sure the meth labs suck, but they aren't just here in the mountain state. Also, since Florida is so freaking awesome, take a trip to Clearwater and tell me what's so much different about it and WV other than the mountains.
Florida Guy

Orlando, FL

#6 Jul 12, 2013
REALITY CHECK wrote:
Actually, West Virginia is a wonderful place to live. I hate what mountain top removal mining does to it's natural beauty, and sure the meth labs suck, but they aren't just here in the mountain state. Also, since Florida is so freaking awesome, take a trip to Clearwater and tell me what's so much different about it and WV other than the mountains.
Well for one thing Clearwater has the beaches and mansions and well educated people. The stores,restaurants and accomodations are second to none. My wife loves Clearwater as I do. However there are so many nice beaches and resorts here that it's hard to decide where to go most of the time. In your area it's deerhunting(yuk) or fishing in a contaminated river or pond or chewing tobacky and running a still.
REALITY CHECK

United States

#7 Jul 12, 2013
Florida Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Well for one thing Clearwater has the beaches and mansions and well educated people. The stores,restaurants and accomodations are second to none. My wife loves Clearwater as I do. However there are so many nice beaches and resorts here that it's hard to decide where to go most of the time. In your area it's deerhunting(yuk) or fishing in a contaminated river or pond or chewing tobacky and running a still.
So materialism, douche-baggery and tourist filled beaches are where you long to be? Glad you're not here then. Enjoy. Also, you'd be surprised; I don't chew "tobacky", have all of my teeth, and I have an education. The river isn't really drinking water worthy, but neither is your Gulf of Mexico hurricane/oil spill dump water. There are mansions in all 50 states- even Wyoming and Iowa, and every state has multiple doctors, lawyers, politicians, engineers, etc. Your argument is invalid, you just prefer "paradise" over "country".
REALITY CHECK

United States

#8 Jul 12, 2013
I like the aesthetics of the sunshine state on occasion, but as far as being a better state, we can agree to just disagree.
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#9 Jul 13, 2013
REALITY CHECK wrote:
I like the aesthetics of the sunshine state on occasion, but as far as being a better state, we can agree to just disagree.
Possum, jealousy is an ugly trait and it does not look good on you hillbillies. We are the tourist capitol of the world and our economy is robust. Many people move here all the time. Never heard of anyone beating down the door to move to West-by-God-Virginny. Now have I heard of millions visiting there for vacation as they do here. There are many reasons why that I wouldn't even know where to begin. Bottom line is, possum, most people of any intelligence do not prefer to come to Wrong Turn country and socialize with the inbred hillbillies. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Appauled

Charleston, WV

#10 Jul 14, 2013
Hagatha May wrote:
<quoted text>Possum, jealousy is an ugly trait and it does not look good on you hillbillies. We are the tourist capitol of the world and our economy is robust. Many people move here all the time. Never heard of anyone beating down the door to move to West-by-God-Virginny. Now have I heard of millions visiting there for vacation as they do here. There are many reasons why that I wouldn't even know where to begin. Bottom line is, possum, most people of any intelligence do not prefer to come to Wrong Turn country and socialize with the inbred hillbillies. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Make sure when you do write a book, you get someone to spell check for you. Your grammar is appalling and punctuation isn't your forte. About how many chapters and pages will be in your book? I am asking only because every post you make is extremely redundant. It doesn't seem like you have that much to write about. Do you realize that you are the only person that gets amused by your ridiculous rants? Good luck to you!!
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#11 Jul 14, 2013
Appauled wrote:
<quoted text>
Make sure when you do write a book, you get someone to spell check for you. Your grammar is appalling and punctuation isn't your forte. About how many chapters and pages will be in your book? I am asking only because every post you make is extremely redundant. It doesn't seem like you have that much to write about. Do you realize that you are the only person that gets amused by your ridiculous rants? Good luck to you!!
Possum, don't worry about me and my scholastic aptitude. It's just fine. I may get a little carried away on here from time to time and error with spelling or punctuation,however the content is accurate. I have a ghost writer who prepares and edits for me on published material. He also gets a chuckle or two when proofing WV material. I have a difficult time taking people from the region very serious, I find them for the most part comical and almost childlike. Yes,possum, the stereotypical hillbilly in the hills of appalachia is very much alive and well. Glad I could help. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Appauled

Charleston, WV

#12 Jul 15, 2013
I am glad you have someone that will correct any and all grammatical errors. What you have to say about WV is limited. I mean you always repeat yourself on Topix, Wrong Turn Country this, hillbilly that. When I read a forum that you create or comment on, I am always disappointed. Being so informed as yourself, it seems like you would have more to talk about. I wouldn't want you to have a book published that wasn't worth reading. If and when your book is published, I should be able to find it in the fiction section right?
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#13 Jul 15, 2013
Appauled wrote:
I am glad you have someone that will correct any and all grammatical errors. What you have to say about WV is limited. I mean you always repeat yourself on Topix, Wrong Turn Country this, hillbilly that. When I read a forum that you create or comment on, I am always disappointed. Being so informed as yourself, it seems like you would have more to talk about. I wouldn't want you to have a book published that wasn't worth reading. If and when your book is published, I should be able to find it in the fiction section right?
Possum, It will indeed be published and will incorporate many facets of life in the hills. Fighting and feuding, trailer life, home stills,deer and groundhog hunting, toothlessness,depressed economy,poorly educated population, hollar life,alcoholism and drug dependancy, and relief checks. Yes possum, it will truly be a reflection of life in rural appalachia West Virginia. Instead of denying my opinion of the region,why not attempt to make some positive changes in the area. First of all, quit denying the state of the area. I have been through there more times than I can count so I am well aware of the reality of the region. The state is lovely as far as natural beauty goes. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Appauled

Charleston, WV

#14 Jul 16, 2013
Hagatha May wrote:
<quoted text>Possum, It will indeed be published and will incorporate many facets of life in the hills. Fighting and feuding, trailer life, home stills,deer and groundhog hunting, toothlessness,depressed economy,poorly educated population, hollar life,alcoholism and drug dependancy, and relief checks. Yes possum, it will truly be a reflection of life in rural appalachia West Virginia. Instead of denying my opinion of the region,why not attempt to make some positive changes in the area. First of all, quit denying the state of the area. I have been through there more times than I can count so I am well aware of the reality of the region. The state is lovely as far as natural beauty goes. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
I do plenty to help those in my area. You are being stereotypical of everyone that live in WV. I have no drug or alcohol problem. I am well educated. Of course you will say that I am some trailer park whatever, but in reality you know nothing about me. I may not have millions, which is fine. I am happy and content with what I do have. Besides if having millions means that I would be pathetic and miserable like yourself, I can do without that. Why don't you do something productive with your free time(we all know you have plenty of time)and all of your money, and change the things you dislike about this area. Until then do everyone a favor and keep your mouth shut. One more thing, Florida has as many problems as WV, work on fixing your area before talking about other places.
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#15 Jul 16, 2013
Appauled wrote:
<quoted text>
I do plenty to help those in my area. You are being stereotypical of everyone that live in WV. I have no drug or alcohol problem. I am well educated. Of course you will say that I am some trailer park whatever, but in reality you know nothing about me. I may not have millions, which is fine. I am happy and content with what I do have. Besides if having millions means that I would be pathetic and miserable like yourself, I can do without that. Why don't you do something productive with your free time(we all know you have plenty of time)and all of your money, and change the things you dislike about this area. Until then do everyone a favor and keep your mouth shut. One more thing, Florida has as many problems as WV, work on fixing your area before talking about other places.
Possum, talk about stereotyping!!!!! Think you wrote the book on that one. Firsty of all I am anything but pathetic and miserable. I am a very happy and lovely white woman who speaks her mind and can afford to. I do not care for ignorant hillbillies, the mud races, or dopers and alcoholics. Many of them are crossovers. I know there are a lot of ignorant hillbilly dopers and alcoholics in your area possum. God seems to have dealt them a crappy deal. You are amongst them and seem to be resentful and yet unwilling to admit your mistake by remaining in Wrong Turn country. I'll pray for you all possum. Not right away mind you, I have a late cocktail parth later this evening. Many celebs and wealthy people will be in attendance. I really shouldn't bother you with such as you would not fit in or understand anyhow. But, sometimes the unfortunates in WV do like a glimpse into a lifestyle they can only dream of. I tend to take it for granted as it is all I have known. But I forget that when you people are used to outhouses,moonshine,incestous relationships and such, you are not prepared to deal with living on the top so to speak. TaTa for now Lady of Quality ps and possum, we do a lot of charity work for the poor in Florida and WV. WV however seems to have many more needs than other places. Hygiene,education,social graces,employment,drug abuse counseling and on and on.
Appauled

Charleston, WV

#16 Jul 16, 2013
Hagatha May wrote:
<quoted text>Possum, talk about stereotyping!!!!! Think you wrote the book on that one. Firsty of all I am anything but pathetic and miserable. I am a very happy and lovely white woman who speaks her mind and can afford to. I do not care for ignorant hillbillies, the mud races, or dopers and alcoholics. Many of them are crossovers. I know there are a lot of ignorant hillbilly dopers and alcoholics in your area possum. God seems to have dealt them a crappy deal. You are amongst them and seem to be resentful and yet unwilling to admit your mistake by remaining in Wrong Turn country. I'll pray for you all possum. Not right away mind you, I have a late cocktail parth later this evening. Many celebs and wealthy people will be in attendance. I really shouldn't bother you with such as you would not fit in or understand anyhow. But, sometimes the unfortunates in WV do like a glimpse into a lifestyle they can only dream of. I tend to take it for granted as it is all I have known. But I forget that when you people are used to outhouses,moonshine,incestous relationships and such, you are not prepared to deal with living on the top so to speak. TaTa for now Lady of Quality ps and possum, we do a lot of charity work for the poor in Florida and WV. WV however seems to have many more needs than other places. Hygiene,education,social graces,employment,drug abuse counseling and on and on.
Your inclination does not matter. Yes you are extremely piteous. You spend to much time trying to belittle the good people of WV. You really need to find something that will occupy your time. You talk about all the things you have, and it is a lie. People that boast are usually making up for something they lack in life. By the way before you speak of someone lacking education. You may want to work on your own.
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#17 Jul 17, 2013
Appauled wrote:
<quoted text>
Your inclination does not matter. Yes you are extremely piteous. You spend to much time trying to belittle the good people of WV. You really need to find something that will occupy your time. You talk about all the things you have, and it is a lie. People that boast are usually making up for something they lack in life. By the way before you speak of someone lacking education. You may want to work on your own.
Possum, your "blue collar" remarks have little to no value to me. Yes, I am indeed a wealthy woman. You may never believe that, however it means nothing to me and changes nothing. Now as far as me trying to belittle the "good people" of WV, well, let's just say they have done a great job of that themselves. As I read through your posts you humor me and at the same time I feel sorry for you. You are extremely defensive and protective of a lifestyle and "culture" that most of America finds rudimentry,backward and somewhat peculiar. I understand one wishing to be proud of ones heritage, but possum, let's look at this in a very objective sense. WV is definately not the model for how one should live or conduct ones life. Most people think of very stereotypical things when WV is conjured up. It is quite appropriate to do so. Stereotypes do indeed exist for a reason, that is, there is always a ring of truth to them. However in the case of WV it is much more than a ring,it is an entire ensemble of clattering rings. Possum, I do not mean to be cruel, but WV is such an easy nut to crack. Your own people provide all the material for a stereotypical novel about the area. Glad I could help. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
2 posts removed
Appauled

Charleston, WV

#20 Jul 17, 2013
Hagatha May wrote:
<quoted text>Possum, your "blue collar" remarks have little to no value to me. Yes, I am indeed a wealthy woman. You may never believe that, however it means nothing to me and changes nothing. Now as far as me trying to belittle the "good people" of WV, well, let's just say they have done a great job of that themselves. As I read through your posts you humor me and at the same time I feel sorry for you. You are extremely defensive and protective of a lifestyle and "culture" that most of America finds rudimentry,backward and somewhat peculiar. I understand one wishing to be proud of ones heritage, but possum, let's look at this in a very objective sense. WV is definately not the model for how one should live or conduct ones life. Most people think of very stereotypical things when WV is conjured up. It is quite appropriate to do so. Stereotypes do indeed exist for a reason, that is, there is always a ring of truth to them. However in the case of WV it is much more than a ring,it is an entire ensemble of clattering rings. Possum, I do not mean to be cruel, but WV is such an easy nut to crack. Your own people provide all the material for a stereotypical novel about the area. Glad I could help. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Likewise! You and your uneducated comments mean nothing to me. Protective? Not exactly, just getting tired of you saying the entire state is in poverty, and whatever else your small mind can think of negative. I'm not quite sure you understand the meaning of stereotypes, but with the way you speak, you really don't know much. Glad I could help!!
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#21 Jul 17, 2013
Appauled wrote:
<quoted text>
Likewise! You and your uneducated comments mean nothing to me. Protective? Not exactly, just getting tired of you saying the entire state is in poverty, and whatever else your small mind can think of negative. I'm not quite sure you understand the meaning of stereotypes, but with the way you speak, you really don't know much. Glad I could help!!
Possum, all you continue to say is the same old things. Blah,Blah,Blah!!! Yes possum, you are very stereotypical of the mentality that vegetates there in "Them thar hills". I know more about your wretched area than you ever will. I do not need to live and suffer there to know that it is not the best place to live. Possum, I would suggest if you cannot handle the heat to stay out of the kitchen,or in terms you can comprehend,If you cannot stand the smell, get out of the outhouse!!!!!!! Glad to enlighten you once again. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Appauled

Charleston, WV

#22 Jul 18, 2013
Hagatha May wrote:
<quoted text>Possum, all you continue to say is the same old things. Blah,Blah,Blah!!! Yes possum, you are very stereotypical of the mentality that vegetates there in "Them thar hills". I know more about your wretched area than you ever will. I do not need to live and suffer there to know that it is not the best place to live. Possum, I would suggest if you cannot handle the heat to stay out of the kitchen,or in terms you can comprehend,If you cannot stand the smell, get out of the outhouse!!!!!!! Glad to enlighten you once again. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Oh my you're so right. I am the one that is redundant. Of course you would know more about WV. I just live here and you have passed through a few times. I can't believe how I doubted you. Try again sweetheart. You're put a new meaning to being an imbecile. Go on with your small mind and arrogance. You can only hope that something will fall out of the sky and knock some sense in you.
1 post removed
so ignorant

United States

#24 Jul 19, 2013
Hagatha May wrote:
<quoted text>Possum, why is it that when an outsider offers constructive criticism they are small minded and arrogant? Now I may not live in Wrong Turn country however I know more about the area than I ever cared to.First of all we own a lovely 100 acre estate there with a huge mansion on it as well as several tracks of land we have set aside as natural preserve. Possum, you need to be more informed before you begin to make accusations and assumptions. You definately put the "fun" in dysfunctional possum. TaTa for now Lady of Quality
Tracts of land. Not tracks. There idiot. I read what you post and get dumber. You kno so much about "hollar" which we spell holler life, I seriously do believe you're one of us. At one point. You truly were one of us. I don't live in a trailer. I work everyday. I am educated. And I have all my teeth. I don't have a slew of kids. My dad isn't my brother. And my mother isn't my cousin. I don't get government assistance of any kind.

I don't have to hunt for my food. I buy it at the grocer. Just like your slaves do for you.(Or so you say). So be gone with your fine self and let us be. No one bothers you. Just live the life you were given. No one here needs your help, not wants or needs your opinions.

You need a hobby. You need something productive to do with your time. God don't like ugly. And you have plenty inside you. Ill pray he takes it from you and your life is full of love and happiness. We are a happy people. Whether we have everything or nothing. With Jesus in our hearts and knowing he loves me. I'm filled with the finest riches. Now say something bad about that. You are just filled with bad and I will pray He can take it away from you! Hatred is bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tonya devitt murder count 25 min Move on already 16
Heaven? 29 min Grace 47
Nicole HELMS (Jun '15) 36 min Smh 74
TGIF for NANCY 44 min 20dks943kds 1
Gasoline Price Hike - Do Your Job, Morrisey 57 min BUCk TooTH Carpet... 1
Why didn't Obama visit WVa when we flooded? 1 hr Nancy 9
Patrick Morrisey wasting TAX Dollars AGAIN 1 hr Username 1

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance