Ex-doc Shafer sentenced to 6 months

Sep 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Williamson Daily News Online

A former Williamson physician pleaded for her freedom in federal court but was sentenced to six months in prison for operating one of the most prolific "pill mills" in the state.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Oct 1, 2012
rumor

Gilbert, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Rumor is that the doc is talking.
panda bear

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

It's about time she gets punished for what she has done. Six months is to short of time for her. I have said for years that I would not let her touch my dog. The ones she wrote the prescriptions for are as quilty as she is.
Country Girl

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

panda bear wrote:
It's about time she gets punished for what she has done. Six months is to short of time for her. I have said for years that I would not let her touch my dog. The ones she wrote the prescriptions for are as quilty as she is.
Been a circus for a while!!
1 post removed
Mingo Mama

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

I am originally from the area and know Dr. Shafer. She started out being a wonderful doctor that really seemed to care about her patients. With her being an orthopedic surgeon repairing broken bones, she had to prescribe a lot of pain medications. I remember hearing people complain back in the 80’s that she was prescribing too much medication. Then with the crackdown on meth & crack, people started turning to pills to get high. I think she started out not really knowing what she was doing and then realized how much money she could make & got GREEDY. Williamson has a population of around 3000 people but at one time there were 2 pain clinics located within a block of each other. The “pillbillies” started coming from everywhere in WV, KY, OH, VA and even TN to sleepy little Williamson to get drugs. First thing in the morning there would be a line of people out the door and down the block, waiting for her office to open for the day. I heard it was $400 to set up your account and then $100 for each prescription. This woman was raking in the money so fast she had it stored in copy paper boxes. The business was so good that a new drug store opened right between the 2 pain clinics to help fill all of the prescriptions. The sad thing is that a lot of people got messed up for life from a woman who took a Hippocratic Oath to “first do no harm” to the patient. I just could never figure out how someone goes to college, med school, does a residency, trains to be a surgeon and then becomes a drug dealer. To me she is worse than the drug thug in the street because she knew better and took her medical knowledge and used it to destroy lives.
Lmao

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Mingo Mama wrote:
I am originally from the area and know Dr. Shafer. She started out being a wonderful doctor that really seemed to care about her patients. With her being an orthopedic surgeon repairing broken bones, she had to prescribe a lot of pain medications. I remember hearing people complain back in the 80’s that she was prescribing too much medication. Then with the crackdown on meth & crack, people started turning to pills to get high. I think she started out not really knowing what she was doing and then realized how much money she could make & got GREEDY. Williamson has a population of around 3000 people but at one time there were 2 pain clinics located within a block of each other. The “pillbillies” started coming from everywhere in WV, KY, OH, VA and even TN to sleepy little Williamson to get drugs. First thing in the morning there would be a line of people out the door and down the block, waiting for her office to open for the day. I heard it was $400 to set up your account and then $100 for each prescription. This woman was raking in the money so fast she had it stored in copy paper boxes. The business was so good that a new drug store opened right between the 2 pain clinics to help fill all of the prescriptions. The sad thing is that a lot of people got messed up for life from a woman who took a Hippocratic Oath to “first do no harm” to the patient. I just could never figure out how someone goes to college, med school, does a residency, trains to be a surgeon and then becomes a drug dealer. To me she is worse than the drug thug in the street because she knew better and took her medical knowledge and used it to destroy lives.
Lmao at "Hear say Mingo Mama"! You are funny as hell, and wouldn't know the truth if it kissed you right on the but hole. Tehehehe
Mingo Mama

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Lmao wrote:
<quoted text>Lmao at "Hear say Mingo Mama"! You are funny as hell, and wouldn't know the truth if it kissed you right on the but hole. Tehehehe
Well let your fool ass pucker up and kiss my entire butt. he he he!
funny

Seymour, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

Oh please!!! She wrote Lortab's,I mean that's not a high potency drug by any means.I personally wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with one.
But I guess it was the Fiorocet's,and the Soma's and the Xanax's in combination that really got people to come to her...You know the Frog's and the Purple Foot Ball's,and the Lori's..lmao!!!! People are in prison right now this very minute over Xanax's.I had a guy tell me once he said "Man every time I get on them damned Xanax's I break out in Felony's and Misdemeanor's.....So I gotta be allergic to them".You know he just mighta been..LMAO!!!
dater

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

rumor wrote:
Rumor is that the doc is talking.
She use to date that trooper J. J. Miller who protected her and they was real close and in a relationship for years and they was seen all over pikeville
ted

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

drugs are bad
1 post removed
idc

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2012

That's week

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Charleston Forum right now

Search the Charleston Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Regional jail inmate dies after altercation 24 min weirdo 67
regina ranson 46 min kili 1
aurelia lewis 49 min loop 1
Pies and Pints NEW lications 54 min Truthiness 9
black dude with sword 59 min wolfknives 19
Happy ending massage? 1 hr Blah 3
Police Say Home Where Neglect Arrests Made In D... 1 hr And again. 6
•••
•••