First Prev
of 2
Next Last
curious

Charleston, WV

#1 Nov 25, 2012
does wv have black panthers and im talking about the animals not people.
brian

Vinton, VA

#2 Nov 26, 2012
if you ask the dnr they will tell you no but I have talked to people that swaer on.everything that they have seen one before. A friend of mines dads has a pic of one on a trail cam clear as day. He lives on VA / WV boarder
Mountaineer

Fairfield, VA

#3 Nov 26, 2012
No black panthers, panthers, mountain lions, or cougarís. Unless you are talking about the school ball teams.
redneckerson

Lizemores, WV

#4 Nov 26, 2012
There is a large population of black feral house cats living on my Jackson county farm , that could easily be mistaken for panthers ,these things are pretty big probably 30lbs. We have shot several you can hold them by the tail shoulder high and their head hits the ground! But they are what they are, just big wild feral house cats all black!
I Know

Charleston, WV

#5 Nov 26, 2012
curious wrote:
Yes!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#6 Nov 26, 2012
curious wrote:
Where I used to live (Mason County) we had bobcats until the DNR released those coyotes. They're actually good 'cats' to have around.
1 post removed
SUPERTRAMP

Hurricane, WV

#8 Mar 8, 2013
Walking to work wrote:
<quoted text>
Where I used to live (Mason County) we had bobcats until the DNR released those coyotes. They're actually good 'cats' to have around.
A black panther was spotted around the buses at Hurricane High School last year on a saturday afternoon. The custodian was working for a band fundraiser and was outback when he spotted what he thought was a labrador. As it came down from the hill towards the buses he noticed it had a tail that twitched like a cats. Then after reckonizing it for what it was he went inside and brought out one of the parents to confirm if it was a panther. The parent replied "That aint no housecat. It was about the size of a med. size dog.

About 3 yrs ago i spotted one from about 100 yds. It was the size of a lg beagle even from that distance.

a local farmer in Culloden has spotted one 7 times on his property.
The first time while coming home on his tractor. He said it leapt from one side of the gravel road to the bank on the other side.
Another sighting it was walking across a clearing beneath power liones. The last sighting he was asleep on his couch when his son came in and replied "Dad, that cats out here" When he got up and went to the door to look, he said it was standing next to a shed and was about the size of a rottweiler with a thick tail that sagged bown to the ground and turned back up. I have a tendency to believe these stories because the man was always witnessing about Christ, plus the fact that i and others have seen them.

listen to the wind

Charleston, WV

#9 Mar 8, 2013
Mountaineer wrote:
No black panthers, panthers, mountain lions, or cougarís. Unless you are talking about the school ball teams.
Not much of a "mountaineer," huh? Personally, never seen a black panther but WV certainly has its share of mountain lions.
Mt Man

Chesapeake, VA

#10 Mar 8, 2013
listen to the wind wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much of a "mountaineer," huh? Personally, never seen a black panther but WV certainly has its share of mountain lions.
No proof of Mt Lions in WV, other than hear say.
From the Mountains of WV

United States

#11 Mar 9, 2013
I have seen Mt lions in wv ,up close and personal. Plus my Mother has photos of a panther taken atop Queen's Mtn near Upshur Co.
From the Mountains of WV

United States

#12 Mar 9, 2013
I had a gentleman whom worked for DNR tell me if you took the woods in WV and shook them out it would surprise you at what would fall out . Frightening is what he called it.
Mt Man

Chesapeake, VA

#13 Mar 9, 2013
From the Mountains of WV wrote:
I had a gentleman whom worked for DNR tell me if you took the woods in WV and shook them out it would surprise you at what would fall out . Frightening is what he called it.
If he was to shake the woods, he would get a bunch of redneck hillbillies that have never been out of those hollers and some who have never seen sunlight, but he would never shake a mt lion out of those woods.
way to the right

Charleston, WV

#14 Mar 9, 2013
Mountaineer wrote:
I don't know about panthers cougars but't I killed a mountain lion 4 years ago. Haven't seen one since though thank god
way to the right

Charleston, WV

#15 Mar 9, 2013
Mt Man wrote:
<quoted text>If he was to shake the woods, he would get a bunch of redneck hillbillies that have never been out of those hollers and some who have never seen sunlight, but he would never shake a mt lion out of those woods.
Your quite mistaken mountain man. I killed one on my farm in Jackson Co. 4 years ago.
Jacob

Troy, VA

#16 Mar 9, 2013
I have fanticized about wrestling a Mt. Lion but found out it was only Blk Barbie.
Mt Man

Chesapeake, VA

#17 Mar 9, 2013
way to the right wrote:
<quoted text>
Your quite mistaken mountain man. I killed one on my farm in Jackson Co. 4 years ago.
I'm sure you would have pictures of you and the Mt Lion together, and it would have also made the news if it actually happened, the proof is in the puddin. You are full of Siht!
Wilbur

Troy, VA

#18 Mar 9, 2013
Mt Man wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you would have pictures of you and the Mt Lion together, and it would have also made the news if it actually happened, the proof is in the puddin. You are full of Siht!
You must be gay and want to taste the pudding? Just sayin!Try the truck stop for a trucker taste. Hahahahaha!
Nobody

Mooresville, NC

#19 Mar 10, 2013
In the middle of nowhere literally 20 minutes from the nearest main road about 9 or 10 years ago a friend of mine and I heard the sound of a panther off in the woods. It was about 2 or 3 AM, we were standing on his front porch talking with only a faint light shining down. Almost pitch black. We both heard a sound about 100 yards off into the woods that sounded almost like a woman screaming. It was obviously a cat sound and it damn sure wasn't some tabby housecat out in the woods. The sound made my hairs stand up on my neck and goosebumps pop out all over my arms, it made me feel a primal fear that is likely almost never felt anymore these days by modern man. What beautiful creatures, but who wants to meet one on a dark night? Yikes.
Nobody

Mooresville, NC

#20 Mar 10, 2013
I will also add that the area this occurred in is extremely isolated. There are only a few thousand people in the entire county where this took place. There is only one town in this county, and it doesn't even have a stop light. Maybe 100 people live in the town, if that. Probably less. If there was something that didn't want to be found this area would be an awesome place to hang out. I'm talking no neighbors for five miles and nothing but trees and mountains in any direction for over 50 miles.
BlkBarbie69

Huntington, WV

#21 Mar 11, 2013
Me and my husband have both seen a Black panther in WV before. I remember we were both in Mt. Nebo just holding hands and walking the streets. We have a couple friends in that area and it we were walking at night time so im not really sure if it was a black panther or if it was a mountain lion. We were both just walking down a street and that area is full of woods. We both heard a scream and it sounded like a woman screaming through the woods. He was about to go and check it out until i told him not too because i know mountain lions and panthers are supposed to sound like a woman screaming. I was started to get a little bit scared but we kept walking anyway and then like 10 or 20 minutes later we both saw it cross the road right infront of us like 30 or 40 ft away and it was looking right at us. I grabbed my husband in fear and i almost started to cry and my husband was scared too but we both watching it and we watched it walk in the woods then my husband grabbed a big rock and we heard it walking through the woods but it sounded like it was walking away and then we heard it start running through the woods. We called up our friend and she came and picked us up. That cat was big and black with a long curvy tail. It was way bigger then any kind of a house cat and i know exactly what black panthers look like. It was one of the scariest nights i ever had and i will never go walking through My Nebo or anywhere else in WV if were close to the woods and its night time. I will never forget that night and my husbands mom also said he has seen one before. She was driving down a road i forget where and they seen it walking beside of the road and she said whenever she went back to get a better look at it, it was gone. She explained to us exactly what it looked like and everything she saw was exactly what we saw. Me and my husband have been to zoo's and we went to a zoo one time down in Florida and we saw one up close including Jaguars and its looked exactly like what a Black Panther looks like. WV does have Black Panthers and a couple days after that night i started looking up stuff about Black Panthers and Mountain Lions and it said you could live your whole life in Mountain Lion country and you could never see one. WV does have some wild animals like Black Panthers and Mountain Lions but i think they just try to hide it from people so people don't get scared or so nobody will try to hunt them down. I love Black Panthers but i don't think i would ever wanna be up close to one out of the cage like what happened to us that night lol. I believe Black Panthers and Mountain Lions are in WV. This is the Mountain State and Mountain Lions have to be in this state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump supporters cheer his combative stance wit... 13 min Trump your President 1,273
Matt Harkins 45 min JUST DONT 18
Kanawha County Emergency Ambulance Authority 2 hr I know 3
Band At the Barrel last weekend 2 hr who 4
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 2 hr Tolatenow 4,013
Knights Inn Shooting 2 hr S Wesson 8
Hogans Goat playing at the Dome in KC. 3 hr Buddy Holly 1

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charleston Mortgages