Dental Hygiene think before going to college for it!!! Job market BAD
Posted in the Charleston Forum
Since: Jun 10
#1 Jun 7, 2010
Hygienist or Nursing student: job outlook in Southern WV
For all those men and women that want to became a Dental Hygienist and would like to live and work in Southern West Virginia – you should be aware of some facts that the colleges are not telling you.
1. That there are just over 1000 dentist practicing in this state currently vs. a population of about 3 million West Virginian’s.
2. That per every dentist they only have a certain amount of hygienist a dentist may have per dentist and I think that number is 3
3. The current wage for a Hygienist is from $18.00 an hour to $30.00 with the average working for around $22.00
4. Most hygienist cannot find full time employment and only work 1-3 days per week and receive no benefits! When you work only 1-3 days per week and make $18 – 22 hourly – you might have to get a second job part time for around or just over minimum wage to support a family!!
5. That the schools in WV with hygiene programs are graduating approx. 22 – 40 students per year and there are about 5 colleges/universities with the Dental Hygiene Curriculum. That’s about 110 -200 new RDH’s a year looking for employment in the WV
6. That only about an average of 3-6 dentist graduating will stay and remain one year in WV and some of those will move on to other states for better prospects in their profession. That is about 3-6 DDS new in the area – and it takes a year for them to build a Hygiene Recare Patient Based System to support one hygienist.
7. There are currently many graduates from the past two years WVU Tech (now under a new name) West Liberty, Southern, and WVU that still have not found positions.
Now, do the math – with only a small amount of dentist in the state and a hundred to two hundred hygienist graduating yearly, current graduate RDH students still unemployed, the situation does not look to get any better.
 The pay – Dentist have caught on and are offering less and less on the hour for new hygienist.
 Some Colleges are not being honest with prospective students inquiring about the hygiene program and is still telling them of high hourly pay rates and 100% job placement!!!!
BE AWARE of how difficult it is to get a job in hygiene after going through a very tough college program and paying out the money for the degree !!!!
I would suggest to anyone to search other health care careers like Nursing, Physical Therapy, and others that have the prospect of actually GETTING A JOB in Southern WV (ESP.Kanawha Co. area, along with Putnam, Cable, and Raleigh Co.) with all the hard work you have put into it !!!!!!!
Add your comments below
|Comrade trump tax plan||29 min||Wvphoto||6|
|Kanawha Drug Court a joke||1 hr||terri||12|
|Bill Cosby was at Tricky Fish yesterday||2 hr||Dan Dan Tony||14|
|meth cook loser (Sep '14)||11 hr||Speak My Mind||8|
|Who got murdered at Garrison and Pacific?||11 hr||Speak My Mind||38|
|Campbell's Creeks Watch Mayor Jason Ballard Ste...||11 hr||Speak My Mind||19|
|crooked heating and air condition companies. (Jul '15)||11 hr||Laura||8|
Find what you want!
Search Charleston Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC