George

Charleston, WV

#35216 Dec 21, 2013
No worries though for all those screwed out of their insurance because of Obamacare, THe mighty "O" waved his magic wand again and gave them an exemption, just like he did for all his political buddies and anyone he felt like. And no worries that since they cant buy their normal policies they can buy the sucky crap policies Obama complained about instead. Brilliant.

“Bacon says: I love you”

Since: Oct 13

Mommy and Daddy

#35217 Dec 21, 2013
George wrote:
No worries though for all those screwed out of their insurance because of Obamacare, THe mighty "O" waved his magic wand again and gave them an exemption, just like he did for all his political buddies and anyone he felt like. And no worries that since they cant buy their normal policies they can buy the sucky crap policies Obama complained about instead. Brilliant.
Obama keeps giving exemptions so that people don't have to buy his inferior product. He even thinks that Obamacare sucks.
Coal

Tampa, FL

#35218 Dec 21, 2013
We need to get rid of any democrat that supports Obama. He is totally against coal and our way of life in general. Any democrat that won't stand up for us needs to go.

Since: Sep 13

Fairmont, WV

#35219 Dec 21, 2013
West Virginia is going to continue to go the way of the poor southern states that take three times the amount of federal while paying three times less in taxes due to severe poverty UNLESS the state starts voting for REAL Democrats and also makes sure Capito doesn't end up in office.

Recent studies show that there is less than 25 years of ACCESSIBLE coal left in West Virginia (the rest would cost so much to access that the profit wouldn't cover it). West Virginia MUST diversify its economy. Pennsylvania saw the writing was on the wall for coal and lessened coal production 80 percent over two decades while improving their educated base and infrastructure to lure high-end business to the state.

Capito is a TRAITOR to West Virginia. Supporting low wages and ignoring the dire realities of West Virginia's over reliance on boom and bust energy based economies.

VOTE "NO" TO DESTRUCTIVE REPUBLICAN POLICIES.

VOTE "YES" FOR AN EDUCATED WEST VIRGINIA AND BETTER JOBS.

“If you put your ear to this,”

Since: May 13

You can hear a conservative

#35220 Dec 21, 2013
Space-Cowboy wrote:
West Virginia is going to continue to go the way of the poor southern states that take three times the amount of federal while paying three times less in taxes due to severe poverty UNLESS the state starts voting for REAL Democrats and also makes sure Capito doesn't end up in office.
Recent studies show that there is less than 25 years of ACCESSIBLE coal left in West Virginia (the rest would cost so much to access that the profit wouldn't cover it). West Virginia MUST diversify its economy. Pennsylvania saw the writing was on the wall for coal and lessened coal production 80 percent over two decades while improving their educated base and infrastructure to lure high-end business to the state.
Capito is a TRAITOR to West Virginia. Supporting low wages and ignoring the dire realities of West Virginia's over reliance on boom and bust energy based economies.
So true. There's no denying that the blue states pay for the red ones. But there's a misconception here that this state is "2-to-1 Democrats." That's true, in a single-issue local union vote. But nationally, this state is redder than Alabama and Mississippi. We need liberals, not just democrats.

We need to overhaul our educational system - year-round schedules and after school programs. Increase teacher pay and recruit good ones.

Legalize gambling online, and lead the world in the technologies involved.

We have to end the stigma of how hard it is to do business in West Virginia, and that involves more than overhauling the way we tax them, which is atrociously bad.

Coal killed itself and has been replaced with gas - which may ultimately be far more worse on the environment - but no matter what, it isn't going anywhere. We need a serious environmental oversight board that goes well beyond any EPA or national standards.
1 post removed

Fairmont, WV

#35222 Dec 21, 2013
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>
So true. There's no denying that the blue states pay for the red ones. But there's a misconception here that this state is "2-to-1 Democrats." That's true, in a single-issue local union vote. But nationally, this state is redder than Alabama and Mississippi. We need liberals, not just democrats.
We need to overhaul our educational system - year-round schedules and after school programs. Increase teacher pay and recruit good ones.
Legalize gambling online, and lead the world in the technologies involved.
We have to end the stigma of how hard it is to do business in West Virginia, and that involves more than overhauling the way we tax them, which is atrociously bad.
Coal killed itself and has been replaced with gas - which may ultimately be far more worse on the environment - but no matter what, it isn't going anywhere. We need a serious environmental oversight board that goes well beyond any EPA or national standards.
I agree with you regarding everything except two points:

1. Being a former teacher, I agree that educational standards must improve; however, I do not agree with year-round schedules. One reason is that year-round schooling has no discernible affect on outcomes, and two, most people don't realize that teachers must attend school over the summer in order to keep their certifications current, but also to remain knowledgeable regarding content. There simply isn't enough time to renew certifications while also teaching (which is a 24 hour job if you are doing it correctly).

2. Businesses are attracted to states based on two things: one, a highly educated base, and two, well-developed infrastructure. It is a fallacy that low taxes attract business. In fact, studies have shown that states with no state income tax and generally low corporate taxes, develop much more slowly than states with higher taxes. This is due to the fact that sales taxes triple, less money is available to make college affordable for students (lessening the educated base), and infrastructure suffers from lack of funds.

It has long been know that the number one issue that prevents high-end businesses from coming to West Virginia is the fact that the state has the lowest number of college grads of any state. If things are EVER going to improve in this state, it's the people themselves that MUST CHANGE.

“If you put your ear to this,”

Since: May 13

You can hear a conservative

#35223 Dec 21, 2013
Space-Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you regarding everything except two points:
1. Being a former teacher, I agree that educational standards must improve; however, I do not agree with year-round schedules. One reason is that year-round schooling has no discernible affect on outcomes, and two, most people don't realize that teachers must attend school over the summer in order to keep their certifications current, but also to remain knowledgeable regarding content. There simply isn't enough time to renew certifications while also teaching (which is a 24 hour job if you are doing it correctly).
2. Businesses are attracted to states based on two things: one, a highly educated base, and two, well-developed infrastructure. It is a fallacy that low taxes attract business. In fact, studies have shown that states with no state income tax and generally low corporate taxes, develop much more slowly than states with higher taxes. This is due to the fact that sales taxes triple, less money is available to make college affordable for students (lessening the educated base), and infrastructure suffers from lack of funds.
It has long been know that the number one issue that prevents high-end businesses from coming to West Virginia is the fact that the state has the lowest number of college grads of any state. If things are EVER going to improve in this state, it's the people themselves that MUST CHANGE.
What makes it so hard to do business in this state isn't necessarily the dollar amount of taxes, which why I didn't mention anything about lowering them. An average WV business pays between 5 and 6 DIFFERENT taxes to an equal number of recipients, and the licensing and review boards for all industries are always the worst in the country. They can move to Pennsyltucky and pay one to the state and they mete it out to local and trade organizations. Dealing with WV's government from a business owner's perspective is a nightmare comapred to at least 40 other states, and all those bordering us.

I have several teachers in my family, and our teachers are the problem. We have some great ones, yes, but we simply don't do anything to attract enough good ones. Too many just don't care, and to be honest, they aren't paid enough to are anyway. Year-round scheduling is the way of the future, and I don't care if it inconveniences our teachers. Like I said, if they're paid properly, they won't mind either. It doesn't necessarily increase performance because it isn't adding instructional time - it's just reorganizing the existing year to make some sense.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/issues/year-round-sc...

But we should add instructional time to the year for kids who need it. That does improve performance. After-school programs need to be mandatory for young children K-5 and those that need additional help afterwards, It would also help parents who have to deal with after-school babysitters and the year-round schedules ensure that all kids are fed 12 months a year, especially when implemented with take-home lunch programs.

I don't ever want to see teachers - professionals - drug tested. But, as professionals, they should have to take rigorous annual certification exams that cover far more than the student curriculum. Raising standards is great talk, but this state hasn't proven to anyone that we have the power to reach the existing ones. That starts with teachers.

Ravenswood

#35224 Dec 22, 2013
If you bozos are worried about an uneducated person that can barely speak English, taking your jobs, you are losers. But I knew you are losers anyway. That is obvious.

Ravenswood

#35225 Dec 22, 2013
Space-Cowboy wrote:
With Capito, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Her father was a crook who screwed WV and she is worthless.

Ravenswood

#35226 Dec 22, 2013
I have two kids in the education system. They wouldn't mind year round school. They also know these kids will get fed at least twice a day.
We do have some good teachers but we also have some not so good, just like all professions, sadly, when it's a teacher, it affects our children.
A good teacher never goes in the profession to get rich, they do it for the love of children. But, they absolutely need better pay. It's sad we pay more for someone to work on our roads than we do for teachers who are responsible for our children's education.

Ravenswood

#35227 Dec 22, 2013
Paul Ryan, what a scumbag you are. Then again, what should anyone expect? This is a man who paid for his college education using Social Security money he received following the untimely death of his father then has spent his entire adult life working for the government yet constantly speaks out against entitlement spending and vilifies the same government his life has been dependent upon.

Again, republican's view, I got mine screw you.

Mommy and Daddy

#35228 Dec 22, 2013
Melissa Harris The 2nd wrote:
I have two kids in the education system. They wouldn't mind year round school. They also know these kids will get fed at least twice a day.
We do have some good teachers but we also have some not so good, just like all professions, sadly, when it's a teacher, it affects our children.
A good teacher never goes in the profession to get rich, they do it for the love of children. But, they absolutely need better pay. It's sad we pay more for someone to work on our roads than we do for teachers who are responsible for our children's education.
There you go again with the lies about your family. And then you call other people scum bags? Typical ignorant, arrogant libturd.
2 posts removed
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#35231 Dec 22, 2013
teachers get paid just right. 154 days per year. why are you libbys always wanting more pay ?
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#35232 Dec 22, 2013
lets cut obsamas pay. his latest evaluation given to him by the american people says hes worthless. mr. president .... its the economy stupid.

Mommy and Daddy

#35233 Dec 22, 2013
Jimmy Karen Love wrote:
So do you guys meet up at the soup kitchen on the holidays?
Yeah, unlike an obnoxious, ignorant turd like you who never showers and lays around on the couch all the time drinking beer and farting, many of us volunteer at charitable organizations during the holiday season.
yup

Charleston, WV

#35234 Dec 22, 2013
Mgtn Res wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, unlike an obnoxious, ignorant turd like you who never showers and lays around on the couch all the time drinking beer and farting, many of us volunteer at charitable organizations during the holiday season.
you are a fuckingqueerbitch
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#35235 Dec 22, 2013
http://youtu.be/koeZ11Gbb7I you libbys piss me off. this will never fly. american conservatives are armed to the hilt.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#35236 Dec 22, 2013
http://youtu.be/BH-CM1adTJs hahaha you liberals run out and "stand with the mother government".
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#35237 Dec 22, 2013
libby goofballs .... your funny. i dare you pissys.
fitness-guru

Norman, OK

#35238 Dec 22, 2013
however ... ummmm, maybe this might just work !! government dole collectors. financial status and all. hummmm..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who are some of the bad boys of Rand? (Apr '13) 36 min that girl 257
Drunken Murderer- Low Life Dustin Stephen Burkh... 1 hr hisbaby 5
home remedies for gas? 2 hr sonny K 1
Lying Judge Mike Kelly 2 hr Fed Up 4
Coonskin Park (Apr '13) 2 hr Barack 70
Pagans mc 2 hr lisa 6
Booms Restaurant 2 hr Shrek 37
Charleston Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web