WV Public Employees Daycare
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Father of one

Huntington, WV

#21 Jan 13, 2014
We send our daughter there and all in all it has been a fine experience. The staff have all been nice and we have no doubt that they truly care about the children. Yes, they are "uneducated" because that is the nature of child care, they are low paying jobs with no benefits. Good luck finding any daycare anywhere with college educated, licensed teachers.

I think it's worth noting that some of these complaints are missing that the daycare is following state regulations. Any child with a temperature over 101 is required to be sent home, that's a state regulation. It doesn't matter the reason whether they are teething or got their shots, it's just a blanket regulation to prevent the spread of illness. Daycares also aren't permitted to give medication to children (unless there is a licensed nurse on staff, I believe) because they are not clinicians. Even with a prescription or instructions from a pediatrician, daycare staff can't give that medication. Again, a state regulation. Imagine if an employee accidentally gave the wrong dose of a medication and the child ended up seriously ill---it's a safety and liability issue.

Our experience has been fine. If that ever changes, I won't hesitate to move our daughter elsewhere. I know though that every daycare, like every school, every business, and every restaurant, has its complaints. Don't let a few people who may not understand the regulations dissuade you from checking this (or any other daycare out), go and visit each of them yourself and be flexible. If you don't like it, then change. Nobody is forcing you to send your child any particular place.
movin on up

Martinsburg, WV

#22 Jan 13, 2014
Father of one wrote:
We send our daughter there and all in all it has been a fine experience. The staff have all been nice and we have no doubt that they truly care about the children. Yes, they are "uneducated" because that is the nature of child care, they are low paying jobs with no benefits. Good luck finding any daycare anywhere with college educated, licensed teachers.

I think it's worth noting that some of these complaints are missing that the daycare is following state regulations. Any child with a temperature over 101 is required to be sent home, that's a state regulation. It doesn't matter the reason whether they are teething or got their shots, it's just a blanket regulation to prevent the spread of illness. Daycares also aren't permitted to give medication to children (unless there is a licensed nurse on staff, I believe) because they are not clinicians. Even with a prescription or instructions from a pediatrician, daycare staff can't give that medication. Again, a state regulation. Imagine if an employee accidentally gave the wrong dose of a medication and the child ended up seriously ill---it's a safety and liability issue.

Our experience has been fine. If that ever changes, I won't hesitate to move our daughter elsewhere. I know though that every daycare, like every school, every business, and every restaurant, has its complaints. Don't let a few people who may not understand the regulations dissuade you from checking this (or any other daycare out), go and visit each of them yourself and be flexible. If you don't like it, then change. Nobody is forcing you to send your child any particular place.
I am not saying this because I once worked there, that is one daycare you do NOT want to take your child. I left that place for a reason. There is a lot that goes on parents do not see. You could not pay me to put my child there.
Heather Coon

Charleston, WV

#23 Feb 19, 2014
Well can't agree with any of this. I worked at PEDC in 2000-2001 had my daughter here in 2002-2003 and my second child age 4 here now Cathy is a great person easy to work for takes pride in her school and loves the kids. Very clean friendly staff and great learning tools. unfortunately the daycare is closing due to funds after 28 years. Just feel it deserves a better rating.

Wish Cathy and Staff the best
wow!

Daniels, WV

#24 Feb 20, 2014
Heather Coon wrote:
Well can't agree with any of this. I worked at PEDC in 2000-2001 had my daughter here in 2002-2003 and my second child age 4 here now Cathy is a great person easy to work for takes pride in her school and loves the kids. Very clean friendly staff and great learning tools. unfortunately the daycare is closing due to funds after 28 years. Just feel it deserves a better rating.

Wish Cathy and Staff the best
Cathy must have you really snowed..smh. She is good at putting on a front. She does not fool me for one second. I can write a whole page of names of people that has removed children from that place due to how it is ran & the lack of care for the kids.
ex child care provider

Charleston, WV

#25 Aug 15, 2014
she is gone now! ding dong the witch is gone! to all of cathy pauleys former workers (myself included) this is a wonderful day in that centers history. i worked for her for five years but had to quit cause i was having too many panic attacks brought on by her. only wish i could have seen her leave from there for the last time. she is a heartless uncaring monster who worked me like a slave. and i hope she enjoys dying alone....
fyi

New Kensington, PA

#26 Aug 19, 2014
ex child care provider wrote:
she is gone now! ding dong the witch is gone! to all of cathy pauleys former workers (myself included) this is a wonderful day in that centers history. i worked for her for five years but had to quit cause i was having too many panic attacks brought on by her. only wish i could have seen her leave from there for the last time. she is a heartless uncaring monster who worked me like a slave. and i hope she enjoys dying alone....
So did she get fired or just quit? Where she workin at now? I never could stand her.
ex child care provider

Charleston, WV

#27 Aug 24, 2014
i was told after they almost closed last spring that her new boss looked into what she was earning and found out she had been getting paid based on her having a four year degree that she didnt really have, so they cut her paid to 18 an hours. which was not good enough for her so she walked out.
sad

Charleston, WV

#28 Aug 24, 2014
Sad that someone blames the boss when they are subpar employees. My child attended that day care while Kathy was there. She was a professional dealing with drama queen young women. I am sorry to hear she is gone and will assume the place will not survive long without here.
mona

Charleston, WV

#29 Aug 24, 2014
I just live how parents spend probably 5 minutes at drop off and 5 at pick up and think they know the story. She did her job which was to make parents comfortable leaving there children. as for happy children, these people would be mean to the children all day then an hours before pick up, give suckers and cuddle and then the child would be happy. Daycares in general hide alot. there is so much that happens in that 8 hours that parents will never know. but keep on bragging and prayerfully your child walks away with minimal damage!
Gillian Williams

Charleston, WV

#30 Apr 13, 2015
I work at the daycare and the new director is clueless and some workers do nothing while others are worked like s dog including me.They add more work but the pay is the same the director needs to be fired treats us like children and lies a lot and shows a lot of favoritism and allows others to be late every day without consequences.The lack of structure and disorganization will cause its closure soon Do not work there or send your kids there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colin Kaepernick buying a coal mine in Boone Co... 2 min Info 1
Blvd changes 7 min Narrow gauge 49
stupid tweet from stupid donald 39 min tweetitupurass 1
Aaron Stone 43 min SeemsObvious 4
massage 1 hr Bert 13
Eminem Moving to Campbells Creek 1 hr mandms 6
tax bill 1 hr redneck 2

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance