Moore backs toll removal

Moore backs toll removal

There are 16 comments on the Bluefield Daily Telegraph story from Feb 19, 2013, titled Moore backs toll removal. In it, Bluefield Daily Telegraph reports that:

Add another southern West Virginia lawmaker to the list of those who are working to remove tolls from the West Virginia Turnpike.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bluefield Daily Telegraph.

citizen

Mount Hope, WV

#1 Feb 19, 2013
i dont even know mr. moore,,,,but i like him!!!!!

“HobertC The1Great AwesomeOne ”

Since: Apr 08

Welch WV

#2 Feb 20, 2013
Well, this is like the 2nd or 3rd time he want to bring this up.... But with no solution of how to fund the WV turnpike....
kyle

Mount Hope, WV

#3 Feb 20, 2013
why does this road need so damm much funding?? its only 88 miles long.. hell, we have thousands of miles of road that seem to do allrite,,,we dont pay extra for them!!! tear the toll booths down and let the state road take care of it!!!!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#4 Feb 20, 2013
The so-called West Virginia Turnpike is part of the Inter-State system. Do you know of any other Inter-State road that has toll booths on them.

“HobertC The1Great AwesomeOne ”

Since: Apr 08

Welch WV

#5 Feb 20, 2013
Many Inter-state or roads have toll roads.... Some States have more then one road that... No way would I want to see the the state take care of the WV Turnpike other then Snow removal, which they don't always do a good job at that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roa...
John

Troy, VA

#6 Feb 20, 2013
I-77 was originally in the interstate system but Wva. decided to toll their portion. I wonder how much Wv. takes in each yr. and where the money goes?? Arch Moore probably got his part.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 20, 2013
Mr_h wrote:
Many Inter-state or roads have toll roads.... Some States have more then one road that... No way would I want to see the the state take care of the WV Turnpike other then Snow removal, which they don't always do a good job at that...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roa...
Good info on the I-State toll roads. I-77 is a Federal 90%-State 10%, I guess that the users pay our 10%?
get it straight

United States

#8 Feb 21, 2013
John wrote:
I-77 was originally in the interstate system but Wva. decided to toll their portion. I wonder how much Wv. takes in each yr. and where the money goes?? Arch Moore probably got his part.
The turnpike was established back in the 50s. And the interstate system was not put in place till the 70s. So the turnpike was here first! I say keep the tolls. I don't use that road so why would I want my gas tax and property tax to go up because u don't wanna a toll. I say look at it like a user fee. You ride it. You help pay for the upkeep. Not me. Other states are establishing toll roads to keep taxes down. Wv should do the same.

Location hidden

#9 Feb 22, 2013
Federal and State gasoline taxes pays for the upkeep of I-77, then you are saying those that use I-77 should not pay taxes when they buy gas on I-77.
get it straight

United States

#10 Feb 23, 2013
Jack_4ral wrote:
Federal and State gasoline taxes pays for the upkeep of I-77, then you are saying those that use I-77 should not pay taxes when they buy gas on I-77.
I'm saying that fuel tax goes toward the other "34 thousand miles" of wv roads like I-77 not the 88 miles of the "turnpike" that is connected to I-77. And I'm not going to pay more taxes of any sort just because someone doesn't want to pay a toll for a road I don't use. Other states have tolls to keep there taxes down like.... Maine New York Pennsylvania Ohio Illinois North Carolina Virginia Oklahoma Texas Florida New Jersey ect.... So why do you want to pay more for your gas? It's bad enough. Let the commercial traffic and out of state people pay for maintaining that road. Not us West Virginians!

Location hidden

#11 Feb 24, 2013
get, the Toll tax is paying for the Toll collectors, they are State employees' with Health care and retirement benefits, if you say to keep 1-77 as a Toll road so these State employees' can have a job and contribute to the State economy by the Taxpayers then I see no problem with it.
Billy Goat Gruff

Dunbar, WV

#12 Feb 24, 2013
I support all troll removals
true

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 24, 2013
I've travelled the turnpike for 30 years they waste so much money it's pitiful a couple of summers ago they used a grinder to remove the lines then painted them in the places they ground off instead of just painting them like every other road such a waste
Toney

Huntington, WV

#14 Feb 24, 2013
get it straight wrote:
<quoted text>I'm saying that fuel tax goes toward the other "34 thousand miles" of wv roads like I-77 not the 88 miles of the "turnpike" that is connected to I-77. And I'm not going to pay more taxes of any sort just because someone doesn't want to pay a toll for a road I don't use. Other states have tolls to keep there taxes down like.... Maine New York Pennsylvania Ohio Illinois North Carolina Virginia Oklahoma Texas Florida New Jersey ect.... So why do you want to pay more for your gas? It's bad enough. Let the commercial traffic and out of state people pay for maintaining that road. Not us West Virginians!
How would you like for the road that goes in front of your house to be a toll road? Let me explain how this works you buy gas in Oak Hill in goes towards all the roads in WV not just the ones you drive on. Those taxes you pay on your gas are State and Federal taxes so in a way you are paying for roads in other states when you pay the federal taxes on your gas. Then you drive on the toll road, which has been incorporated into the Eisenhower Interstate Highway system once it came up to the Interstate Highway standards, 4 lanes, off ramps and a certain width. When you are on the WV turnpike the I-77 signs are all up and down the toll road. There is federal and state funds paying for the maintenance plus very little of the toll money collected. The money from the tolls pays for the employees that drive the trucks that maintain the highway, the people that collect tolls, over paid people on the turnpike commission and a lot of the money goes into that wasted money pit the tamarack. What ticks me off if they are going to have it a toll road everybody that drives on it should have to pay. Between the three mainline toll booths you can get on one exit get off the next and go around the mainline booth get on the next and drive a few exits down and get off again and not pay a dime. Either make everybody pay or take the booths out. We pay enough taxes on our gas in this state we don't need toll roads. We have one of the highest gas taxes in the county.
taxpayer

Mount Hope, WV

#15 Feb 24, 2013
i agree!!! the tamarack should support itself or lock the doors!!! toll booths removed. i read somewhere it would take 20 million to take each set of tollbooths down, i believe i could do it a hell of a lot cheaper.
Toney

Huntington, WV

#16 Feb 24, 2013
taxpayer wrote:
i agree!!! the tamarack should support itself or lock the doors!!! toll booths removed. i read somewhere it would take 20 million to take each set of tollbooths down, i believe i could do it a hell of a lot cheaper.
I would remove the booths for nothing. I could probably make enough from the scrap to cover my costs and then some. They could do like they have done in a lot of other places on the turnpike dig a hole push them in it and cover them up. They have done that with a lot of trash, guard rails and such on turn pike. You couldn't do it because the EPA would have you arrested and give you life in prison.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joey Fife (May '13) 6 min Loveboat 14
Trump First 100 Days: More Bullshit 8 min LOSER 15
Why is my posts being deleted?? 18 min Firefly2 12
News Trump supporters cheer his combative stance wit... 18 min Not his fault 1,461
When I say Tom you say Clark 36 min Lester 2
Just saw a lady fall at the Outback 40 min Dingo 1
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 56 min Sheesh 4,081

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charleston Mortgages