Gates in Putney Riding Area

Posted in the Charleston Forum

Concerned

Charleston, WV

#1 Dec 23, 2012
What is the reason for the gates being put up by Dickerson Land Group... We have all rode that area are whole life and now they are acting like no one it allowed in there.. I don't get it
lawer

Charleston, WV

#2 Dec 23, 2012
one word LAWSUITS
Creeker

Charleston, WV

#3 Dec 23, 2012
Yep ATV's are pushed on people to buy but where
you get to ride them is very limited. I'm confused about the laws on themm - I see people everyday driving on them on the main road. some I see driving "off" the road or even pushing them to get to a "hollow" to ride.

I really don't know anyplace that is legal for them other than your own property - for YES if a person gets hurt riding one on someone else's property I guess they can sue the owner"
eastern kanawha valley

Belle, WV

#4 Dec 25, 2012
ive heard that they are wanting to turn that into a hunting club with dues paid every year, might not be a bad idea if they make a camping area where people around here who cant afford their own camps can set up a campers out there and leave them without having them destroyed. anyone could afford a couple hundred bucks a a year, , if that were the case people would be lined up. look at lick run hunting club in webster county web site. i be all for it
get off

Dunbar, WV

#5 Dec 25, 2012
Concerned wrote:
What is the reason for the gates being put up by Dickerson Land Group... We have all rode that area are whole life and now they are acting like no one it allowed in there.. I don't get it
It's called land-owner rights, you have been trespassing all these yrs and they are fed up.
Concerned

Charleston, WV

#6 Dec 25, 2012
get off wrote:
<quoted text>It's called land-owner rights, you have been trespassing all these yrs and they are fed up.
I have no Problem getting off there little piece of land... But putting gates up on dirt roads that are on county maps is BS....Those roads are public... A friend of mine has some property up there and used to have a cabin and they have him locked out...

As far as turning some of that property into a hunting or riding club and paying dues...Im all for it...

Sadly most of the good ole boys that have been up there most of there life won't stand for it and will do what they please... It will be a constant battle for them to keep people from riding
I have seen it at least twice in my time...Gates go up and tourches come out...
Howdy

Belle, WV

#7 Dec 26, 2012
I don't understand why gates have been put up. Doesn't the county or state still own most of the land? Maybe they're getting ready to build a hunting camp or clean it up in hopes of bringing Putney back to life again in the future.
Gun Owner

Wilson, NC

#8 Dec 26, 2012
I would like to know myself. I know they are putting gates up over towards blue creek and sanderson. The gas company is tired of having their wells destroyed by idiots up there trying to make a buck scraping metal.
Concerned

Charleston, WV

#9 Dec 27, 2012
Gun Owner wrote:
I would like to know myself. I know they are putting gates up over towards blue creek and sanderson. The gas company is tired of having their wells destroyed by idiots up there trying to make a buck scraping metal.
The gates are not from Gas Company at all....
Gun Owner

Wilson, NC

#10 Dec 27, 2012
I know the ones on the campbells creek side are not. Just stating the blue creek side are gas company gates.
Rita

Charleston, WV

#11 Apr 22, 2013
what is the name of the gas company up there? does anyone know?
wow

Charleston, WV

#12 Apr 22, 2013
ride on yer own property. if ya have none. saty off mine
info

Charleston, WV

#13 Apr 22, 2013
Kanawha County was allowed to decide ATV laws themselves

1. ATV to be titled and insured
2. Operator needs license
3. Can only cross a public road to get to a trail
4. Cannot ride up the hollows, on back roads, gravel roads if they are "public"
5. If coal companies don't want you on their land, it's trespassing
6. Oh and must wear a helmet and lights working after dark.

Now where the heck can a person legally ride these things? Almost noplace except in your yard.

Many people don't have operators, can't afford insurance and just wanna go hunting. Problem is some CRAP - wants to go in the hills owned by coal companies and rob and destroy. SO A FEW BAD GUYS ruins it for the rest.

In some counties in WV

You don't need operators or helmet
you may ride on any road that is one lane road
you may ride on a road that doesn't have a center line
(State set those rules but Kanawha County Commission are butt holes - PERHAPS all riders could write letters or go to public meetings about the problem.
Whitey

Charleston, WV

#14 Apr 22, 2013
I kust carry my master key. Bolt cutters
ktm300

United States

#15 Apr 23, 2013
get off wrote:
<quoted text>It's called land-owner rights, you have been trespassing all these yrs and they are fed up.
Y'all r just up tight old stuberning jack asses tht don't want people to have fun cause u can't do it any more....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What was your worst dining experience in Charle... 16 min dried 2
Trikett retiring with 5 concussions 17 min wombat 14
What do black people get for Christmas? 25 min CHARLESTON SUXX 21
Supreme Court Of Crooks 1 hr Putnam Johnny 5
Givens machine shop 1 hr Helen 17
Clint Eastwood will die lonely and miserable 1 hr Good Citizen 11
Just found out my fiance dated a black man 1 hr Good Citizen 39
Charleston Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web