Philippi Council considering welcome ...

Philippi Council considering welcome center

There are 21 comments on the The Inter-Mountain story from Jul 16, 2013, titled Philippi Council considering welcome center. In it, The Inter-Mountain reports that:

If the new vision becomes reality, anyone who crosses the Philippi Covered Bridge could eventually see a new Civil War-themed mural, a visitors center equipped with a cafe and a planned photo location for visitors that could have the signature bridge in its backdrop.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Inter-Mountain.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Patti Page

Fayetteville, NC

#1 Jul 26, 2013
That concept sounds wonderful! I may make Philippi my home again one of these days and I love the thought of new things being done to improve the appearance of that sweet town.

Since: Jul 13

Morgantown, WV

#2 Jul 27, 2013
This is a great idea visitor's center , cafe , mural and our beautiful Covered Bridge as a backdrop . Philippi is a beautiful place to live and we should show her off . A cafe with a setting area facing the water with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of tea in your hand and just relax sounds great that's how you welcome people to Philippi . Great Idea . The Covered Bridge needs a face lift some fresh paint some TLC and the the Bridge would be a GREAT back drop .Maybe the Philippi Council can find out WHY this has not been done yet .
MAYBE

Salem, WV

#3 Jul 27, 2013
DAVINCI2 wrote:
This is a great idea visitor's center , cafe , mural and our beautiful Covered Bridge as a backdrop . Philippi is a beautiful place to live and we should show her off . A cafe with a setting area facing the water with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of tea in your hand and just relax sounds great that's how you welcome people to Philippi . Great Idea . The Covered Bridge needs a face lift some fresh paint some TLC and the the Bridge would be a GREAT back drop .Maybe the Philippi Council can find out WHY this has not been done yet .
Maybe you can ask city council where the $164,000 are that they received in a grant to repair and fix the bridge only about 3 or 4 years ago where is the money for that project MAYBE !

Morgantown, WV

#4 Jul 27, 2013
That was the question I was asking . Was hoping someone in the Philippi Council would have the answer no one else seems to know .I think it was about 2 1/2 years ago that the city got the monies to repair the bridge. I really hope we do get a welcome center with all the trimmings to show off the bridge and Philippi itself the people of Philippi deserve it .
RealTalk

Charleston, WV

#5 Jul 27, 2013
BlkBarbie and DeeDee would be amazing hosts at a welcome center cause they are so much prettier than filthy hillbillies.

Morgantown, WV

#6 Jul 27, 2013
RealTalk, Words HURT If you had any feelings you would know that . And what do you have against hillbillies did your Grandparents not tell you where they came from. Better shake your Family Tree before you call names .
MAYBE

Morgantown, WV

#7 Jul 28, 2013
DAVINCI2 wrote:
That was the question I was asking . Was hoping someone in the Philippi Council would have the answer no one else seems to know .I think it was about 2 1/2 years ago that the city got the monies to repair the bridge. I really hope we do get a welcome center with all the trimmings to show off the bridge and Philippi itself the people of Philippi deserve it .
MAYBE, this is what you should do first, go to the Barbour Democrat and get the back issue with the bridge and the story of the $164,000 in grant money, and ask your City Council where the money is, if you don't get an answer then mail the article with your concerns to the State Ethics Commission & the Govener's Office of Constituent Services in Charleston. Or you can be like everybody else, and do nothing, except wonder where is the money and why is nothing being done. Maybe ?
Ohhh My

Philippi, WV

#8 Jul 28, 2013
The grant money for the bridge was given to the state department of highway, not the city of Philippi. The bridge and Maple ave. Are state roads.
RealTalk

Charleston, WV

#9 Jul 28, 2013
DAVINCI2 wrote:
RealTalk, Words HURT If you had any feelings you would know that . And what do you have against hillbillies did your Grandparents not tell you where they came from. Better shake your Family Tree before you call names .
My relatives are from Africa and Detroit. You stoopid jealous hillbilly rednecks need to recognize that this is the NEW WV and you're a passing fad. BlkBarbie and DeeDee and Ashley aren't from here. They drive nice cars so you s just jealous cause their hair is long and naturally straight and have real boobies and are rich.
so what

Morgantown, WV

#10 Jul 28, 2013
RealTalk wrote:
<quoted text>
My relatives are from Africa and Detroit. You stoopid jealous hillbilly rednecks need to recognize that this is the NEW WV and you're a passing fad. BlkBarbie and DeeDee and Ashley aren't from here. They drive nice cars so you s just jealous cause their hair is long and naturally straight and have real boobies and are rich.
They could have everything in the world and they would still be inferior. They're black.
MAYBE

Clarksburg, WV

#11 Jul 28, 2013
Ohhh My wrote:
The grant money for the bridge was given to the state department of highway, not the city of Philippi. The bridge and Maple ave. Are state roads.
Maybe you should re-read the article, the money was to be used for the COVERED BRIDGE not for the incompetent Dept. of Highways if that we're the case they might as well just thrown the $164,000 off the bridge and let it float down to Grafton, they got ALL of main street paved, where is the MONEY ? I lived on Maple Ave. for almost 20 years it is NOT a state road, just ask City Council unless of course you are a member of City Council then the question remains where is the MONEY ?
Eyes wide open

Clarksburg, WV

#12 Jul 28, 2013
RealTalk wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG.... You are the worst kind of idiot!!!!! Go back to Africia or Detroit. You aren't wanted here.

PS. I drive a very nice car, my hair is long and straight, I have real boobies and I'm not hurting for money so shut the F up!!!!
RealTalk

Charleston, WV

#13 Jul 28, 2013
so what wrote:
<quoted text>They could have everything in the world and they would still be inferior. They're black.
Your just jealous if BlkBarbie and DeeDees and Ashley's life cause they are rich and have naturally straight hair and real curves and drive nice cars. They donate all of their old clothes to Salvation Army cause the Salvation Army won't resale them to homos or hobos. See what I did there? We're still laughing in your poor zit picked face, redneck. We are the superior race and we breed like rabbit as and have the govt. pay for it all. Deal with it. You creekers are a dying breed.

R.I.P. Detroit.
Ohhh My

Philippi, WV

#14 Jul 28, 2013
Maybe. You are correct it was given to restore the bridge ... To the D.O.H. I am not a council member, and Maple is a state road ask any city road crew. That is why they do not plow the snow on it.
1 post removed
Pondering View

United States

#16 Aug 4, 2013
If Maple Ave. is maintainted by DOH why are there pieces of rusted pipe, from at least 1968 bent and hanging over wall that is at least a 30 ft. drop into somebody's side yard in N. Philippi I would have thought after that many years the WV DOH could have installed REAL gaurdrails Really how har could it be unless of course they don't maintain Maple Ave. as stated in other posts, or maybe they're to busy plowing the snow PLEASE try and come up with a better excuse.
Old Guy

Clarksburg, WV

#17 Aug 11, 2013
Should someone in Philippi check into this group who is controlling the dollars? Might be a story there!!
Roving Reporter

Clarksburg, WV

#18 Aug 11, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
Should someone in Philippi check into this group who is controlling the dollars? Might be a story there!!
"Old Guy" It goes something like this so pay attention, the GROUP is City Coucil they recevied the $164,000 for the bridge and used it for other "items" that money is loooooong gone, and the citizen's never knew it happened. They brought in an auditer last summer fired a couple of City employees and that was just about all anybody heard of the "MONEY" problems these are ALL facts just ask around. Corruption is as DEEP as the water is at the Bluehole in Arden YOU can bet on it !
Old Guy

Clarksburg, WV

#19 Aug 12, 2013
Thanks for the info Roving Reporter. I was told recently that there was a "Committee/Group/etc " responsibe to coordinate the bridge repairs. Not the State, but a local group. Thanks again. Your info is invaluable.
curious george

Shinnston, WV

#20 Aug 12, 2013
I need to catch up with this a little. Who gave the grant in the first place and is that person/organization aware that the money did not go to where it was intended? I f any person or group of people decide to do something for the bridge, save a paint bucket and a brush for me, please. I think it'd be great for the community if lots of folks pitched in and did some work on the bridge. This city needs something to come together on. Something to jointly take some pride in. Wouldn't it be wonderful if that would happen? It'd sure send a message to certain people wouldn't it?
MAYBE

Clarksburg, WV

#21 Aug 12, 2013
curious george wrote:
I need to catch up with this a little. Who gave the grant in the first place and is that person/organization aware that the money did not go to where it was intended? I f any person or group of people decide to do something for the bridge, save a paint bucket and a brush for me, please. I think it'd be great for the community if lots of folks pitched in and did some work on the bridge. This city needs something to come together on. Something to jointly take some pride in. Wouldn't it be wonderful if that would happen? It'd sure send a message to certain people wouldn't it?
As stated before go to Barbour Publishing Co. and ask the staff for a copy of the issue that tells Who,Where,When & Why the grant money was awarded. Then at YOUR next City Council meeting YOU can ask them. Lots of citizens would like that answer!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 5 min Again n Again 1,475
Prison control to inmate Holbert 6 min Go and die 7
Spa bliss 14 min woody 16
Look out drunk drivers the snitch is going back... 17 min Go and die 7
Kudos To WSAZ, et al ; For Airing New CDC /PSA ... 1 hr Rhonda 2
Lewis and Clark 1 hr Hmmmm 3
Kanawha Electric Sucks 1 hr Mac Daddy 10

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance