Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

PINEVILLE, W.Va.
In late June of this year, an expression of Pineville’s values appeared on the terraced lawn of the old courthouse. There was no fanfare around the installation of the new stone monument, but like that Kennedy rally more than half a century ago, it was a way of saying how the town felt about where the nation is headed.
The stone is engraved with the Ten Commandments.
The American Civil Liberties Union has complained that this is an encroachment of church on state, and an affront to religious minorities.
But most here seem to agree with Melissa Mitchell, a stay-at-home mom who was getting things organized for a midsummer church picnic at a park near the courthouse.
“We love it, and we will fight for it,” she said of the stone marker.
Why?“Honestly, because everybody in this county hates Barack Obama. That is the biggest reason,” Mitchell said.
Animosity toward President Obama runs high here. He lost Wyoming County by nearly 56 percentage points last year, despite the fact that registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by 3 to 1.
But as Mitchell and her friends talked more about it, their conversation turned to fears and anxieties that had little to do with party or politics. They discussed the well-paying jobs that had vanished with the coal industry; the crime and drugs that followed; the changing culture that mocks what they hold sacred.
Ordinary West Virginians used to look to Washington with something close to reverence. It was a partner in good times, a lifeline in bad ones, a powerful ally against the big corporations that came for its coal and timber.
In 2012, that trendline cut more deeply. Obama lost the seven West Virginia counties he had carried in 2008. It marked the first time that a major party’s presidential candidate suffered a 55-county shutout.
“People haven’t changed here. People are still the same,” said Sen. Joe Manchin III, a former West Virginia governor.“But I’ve never seen more people pushed away from their traditional Democratic roots or their voting habits than in the last six or seven years.” Manchin has put that fraying bond to the test, having sponsored gun-control legislation that failed in the Senate this year.
Next year’s elections could mark a historic hinge in West Virginia politics. Sen. John D. Rockefeller IV (D), a traditional liberal forged by the Great Society, has announced that he will not run for a sixth term.
His most likely successor is Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, the daughter of a three-term governor, who would be the first Republican that West Virginia elected to the Senate since 1956. Although Capito is considered a heavy favorite, Democrats came up with a strong contender when Secretary of State Natalie Tennant formally entered the race.
Meanwhile, Rep. Nick J. Rahall II, an 18-term congressman and the last surviving Democrat in the state’s House delegation, is facing what many expect to be his most difficult reelection contest.
Rahall has emphasized his differences with the Democratic president over coal, abortion, guns, same-sex marriage and immigration. But he said that the national party’s stances are a growing liability for Democrats here, and asked,“How many more red flags do I have to have on my back?”
Nearly 27 percent of West Virginia’s personal income derives from transfer payments, including retirement, disability, medical, unemployment and welfare benefits, according to statistics compiled by Timothy Parker of the U.S. Agriculture Department’s Economic Research Service.
The day after Kennedy was inaugurated, he fulfilled a campaign promise made in West Virginia to use his first executive order to begin the food stamp program. Its first vouchers went to a laid-off miner and his wife from Paynesville, who had 13 children still living at home.
Almost one in five West Virginians receives food stamps today.
see more here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/201...
pwn

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

....yawn....

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

So some fundies want to violate the constitution and have some ramblings from an ancient book of superstitions erected at a courthouse and they blame Obama for it... Okay.

In further news, I had a flat today. Thanks Obama!
paybacks hurt

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

if I was Obama i would do nothing to help this state, when all you do is mock him...but we all know it is race related, like tea party
nobody

Parkersburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

paybacks hurt wrote:
if I was Obama i would do nothing to help this state, when all you do is mock him...but we all know it is race related, like tea party
Do you even understand what the Tea Party is, or are you just repeating buzzwords that you heard on the news? They have absolutely nothing to do with race whatsoever. It isn't their fault minorities and liberals don't understand economics and the tax system. I mean look at you, typical clueless liberal, jabbering about stupid shit you know nothing about. The Tea Party isn't some racist White Nationalist organization, they just want a more limited federal government and less taxes. This is all. No one is preaching racism or racial separatism at Tea Party rallies. People accuse the right of being racist almost constantly, but it should be obvious that 99% of mainstream Republican politicians would never touch a racial issue with a ten foot pole in 100 years. Not going to happen, ever.
Joseph

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

I like Obama ok. I just don't like what he stands or and think he is bad for the country. I didn't vote for him but would drink a beer with him. I think he is in ay over his head.
tea party

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

want limited government but just enough to make sure they control a womans right to choose to have a child or not!

Tea party is a bunch a whiners, could not get their way in election so they close the government.

tea party movement is history...first test Virginia
will show...
Wally

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

paybacks hurt wrote:
Got that from your chrystal ball I guess. It can't be race related because I have a bad leg.
Wally

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

I don't hate him but do feel sorry for him because I think he is racist. He has set the black people back 50 yrs.
no doubt

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

Judged:

What's to like about an incompetent racist.

The least knowledgeable about any subject in any room he enters. What a real loser.
nobody

Parkersburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

tea party wrote:
want limited government but just enough to make sure they control a womans right to choose to have a child or not!
Tea party is a bunch a whiners, could not get their way in election so they close the government.
tea party movement is history...first test Virginia
will show...
Abortion is hardly a mainstream issue on the right. This is from an impartial observer, strictly center isle. No one wants to chain women up in the kitchen forcing them to have their rape babies. This only exists in the minds of borderline retarded liberals, not reality.
tea party

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

Look at Texas law that got shot down, Texas is the
hub of Tea party crap...Rick Perry, and the rest.

every tea party gathering I have seen has "stop abortion" all over signs the people are carrying.

see how well Virginia Governors election goes...tea party on the decline,,,had your time blew it with shutdown
Pro-U S Constitution

Logan, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

We the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the U.S. Constitution, but to overthrow Men who Pervert the U.S. Constitution. Abe Lincoln. Those who hate Barack Obama also hate the U.S. Constitution. Overthrow those that would Pervert our U.S. Constitution be they members of the Tea Party or the Republican Party, they are one and the same.
Charles Manson

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

Pro-U S Constitution wrote:
We the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the U.S. Constitution, but to overthrow Men who Pervert the U.S. Constitution. Abe Lincoln. Those who hate Barack Obama also hate the U.S. Constitution. Overthrow those that would Pervert our U.S. Constitution be they members of the Tea Party or the Republican Party, they are one and the same.
You certainly are stump broken aren't you Goat Boi. I can see you have been pumped in your Keister. Keep on backing up and you will get it again.

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

paybacks hurt wrote:
It is. And they really think the rich white guys in the tea party are going to make them rich, too.
caveman

Saint Albans, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

so the tea party took place over the independents who vote' that puts me out so they will be a tea party lever to pull next election
Scout

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

Obama is nothing more than an ignorant Uncle Tom for the liberal establishment. It was a perfect plan: Get some Coon to run for President, and then when everything went to hell, scream racism as loud as possible. Stupid Americans are in great fear of being called racists and so no one says anything.

We're all racists in one way or another so stop with the BS.

Fact is that no city nor nation in the world run by Blacks has prospered. From Detroit to Africa, they're all hell holes. America will soon be no different.

Uncle Ted

Ona, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Scout wrote:
Obama is nothing more than an ignorant Uncle Tom for the liberal establishment. It was a perfect plan: Get some Coon to run for President, and then when everything went to hell, scream racism as loud as possible. Stupid Americans are in great fear of being called racists and so no one says anything.
We're all racists in one way or another so stop with the BS.
Fact is that no city nor nation in the world run by Blacks has prospered. From Detroit to Africa, they're all hell holes. America will soon be no different.
The only part of Detroit run by blacks was Motown Records, and it was quite successful. Africa is not a country or a city so I don't see the relevance there. Egypt has had some ups and downs.
What would be the white conservative equivalent of an uncle Tom? My guess is, it's somebody who doesn't believe that even exists, much less realize they are it. Probably some poor indoctrinated lackey for the wealthy and powerful, who is easily divided and conquered by his fear and hatred of anyone different....Someone convinced he is a "true patriot" although that is ridiculous because a true patriot would believe in equality, and liberty and justice for all, and could not be a racist.
Scout

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

Detroit has been a predominantly Black government for many years now. Top Blacks have been Tried again and again.
Little Willie

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

no doubt wrote:
What's to like about an incompetent racist.
The least knowledgeable about any subject in any room he enters. What a real loser.
We realized that after reading your post.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Charleston Forum right now

Search the Charleston Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 4 min Mgtn Res 53,520
bigbellies and big bottoms 4 min mr skinny 1
Plants! Just Quit! 16 min Hmmm 6
Felony charges dismissed against Charleston att... 22 min No-one 7
Mark Plants arrested again 36 min Local John 3
Regional jail inmate dies after altercation 52 min 2DiNks4AdOiNk 31
Slumlords in the area (Jul '13) 2 hr OLD TENANT 27
What happened to chase carter 4 hr spidey 58
dirty girl mud 5 k 4 hr I stopped giving 12
•••
•••
•••
•••