Mingo turned upside down

Mingo turned upside down

There are 36 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Sep 22, 2013, titled Mingo turned upside down. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

Recent federal charges in Mingo County have county residents hoping -- and maybe believing -- that decades of political corruption could come to an end.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Right

Winfield, WV

#1 Sep 22, 2013
End of corruption? This makes me laugh. It is a political takeover carefully orchestrated by "the other Democratic party". The people of Mingo County know and understand this. Why speak out? What good will it do? Politics in Mingo is "fixed" now. You have taken down the members of the "other" party, and they will never run against them again. Smith is Sheriff, Hannah will be Commissioner. And the other slots that are emptied by this will still be "hand-picked". Fools, do not think the voters do not see what has happened! Ever wonder why they interview the people on the street that they do? Cream of the crop, lol, people that do not care what happens as long as their SSI or Welfare drops each month.
opinion

Lexington, KY

#2 Sep 22, 2013
This is not a take over by anyone.If people pay very close attention to what is talked about in public forums and arrests?They ll find that the Fbi are investigating all of our complaints as they can work.Everyone involved will pay 1 price or another.Some more than others because of the positions the uppers held.
CyberRick

Kodak, TN

#3 Sep 22, 2013
Like everybody didn't already know that Williamson was crooked. Just because they are finally catching these elected criminals doesn't change the fact that it's been turned upside down since the early 90's.
mike58

Concord, NC

#4 Sep 22, 2013
since the early 90"s my a%% try the 70"s buying votes drugs i was there grew up there in the 70"s get out now is the best they any one can do there is more to life than those mts. give your kids a chance for a better life i did best they i ever did give it back to va. if they would have it. i am talking about the whole state
Right

Winfield, WV

#5 Sep 22, 2013
opinion wrote:
This is not a take over by anyone.If people pay very close attention to what is talked about in public forums and arrests?They ll find that the Fbi are investigating all of our complaints as they can work.Everyone involved will pay 1 price or another.Some more than others because of the positions the uppers held.
Well, let's play "Wait and See" for how the county political machine "helps the people" after all is said and done. I personally could care less right now. It is how it has been and always will be. I am disgusted by the "righteous" on here, I personally do not feel any "Lawyer" in Williamson is untouched in one way or another by the political bosses that have been known for years. I am not holding my breath thinking a Saviour will arrive to lead us into a future that is full of sunshine and roses. Nothing will change but the name plates on the doors, as always. They are screaming, "Fire everyone, all knew and are related to the crooks!" OK, so replace them with all that know and are related to the new official, lol. Cannot wait to wade thru the next 3 years after the "replacements" arrive, should be interesting.
Hmm

Seymour, TN

#6 Sep 22, 2013
Right wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let's play "Wait and See" for how the county political machine "helps the people" after all is said and done. I personally could care less right now. It is how it has been and always will be. I am disgusted by the "righteous" on here, I personally do not feel any "Lawyer" in Williamson is untouched in one way or another by the political bosses that have been known for years. I am not holding my breath thinking a Saviour will arrive to lead us into a future that is full of sunshine and roses. Nothing will change but the name plates on the doors, as always. They are screaming, "Fire everyone, all knew and are related to the crooks!" OK, so replace them with all that know and are related to the new official, lol. Cannot wait to wade thru the next 3 years after the "replacements" arrive, should be interesting.
I must say my Dear Fellow or Lady you are 100% correct on your observation..
Bill

Charleston, WV

#7 Sep 22, 2013
DO NOT talk about Lonnie, Ihave not heard of the F.B.I. investigating him. You must be part of Team Mingo. I think it is so funny how no one seems to be a member of Team Mingo.I sure do remember seeing group pictures.I think Sparky is the one who thought up the name. He seems to get amnesia a lot these days.
Right

Winfield, WV

#8 Sep 22, 2013
Bill wrote:
DO NOT talk about Lonnie, Ihave not heard of the F.B.I. investigating him. You must be part of Team Mingo. I think it is so funny how no one seems to be a member of Team Mingo.I sure do remember seeing group pictures.I think Sparky is the one who thought up the name. He seems to get amnesia a lot these days.
I did not "talk about" Lonnie. I only stated the obvious.
no doubt

Charleston, WV

#9 Sep 22, 2013
Right wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you are wrong, but my fear is that you will be right. It is hard to accept that there are no good people who can or who will run Mingo County. Do you have any suggestions of possible candidates for any future vacancies? People who have scruples?
Usin code name

Atascadero, CA

#10 Sep 22, 2013
I have to agree with Mike on this one!Mingo county has been crooked as far back as I can remember.I moved away in 84 sounds like nothing has changed.It has always been about who you know and how much money you have.I have always wondered how good the sports teams would be if they played the kids that could actually play ball, instead of playing the kids who's parents have status in the county.Growing up I always saw really good players setting on the bench while people of status kids were on the court.Unless you were really really exceptional.Heck the Cubpack and the Wolfpack would of had a ton of state championships at this point.The coachs always sucked up to the parents of the kids who had status in the community.So friggin sad.
Usin code name

Atascadero, CA

#11 Sep 22, 2013
I remember in practice putting the moves on those kids like they were in 1st grade.But when their was a game I was setting on the bench.I became so frustrated I quit.I wasn't the only one that felt that way.Their were tons of great players in that area that were always benched for parents kids that were more popular in the community.It is the same with the political aspect in that area.It is such a beautiful area to be controlled by a bunch of aholes.
Usin code name

Atascadero, CA

#12 Sep 22, 2013
You will never have a good community until you put people in office that knows what it is like to work for a dollar.And they are a God fearing person that treats everyone equal no matter what race they are or how much money they make.Most of those people there that are in office have never had to really work for a hard dollar their entire lives.They all have their own personal agenda,It is all about what they can do for themselves or their friends,the common man doesn't stand a chance.In the 70'sand early 80's I personally witnessed thousands of dollars changing hands at the election polls.Heck I thought it was the norm until I moved away and saw how things were done in other states.Their is no place in America as crooked as southern West Virginia.
Night Train

Nettie, WV

#13 Sep 23, 2013
Usin code name wrote:
You will never have a good community until you put people in office that knows what it is like to work for a dollar.And they are a God fearing person that treats everyone equal no matter what race they are or how much money they make.Most of those people there that are in office have never had to really work for a hard dollar their entire lives.They all have their own personal agenda,It is all about what they can do for themselves or their friends,the common man doesn't stand a chance.In the 70'sand early 80's I personally witnessed thousands of dollars changing hands at the election polls.Heck I thought it was the norm until I moved away and saw how things were done in other states.Their is no place in America as crooked as southern West Virginia.
Can't do better if you don't know better. This judge and his boys made people feel that if they rocked the boat they could end up in jail...or dead. People with nowhere to turn sometimes get fed up and seek their own justice. Like the guy that shot the sheriff maybe. I wish the Feds would try that bunch under the RICO Act. I just hope that judge gets sent to a real federal prison like Atl. and not some fancy tennis court, buffet style prison with a line painted on the ground instead of a fence prison. He deserves hard time with the big boys. We'll see.
Marvin Vernatter

AOL

#14 Sep 23, 2013
After returning from a trip to Mingo Central high School and the completed section of the King Coal Highway I found the article Mingo ‘turned upside down’ in the Sunday Gazette-Mail and had to laugh.

When I had driven to the southern end of the King Coal I saw the construction equipment parked by Alpha’s Guard shack and far in the distance I could see some yellow equipment that I thought was either a coal to gas plant or a concrete batch plant, either one would be fine, both would be better.

The notion that Mingo is turned upside down and that the future is uncertain for the weakened southern county is silly. Pruning weak branches from the political tree will make it stronger. It is also very foolish to suggest that the State of West Virginia and the Democrat Party can’t find enough people to run a county with a population of 20,000. In other words Mr. US Attorney, send a bus for the whole team. We will not ask how things managed to get this bad.

The citizen cannot expect the legal system to do everything. It may provide an opportunity for improvement but the follow through is up to us. Now is time for all the mothers who stand in the drive way and cry as they watch their grand children leave, so their parents can return to work in another state, to demand better. Our county has a bright future.
how lovely you are

Charleston, WV

#15 Sep 23, 2013
Marvin Vernatter wrote:
After returning from a trip to Mingo Central high School and the completed section of the King Coal Highway I found the article Mingo ‘turned upside down’ in the Sunday Gazette-Mail and had to laugh.
When I had driven to the southern end of the King Coal I saw the construction equipment parked by Alpha’s Guard shack and far in the distance I could see some yellow equipment that I thought was either a coal to gas plant or a concrete batch plant, either one would be fine, both would be better.
The notion that Mingo is turned upside down and that the future is uncertain for the weakened southern county is silly. Pruning weak branches from the political tree will make it stronger. It is also very foolish to suggest that the State of West Virginia and the Democrat Party can’t find enough people to run a county with a population of 20,000. In other words Mr. US Attorney, send a bus for the whole team. We will not ask how things managed to get this bad.
The citizen cannot expect the legal system to do everything. It may provide an opportunity for improvement but the follow through is up to us. Now is time for all the mothers who stand in the drive way and cry as they watch their grand children leave, so their parents can return to work in another state, to demand better. Our county has a bright future.
Well, you can paint a pretty picture, and that's about it. Mingo County has been a cesspool of corruption for so many years, the really good people there are from the same families, generations of families, and they have grown up seeing and hearing about "the bad guys will get you, so mind your own business and keep your mouth shut." That is what is normal for the really good people there, sir. The politicians there are mean and bad, as are the people they surround themselves with. The fact you saw heavy equipment and some kind of plant doesn't mean squat for the people there. Look around at the place. Do you see signs of progress or prospering? Why don't you go to the next commissioner meeting and tell this to the people? Might give them some hope. But, you will say it here on topix and think your pretty words are going to make a difference to those people. Which faction are you with? The bad one, or the bad one?

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#16 Sep 23, 2013
Marvin Vernatter wrote:
This is so very well stated! Most of us are equal opportunity corruption busters. ALL of us should be! Corruption and nepotism should not be tolerated. I am sick of the whiners that want to make this a "Truman vs. Team Mingo" issue. Get it through your thick heads! This is about right vs. wrong and legal vs. illegal. Now, are we Mingo citizens going to continue forth with our fatalistic attitudes about government? Are we going to continue with our feelings of apathy and hopelessness? We can all take a measure of blame. We have allowed our elected leaders to totally subjugate our citizens in every way imaginable. They have subverted our election process. When some of you go to the polls again, are you going to vote for clones of the ones forcibly removed from office because you were promised a load of gravel or a job? Or will you have enough sense to vote for someone that promises nothing but a fair and equal opportunity and good government for all?
wow oh wow

Ridgeview, WV

#17 Sep 23, 2013
This is just crazy!!!!!!
Hagatha May has no cents

Charleston, WV

#18 Sep 23, 2013
wow oh wow wrote:
This is just crazy!!!!!!
What are you talking about that is so crazy?

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#19 Sep 23, 2013
Hagatha May has no cents wrote:
<quoted text> What are you talking about that is so crazy?
Hagatha May probably has no money,(cents), and for certain, she has no intellect,(sense). What is your point? You are on the wrong thread.

Perhaps you can find her/him/it and share grammar tips and insults.
Usin code name

Arroyo Grande, CA

#20 Sep 23, 2013
how lovely you are wrote:
<quoted text> Well, you can paint a pretty picture, and that's about it. Mingo County has been a cesspool of corruption for so many years, the really good people there are from the same families, generations of families, and they have grown up seeing and hearing about "the bad guys will get you, so mind your own business and keep your mouth shut." That is what is normal for the really good people there, sir. The politicians there are mean and bad, as are the people they surround themselves with. The fact you saw heavy equipment and some kind of plant doesn't mean squat for the people there. Look around at the place. Do you see signs of progress or prospering? Why don't you go to the next commissioner meeting and tell this to the people? Might give them some hope. But, you will say it here on topix and think your pretty words are going to make a difference to those people. Which faction are you with? The bad one, or the bad one?
I totally agree some people see what they want to see,that is part of the problem.The old saying can't see the forest for the trees comes to mind.As long as their world is xanadu they believe everyone"s is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What if Mexico refuses to pay for wall? 44 min FOVR 151
Pastor Tom Clark 50 min Michelle St James 9
Wow, I cant believe you are gone 1 hr City Guy 4
Jesus is coming 1 hr Donald 3
House seat 1 hr Arnold 2
News Sissonville man found running meth lab (Feb '11) 1 hr Tom too 18
Say "No"! To Hospital Merger In H-Town 2 hr Poster 17
What happened to Chad (Apr '15) 2 hr okay 46
More from around the web

Personal Finance