I R ONE TWO

Chesapeake, VA

#1 Mar 28, 2013
Are there any "Red necks" in West Virginia?
Blackhawk

Prestonsburg, KY

#2 Mar 28, 2013
It depends on the story about the term "rednecks". Locally, rednecks where a group of miners who marched on Charleston to fight for their right to unionize. They wore red bandanas around their necks so they could be identified from the anti-union Baldwin-Felts dectectives who were doing just about anything to help the coal operators to keep unions from prevailing. Several people were murdered at Blair Mountain in Logan County. It was the first time since the Civil War that federal troops were used against American citizens. This is a chapter in American hisotry that's not well known and should be.
I R ONE TWO

Chesapeake, VA

#3 Mar 28, 2013
Blackhawk wrote:
It depends on the story about the term "rednecks". Locally, rednecks where a group of miners who marched on Charleston to fight for their right to unionize. They wore red bandanas around their necks so they could be identified from the anti-union Baldwin-Felts dectectives who were doing just about anything to help the coal operators to keep unions from prevailing. Several people were murdered at Blair Mountain in Logan County. It was the first time since the Civil War that federal troops were used against American citizens. This is a chapter in American hisotry that's not well known and should be.
i preciate tha histrey lesson,butt you didnt answer my queston. do they be any red necks in West Virginia?
LMG

Proctorville, OH

#4 Mar 28, 2013
Just what are you trying to prove?
Mary Jane

Acme, PA

#5 Mar 28, 2013
Blackhawk wrote:
That's really interesting. Any recommended books on this topic? Sounds like a good read
wow

Belle, WV

#6 Mar 28, 2013
I think he be tryin to prove his ignorance.... Does darn good job wit his type in too!! Lol
LMG wrote:
Just what are you trying to prove?
Anyone

Chesapeake, OH

#7 Mar 28, 2013
Well unless they've burned in the tanning bed, then no probably all white necks
Anyone

Chesapeake, OH

#8 Mar 28, 2013
Mary Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really interesting. Any recommended books on this topic? Sounds like a good read
Do a search on Blair Mountain Mary. It should bring up plenty of info for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AEP is out of control!!! Sign the petition. 5 min Think 9
Danny Jones 22 min The truth 26
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 39 min Well 3,986
Ron Blizzard Victory Motorcycles (Mar '12) 1 hr The truth 14
Rio de Grill in Kanawha City 6 hr Been there 6
Ring girl 6 hr Roger 14
Zach Dawson (Apr '16) 9 hr Amanda 5

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance