Daycare Centers: Fort Hill and WV pub...

Daycare Centers: Fort Hill and WV public employees daycare

Posted in the Charleston Forum

AnonDAD

Charleston, WV

#1 Dec 6, 2013
We recently moved to the area and we were wondering if anyone would have any comments about either of the daycares listed above.

We have narrowed it down to just those two, which do you think is better?
parent

Oakvale, WV

#2 Dec 6, 2013
fort hill is top notch- a wonderful center. my kids both went there from age 6 months until they started school. it is expensive but in this case you do get what you pay for. ive never used the other daycare in particular but i did have mine enrolled in a church-based one in so chas and the one downtown over by st francis hosp, and they werent even in the same league. they were more 'babysitters' than 'teachers'. on the hill many of the teachers are older and more mature/experienced, and have been there for years. i think that consistency is good for the kids. when the weather is good theyre always out doing something - the movies, a field trip, etc. and i dont know where the peia facility is but i like that fort hill is located in an area thats residential, which i think is safer than a place thats downtown.
local

Charleston, WV

#3 Dec 7, 2013
Oh I have been a ckient of ft hill for 22 years ....two sets of kids....I wouldn't trust sny other dsycare with my kids. The owner...jean hawks is a wonderful person and is always there and very hsnds on. I love the neighboorhood feeling of ft hill vs the downtown.business loc of peia. I also worked with several people of peia and they were constsntly bring called to pick up their child for one silly reason or another.
AnonDAD

Charleston, WV

#4 Dec 7, 2013
Thanks for your input. I am leaning towards Fort Hill, but I would still like to hear from someone who has used the public employee daycare.
Bunchofcrap

United States

#5 Dec 7, 2013
BS Jean hawks is one of the snobbiest Bs I've ever met and I can tell u a lot of better daycares
barbara

Hansford, WV

#6 Dec 9, 2013
AnonDAD wrote:
Thanks for your input. I am leaning towards Fort Hill, but I would still like to hear from someone who has used the public employee daycare.
I used to work at the public employees day care. Do not take your child there you will regret it. There is a forum on here about that place. They are all about the money and thats it. I promise you will regret it. Fort hill is better.
AnonDAD

Charleston, WV

#7 Dec 11, 2013
Barbara, I thought Fort Hill was the more expensive option. What do you mean by saying that they are "all about the money"?
george

Hansford, WV

#8 Dec 12, 2013
AnonDAD wrote:
Barbara, I thought Fort Hill was the more expensive option. What do you mean by saying that they are "all about the money"?
I was talking about the public employee day care, being all about the money. They could care less about the kids they are money hungry.
angry mother

Scott Depot, WV

#9 Dec 13, 2013
I have heard numerous stories about public employee. We had a terrible experience there and ended up leaving. We attend Creative Learning Center in Charleston and love it.
Fort Hill Alum

Mckinney, TX

#10 Dec 13, 2013
I would not place a YOUNG child at Fort Hill. They are COMPLETELY overcrowded. Age 3 or 4 would be fine, any younger, I would not place my child there. That is based on multiple visits, with my children and based on feedback from friends who placed their younger children there and were unhappy with the care. I DID however, place one of my children there for preschool at age 3-4 and WAS happy with their program.
Fort Hill Alum

Mckinney, TX

#11 Dec 13, 2013
angry mother wrote:
I have heard numerous stories about public employee. We had a terrible experience there and ended up leaving. We attend Creative Learning Center in Charleston and love it.
WOW! I just looked at the Creative Learning Center website, If I had children in that age range now, I would DEFINITELY check in to sending them there! That place looks amazing!
Concerned citizen

Charleston, WV

#12 Apr 4, 2015
Terrible daycare! We went for a visit and the teachers were so unfriendly! They did not greet us or acknowledge our young child. The activities were developmentally inappropriate, none of the children looked happy. The facility is old and not warm or inviting. The owner did not take initiative in spending time with us. It seems like a business to make money not actually care for children. They know the child development lingo and it looks good on paper. But if you see it in person you can tell it is all an act. I would never send my child to such a cold, unfriendly, non nurturing place. It was just awful! They are taking advantage of parents who do not have the background in child development and presenting as a competent, progressive learning faculty but do not be fooled! Your child will not be happy there and neither will you.
past ft hill client

Charleston, WV

#13 Apr 4, 2015
My child attended there from age 3 to 4th grade. Hechated it. The food portions are ridiculously small, milk served warm and teachers were hateful. It has gone down hill so far I'm not sure how its still open.
Frani

Charleston, WV

#14 Apr 8, 2015
george wrote:
<quoted text>I was talking about the public employee day care, being all about the money. They could care less about the kids they are money hungry.
Is your name George or Barbara? Make up your mind.
Kat

Man, WV

#15 Apr 8, 2015
I worked for the AG's office for 5 years and heard so many horror stories from ladies in my division with taking their kids there (public employee daycare). All fort hills aren't that great but the original in fort hill rocks, good luck!
lacey

Charleston, WV

#16 Jul 8, 2015
WV Public Employees Daycare is a terrible place to send your kids teachers are lazy and the new director is a bitch and treats the kids like shit do not end your kids there. Creative learning is a better place and most the teachers from WV public employees daycare is working there now.
Working mommy

Bladensburg, MD

#17 Jul 9, 2015
lacey wrote:
WV Public Employees Daycare is a terrible place to send your kids teachers are lazy and the new director is a bitch and treats the kids like shit do not end your kids there. Creative learning is a better place and most the teachers from WV public employees daycare is working there now.

I've had a completely different experience. My kids love their teachers and they are not at all lazy. Every time I am there, they are fully engaged with the children. There have been a few workers I didn't care much for, but that's to be expected.

If you find it appropriate to call someone a bitch while being a keyboard warrior, then I think your problem with Karen may be from your side of the fence. I have always seen her act kindly and politely with others. She appears to be very dedicated to making our school as nice as possible. She is also tightly bound to follow licensing regulations and the center has rules that must be followed. I've also heard nice things about Creative Learning, but my guess is that you'll be publicly shaming them as well after you are called out for not following rules or whatever it is that has caused your beef with pedc.
Britt

Hurricane, WV

#18 Sep 9, 2015
I have taken my children to both Public Employees and Fort Hill. First, we used Public Employee. They were not very friendly at all. While taking my oldest child there, I became pregnant. As soon as I found out, I let the office know because of the waiting list. They assured me I was have a spot by the time the baby would be 6 weeks old. With 2-3 weeks left on maternity, I received a call from the office to let me know that if I wanted to hold that spot, I would need to go ahead and pay full price, EVEN THOUGH i had been on the waiting list for over 1 year and was guaranteed a spot. The reason behind this was that another center was closing and they had several children wanting to start immediately. Therefore, I pulled my oldest child out and began them at Fort Hill. My youngest child has been at Fort Hill since he was 7 weeks ago and NOT ONCE had a complaint. He just turned two in September. My oldest is currently in the PreK 2 class which is the last class before Kindergarten. Throughout the entire time being there I only had one complaint that I didn't think certain teachers worked well together. Jean was very concerned, understanding, and even fixed the issue! Since then, my oldest has moved up from that class and we still have zero concerns. It is very expensive, but well worth it! My oldest has been in 5 different centers and Fort Hill tops them all! My mother owned a day care and I grew up in one, eventually working in it as a teen. I know a lot about what needs to happen and Fort Hill is beyond awesome!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Magistrate Linda Hunt needs to GET OUT OF OFFICE (Nov '12) 8 min AweDaw 14
Dont vote Goodwin 9 min AweDaw 8
Wreck at Dairy Winkle on Tuesday? 12 min slicer 2
Magistrate Race 30 min Homer 6
dude named reese (Mar '14) 1 hr True 20
I was fisted so what 1 hr True 6
I need a online boyfriend 1 hr Tom Clark 18
kroger in kan city 5 hr Leroy 28

Charleston Jobs

Personal Finance