Park Place is ripping you off

Park Place is ripping you off

Posted in the Charleston Forum

Dave

Charleston, WV

#1 May 17, 2013
These new renovations are a ruse to cover te fact that they jacked up their prices.

It's all you can eat popcorn and drink, but they bank on the fact that you probably wont get as much as you're being offered. The old small cups were bigger and the same price as a current small cup, and their old mediums are their new "large".

Speaking I which, anyone else notice they don't offer medium sized popcorn or drinks?? They want you to buy the big stuff!! They can offer free refills because Pepsi syrup and popcorn kernels are CHEAP AS HELL. Look up how much a box of syrup or a 25 pound bag of I popped popcorn costs.

Also, their so called "combos" don't actually save you money!!!! I used to go in and get a Super Combo for 9.00 and get all the popcorn and drink I wanted. Now I get a smaller cup and a smaller bag for the same price.

DON'T LET THOSE POPCORN JOCKEYS FOOL YOU!! Greg Pauly is a liar and that whole newspaper article is a sham!!
cry some more

Charleston, WV

#2 May 17, 2013
Dave wrote:
These new renovations are a ruse to cover te fact that they jacked up their prices.
It's all you can eat popcorn and drink, but they bank on the fact that you probably wont get as much as you're being offered. The old small cups were bigger and the same price as a current small cup, and their old mediums are their new "large".
Speaking I which, anyone else notice they don't offer medium sized popcorn or drinks?? They want you to buy the big stuff!! They can offer free refills because Pepsi syrup and popcorn kernels are CHEAP AS HELL. Look up how much a box of syrup or a 25 pound bag of I popped popcorn costs.
Also, their so called "combos" don't actually save you money!!!! I used to go in and get a Super Combo for 9.00 and get all the popcorn and drink I wanted. Now I get a smaller cup and a smaller bag for the same price.
DON'T LET THOSE POPCORN JOCKEYS FOOL YOU!! Greg Pauly is a liar and that whole newspaper article is a sham!!
Personally, I don't go to the movies to eat!! I go to the movies and then somewhere nice for dinner. If you're getting ripped off, it's because you allow it.

Besides...that popcorn is made all at once...and stored in trash bags for days & weeks at a time. Pass!! Enjoy that.
Dave

Charleston, WV

#3 May 17, 2013
cry some more wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I don't go to the movies to eat!! I go to the movies and then somewhere nice for dinner. If you're getting ripped off, it's because you allow it.
Besides...that popcorn is made all at once...and stored in trash bags for days & weeks at a time. Pass!! Enjoy that.
Doesn't mean people can't get fair warning. It's not about the product or even price itself, but that these pricks are trying to pull one over on the public and make it seem like they're doing something nice for its customers, when they're really trying to find another way to cheat on honest paying customers. It's the principle of the thing.
cry some more

Charleston, WV

#4 May 17, 2013
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't mean people can't get fair warning. It's not about the product or even price itself, but that these pricks are trying to pull one over on the public and make it seem like they're doing something nice for its customers, when they're really trying to find another way to cheat on honest paying customers. It's the principle of the thing.
So, while everything else increases in price (you may know what YOU would pay for soda syrup & popcorn kernels, but I'm sure you have no idea what they're being charged), you expect that movie theatres not to increase their prices?? Not to improve their facilities??

I've been their after their renovations, it IS nice. If you don't like it, don't go. Crying about it isn't making anyone feel sorry for you, it's making you look like a grouchy old tight wad.

No one is MAKING you go to that theatre. Cry some more, it's pathetic.
geez

Chesapeake, OH

#5 May 17, 2013
First mistake you made was going to Park Place for a movie, unless it is convenient for you, I would go elsewhere...

But as far as prices for concessions go, the reason they are so expensive at theaters is because, that is where the theater makes their money. A lot of people don't realise how theaters work and how they pay for things. Let me enlighten you a little ...

1. The theater doesn't "buy" the movies they show. They are sent on consignment from the studios, with stipulations. The way the studios make their money is from ticket sales. Say a new movie comes out, lets take Iron Man 3 for.example since.its still pretty new. The movie theater must sign an agreement with the studio to pay a percentage of all ticket sales to that studio, usually for "blockbusters" like this, it.is upwards of. 60-75% of all ticket sales for the first X number of weeks that the studio states in the contract. Then that number decreases as the movie gets older. For example, when the "newer" star wars" came out, theaters were forced to pay 100% of ticket sales for the first two wheels to the theater, then that number dropped off. So as you can see, the reason concessions cost so much, is because the theaters don't really make money from a movie until it is 3-4 weeks old, then the audience is so small it really doesn't help much.
I am cheap

Martinsburg, WV

#6 May 17, 2013
I sneak in my own food and drink. Two weeks ago i brought in a footlong sub from Subway a bottle of pepsi and a big bag of popcorn from the dollar store.
MovieMom

Charleston, WV

#7 May 17, 2013
My kids and I prefer Park Place - I find it easier to park - you dont have to walk out in the rain or snow when you park in the parking building - its a little less expensive than Marquee - and ANY place you go the movies - any city-state I have been to, jacks up the concession prices - unfortunately - thats just the way it is
No Name

Charleston, WV

#8 May 17, 2013
It's still a lot cheaper than Marquee.
new

Charleston, WV

#9 May 17, 2013
I worked there when I was 16. Got fired fir flipping off the manager. Lmao he was such a douche. Place was scummy then, and still is! As far as popcorn stored in trash bags, I worked the concession, and that's true! I stay the hell away from Charleston. With all the crazy violence I see on the news, I'd be insane to take my babies to that slum. I'll pay the price for the better theatre.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump supporters cheer his combative stance wit... 10 min Sandy Hook Hoax 532
Chocolate 50 min PB and J 2
Josh Lewis WCHS 1 hr Concerned 6
massage parlor 2 hr kim chee 3
Judge Ballard (Feb '15) 3 hr AAA333 21
Best barber in Charleston? (Mar '14) 4 hr Great 29
Salon Indigo - East End 4 hr Neighbors 13

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charleston Mortgages