Fired Nitro Firefighter Appeals His Termination

May 18, 2011 Full story: WCHS 268

A Nitro firefighter who was suspended and then fired is now going after the city.

Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
deznutz

Astoria, NY

#1 May 22, 2011
Good for him!
A Resident

Wharton, WV

#2 May 22, 2011
Everyone has rights and the city of Nitro violated his.
curious

Astoria, NY

#3 May 23, 2011
The city of Nitro has serious issues with both departments (fire and police) I think they need to clean house on both sides and start over. Plus the fire chief is so lazy they would be better off without him!
NHS1

Hurricane, WV

#4 Sep 2, 2011
Don't forget how lazy the Fire Depts Captians are!!!
1 post removed
NHS1

Hurricane, WV

#6 Sep 2, 2011
Tell the residents what the problems are in the fire and police department. Start with how bad the Captians are in the Fire Department. Start with your senior Captians and work your way down. We would be interested in hearing about this.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#7 Sep 2, 2011
A Resident wrote:
Everyone has rights and the city of Nitro violated his.
The only rights that have been violated are those of the Fire Civil Service and not by any firefighter or member but the Nitro City Council Members who stepped in where they did not belong and interject.

Just what right of A.J. Shinn was violated?

His right to be insubordinate?
His right to continually be late for his shifts?
His right to disrespect his fellow firefighters?
His right to park in areas firefighters had already been told were not parking areas?
etc. etc. etc.

A.J. Shinn needs to get over himself. The paper called him a single father. He is no single father - he lives with the mother of his child and her other children.

on a TMZ note - rumor has it (a little mouse told me) he and his wife are pretty chummy with another firefighter and his wife and they like to "swing" and not with their children at the park.

Location hidden

#8 Sep 2, 2011
curious wrote:
The city of Nitro has serious issues with both departments (fire and police) I think they need to clean house on both sides and start over. Plus the fire chief is so lazy they would be better off without him!
Curious - Nitro has serious issues but it is not with their police and fire departments. It is with the select few members of council and the new Treasurer (who is not working for the Mayor any longer but Mayor in his own mind Dave Casebolt).

These select members of council have not questioned Mr. Young about the more than 900,000 of money not accounted for by the same audit that raised the issue w/ documentation of the police fund.

Why is that. If I were on council I would be much more concerned about 900,000 than 58,000. Not that both are not worth investigating and looking into. But the 58,000 has already been resolved.

The bank statements are available and the zip drive given to the treasurer should be readily available. But yet we are still talking about the Police Department Benefit Fund.

I can guess why - if we stop talking abou that then someone might rightfully ask about the 900,000. And Mr. Young and his OPEB explanation is nothing but garbage.

The fire chief is so lazy. And just where are you getting this tidbit of information. Oh, let me guess your firefighter of the year A.J. Shinn or your husband/friend/self J.E. on the Nitro FD.

Location hidden

#9 Sep 2, 2011
NHS1 wrote:
Don't forget how lazy the Fire Depts Captians are!!!
Oh so it is not just the Chief but now the Captains - are they all lazy or just a select few???

Location hidden

#10 Sep 2, 2011
NHS1 wrote:
Tell the residents what the problems are in the fire and police department. Start with how bad the Captians are in the Fire Department. Start with your senior Captians and work your way down. We would be interested in hearing about this.
Why don't you tell us NHS1. You seem to have so much to say about who is lazy and have such an insight on the situtaion.

Ok - you start with the senior captains and work your way down.

Just how bad are they in the FD?

Location hidden

#11 Sep 2, 2011
That little mouse in my pocket is sure full of information today.

When this firefighter was relieved of duty by the Hearing Board that he agreed to hear is case. I understand council voted to keep him on the payroll.

An unprecendented action by a council. And Dave Casebolt voted to keep paying him a salary after he was relieved from duty.

Doesn't Dave Casebolt work w/ A.J. Shinn at River Valley Properties. This is a clear recusal issue. I would want to know just who made the motion and who actually felt this action needed to be taken in such an unprecendented manner.

Oh my surely not another possible ethics violation for Councilman Casebolt. My oh my what to do what to do.

Location hidden

#12 Sep 2, 2011
What is the deal with the two firefighters who have their wives dealing with their employment with the Nitro Fire Department.

I couldn't believe the meeting. This firefighter sat there with his words on his page to read and another firefighters wife standing next to him like a dog owner with a dog on a leash.

did she give him a treat for reading his part.

I can't believe we have 2 firefighters that are bringing their wives into their work business.

But then again, One Captain whose wife is very vocal for this firefighter.. Her husband is a captain and suppose to maintain a neutral position. He has clearly taken a position on a personnel matter - I just wander how this captain treats the other firefighters when they are on duty.

He has clearly taken sides.

I for one think the wives need to get back to the house and be seen and not heard.

they have no place interjecting themselves in the fire house and civil service procedures.

If this firefighter hadn't done anything wrong he never would have been relieved of his duty.

Again, to the wives of these firefighters in the words of a former councilmans wife - "WOMEN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD."
WOman

Winston Salem, NC

#13 Sep 2, 2011
Time2MoveOn wrote:
What is the deal with the two firefighters who have their wives dealing with their employment with the Nitro Fire Department.
I couldn't believe the meeting. This firefighter sat there with his words on his page to read and another firefighters wife standing next to him like a dog owner with a dog on a leash.
did she give him a treat for reading his part.
I can't believe we have 2 firefighters that are bringing their wives into their work business.
But then again, One Captain whose wife is very vocal for this firefighter.. Her husband is a captain and suppose to maintain a neutral position. He has clearly taken a position on a personnel matter - I just wander how this captain treats the other firefighters when they are on duty.
He has clearly taken sides.
I for one think the wives need to get back to the house and be seen and not heard.
they have no place interjecting themselves in the fire house and civil service procedures.
If this firefighter hadn't done anything wrong he never would have been relieved of his duty.
Again, to the wives of these firefighters in the words of a former councilmans wife - "WOMEN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD."
I personally cannot believe you just said that ' WOMEN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD." I don't have a dog in this fight and you are probably right in that these women should stay out of THIS fight. But to make a general statement that WOMEN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD, is the most pig headed thing you could have said. You could have said these women don't have a say in this particular issue. I could have and would have supported that claim.

However, please remember, a WOMAN gave birth to you. And what would this world be without you?

Location hidden

#14 Sep 2, 2011
WOman wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally cannot believe you just said that ' WOMEN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD." I don't have a dog in this fight and you are probably right in that these women should stay out of THIS fight. But to make a general statement that WOMEN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD, is the most pig headed thing you could have said. You could have said these women don't have a say in this particular issue. I could have and would have supported that claim.
However, please remember, a WOMAN gave birth to you. And what would this world be without you?
Don't get your panties in a bunch. It was a joke for those who are aware of the former councilmans wife who made the statement originally.

If you took it personally - get over it. It was just a joke. Well the part about Women should be seen and not heard. The rest of what I said was dead on.
Groupie123

Charleston, WV

#15 Sep 3, 2011
What's the difference between the firemen's wives doing what they are doing and the police chief's wife doing what she does at the meetings. lololol

Location hidden

#16 Sep 3, 2011
Groupie123 - I am not aware of the Police Chief's wife doing anything at meetings.

What are you talking about? Please be specific.

As for what would be the difference. The firefighter's wife who was speaking out and inserting herself into A.J. Shinn's business is the wife of Captain J. Elkins. As a Captain in the fire department he should be neutral in this matter.

A fire civil service hearing board was convened. A.J. Shinn agreed to the board who heard his case and they concluded to relieve him from duty.

This would cause issues with J.E.'s wife inserting herself as how now is that affecting how J.E. treats the other firefighters in the fire house.

It is all just to convenient since A.J. Shinn and his girlfriend (girlfriend is misleading - they live together w/ their child and her other children and have for years) and J.E. and his wife are so chummy.

Personal thought for the day - swinging should be left to children on the playground.

Again, I say she has no business inserting herself into this publicly. If A.J. Shinn's
Appeal

New York, NY

#17 Sep 3, 2011
Didn't the City Council just vote to pay the firefighter during his appeal process? An appeal in which his termination was reversed?

Location hidden

#18 Sep 3, 2011
Why can't the people in Nitro just let things go.
This is ridiculous. This firefighter has his job back. But the turmoil continues.
I can guarantee he is still running his mouth and not following direct orders. At least this is how it was when I was with the city.
He would openly disrepect orders given and routinely be late for his shifts. Which causes a conflict with the firefighter that can not leave after 24 hours on duty because they can't leave until he arrives.
An actual hearing board came down with a ruling and it was reversed on appeal. It is time to put it behind you and move on.
But instead of moving on in typical Nitro fashion we have to now try and get someone else fired.
What is frightening is that the other firefighters who now have distrust of the person they may be working with. I mean would you want to go inside a burning building and be dependent on the person outside when the person outside has shown they hate you.
This is just like the old Don Karnes days of pit the employee's against each other to divide and conquer.
This started again with the election of the new council.
Please everyone just stop the insanity and focus on what is important, family and the community. Because at the end of the day they are the only things that really matter. And once they are gone or destroyed you can't bring them back.

Location hidden

#19 Sep 3, 2011
DoOver you are mistaken on one point.

A.J. Shinn was relived of duty by hearing board of his peers after he refused a suspension from his superior.

It was this suspension that was appealed to the Civil Service Commission and they upheld his punishment of the suspension but gave him his job back.

He still had to take the suspension. He did not get out of any punishment - it was only delayed.

And that should be the end of it.

But as you say DoOver you know Nitro all to well. Dave Casebol must be studying the Don Karnes Dummies for Mayor Philosophy. like you sid pit the employees against each other to divide and conquer. You are dead on there.
citizen

United States

#20 Sep 3, 2011
I think you all are afraid Dave Casebolt might actually win the mayoral election. that's why you all keep bashing him.. U have legitimate concerns, but he does care about this town unlike the mayor we have now who has done nothing for economic growth in the city..

Location hidden

#21 Sep 3, 2011
I agree with you I think people are afraid of Dave Casebolt winning the election.

Because he has already started putting employee's against one another. It is disgusting.

As for caring about the town. If he truly cared about the town he would care about the employee's and this man doesn't give two hoots about the employee's in this town. If he did he wouldn't be doing the things he is doing.

I also agree the current Mayor has done nothing.

But compared to Dave Casebolt he would be the lesser of two evils.

As for the cities economic growth. The city is growing just fine. The elected officials need to learn that it is not them but the employee's that keep the city going. And destroying morale, putting employee's against each other and destroying the framework of the inner workings of the city will do nothing but keep the city stagnate.

This is Nitro for cyring out loud not Chicago. You would think there were serious issues on the line. People in Nitro want to have their trash picked up, their streets paved, the police available when needed and out preventing crime and the fire department for house fires and emergency calls.

Nowhere above do the elected officials do anything but allocate the cities funds for budgeting purposes and propose and pass ordinance changes. Intereferring in the day to day activities of the employee's and trying to micro-manage the department heads is not the role of a councilman.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is tougher Army or Marines? (Apr '12) 31 min Human BS Detector 97
Catholics are the Epicenter of HATE 33 min religions 64
Sissonville Gays 33 min grease it up 15
Truth? (Mar '13) 34 min Dat Rich man dun ... 245
Natalie Tennant campaigning at the courthouse 49 min shelly cameltoe h... 27
Snitches of kanawha valley 59 min Jimmy Carter 15
Shannon Smith Clark 2 hr shaun 19
Do you believe in spanking? 8 hr Huck Fill-Billies 50
Charleston Dating
Find my Match