Nancy

Chesapeake, VA

#109 May 11, 2014
rrd wrote:
I will be honest with you. I hate this state. The only jobs around are minimum wage and if you have a higher education level then forget it. I have a B.S. and M.B.A. and the only work I can find is low class jobs. You also need a car to get around cause there are no buses outside the cities. Charleston is about the only place I've ever found work. If you live outside the city you have to put up with backwards people who still live in yesterday and if you don't believe me read "Yesterday's People" that is a book about WV and it is right.
My friends and family tell me to move out of the state. My problem is I don't know what state would be best to move or start a new life in but I need to make a move soon or I'll be trapped in WV forever and this place is more like hell on earth than heaven. So my advice is to run far away from this state and don't even think twice about coming to it.
If you say you have a Masters in Business and a BS degree and living in WV, I will say you're either lazy and don't want to work, or you don't have the education to find a well paying job. Plenty of jobs that will math your criteria.
Shawn

Mount Lookout, WV

#110 May 12, 2014
Morgantown is awesome. The rest of the state sucks.
Terri

Severn, MD

#111 May 20, 2014
Run, as fast as you can................. moved back there after being away, my home. Awful. You will need a shrink.
nc

Washington, DC

#112 May 23, 2014
Yes it sucks!
1 post removed
TPB

Washington, DC

#114 May 27, 2014
WWAWWV wrote:
No future, no hope!
. No teeth.
no question

Charleston, WV

#115 May 27, 2014
There was a time when I would have said "no". I use to be proud to live here. The people were nice, most towns were scenic and interesting places to visit, restaurants were family owned and food was great, kids played outside, rode bikes, played hop scotch, etc. and it was a quaint and pretty simple way of life. SAFE! Everything has changed. Kids are disrespectful, no one wants to work, drugs (usage and selling/buying) are rampant, the people living here have adapted a Walmart mentality of cheap...wear pajamas everywhere, get a tattoo as soon as the government checks arrive and plaster Facebook with pictures and messages of ignorance such as "I'm a full time mommy and love it", when they don't know or even care where their kids are, as long as it isn't near them! Check day is go to Walmart day and the place shows the world how ignorant and low life a lot of people living here are. Can't wait to leave, but won't happen for a few more years, unfortunately. When that time does arrive, we won't look back except for the fond memories of the way it was many years ago. Anyone with the chance to leave should think hard about it. Depends on what keeps you here, of course. There are reasons to stay...reasons when you have to stay. When those reasons are no longer pertinent, go. Just go.
no question

Charleston, WV

#116 May 27, 2014
THE LAST WARRIOR POET wrote:
<quoted text>
You're hearing more bad than good because of the type of people who generally visit topix.They're shyt stirrers,losers,envious of anyone who's successful,and angry at being of little worth.WV is not as bad as most states when it comes to various issues.Even the so called cultured states of New England are going through the misery of heroin addiction as well as many other problems.Florida is full of crime,etc.Putnam Co. schools are the best in the state.As I've stated on many occasions the nation is on the fast track to hell but we just prefer to take the slow train.LOL
Enlighten us on the various issues which you allude to in your comment. A few examples would be really interesting to see. Various issues where WV is not as bad as most places....? I'm not being a smart ass with my question; just very curious at your response. Thanks.
3 posts removed
BBQ

United States

#120 May 29, 2014
Charleston surely is a hell hole. Drugs and immorality have ruined families and professional careers.
Kylie

Bronx, NY

#121 May 31, 2014
DONT MOVE HERE! I am 13 and am stuck here until I'm 18.it is a terrible place to raise your child.he/she will be picked on no matter how he/she is.drugs are horrible here,and the teachers care nothing about your child's education. A teacher in my school has thrown things such as chairs and pencils at students and the principles don't do one thing about it.if u do move here don't move to Hancock County. Children are terribly peer pressured into smoking,drinking,and doing drugs,mostly weed. I've had to turn down about 5 oppritunitys to get drunk and 15 to smoke,plus who in h*lls name thinks incest is okay?!
rrd

Charleston, WV

#122 Jun 4, 2014
Shawn wrote:
Morgantown is awesome. The rest of the state sucks.
Not in WV and Seeing from your post I dough you are from WV so how do you know what is here when you live in Virginia?
rrd

Charleston, WV

#123 Jun 4, 2014
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>If you say you have a Masters in Business and a BS degree and living in WV, I will say you're either lazy and don't want to work, or you don't have the education to find a well paying job. Plenty of jobs that will math your criteria.
Not in WV and Seeing from your post I dough you are from WV so how do you know what is here when you live in Virginia?
2 posts removed
Ebola Bound

Charleston, WV

#126 Oct 20, 2014
Soon, and very soon, Mr. Ebola will be visiting West Virginia to wipe out what's left of this worthless State.
1 post removed
Paige32781

Beckley, WV

#128 Nov 14, 2014
whatever wrote:
Its a state chock full of chesters molesters drugs and snitches wild and wonderful
That is the dumbest thing I've heard. Yes, West Virginia isn't the best place to live, but I've lived here since the age of three and I have lived a very happy life. It is really a beautiful state and if you're an outdoor person like I am it's a wonderful place to live. The school I'm currently going to is pretty great when it comes to education. There aren't that many obese kids in my school and almost everyone is nice and welcoming. I know a lot of intelligent, kind people that have a lot of potential. No.. Not everyone here is an obese hillbilly with missing teeth and lack of common sense.

Since: Nov 14

Beckley, WV

#129 Nov 15, 2014
I have lived here for 14 years and have never liked living here. There is nothing to do here, there's no jobs here but to work at Walmart and McDonald's. There is an unbelievable amount of druggies and meth heads here. West Virginia may be a very beautiful state, but it's pretty boring. I live in the beckley area and the only things to do here are go
to the movies and go out to eat and I'm tired of doing just that.
Truth is

Nitro, WV

#130 Nov 15, 2014
It's pretty much the worst state in the nation in just about every category. On the plus side housing is cheaper than most of the rest of the country. The Charles Town area NOT Charleston is actually pretty nice because it's within driving distance of civilization for work and has nice scenery. You would be working in Maryland or D.C. and commuting.
2 posts removed
kiah

Charleston, WV

#133 Dec 11, 2014
I live In West Virginia and hey I love it . I live in a good town plus We not always good but hey u got be tough just to get thought and no it anit a bad place to live
2 posts removed
none ya

Chicago, IL

#136 Jan 28, 2015
Wv is great have lived here all my life and love it
none ya

Charleston, WV

#137 Jan 28, 2015
If you don't like wv leave nobody is forcing you to stay you will find drugs anywhere incest anywhere people with no teeth anywhere and people complaining therea nothing to do go find stuff wv is a beautiful state I love it here its home its not a bad state to be in
The Queen Bee

Point Pleasant, WV

#138 Jan 28, 2015
Daughter who lived in Charleston with family and felt it was both dangerous and unfriendly moved to Beckley area, near Winterplace, Glade Springs Resort, and Grandview State Park. What a wonderful, kid friendly area. Lots and lots of outdoor activities for families and the people there seem to be well educated (the schools in area are awesome) and are very friendly. Maybe they are the remnants of the state's original Mountaineers....or maybe just the proximity to Virginia?!? I would hope the former.
ntheknow

Charleston, WV

#139 Jan 28, 2015
Kristie wrote:
I'm just wanting some opinions, I'm thinking of moving there and I would like to know where would be the best place to live. I'm a single mother and I want to be in an area that is a great place to raise a kid and which schools are good around there? I've visited WV before and everyone was nice and polite. It's also a beautiful state and I would love to make it my permanent residence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Why on earth would you even consider living in WV? Is this a prank question? This state ran out of jobs over 30 years ago. The coal mines are shutting down as fast as the thieves and druggies are multiplying.
Unless you have a huge bank account, can afford to live hell and gone out in the country, and do home schooling, know how to hunt, fish, garden, can, and be self reliant, without a job... Look elsewhere.
Maybe farther south, or out west.... Better schools, better weather, and more jobs....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where are they showing the mayweather fight? (Sep '13) 3 hr Brianna 3
Anonymous Drug Tips (Aug '14) 7 hr Johnny 190
New to charleston 9 hr Back visiting 3
City election predictions? 11 hr pluck 3
Does anyone know Tyshaun Neal? 11 hr Kelley 3
Ty-Shaun Neal 11 hr Kelley 10
Tim Halloran 12 hr Appeal 2
More from around the web

Charleston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE