Freddy

Charleston, WV

#46 Aug 14, 2013
Nope. Don't move here. Stay away. Too rugged and hilly. No place for outsiders.
Happy

Portsmouth, OH

#47 Aug 14, 2013
It varies greatly depending upon where one is. It is a great place to live cheaply. Life, at times, has been first class around here, especially in Charleston and to a lesser extent Huntington. Everywhere in the country, except San Diego, and perhaps San Francisco, has suffered a precipitous decline in the quality of life over the past 35 years. West Virginia has suffered as well with the loss of good jobs. It is mostly rural, so the chances of finding friends who are exactly your match is a little hit or miss. It is far better though than it is portrayed, if one wants to stay away from trouble.
1 post removed
Alycia

Alexandria, VA

#49 Nov 3, 2013
I'm from Charleston and have lived here the majority of my life. It would depend on where in WV you're thinking about living to be able to give an accurate answer. If I were to suggest an area it would deffinately be Lewisburg. It's a beautiful small town and the country in Greenbrier County in breathtaking. It's where my grandparents live and even though I plan to live all over the world I intend to retire there. Also Fayetville is a very cool little town. Also you could think about states like Tennessee, Georgia, or North Carolina if you like beautiful scenery and good people which is why I'm assuming you're thinking about WV.
1 post removed
cotton

Dunbar, WV

#51 Nov 10, 2013
if you want to find out about west virginia go on line to the American Bar Association and check out how the judicial system is rated. the American Bar Association calls it #1 Hell Hole. ---check out the complaints against the lawyers, the police, sheriff's and wv state police. look at the fact that business don't come into west virginia. look at the statistics on drugs -its over the top. look at the crime rate - that is to say the 'crime that is reported'. look at abuse in the community, look at the domestic violence, look at the child abuse. all over the top.
swamp rat

Charleston, WV

#52 Nov 10, 2013
It is a terrible place. Don't come here. We don't want you anyway.
WVgirl

Reynoldsburg, OH

#53 Nov 12, 2013
Person wrote:
<quoted text>
People here seem to go against logic. For example, people here constantly complained about Joe Manchin when he was here....yet they kept voting him back into office. They're still doing this with Earl Ray Tomblin!
Another noteworthy quality is that a lot of people here are rude as hell. There are major jerks here. I've dealt with employees in many occupations who are smart asses and don't want to do their jobs. Just the other day, I had to wait for more than THREE HOURS to get an oil change for my car. Normally it takes 30 minutes to get an oil change finished....and there's usually only two people doing it. However, in THIS OTHER place I went to, five of the employees were smoking cigarettes.
After two and a half hours of waiting, I raised hell and they looked at my like I was being an ass. People say that this is everywhere....and I can safely say that they are wrong. I've lived in Kentucky for two years, and it was ten times better than this place. Just because I was born and raised in West Virginia doesn't mean I'm obligated to accept the people who live here. That's why I am moving back to Kentucky in a year.
Well no one is making you stay there. I have also grown up in West Virginia (the grass is no even green on the other side). I might just be biased to my home state, but West Virginia is the best place to raise a family. I don't know were you have been hanging out, but West Virginians are nothing close to what uneducated people themselves, think about us. I have lived in other states and no one is more caring than a West Virginian. We're are a state stuck back in time back when people had common since. So if you are the kind of person that goes on a baligerent rampage because you had to wait 20 minutes to get in a garage, by all means get out of our state and stop the stereotypes.( be careful what you post on the Internet) I just so happen, do not agree with anything you said in your commentary.
- thanks
Hello

Greenville, VA

#54 Nov 14, 2013
WVgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well no one is making you stay there. I have also grown up in West Virginia (the grass is no even green on the other side). I might just be biased to my home state, but West Virginia is the best place to raise a family. I don't know were you have been hanging out, but West Virginians are nothing close to what uneducated people themselves, think about us. I have lived in other states and no one is more caring than a West Virginian. We're are a state stuck back in time back when people had common since. So if you are the kind of person that goes on a baligerent rampage because you had to wait 20 minutes to get in a garage, by all means get out of our state and stop the stereotypes.( be careful what you post on the Internet) I just so happen, do not agree with anything you said in your commentary.
- thanks
Spell check
Logan

Clarksburg, WV

#55 Dec 13, 2013
I just randomly stumbled upon this. However, if you are still considering the move, do it!! Yes 50% of the population are a bunch of idiots, but that is everywhere in my own opinion haha. I grew up and still live in north central WV and love it. Will I wander away eventually? Of course. On the other hand, if you have a sane mind and a good career, this place is awesome. I will make around 45-60 thousand when I graduate and become a Respiratory Therapist. By the way im only 20. Trust me, This is a very sane, intelligent person speaking so do NOT let these narrow minded individuals talk you out of moving here if you want. It is beautiful. Southern wv is more rough than north central, but as you stumble into the higher elevations you might hit some rough patches. But every state has it. WV rumors and jokes are not exactly true, by the way. My family and friends are very successful. I encourage you to move here!!
iagree

Charleston, WV

#56 Dec 30, 2013
I agree with Bubba. Personal property tax laws needs to change for the citizens of West Virginia, the gas tax is the highest in the nation or close to, and politicians who we voted in 25 years ago are still in office. Please be the change!
hispanic

Duluth, GA

#57 Jan 22, 2014
The company I work for is having a new project this year on WV, probably for 3-4 years. I am giving a lot of though to the possibility of moving my family there. I have a great salary, so money will not be a problem. My only concern so far is that we are Hispanics, born in the states but still Hispanics. I wonder how racism will affect my kids in school and the rest of the family.
oops

Louisa, VA

#58 Jan 22, 2014
? Sounds like you'll fit right in to the west side in Charleston! GO FOR IT! Unless you have money; Then you can move into south hills with the yuppie jewish folk.
Theresa

Steubenville, OH

#59 Feb 2, 2014
Hagatha May wrote:
Possum, I assume by your post you are working class. That said, I would definately bypass Wrong Turn country in search for much greener pastures. The state continually loses population as the economy there is so bad and the opportunities for young pople are virtually nonexistant. Stereotypes do indeed exist for a reason. Hillbillies abound there and are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. We do own a lovely 100 acre estate there for get aways,but we would never consider WV as a place of permanant residency. Many are inbred and simpletons. Most of the "children" ride the "short bus" if you get my drift. Do you and your child a favor and relocate to a modern area of the country where opportunities abound. It surely is not West Virginny. TaTa for Now Lady of Quality ps We have hired many of the locals as domestics and gardners and some have been good. However most are not literate enough for indoor work and serving.
WOW!!!! All I can say is you are the ignorant one!
2 posts removed
Wvu

Stafford, VA

#62 Feb 9, 2014
Great place
1 post removed
Pride

Newport News, VA

#64 Feb 9, 2014
I am originally from WV., left 13 yrs ago. Found a higher paying position. I would have never found in WV. However, I love WV! I am so sorry things are not better there. To be fair, my job has taken me all over the country. There are impoverished areas in every state; trailer parks and people begging on the streets and in parking lots. I learned so much growing up there. I have a great education from FSC and a master's degree from Marshall University. My PT position is as an adjunct professor. I do not think I could have accomplished all of these things outside of WV if I was an inbred as some of these blogs suggest about West Virginians. There is good everywhere and unfortunately snobs move into WV who do not understand the culture. They need to sell their property and pay higher wages in another state instead of bashing the area. Stop embarrassing yourself and showing your ignorance by using bad grammar; spelling errors; etc. Take pride in yourself and stop acting like you are better than other humans because you may have had greater opportunities in life.
Wondering

Kodak, TN

#65 Feb 9, 2014
no not at all. if you don't mind various sorts of cancers and gays and lesbians being the majority. You'd have a great time here in good ole WV.
Pride

Newport News, VA

#66 Feb 9, 2014
hispanic wrote:
The company I work for is having a new project this year on WV, probably for 3-4 years. I am giving a lot of though to the possibility of moving my family there. I have a great salary, so money will not be a problem. My only concern so far is that we are Hispanics, born in the states but still Hispanics. I wonder how racism will affect my kids in school and the rest of the family.
It should not; WV has more diversity than you may think. The FBI has a huge center in Clarksburg/Bridgeport area with several thousand employees in their fingerprint division; employees from all over the country relocated to this area when their job ended in D.C. NASA also has a location in Fairmont. Morgantown has a great deal of diversity because of WVU. Most physicians are from other countries. The universities also bring in a lot of diversity. The game riots after a game are mostly due to the students there from other parts of the country. I do recommend Morgantown area. You would only be an hour or so from Pittsburgh and 2 hours or so from D.C.
1 post removed
WV-Rocks

Dallas, TX

#68 Feb 9, 2014
If you want to live in WV - Check out thier new health care plan - Beats the heck out of Obama Care - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Poison-Me-WV/6...
becarefulwhatuwi shfor

Stafford, VA

#69 Feb 10, 2014
It's okay I guess
dont do it

Pittsburgh, PA

#70 Feb 10, 2014
The state sucks. They tax the mortal living hell out of you. I have been a lot of places but I have never seen a bigger drug or begging problem. If you are middle class or lower they don't give a shit about you yet, we are the majority of the population. The roads are crappy. Rent is higher than most markets for what you get. Wild and Wonderful is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. That's why my whole company is leaving and transferring its workers out of state. We need to be able to live not just work to pay taxes and raises for the politicians
WVU

Stafford, VA

#71 Feb 10, 2014
Come on- this is a great place to live! You will love it! Just don't drink the water!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CHS Principal 1 hr Really 38
Aaron Munday 1 hr nosey neighbor 1
South Central Prisoners Refused Clean Water Aft... (May '14) 1 hr nosey neighbor 24
Professional Hillbilly Panhandlers Targeted En ... 3 hr Seriously doe lol 11
General Divisioin CAMC Kaput 3 hr Messenger 3
Snitch 4 hr enoughisenough 5
Can you believe this? This is bull. 4 hr homo detector 1
More from around the web

Charleston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]