Is West Virginia a bad place to live?

Posted in the Charleston Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Kristie

New Tazewell, TN

#1 May 16, 2013
I'm just wanting some opinions, I'm thinking of moving there and I would like to know where would be the best place to live. I'm a single mother and I want to be in an area that is a great place to raise a kid and which schools are good around there? I've visited WV before and everyone was nice and polite. It's also a beautiful state and I would love to make it my permanent residence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
1 post removed

The Real Jimmy Love

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#3 May 16, 2013
It is a horrible place to live! Trust me if you move there you will be biding your time until you can find the quickest way of leaving. You've heard all the wv jokes, well they earned them.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
whatever

Charleston, WV

#4 May 16, 2013
Its a state chock full of chesters molesters drugs and snitches wild and wonderful

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hughjanus

Chesapeake, OH

#5 May 16, 2013
Been here all my life. Lived in eastern kanawha county growing up and now kanawha city. According to where u r in the state or sometimes a town it can be night and days difference. Drugs r bad in areas but not all. Jobs are hard to come by but some still succeed. Guess its like every where else really
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#6 May 16, 2013
Possum, I assume by your post you are working class. That said, I would definately bypass Wrong Turn country in search for much greener pastures. The state continually loses population as the economy there is so bad and the opportunities for young pople are virtually nonexistant. Stereotypes do indeed exist for a reason. Hillbillies abound there and are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. We do own a lovely 100 acre estate there for get aways,but we would never consider WV as a place of permanant residency. Many are inbred and simpletons. Most of the "children" ride the "short bus" if you get my drift. Do you and your child a favor and relocate to a modern area of the country where opportunities abound. It surely is not West Virginny. TaTa for Now Lady of Quality ps We have hired many of the locals as domestics and gardners and some have been good. However most are not literate enough for indoor work and serving.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Kristie

New Tazewell, TN

#7 May 17, 2013
Thanks for the input from all of you, I definitely need to do some more research and thinking before I decide what to do. It's seems like I'm hearing more bad than good.
1 post removed
Kristie

New Tazewell, TN

#9 May 17, 2013
hughjanus wrote:
Been here all my life. Lived in eastern kanawha county growing up and now kanawha city. According to where u r in the state or sometimes a town it can be night and days difference. Drugs r bad in areas but not all. Jobs are hard to come by but some still succeed. Guess its like every where else really
Is the Kanawha area a nice place? I'm not a big city type of person. I'd rather have more of a relaxed country setting.
1 post removed
Kristie

New Tazewell, TN

#11 May 17, 2013
schrodinger wrote:
<quoted text>
Teays valley is more of a country setting. Kanawha city is right beside Charleston, and is definitely not a country setting.
Ok, thank you.
hughjanus

Charleston, WV

#12 May 17, 2013
Nope not country but still quiet where I am.
Hagatha May

Orlando, FL

#13 May 17, 2013
Kristie wrote:
<quoted text>Is the Kanawha area a nice place? I'm not a big city type of person. I'd rather have more of a relaxed country setting.
Possum, you definately do not want your child going to school there. A dear friend of mine was a professor there for awhile until he just could not deal with the ignorance and backwardness of the area any more. In his biology class he was administering the final exam and a question was the final. What is primarily found in almost all cells? One students answer? Blacks!!!! TaTa for now Lady of Quality ps just for the record, most of the class failed the final. The governor of WV has even offered free college tuition to the locals if they would agree to stay in WV for at least 2 years after graduating and work there. It is an effort to educate the local workforce. So far, not too many takers. WV population continues to decline, the ones who remain are not the cream of the crop so to speak.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hughjanus

Charleston, WV

#14 May 17, 2013
According to which part of kanawha city u r in makes a huge difference. Fox chase, mt alpha, quarry creek all better neighborhoods. Houses r spaced pretty far apart. Lots of woods. Very quiet and peaceful. But in town it's alot different than here
social circle

Altavista, VA

#15 May 18, 2013
Hey my family is from west virginia. we earn our money by owning coal mines there. We still own our house there. Its small and yes it can be depressing to live there. I myself have never lived there or went to school there but my father has and he has good thing to say about west virginia except the taxes! life is old there and things dont change. My aunt still lives there and I go out there and see her from time to time. I like it there..its slow but its quite there.
DTWBRC

South Point, OH

#16 May 19, 2013
I'm from WV, Boone County to be exact. I now live in Ohio. Kanawha City is a very nice place. If I were to move back to WV, Kanawha City would be my choice. It's very convenient, depending where you go, you can have a very nice home with a decent size yard for a suburban area. Very nice place to live.
Kanawha City

Charleston, WV

#17 May 19, 2013
KC is not the place it used to be. It's not terrible but it's not a place that you can let the kids go outside and not worry about them or leave your doors unlocked either. Like most of Charleston it was a great place in its time.
Person

Charleston, WV

#18 May 19, 2013
It's not the worst place to live, but it's far from the best. I love the beauty of the state, but the people here are so ****ing backwards that it isn't even funny. Not to mention that West Virginia has ALWAYS been in poverty. If you come here expecting great things, you will be disappointed. I'm going to be leaving next year. If I don't leave then, I never will leave. WV is like a black hole. You always get sucked back in whether you like it or not.
Kristie

New Tazewell, TN

#19 May 19, 2013
Person wrote:
It's not the worst place to live, but it's far from the best. I love the beauty of the state, but the people here are so ****ing backwards that it isn't even funny. Not to mention that West Virginia has ALWAYS been in poverty. If you come here expecting great things, you will be disappointed. I'm going to be leaving next year. If I don't leave then, I never will leave. WV is like a black hole. You always get sucked back in whether you like it or not.
What exactly do you mean by the people being backwards? I'm just curious at to how you mean backwards because you're not the only person that has told me that.
Person

Charleston, WV

#20 May 19, 2013
Kristie wrote:
<quoted text>What exactly do you mean by the people being backwards? I'm just curious at to how you mean backwards because you're not the only person that has told me that.
People here seem to go against logic. For example, people here constantly complained about Joe Manchin when he was here....yet they kept voting him back into office. They're still doing this with Earl Ray Tomblin!

Another noteworthy quality is that a lot of people here are rude as hell. There are major jerks here. I've dealt with employees in many occupations who are smart asses and don't want to do their jobs. Just the other day, I had to wait for more than THREE HOURS to get an oil change for my car. Normally it takes 30 minutes to get an oil change finished....and there's usually only two people doing it. However, in THIS OTHER place I went to, five of the employees were smoking cigarettes.

After two and a half hours of waiting, I raised hell and they looked at my like I was being an ass. People say that this is everywhere....and I can safely say that they are wrong. I've lived in Kentucky for two years, and it was ten times better than this place. Just because I was born and raised in West Virginia doesn't mean I'm obligated to accept the people who live here. That's why I am moving back to Kentucky in a year.
Stephen Adkins

United States

#21 May 19, 2013
Honey it's best you look online then ask about WV on here, not telling you that you should or shouldn't. That is just one person on here repeating nasty things about WV . It's a forum troll. There are quite a bit on Charleston. He's on other forums under several names telling fibs and posting nasty things about WV . Best bet for you, look online. Don't ask people on here. James, possum and Bertha and several other names he uses. It's just one person who likes telling lies. I think he's got a mental illness. WV is great! If you want country, move in kingwood Morgantown or other places like that. Don't move in charleston Logan or Boone . Everyday there are murders at those places. Don't pay any attention of what people say , there's many liars on this website. You'll find few truthful people and ones that don't have screws loose is rare , they can carry a conversation and be nice and honest.
Tammi

United States

#22 May 19, 2013
Sub Division is in Boone? When? Bull crap! I been through there myself. There is nothing much, living , all you have is trailers and mainly houses down that way.
Bubba

Saint Albans, WV

#23 May 20, 2013
Personal property tax laws needs to change for the citizens of West Virginia, the gas tax is the highest in the nation or close to, and politicians who we voted in 25 years ago are still in office. Why do we still vote them in office I cannot understand it. I wish things like having a volunteer or a paid state employee assisting a school bus driver was mandatory, having a nuisance law for people who lets their dogs run loose, having a law that says a person cannot hold a animal in their lap while driving, more bicycle roads for exercising, having a law that would make you clean up around your property when it gets so nasty, and making young students complete high school before dropping out at the age of 16 years old. A GED. Is fine for many, but actually graduating feels a whole lot better. One more thing, take all the deer and sell them to foreign countries because I have hit to many already.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy 420 Charleston 22 min Patrick Street Bum 9
Pray With Us The Lords Prayer April 17, 2018 23 min Lonnie 41
Can we stop painting vehicles flatt black 39 min Twoeightteen 1
Sandra A. Bradley 2 hr Popcorn time 2
Wreck at Dairy Winkle on Tuesday? 3 hr Patrick Street Bum 16
Male doctors are perverts... (Nov '16) 4 hr DirtyHarry 93
Thomas Health Systems Fined Tens of Million by ... 4 hr Angel 6

Charleston Jobs

Personal Finance

Charleston Mortgages