Best beer joint in Charleston

Posted in the Charleston Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cold brew

Martinsburg, WV

#1 May 14, 2012
kind of new to area and I like to have a cold one and mingle on occasions so where is the best beer joint around. It can be a dive I don't care I just want a neighborhood type atmosphere with cold beer and maybe a stiff drink.
Empire Club

United States

#2 May 14, 2012
The barge and grumpys are pretty cool spring and summer spots....whiskey river is a good drink spot!!!
Coors light

Martinsburg, WV

#3 May 14, 2012
The Cantina in Kanawha City is a good place to unwind.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#4 May 14, 2012
Coors light wrote:
The Cantina in Kanawha City is a good place to unwind.
the cantina is a dump
Cool

Charleston, WV

#5 May 14, 2012
Cold brew wrote:
kind of new to area and I like to have a cold one and mingle on occasions so where is the best beer joint around. It can be a dive I don't care I just want a neighborhood type atmosphere with cold beer and maybe a stiff drink.
If you want a legitimate beer joint, as in a seedy dive full of fringe characters, go to Shar's on the West Side. It's the real deal. It's on Central Avenue.

I highly recommend it.
Cool

Charleston, WV

#6 May 14, 2012
IRockUKnowIt wrote:
<quoted text>
the cantina is a dump
Beer joints are dumps buddy. How old are you anyway?
Coors light

Martinsburg, WV

#7 May 14, 2012
I'm full of crock and know it!

Not only do you not know how a womans body functions as evident with one of your posts (know it is not urine) you know nothing about beer joints. Are you sure you are a man?
HAHA

Culloden, WV

#8 May 14, 2012
Who the f even drinks beer or likes to drink to drink beer BESIDES trashy [email protected] hillbillies? Nobody i know of.
Coors light

Martinsburg, WV

#9 May 14, 2012
I have at least 7 to 10 beers nightly after work five nights a week and sometimes more, and on the weekends I have no clue how many I consume, but I guarantee it's a lot. I like to unwind after work with a few beers shoot some pool and jaw with the fellas. It is what I enjoy doing! I live walking distance to the bar so there is no drinking and driving. And the bar is the Cantina.

Since: Oct 11

Seth, WV

#10 May 14, 2012
Cool wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want a legitimate beer joint, as in a seedy dive full of fringe characters, go to Shar's on the West Side. It's the real deal. It's on Central Avenue.
I highly recommend it.
Shar's is a seedy dump. I wouldn't go anywhere on the West side...except maybe the smokehouse or Barney's, and those ain't great either. Mama rosa's is ok for dinner and beers with friends or family, but there's no bar.

To the OP, tell us what area you are in and we'll see if we can help. Charleston was always lacking in good neighborhood bars. The west side has a bunch, but I never cared much for getting stabbed in the face. There used to be a couple good bars around the mound in so chas. I also used to go to Griff's from time to time...also in so chas.
smiles

Charleston, WV

#11 May 14, 2012
Cool wrote:
<quoted text>Beer joints are dumps buddy. How old are you anyway?
34 and I was there many times when I was younger. The Cantina is one of the dirtiest bars around. How old is their carpet? It's gotta be at least 30 years old. It was probably a nice bar 30 years ago. How many shootings has that place had?
Ahhhahaha

Charleston, WV

#12 May 14, 2012
Shars isn't bad for a beer..been around a long time everyone knows everyone..theres a small bar close to fas check on the west side little place use to be called P and P years back lord knows what it is now but I stop in on occasion and another one on Tennessee ave that you're not likely to get robbed in.
Cool

Charleston, WV

#13 May 15, 2012
sempron wrote:
<quoted text>
Shar's is a seedy dump. I wouldn't go anywhere on the West side...except maybe the smokehouse or Barney's, and those ain't great either. Mama rosa's is ok for dinner and beers with friends or family, but there's no bar.
To the OP, tell us what area you are in and we'll see if we can help. Charleston was always lacking in good neighborhood bars. The west side has a bunch, but I never cared much for getting stabbed in the face. There used to be a couple good bars around the mound in so chas. I also used to go to Griff's from time to time...also in so chas.
You need to find yourself a nice fern bar. Go down to the East End and have yourself an appletini.
Good life

Charleston, WV

#14 May 15, 2012
The Gold Dome in Kanawha City Rocks. The beer is cold the chicks are easy and you can find just about any kind of drug your heart desires. Why go anywhere else.
Charleston Gal

Charleston, WV

#15 May 15, 2012
The Elk River Bar & Grill on Rt. 119 - closer to Mink Shoals (near Knollwood) is a good place to stop and have a beer - the bar overlooks the Elk River - you can sit outside on the deck where they allow you to smoke. Plus, they just opened the "grill" part of the bar and heard the food was OK. Lots of bikers, people all different ages, but no trouble allowed here at all.
Disagree

Charleston, WV

#16 May 15, 2012
Good life wrote:
The Gold Dome in Kanawha City Rocks. The beer is cold the chicks are easy and you can find just about any kind of drug your heart desires. Why go anywhere else.
..........if you like cockroaches crawling on you........
Good life

Charleston, WV

#17 May 15, 2012
Disagree

There are no insects and no trouble all that is just a myth, the only thing that'll be crawling on you is some hot ass chick wanting some fine loving.
my name.

Ardsley, NY

#18 May 16, 2012
Jesus
Loves
Everyone
Even
The
Unloveable!
<3
Dark Lager

Fairfield, VA

#19 May 16, 2012
HAHA wrote:
Who the f even drinks beer or likes to drink to drink beer BESIDES trashy [email protected] hillbillies? Nobody i know of.
Real men drink beer. It is no big surprise that you do not know any. I am sure you and all of your queer buddies sit around eating salads (or tossing them) and drinking Zima.
Local Gal

Kenna, WV

#20 May 17, 2012
Go to the Blue Parrot on Capital Street. Drink prices are the lowest on the block and Connie is the best bartender. She pours the largest shots also. If you're feeling brave ask for a 'Connie Shot' tastes really good but will put a hurting on ya quick!

Most everyone is a regular and no trouble except for the occasional angry drunk who is quick to be removed if causes any problems.

Monday Karaoke

Tuesdays Acoustic Open Mic with Steve Clever

Wednesdays Electric Jam with Prank Monkey

Thursdays alternate with Acoustic Open Mic hosted by Johnny Compton and open practices with Stych N Time.

Fridays and Saturdays live local music

Sundays Closed

Dont take my word for it see for yourself!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Miserable Xmas For All Inbreds In WV 55 min Jennifer 3
Kevin Comer If you're playing chess... 58 min Jennifer 3
camc 59 min Jennifer 1
News Chick-fil-A supporters take stand on gay marriage (Aug '12) 2 hr Justin 129
Capitol Cougars Boys Basketball 2 hr Truth 6
Is Kevin a homo? 3 hr Slim Pickens 1
Kevin is not the big bad wolf... 3 hr Jennifer Jo 1

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Charleston Mortgages