Secret Santa/Angel Tree

Posted in the Charleston Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Giver

Charleston, WV

#1 Oct 28, 2011
Can anyone tell me what kind of screening, if any, do the families of these "NEEDY CHILDREN" have to go through to prove that they are indeed in need? I am curious because when I have looked at The Salvation Army's Angel Tree, I've noticed that a lot were asking for video games for their EXPENSIVE game boxes.(Where did the game box come from?). You know, I would like to provide Christmas gifts for a child who is TRULY IN NEED. But I have issues when I look over @ The Salvation Army on the day that the Angel Tree gifts are distributed and see parents dressed to the nines, with big-dangling-shiny gold jewelry, smoking cigarettes, jerking their kids around, all the while loading the bags into their Escalades and other nice new cars!!(these are people who USE & ABUSE the system). I believe that instead of choosing an Angel or doing Secret Santa, I will choose a child on my own or an elderly person who is doing without!!
caral

Logan, WV

#2 Nov 2, 2011
and i really agree with this person, give ito children in need
caral

Logan, WV

#3 Nov 2, 2011
alot of these people do use th system, and its not right
whattt

Nitro, WV

#4 Nov 4, 2011
Giver wrote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of screening, if any, do the families of these "NEEDY CHILDREN" have to go through to prove that they are indeed in need? I am curious because when I have looked at The Salvation Army's Angel Tree, I've noticed that a lot were asking for video games for their EXPENSIVE game boxes.(Where did the game box come from?). You know, I would like to provide Christmas gifts for a child who is TRULY IN NEED. But I have issues when I look over @ The Salvation Army on the day that the Angel Tree gifts are distributed and see parents dressed to the nines, with big-dangling-shiny gold jewelry, smoking cigarettes, jerking their kids around, all the while loading the bags into their Escalades and other nice new cars!!(these are people who USE & ABUSE the system). I believe that instead of choosing an Angel or doing Secret Santa, I will choose a child on my own or an elderly person who is doing without!!


amen!!!
You're Disgusting

Huntington, WV

#5 Nov 5, 2011
Giver wrote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of screening, if any, do the families of these "NEEDY CHILDREN" have to go through to prove that they are indeed in need? I am curious because when I have looked at The Salvation Army's Angel Tree, I've noticed that a lot were asking for video games for their EXPENSIVE game boxes.(Where did the game box come from?). You know, I would like to provide Christmas gifts for a child who is TRULY IN NEED. But I have issues when I look over @ The Salvation Army on the day that the Angel Tree gifts are distributed and see parents dressed to the nines, with big-dangling-shiny gold jewelry, smoking cigarettes, jerking their kids around, all the while loading the bags into their Escalades and other nice new cars!!(these are people who USE & ABUSE the system). I believe that instead of choosing an Angel or doing Secret Santa, I will choose a child on my own or an elderly person who is doing without!!
That is a gross exaggeration and anyone who believes you is an utter fool.
Giver

Columbus, OH

#6 Nov 5, 2011
[QUOTE who="You're Disgusting"]<quoted text>That is a gross exaggeration and anyone who believes you is an utter fool.[/QUOTE]

My statement is FAR FROM BEING A GROSS EXAGGERATION!! I have seen it with my own eyes!! How about being there on distribution day and see for yourself!
And by the way I am not the only person who feel this way!
please.

Saint Albans, WV

#7 Jan 24, 2012
Giver wrote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of screening, if any, do the families of these "NEEDY CHILDREN" have to go through to prove that they are indeed in need? I am curious because when I have looked at The Salvation Army's Angel Tree, I've noticed that a lot were asking for video games for their EXPENSIVE game boxes.(Where did the game box come from?). You know, I would like to provide Christmas gifts for a child who is TRULY IN NEED. But I have issues when I look over @ The Salvation Army on the day that the Angel Tree gifts are distributed and see parents dressed to the nines, with big-dangling-shiny gold jewelry, smoking cigarettes, jerking their kids around, all the while loading the bags into their Escalades and other nice new cars!!(these are people who USE & ABUSE the system). I believe that instead of choosing an Angel or doing Secret Santa, I will choose a child on my own or an elderly person who is doing without!!
I was one of those parents in need this year. This was my first year doing this program for my children not myself. I was highly embarrassed that I had to resort to this. Sorry but I don't own my own car at the moment, I left an abusive husband and trying to get on my feet. BUT I do own a wii that was bought before the divorce, does that make me a user? Guess I should have stayed and git beat some more so I wouldnt ever have to ask for help. I took advantage of the system? These stereo typical, judgmental people is exactly why I am embrassed to show my face, I may have a pretty purse, or shoes that probably came from walmart! Thanks but judgement is not for you to assume.
Zane

Charleston, WV

#8 Jan 24, 2012
Parents will get toys from 3 or 4 different agencies. They bleed the system all they can.
eyeball

United States

#9 Jan 24, 2012
These programs should be monitored.
giver

Charleston, WV

#10 Jan 24, 2012
[QUOTE who="please."]<qu oted text>I was one of those parents in need this year. This was my first year doing this program for my children not myself. I was highly embarrassed that I had to resort to this. Sorry but I don't own my own car at the moment, I left an abusive husband and trying to get on my feet. BUT I do own a wii that was bought before the divorce, does that make me a user? Guess I should have stayed and git beat some more so I wouldnt ever have to ask for help. I took advantage of the system? These stereo typical, judgmental people is exactly why I am embrassed to show my face, I may have a pretty purse, or shoes that probably came from walmart! Thanks but judgement is not for you to assume.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry that you were in this situation. If you will reread my statement I said "a lot of these people" if you aren't one of these people then you have nothing to be embarrassed about!
My thoughts are when I look at those trees, if they are truly in need, why aren't the parents asking for clothes or educational toys, instead of the video games?
yes

United States

#11 Jan 24, 2012
giver wrote:
[QUOTE who="please."]<qu oted text>I was one of those parents in need this year. This was my first year doing this program for my children not myself. I was highly embarrassed that I had to resort to this. Sorry but I don't own my own car at the moment, I left an abusive husband and trying to get on my feet. BUT I do own a wii that was bought before the divorce, does that make me a user? Guess I should have stayed and git beat some more so I wouldnt ever have to ask for help. I took advantage of the system? These stereo typical, judgmental people is exactly why I am embrassed to show my face, I may have a pretty purse, or shoes that probably came from walmart! Thanks but judgement is not for you to assume."

I am sorry that you were in this situation. If you will reread my statement I said "a lot of these people" if you aren't one of these people then you have nothing to be embarrassed about!
My thoughts are when I look at those trees, if they are truly in need, why aren't the parents asking for clothes or educational toys, instead of the video games?
Many of the ones I saw were for clothes this year.
I've seen them bleed the system, and I've seen the need. We can't ignore the kids who have crappy parents. Just choose a good program and do the best you can.:)
FYI, I've haven't been a secret Santa since getting burned one year. I was 17 and came from a poor family myself. We never participated in any such program, but a club at school that i was part of worked their tails off providing christmas for a large family. I stayed up half the night before wrapping those gifts and was so proud. When we got there to drop off, we were treated with such disrespect and had a hard time finding room for our gifts amongst everything else they received! The only redeeming thing about it was the smile on one little boy's face. I was heartbroken, and it's stories like that that got many to change their policies. Participants can only sign up for one program, supposedly.
I do buy gifts for the angel tree. As far as the one my church participates in, people are nominated. I think they can sign up but I remember the church asking people to sign up any family they know of that needed help.
giver

Charleston, WV

#12 Jan 24, 2012
yes wrote:
<quoted text>Many of the ones I saw were for clothes this year.
I've seen them bleed the system, and I've seen the need. We can't ignore the kids who have crappy parents. Just choose a good program and do the best you can.:)
FYI, I've haven't been a secret Santa since getting burned one year. I was 17 and came from a poor family myself. We never participated in any such program, but a club at school that i was part of worked their tails off providing christmas for a large family. I stayed up half the night before wrapping those gifts and was so proud. When we got there to drop off, we were treated with such disrespect and had a hard time finding room for our gifts amongst everything else they received! The only redeeming thing about it was the smile on one little boy's face. I was heartbroken, and it's stories like that that got many to change their policies. Participants can only sign up for one program, supposedly.
I do buy gifts for the angel tree. As far as the one my church participates in, people are nominated. I think they can sign up but I remember the church asking people to sign up any family they know of that needed help.
The way that your church is doing this is great!
not new

United States

#13 Jan 24, 2012
giver wrote:
<quoted text>The way that your church is doing this is great!
I like it too. It blesses people that may not expect it or want to reach out.
please.

Saint Albans, WV

#14 Jan 24, 2012
yes wrote:
<quoted text>Many of the ones I saw were for clothes this year.
I've seen them bleed the system, and I've seen the need. We can't ignore the kids who have crappy parents. Just choose a good program and do the best you can.:)
FYI, I've haven't been a secret Santa since getting burned one year. I was 17 and came from a poor family myself. We never participated in any such program, but a club at school that i was part of worked their tails off providing christmas for a large family. I stayed up half the night before wrapping those gifts and was so proud. When we got there to drop off, we were treated with such disrespect and had a hard time finding room for our gifts amongst everything else they received! The only redeeming thing about it was the smile on one little boy's face. I was heartbroken, and it's stories like that that got many to change their policies. Participants can only sign up for one program, supposedly.
I do buy gifts for the angel tree. As far as the one my church participates in, people are nominated. I think they can sign up but I remember the church asking people to sign up any family they know of that needed help.
I was absolutely astonished by the gifts, I expected to receive some help but I was fighting back tears when they handed me a few huge bags of gifts. I was overwhelmed with relief, I thanked god instantly, and for the people or person that did so much for us. I have two girls that mostly wanted clothes, I put that on the list as well as barbies and dolls. What I received was so much more than that! I am and was so very appreciative of this program and the donator. They even sent a gift for the mother which I didn't expect and that gift was the only thing I got for Christmas. I cant put into words how truly blessed I was and still am. I am sorry you had a bad experience, but rest assured there are very thankful people still out there.
yessir

Saint Albans, WV

#15 Jan 25, 2012
yes wrote:
<quoted text>Many of the ones I saw were for clothes this year.
I've seen them bleed the system, and I've seen the need. We can't ignore the kids who have crappy parents. Just choose a good program and do the best you can.:)
FYI, I've haven't been a secret Santa since getting burned one year. I was 17 and came from a poor family myself. We never participated in any such program, but a club at school that i was part of worked their tails off providing christmas for a large family. I stayed up half the night before wrapping those gifts and was so proud. When we got there to drop off, we were treated with such disrespect and had a hard time finding room for our gifts amongst everything else they received! The only redeeming thing about it was the smile on one little boy's face. I was heartbroken, and it's stories like that that got many to change their policies. Participants can only sign up for one program, supposedly.
I do buy gifts for the angel tree. As far as the one my church participates in, people are nominated. I think they can sign up but I remember the church asking people to sign up any family they know of that needed help.
Still annoys me a bit you can't ignore kids that have crappy parents statement..some parents don't care enough to apply for help for their children or don't care enough to have their children. Maybe you should not assume you know every situation and circumstance.
spot

Poca, WV

#16 Jan 25, 2012
[QUOTE who="please."]<qu oted text>I was absolutely astonished by the gifts, I expected to receive some help but I was fighting back tears when they handed me a few huge bags of gifts. I was overwhelmed with relief, I thanked god instantly, and for the people or person that did so much for us. I have two girls that mostly wanted clothes, I put that on the list as well as barbies and dolls. What I received was so much more than that! I am and was so very appreciative of this program and the donator. They even sent a gift for the mother which I didn't expect and that gift was the only thing I got for Christmas. I cant put into words how truly blessed I was and still am. I am sorry you had a bad experience, but rest assured there are very thankful people still out there.[/QUOTE]
God bless you and your family :) I am glad that people that needed some assistance actually recieved it! The saying goes a few bad people ruin it for the ones who truly need it- sad, but true.
giver

Charleston, WV

#17 Jan 25, 2012
spot wrote:
[QUOTE who="please."]<qu oted text>I was absolutely astonished by the gifts, I expected to receive some help but I was fighting back tears when they handed me a few huge bags of gifts. I was overwhelmed with relief, I thanked god instantly, and for the people or person that did so much for us. I have two girls that mostly wanted clothes, I put that on the list as well as barbies and dolls. What I received was so much more than that! I am and was so very appreciative of this program and the donator. They even sent a gift for the mother which I didn't expect and that gift was the only thing I got for Christmas. I cant put into words how truly blessed I was and still am. I am sorry you had a bad experience, but rest assured there are very thankful people still out there."

God bless you and your family :) I am glad that people that needed some assistance actually recieved it! The saying goes a few bad people ruin it for the ones who truly need it- sad, but true.
Well said!
familymom

Richmond, VA

#18 Oct 3, 2012
Giver wrote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of screening, if any, do the families of these "NEEDY CHILDREN" have to go through to prove that they are indeed in need? I am curious because when I have looked at The Salvation Army's Angel Tree, I've noticed that a lot were asking for video games for their EXPENSIVE game boxes.(Where did the game box come from?). You know, I would like to provide Christmas gifts for a child who is TRULY IN NEED. But I have issues when I look over @ The Salvation Army on the day that the Angel Tree gifts are distributed and see parents dressed to the nines, with big-dangling-shiny gold jewelry, smoking cigarettes, jerking their kids around, all the while loading the bags into their Escalades and other nice new cars!!(these are people who USE & ABUSE the system). I believe that instead of choosing an Angel or doing Secret Santa, I will choose a child on my own or an elderly person who is doing without!!
//[well i hope innocent ppl like me don't to suffer the consequences, i may b one of those ppl dressd to a T getn out of an escalade smokin a cigarette not jerkn my kid but probably sternly asking them to behave like they were taught how as far as asking im happy to recieve watever is given so does my child, but difference is you may not know that we lookn fly because of the ppl we hang with gives us their hand me downs or that the escalade that we was getn out of was sumone who was nice enough to give us a ride, we may not have a car and yes we smoke possibly even bumd the cigarette from someone who was already standing out there so hopefully if you do have sumthn done about it u will not assume wrong and the innocent children be the one one to pay for it from the decision you made without even knowing if it was actually what you thought it seemd to be![familymom]
inneedofhelp

Clarksburg, WV

#19 Nov 7, 2012
I tried signing my children up at the salvation army and I was told they are not accepting anymore children.. I know a girl that make over $2,000 a month and they let her on it.. BUt here I am a mother in need and can't get nothing. Do u know anywhere else I'd be able to sign them up?
Momof1

Charleston, WV

#20 Nov 7, 2012
inneedofhelp wrote:
I tried signing my children up at the salvation army and I was told they are not accepting anymore children.. I know a girl that make over $2,000 a month and they let her on it.. BUt here I am a mother in need and can't get nothing. Do u know anywhere else I'd be able to sign them up?
call south park ministries I think it's called. I only know a little about the program because I volunteered last Christmas. You can only do it once in a lifetime but our volunteers try our hardest to shop for the whole family. Salvation army's angel tree is a great program but their cut off date is early so they can reach a goal. Not to mention the program gives work to people through the kettle collections. Really a win win.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FemiNazi Workman to be CJ 1 hr Rasta Me 2
Hi ladies Tom Clark 4 hr Thomas Allen Clark 2
What do black people get for Christmas? 5 hr cookin with lard 6
tired of whiny, lazy feminist woman 5 hr Grim 5
Thank you CAMC!! 6 hr MerryChristmas 8
Oasis salon 7 hr nasty 5
sonny k 7 hr lauren 7
Just found out my fiance dated a black man 10 hr ron reagan 37
Charleston Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Charleston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Charleston News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Charleston

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:57 am PST

ESPN11:57AM
Bengals TE Eifert will not return this season
NBC Sports12:24 PM
Cam Heyward embraces leadership role with Steelers - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports 2:01 PM
Chiefs quarterback Smith out with lacerated spleen
Bleacher Report 8:26 PM
5 Bold Predictions for Pittsburgh Steelers' Week 17 Matchup
Bleacher Report11:44 PM
Denver Broncos: Why the Run Defense Isn't a Concern