South Carolina, Washington state watch for Boeing growth hints

There are 9 comments on the Business Journal story from May 29, 2012, titled South Carolina, Washington state watch for Boeing growth hints. In it, Business Journal reports that:

Hints by Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Jim Albaugh that Boeing might expand in Charleston or push 787 production above 10 a month are being watched closely on both coasts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Business Journal.

gopack

Shelby, NC

#1 May 29, 2012
Boeing sux. Low wages forces employees to work way to many hours to compensate for the lack of pay. Big company taking full advantage of people in a bad economy.
I work there

Summerville, SC

#3 Dec 11, 2013
Boeing actually pays pretty well all things considered. Remember we are in the south. Over the last 2 years my pay has increased 6 dollars an hour. Not bad.
The Truth

Goose Creek, SC

#4 Dec 12, 2013
The truth is, Boeing DOES pay low wages, even for skilled workers in the south. For manufacturing, most of the employees are unskilled and know very little about aviation and come from fast food industry. Boeing have to put these people through paid training and relocation cost upfront.

Have to admit, there are two Boeing airplane company, one union and the other non-union. As a non-union flight line worker, Boeing have hired former airline and military mechanics who knows what the hell they are doing. In Everett, the flight line mechanic transfer from production. 787 from EVT are horrible and are the causes of ALL of the problem. Clearly, its union sabbatoge of the program and I highly doubt that even with union consessions will see anything beyond 737 and 767 program due to antagonizing unions in Washington.

Flight line pay also does NOT match the industry also. For example, all starts out at $22 even though 60-80% of us came from airlines paying $35 with flight benefits and same medical and 401K benefits. Over past 2 years, my pay increased $1 due to management favoritism of writing average on your PM.
The Truth

Goose Creek, SC

#5 Dec 12, 2013
Average means a .30 cent raise every 1/2 year.
More Truth

Dallas, TX

#6 Dec 12, 2013
Even the contractors out there do construction like Eldeco pays dirt cheap wages. No wonder they have to use staffing companies. They have a very bad reputation all over the southeast. Nobody will work for them. Especially with the mean spirited supervision they have. Who wants to work for power freak bullies with the traits of sociopaths?
More Truth

Dallas, TX

#7 Dec 12, 2013
I work there wrote:
Boeing actually pays pretty well all things considered. Remember we are in the south. Over the last 2 years my pay has increased 6 dollars an hour. Not bad.
I know for a fact that you are full of it.
Traveler

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 15, 2013
I work there is a factory worker and start $12 an hour and they do go up $6 but don't know that it takes two years unless you formally work at building 19 or 20 for a while.
I work there

Summerville, SC

#9 Dec 16, 2013
More Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I know for a fact that you are full of it.
I am not full of it. I had a change of job title, so that helped a little bit. And over a 2 dollar raise from the PM salary adjustments I have received while working there. Also I didn't come in as a former hamburger flipper.

But you don't need to believe me.
I work there

Summerville, SC

#10 Dec 20, 2013
No response...Crazy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do We Celebrate Memorial Day? 8 hr Will Dockery 1
is the city of Charleston becoming more raciall... 14 hr neo the powerful 2
why are racist cops getting away with murder in... 14 hr hlanyn tutah 1
Wack-job: Steven Trustrum is a racist cyberbull... 14 hr hlanyn tutah 2
100s Of New Illegal Aliens Building Dorchester ... May 22 Auto Repair 2
Judge Deadra Jefferson Goes Light On Brutal Rapist (Dec '11) May 22 This Is Not 15 Ye... 16
Attorney General in Bed with Solicitor Barbara ... (Nov '07) May 19 Carroll 15
More from around the web

Charleston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]