TV show looking for families for backyard makeover!

Posted in the Charleston Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Indoors Out TV Show

Chesterfield, MO

#1 Sep 9, 2009
DIY Network’s “Indoors Out” is looking for young, hip and high energy couples/families who have always wanted to transform their bland yard into a comfortable outdoor living space!
Indoors Out” is a half-hour program that features one of the hottest areas in home improvement – the building of outdoor living spaces. From firepits to outdoor kitchens to patios and decks, hosts, Dean and Derek, lead a large crew of contractors to build unique, functional and eye-popping spaces, expanding the living area of the house into the great outdoors. We shoot from beginning to end in three days! Check out our show’s website: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dind .
Potential homeowner candidates MUST:
-be between the ages of 25-50 who are high energy and hip
-own their home
-be comfortable in front of the camera
-have an idea of the type of “outdoor room” they would like i.e. an outdoor dining room, kitchen, etc. The more creative the better i.e. outdoor bedroom, office, art studio, etc!
-have at least $10,000 to go towards the project. Our projects are not free for the homeowner, but homeowners do get a tremendous bang for their buck! Our production team will work their magic on getting products/services donated or discounted, but homeowners should be willing to put at least $10,000 into the project. Our past 40 homeowners got a fantastic yard makeover at a fraction of the price.
We partner up with local landscaping crews to complete the projects in each city that we go to. So, if you have a landscaping company in mind, please let us know about them!
Dates filming in Charleston area:
Home #1 – November 9-11, 2010
Home #2 – November 12-14, 2010
If you fit the mandatory criteria above, please send ALL of the following information to our production team:
1) Names
2) Ages
3) Occupations
4) Photo of you and your significant other (and children if you have any)
5) Photo of your current yard
6) Type of “outdoor room” that you’d like
7) A little bit about you! Don’t be shy!
8) Do you have a local landscaping company that you’d like to work with?
PLEASE do NOT contact us if you are hoping to get an entirely free project!
If you answer ALL of the above criteria and we will you fit the needs of the show, please email emcgovern@nahb.com. Our production team will contact you for a phone interview, if you fit the bill.
christopher gannon

Southampton, PA

#2 May 16, 2010
i have a yard that would be good for a back yard makeover. i work the night shift at a local food store and my mother is a retired school teacher. we live in the Philadelphia Pa area. the yard that we would be looking for is an area for my mom grandchildern play in. the yard we have not is small but with a make over there would be more space for them to play with.
what crap

Osteen, FL

#3 Jun 26, 2010
just noticed your criteria:

Must be hip (who decides what hip is)
Between the ages of 25 to 50 (sounds like discrimination)

Must have at least $10,000.00 (that narrows the field down to the haves ... have-nots need not apply).

Next you'll be eliminating people with red hair.

U-all are too full of yourselves ... I just turned off the DIY network (too hip for me)
Sensible

Springdale, AR

#4 Aug 7, 2010
First, it is not discrimination. It is demographics. They are targeting the same people to be on the show as watch the show.

As for the $10k, the majority of home makeover shows do not give the makeover away. They usually require the homeowner to pitch in and pay something towards the project. After all, it is your home that is being improved, increasing in value, etc.

And for the red-heads... if they wanted to do a show about brunettes and their bathrooms, yes, they would have every right to eliminate those with red hair.

Bottom line is that it is their show and they get to decide who is on it.
Ron

Oak Park, IL

#7 Mar 28, 2011
My backyard is in dire need of a makeup. Our yard is big and in 3 levels with railroad ties holding up several sections. My deck is old and it just needs some cleaning up. My wife is due with my daughter on April 6th and it’s a shame I can’t put a swing set in for her because my yard is in so many levels. PLEASE HELP.

EMAIL: rammin.doggie@gmail.com
Bolingbrook, IL
I live in Georgia

La Fayette, GA

#8 Jun 20, 2011
I would love a backyard makeover
I meet the requirements, Where do I send the pictures?
I live in Georgia

La Fayette, GA

#9 Jun 20, 2011
My yard is level and I live in a middle class subdivision. We own our home.. We don't owe a penny on it.. I love my home but my back yard is bare.. I'm wanting to have a back yard makeover. We are a family of 3 , spouse, me and my son who is 9.. I'm ready if you are.. I have the money.. Contact me please!
Edward tracz

Burlington, Canada

#10 Jun 26, 2011
My sisters back yard needs help!! Her and her husband have two young girls and little time to tend to their back yard that was neglected by the former owner. They renovated their entire house them selves but still have work to do inside. The outside is a big big mess with aweful damaged and missing grass, large cut down tree with logs all over uneven ground sloaping towards the house, weeds almost taller than me. if you need a candidate for a tv or sweepstakes make over. Please keep my wonderful sister and her family in mind. PLEASE HELP Them!
Located in Burlington Ontario Canada. Thank you.

Edwardtracz@hotmail.com
Debbie Basso

West Palm Beach, FL

#11 Sep 11, 2011
My husband and I were married and moved into our home about 16 years ago. Since then we've had 2 children who are currently 8 and 11 years old. Our property is 1.5 acres in a rural setting in the suburbs of West Palm Beach, Florida. Our backyard needs help to say the least. We have an overgrown pond, a tattered awning with piles of various lawn furniture, a few piles of dirt and concrete, a large metal building at one end of the yard, and no place to enjoy anything. We've talked about a vegetable garden, a nice concrete porch, a pool, a fence, a landscaped pond, but never seem to get there. We would love a natural, native, South Florida landscape that requires little water and supports our wildlife, but is also visually appealing and enjoyable for our family. I'm not sure where to even begin, especially with the mess of a pond we have. We'd love to have your help and guidance with designing and transforming our backyard into a space we can enjoy for years.
Hoping to be chosen,
Debbie Basso
Loxahatchee, FL
Fredericksburg Texas

Cedar Creek, TX

#12 Sep 26, 2011
Hello! After renting my home for the last few years the back yard is now in terrible shape. My husband and I are so looking forward to moving back into our beloved home. We do a great deal of entertaining. We have company over for dinner at least 2 nights a week. Among our friends, we are always the hosts -- and we love it. We live on a corner lot and know all our neighbors well. I resigned my teaching job to open a non-profit homeschool cooperative. My husband and I both teach there and tutor in the afternoons. I have a small catering business and am trying get a line of soups into production. I am also working on opening a dyslexia center here. Oh...lol... I am also disabled! OA, RA, psoratic arthritis, fibrmyalga, chronic fatige syndrom and mygranosis! Whew! But, I manage better than you might imagine. I have had these issues since I was a teenager so I push. I love stargazing and teach children about the night sky - from names of contellations and ay, this would be a welcome oasis and well used stars to the mythology behind it. Thank you for your kind and gracious consideration of us.
Bella the Bull Dog

San Jose, CA

#13 Dec 7, 2011
Writing on behalf of my mom Ellie. We live in Sonoma California and want to celebrate the third birthday our grand daughter Seasun this summer in a yard we can be proud of. We are a little embarrassed of our yard. We have grass that looks like a patch work quilt, cracked and lifting cement, and plants that are so old to even talk about. My mom works in sales and has been limited in her income due to the economy. We love to garden and have many friends and family that are willing to help transform our home into something beautiful that we can be proud of. We hope you will consider us, and if you do please bring dog bones.....I love treats!
Sincerely,
Bella the Bull Dog
shun Lewis

United States

#14 Dec 17, 2011
I have a beautiful backyard plenty of potential. I 100% positive that you will have good ratings
Dessie Lynn

Douglasville, GA

#15 Jan 16, 2012
My backyard is full of potential and many people who see it state it is "a diamond in the rough" with challenges from no landscaping to erosion issues complicated by flood damage from Sept 2009 in the Atlanta area. When I brought my house, my children were babies and I always dreamed of fixing up the backyard for them to play, bring friends over and entertain but this has never materialized. With many attempts to transform falling way too short and turning into nothing but ambititous, unfinished projects, my backyard remains untamed yet full of potential. I get so frustrated when I look outside because its so beautiful with its running creek and sloping hills yet so ugly with clay dirt, over grown weeds and debris from the creek. I am now a single parent and an unemployed veteran. My yard is reflective of the changes in our lives and has weathered everything from divorce to an unexpected mobilization, flood damage to unemployment. Boy, could our backyard use a makeover!! I can not tell you how much happiness, uplifting and what a blessing it would be to me and children to finally be able to enjoy our backyard! Thanks so much for your consideration.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#20 Jan 27, 2012
rte
Hdv92392

Sherman Oaks, CA

#22 Mar 8, 2012
I have the backyard and the money but where do I submit the info requested?
Gianni

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#23 Mar 13, 2012
I have a third of acre on the water with view of taylor creek in joppa MD. The place is called Rumsey island. I am a Army Vet from NYC that bought my first place because I was done renting. I was moved (BRAC)from the Jersey shore out here to Maryland.I wanted to stay by the water so I bought what I could afford something on the water because it was my dream home.The last earth quake destroyed most of my interior the house was not in great condtion to start with anyways it kind of help me with the tear down. I have been hard at work fixing the inside but its only me for the most part. The insurance only coverd a forth of the total damages. My family all lives in NYC so its a trip to get some help. The view is awesome but there is a lot of work need to be done in the yard but the location and view is something you got to see for your self .I just wish I could have some one help me with the out side so I can enjoy it for the summer
Apple Valley MN

Lakeville, MN

#24 Mar 17, 2012
We have great potential for a wonderful backyard space, but we do not know how to do it. We need someone with vision and ability to make it happen for us. It is not a huge backyard, but we have a couple of levels and it sort of feels like we are in a bowl, so I think some retaining walls are needed or some cool steps. A great fire-pit area would be awesome with a great sitting area to entertain. Maybe even some kind of natural water-fall would be cool to add in. I think before and after pics would be amazing and wow-factor for sure! I am 48 and my husband is 51. We have an 18 yr old daughter and a 15 year old son. Oh, and we have a dog named Sebastian. Please pick us for your next project. Come quick! We understand that we need to pitch in for the project :) We were hoping to get it done before our daughter has her senior grad party. Wouldn't it be AWESOME!
Tracy Lyle

Kissimmee, FL

#25 Mar 19, 2012
I would Loooooove to have a backyard makeover!!! I bought a house 2 years ago, and outside of the BIG bare backyard it is adorable....I am single after 20 yrs of marriage and on the home stretch to parenting and can spend some money and time "Oasising" my backyard! well, so i thought......until at 42, with a history of cancer and currently in menopause found out I was PREGNANT!! Yes, pregnant! lol!! Of coarse after the shock set in I can see that my brand new daughter is a blessing from God. However......20 more years of NO social life, no extra money and ALOT of time home and in the Yard!!! If I could turn my backyard into a wonderful and beautiful place for both my daughter and myself and friends it sure would help take the sting out of being sentenced to the house for another 20! lol... Anyway Thanks for letting me enter and i will be hoping and praying I hear from ya'll....Sincerly, Tracy Lyle
Jenna Guerra

Fort Washington, MD

#26 Apr 1, 2012
Hi,
I recently got out of the Army to spend more time with my kids, I was only able to get a job in the dc area because of the kind of work I do. The transition has been really tough on our family since I work full time and take care of our two boys. My husband is still on active duty and ended up getting stationed at Fort Riley, KA so we are geographically seperate making thing quite rough. We have two wonderful, high energy and extremely smart boys that love to play outside. Our boys stay home with the nanny all day so they need a safe place to play outside and would get great use out of a wonderful out door space. I love to garden on weekends and work on projects in my shead. We just bought this house in oxon hill md near the beautiful national hardor, I'm sure your team would theroly enjoy this project. Please come and transform our out door living space.

Since: Apr 12

Middleburg, FL

#27 Apr 8, 2012
I think our backyard has finally got the best of this military couple. Could be extremely beautiful, but it would take us and 2 sets of clones to get it and keep it that way. Fresh out of backyard success.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Solicitor candidates focus on court system (Jan '08) 2 hr William Morgan 4
Special Report part 4: The violence at home Tue William Morgan 2
Judge in Episcopal schism trial: It's a civil m... Oct 19 Selecia Jones- JA... 18
Should I let my 12 yr old get her nipples pierced? (Dec '08) Oct 18 Aiswjwshkwjaiqiw 156
Candidates Face Off in Gubernatorial Debate Oct 16 rico 1
Lawyers Like Patricia DeTreville (Oct '07) Oct 16 Crooked Lawyers 17
Union ramps up effort to organize Boeing plant Oct 15 Shut Them Down 4
Charleston Dating
Find my Match

Charleston Jobs

Charleston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Charleston News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Charleston

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]