Cary

Charleston, SC

#1 Oct 8, 2013
Somebody needs to say it, so I guess I am it. Like all businesses that fail, Piggly Wiggly succumed to the primary reason for failure-being failure to satisfy the customer.
For years shopping at the Pig was not just a habit, but a tradition. However, we all noticed the stores were never quite clean. Ever notice that some Pigs have that decidedly unhygencic smell? When Publix came into the market and Walmart began offering groceries, we stopped going to the Pig.
Another factor-some of the staff at the Pig lacked manners. The last time I visited North Bridge Pig-this was a few years ago-the cashier greeted the 3 customers ahead of me with "Good Morning". When I came to the register, she not only did not greet me, she did not reply to my greeting. It was obviously a racial issue. I said "good morning" to her, no response. I left my groceries on the belt and walked out and never set foot in that store again.
Finally, there are the prices.
It's a shame, but life goes on. The Pig has gone the way of every other failure that never learned to deliver on service an value.
Bye Bye Piggy

Columbia, SC

#2 Oct 10, 2013
Black people who work the check out lanes, even at Walmart many of them are racist towards white people. It really got bad when Obama was elected to destroy our nation. It is sad, but the USA is over. It is finished, just as the Pig is over.
poopymcgee

Charleston, SC

#3 Oct 11, 2013
I am white and black people seemed nicer to me after obama got elected. but i always treated them the same, if anything i get treated worse by white people in places like Mount Pleasant than in west ashley to charleston/North charleston.

I always thought the pig was just too expensive, the only thing worth going there for was hard to find bbq sauces and hot sauces, but they did have a good lunchtime deli.

The whole buy local crap really did get on my nerves, why pay more for lower quality or smaller produce. the checkout lanes are still better than at walmart but i gladly take the rudeness for the cost savings.

and lets not forget bilo bought piggly wiggly and harris teeter and they are cutting pig stores so they can bring back the bilo name

piggly wiggly got too smug with their lame marketing anyway i won't miss them
Goose Creek

Charleston, SC

#4 Oct 13, 2013
poopymcgee wrote:
I am white and black people seemed nicer to me after obama got elected. but i always treated them the same, if anything i get treated worse by white people in places like Mount Pleasant than in west ashley to charleston/North charleston.
I always thought the pig was just too expensive, the only thing worth going there for was hard to find bbq sauces and hot sauces, but they did have a good lunchtime deli.
The whole buy local crap really did get on my nerves, why pay more for lower quality or smaller produce. the checkout lanes are still better than at walmart but i gladly take the rudeness for the cost savings.
and lets not forget bilo bought piggly wiggly and harris teeter and they are cutting pig stores so they can bring back the bilo name
piggly wiggly got too smug with their lame marketing anyway i won't miss them
There seems to be a subset within society that feels racism and rudeness are acceptable. I do notice a lot of black cashiers are truly wonderful, but there are a couple that make it known, overtly or covertly, that they hate you because you are white.
The question that I have is when a white cashier is a jerk, what then do I blame that on?
As far as PW goes, the stores were worn and tired and the prices were not competitive.
I had a funny thing happen to me just last week. I hated the local BILO in Summerville. It was, like the Pig, dirty and the staff was generally unfriendly. Well, I was forced by circumstances to stop there and WHOA-I was shocked to find the store was clean and damned if no less than three staff members greeted me. I thought I was in Publix! Maybe they see that people like to shop in clean and pleasant surroundings after all!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jim Christman 7 hr HTB 36
Illegal Mexicans In Charleston Are Felons Sun Stan The Felon 3
Why are white women so insecure (Dec '11) Feb 26 yeah yeah 28
Lauren Lewis Feb 26 Seen It 1
Moving to the area soon.... Feb 24 brandi 5
South Carolina Police Arrest 'Frozen's' Elsa Fo... Feb 24 Spotted Girl 2
James Christman Feb 21 curious 7
Charleston Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web