Ordinances would not affect fall rally

Ordinances would not affect fall rally

There are 310 comments on the Myrtle Beach Online story from Sep 20, 2008, titled Ordinances would not affect fall rally. In it, Myrtle Beach Online reports that:

Hundreds participate in a poker run of motorcycles and golf carts beginning at the O.D. Arcade and Lounge in North Myrtle Beach on Sunday, Aug.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
FYI

Sumter, SC

#2 Sep 20, 2008
Who cares about g a y motorcycle rallys..The important thing is that Sarah Palin is freakin HOT!!!
true that

Sumter, SC

#3 Sep 20, 2008
you are right FYI. Sarah Palin is very hot. Now the ralley they talk about hear is the gay pride rally that occurs twice in may and once in oct. It is gay men and women and some transvestites that come to the beach to enjoy the tourist attractions.
Bikers are Lame

Sumter, SC

#4 Sep 21, 2008
Sarah is hot!! These gay bikers need to be in Key West or San francisco wearing all that leather , they would get a much better reception. Hurry up city council and have the second vote so the learning curve can begin , as I have no doubt it will take most of these bikers a long time to learn.
Bikers Are Pansies

United States

#5 Sep 21, 2008
The only way that bikers feel "tough" when there's a bunch around. No one on one battle for these guys. If you fight one biker, you've gotta fight the whole gang. Hell, they'll even tell you THAT. Honesty and cowardice. What a mix. How do they show their "toughness"? Why, by "revving their engines". Geez, like they're the only ones who can lay their foot on the gas. Bikers just want these "rallies" for the "look at me" self fullfillment they didn't get as children. And that's what most bikers are--children who,for some reason, never grew up.
truth b told

Sumter, SC

#6 Sep 21, 2008
You bunch of dumb rednecks
Grand Dunes

Ladson, SC

#7 Sep 21, 2008
Well, this is certainly a course of action. I doubt it is the most plausible outcome for next May. Surely some that don't benefit, and in fact, have costs imposed upon them, will try and challenge these local ordinances in court on many grounds. Especially interesting is the administrative angle. If I understand this correctly, a 24 year old lawyer (the average graduate is 21 and then has to work three years), could then sit in judgement of these extra-legal ordinances and can administer fines, which if not paid, can lead to a regular court date and fines for not paying the fines. I find that odd. Everyone has the right to a jury trial no matter how small the infraction, though it is often not necessary for minor traffic matters.

But here, I can see a clever barrister filing a writ to challenge the administrative courts jurisdiction over the matter, which normally is adjudicated by the state and federal court systems.

How odd. It does leave a wide open whole for challenge for cause, possible double jeapordy, and even reverse civil charges.

For example, on a Saturday afternoon, could I decide to hold court, have some strong people bring in someone I accuse, and then sit in judgement of them? What is an officer of the law to do say, when there is an administrative infraction alleged, and then perhaps some other more serious event not under this new court's jurisdiction to adjudicate?

Seems a bit weak. If the laws are to be changed in any meaningful way, they have to come from the state legislature. For example, a city could not just say, "We met, and we decide the speed limit is not inifity, or, " At the last council session, we decided that anyone who drinks coffee, shall be fined."

My intentionally ridiculous examples are to prove an odd point. Even an old country lawyer like me could beat this or at least cast enough doubt on it to gum up the works.

In the main, I fail to see how this brings about any mediated solution. This is probably the worse than odd civil procedure matters. Surely there is a more clever way to meet with a few from both sides and settle this nicely, where everyone can agree to a "cease fire" and have fun, reduce the bitterness, and be heard. Seems to me the solution is before us.
If only the radicals on both sides were squelched a bit, the center of mass on both sides would probably be able to deal with this in about 2 hours with or without coffee and danish served.
Bikers are Lame

Sumter, SC

#8 Sep 21, 2008
Randal Wallace then you need to start showing up at all these motorcycle accidents where people have Traumatic Brain Injuries or even worse death. And explain to their families why not having a helmet on was a good idea. The state law is stupid , all riders should wear helmets. Maybe Myrtle Beach could actually lead the state to inact a law that could save thousands of people and their families alot of misery.
Grand Dunes

Ladson, SC

#9 Sep 21, 2008
Bikers are Lame wrote:
Randal Wallace then you need to start showing up at all these motorcycle accidents where people have Traumatic Brain Injuries or even worse death. And explain to their families why not having a helmet on was a good idea. The state law is stupid , all riders should wear helmets. Maybe Myrtle Beach could actually lead the state to inact a law that could save thousands of people and their families alot of misery.
You certainly could have that right afforded to you by statewide initiative. You could easily organize a petition, gather the requisite amount of signatures, and the action, after being reviewed by the secretary of state here, would be placed on the ballot in the next general election, or even perhaps a special election. If you feel strongly about this matter, this is an action you might take. If you are persuasive enough, you may get what you ask for done.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with it, but only explaining pro-bono, how you can effect change from you own living room.

In my own opinion, I need no lessons in risk reduction from wearing a helmet. I also fly a small airplane (real simple one) and I am required to follow many safety rules. I wear a seatbelt in the automobile I drive.

I suppose if it were me, I would want to see several of the unbiased other state studies (where helmets are required) and see how the data looks compared to states where there is no requirement. But it won't be so obvious as a simple linear regression with a statistical outcome that you can get a 95% confidence interval on. This is because there are other factors.

It might be a good idea and it might not. Depends.

It is perhaps a better idea to require people to take a no or low cost safety training course, but that would need to apply to all operators of motor vehicles to make any sense. Now you are into a large beauracracy to administer such matters.

If you read the standard laws, and can demonstrate your skills in a test in front of a state licenced examiner, than presently that is all that is needed. The rest comes from experience on the road and basically living through plenty of close calls. In 40 years I have never been down. But I still consider it a "when" and not an "if" proposition.
Allen

Florence, SC

#10 Sep 21, 2008
It is hard for me to understand how we have let non-locals come in here and dictate to us how we run our city. We need to take back control and let people who move here know that this is our town and if they don't like the way we do things, they should go somewhere else. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a biker, but I appreciate their business and welcome their influence on our community. We are a Tourist town, not a Retirement home.
Grand douche

Sumter, SC

#11 Sep 21, 2008
Grand Dunes wrote:
Well, this is certainly a course of action. I doubt it is the most plausible outcome for next May. Surely some that don't benefit, and in fact, have costs imposed upon them, will try and challenge these local ordinances in court on many grounds. Especially interesting is the administrative angle. If I understand this correctly, a 24 year old lawyer (the average graduate is 21 and then has to work three years), could then sit in judgement of these extra-legal ordinances and can administer fines, which if not paid, can lead to a regular court date and fines for not paying the fines. I find that odd. Everyone has the right to a jury trial no matter how small the infraction, though it is often not necessary for minor traffic matters.
But here, I can see a clever barrister filing a writ to challenge the administrative courts jurisdiction over the matter, which normally is adjudicated by the state and federal court systems.
How odd. It does leave a wide open whole for challenge for cause, possible double jeapordy, and even reverse civil charges.
For example, on a Saturday afternoon, could I decide to hold court, have some strong people bring in someone I accuse, and then sit in judgement of them? What is an officer of the law to do say, when there is an administrative infraction alleged, and then perhaps some other more serious event not under this new court's jurisdiction to adjudicate?
Seems a bit weak. If the laws are to be changed in any meaningful way, they have to come from the state legislature. For example, a city could not just say, "We met, and we decide the speed limit is not inifity, or, " At the last council session, we decided that anyone who drinks coffee, shall be fined."
My intentionally ridiculous examples are to prove an odd point. Even an old country lawyer like me could beat this or at least cast enough doubt on it to gum up the works.
In the main, I fail to see how this brings about any mediated solution. This is probably the worse than odd civil procedure matters. Surely there is a more clever way to meet with a few from both sides and settle this nicely, where everyone can agree to a "cease fire" and have fun, reduce the bitterness, and be heard. Seems to me the solution is before us.
If only the radicals on both sides were squelched a bit, the center of mass on both sides would probably be able to deal with this in about 2 hours with or without coffee and danish served.
I have an idea during the next rally the one in May , tell your security guard at your little bridge over there to take the last three weeks in May off. Then invite the bikers to cruise around in your little perfect world over there and as they ride up and down your streets 24/7 , maybe you could go out there and serve them coffee and danish? I'm sure that after a few nights of coffee and danish they will surley respect the fact that you and your neighbors have not slept in 3 days and that your children have heard sirens all night. Then you could come back and tell all of us what a great negotiator you have been.
Myrtle

Sumter, SC

#12 Sep 21, 2008
Allen wrote:
It is hard for me to understand how we have let non-locals come in here and dictate to us how we run our city. We need to take back control and let people who move here know that this is our town and if they don't like the way we do things, they should go somewhere else. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a biker, but I appreciate their business and welcome their influence on our community. We are a Tourist town, not a Retirement home.
You can have all the rallies you want in N.M.B. we have had enough of it here in M.B.
Grand Dunes

Ladson, SC

#13 Sep 21, 2008
Allen wrote:
I guess the challenge might be this however; "who decides what constitutes a "local," and for that matter, "who decides, who decides on who is a local."

Property owners? People that rent as a choice? People that rent for long periods? People that are consider this their primary domicile? How long does that take? The only rule I know of is that one has to register their vehicle within a proscribed limit (sort of on the honor system) and get a new driver's licensce should they choose to drive, within a short period. Does that count?

I know you asked a simple question and you probably don't want to hear a complicated answer to it.

We cannot say, well then, only registered votors, because, no one has to register.

We cannot say, well only people with state I.D. or Driving Licensces, because you actually don't have to have either (though it is impractical not to have one or the other as a general rule).

We cannot say, "Only people with hospital documentation that they were born in a city hospital within city limits." What then of the person born in Wimington who has parents that move the next day south to our fair state?

Further we could not impose super powers (more than one vote per one voter) for local people (assuming you can define it and make it stick), simply because they are local. That is to say, everyone has the right to persuade, but they may not be persuasive. I have no quarrel with anyone that wants to demonstrate and holler, pass out handbills, or take on the establishment. It has been done many times before.

But the real issue is this:

1) Would we all better off in a mediated sitdown (which the Mayor should do since he repesents ALL the people of the town both for and against his ideas and proposals) and broker a reasonable deal.

2) I am almost certain this can be accomplished and proverbial peace treaty signed, as well as some benefits accruing to both sides of the argument.

It makes little sense to draw a line in the sand and dare people to cross it for they will and we will all be back to square one over, and over, and over.
hangin at the beach

Columbia, SC

#14 Sep 21, 2008
true that wrote:
you are right FYI. Sarah Palin is very hot. Now the ralley they talk about hear is the gay pride rally that occurs twice in may and once in oct. It is gay men and women and some transvestites that come to the beach to enjoy the tourist attractions.
no its not you moran read the story again! it's the FALL RALLY for hd riders it's the older crowd. You and FYI really need to be on another page maybe the Paulin page!
hangin at the beach

Columbia, SC

#15 Sep 21, 2008
Grand douche wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an idea during the next rally the one in May , tell your security guard at your little bridge over there to take the last three weeks in May off. Then invite the bikers to cruise around in your little perfect world over there and as they ride up and down your streets 24/7 , maybe you could go out there and serve them coffee and danish? I'm sure that after a few nights of coffee and danish they will surley respect the fact that you and your neighbors have not slept in 3 days and that your children have heard sirens all night. Then you could come back and tell all of us what a great negotiator you have been.
Wow Do I agree with you!!!!!
Not Affraid

Conway, SC

#16 Sep 21, 2008
You need to tell Mike Chestnut to go into
racepath and take care of his own.He should
be also taking care of his own little monkeys
on BBW instead of trying to expose harley
weekend when the shooting that took place was
from one of his little monkeys.We don't steal,
shoot,tear other peoples property apart. Just
because we are not ignorent we still have to
suffer.Those people ought to learn that we are
not going to suffer for there mistakes much
longer without a fight.I speak for myself because
I am not affraid of there kind.But guess what
Mike Chestnut is that is why he is trying to
blame us for there mistakes.
A Thought

Conway, SC

#17 Sep 21, 2008
The problem isn't having bike rallies, the problem is alllowing them to take over our town. We close major roads for them, wrong! Why should my normal (even in the summer) drive to and from work take an hour insteead of 20 minutes? We need to move the vendors to locations that don't impact local traffic and life so dramatically. We need to limit the groups of 20 or 30 bikes that choke traffic lanes, everyother car I might add. The answer is to control when, and where the bikers are, and allow the locals to be able to live life normally. The summer time traffic and crowds certainly do not impact our lives in such negative ways, so why should we allow the bikers to do so. It's been said over and over, they come here and do things they would not do in their own home town, such as sitting in traffic making black smoke by gunning thier engines, riding in-between cars waiting in traffic, and generally being obnoxious. So I would say, if the bikers want to come to MB, then do it politely, and remember some of us live here all the time, and have lives here, just like you have at home. Give us the same curtosey you would give residents of your own home town!
Bernie Goetz

AOL

#18 Sep 21, 2008
This is very bad news.

Support the Constitution and the Right to Bear Arms.

End the Madness.
Larry

Aberdeen, NC

#19 Sep 21, 2008
Sarah is HOT!!

As I have continually said: BIKE WEEKS are history.
Come, enjoy the fall rally. Spit on the street, pee on the lawns, show your tooties.

Then begin to look elsewhere if you want to have fun in 2009.
Local Biker Citizen

Columbia, SC

#20 Sep 21, 2008
Bikers are Lame wrote:
You f'in moron. As long as you drive your POS car properly and stay the f&^K out of my lane I won' t need a helmet. Mind your own business and follow the laws that are inplace to allow me to drive safely though and by your f'in neighborhood. Dip Sh*t.
Murrells Inlet Resident

United States

#21 Sep 21, 2008
Local Biker Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You f'in moron. As long as you drive your POS car properly and stay the f&^K out of my lane I won' t need a helmet. Mind your own business and follow the laws that are inplace to allow me to drive safely though and by your f'in neighborhood. Dip ****.
Another impressive biker response.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
America's Gay & Feminist Movements will be the ... 11 hr Hustonwehaveaprob... 3
News The Cannibals world premiere shows the slow unr... 14 hr Marathon 1
Unsung Civil Rights Pioneer Dr. Franklyn V. Bec... 14 hr Christina Sanderson 2
run the yankees out of charleston Wed Save Charleston 3
Leave Charleston Now Jun 25 Fred 2
Augusta Chronicle Claims Fall Short Racist Tabl... Jun 25 trustrum united 1
Marie Hicks Inabinett (Sep '12) Jun 24 Think 68

Charleston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance