Apparent Adolescent Drowning Rocks Ri...

Apparent Adolescent Drowning Rocks Richmond Family

There are 1 comment on the WTVR Richmond story from Jul 10, 2009, titled Apparent Adolescent Drowning Rocks Richmond Family. In it, WTVR Richmond reports that:

The rescue effort plunged forward unsuccessfully Thursday night to locate a 16-year-old boy missing on the James River.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR Richmond.

VA Conservative

Richmond, VA

#1 Jul 11, 2009
In a follow up story published Friday, July 10th:

The family is now criticizing the rescue effort: "If it was their child, they'd be in there all night," asserted Teresa Brandon, the victim's sister.

I find the sister's statement particularly offensive. I'm sure she is speaking out of grief, but she is also speaking from ignorance and stupidity.

I feel fairly confident, that we all have a fundamental understanding that we do not breath water. In a further leap of faith, I think it's a fair assumption that we can only last a few short minutes beneath the surface - at best.

The family watched the boy slip under the water. They *know* he is in the water. They also know, that after about 5 minutes of being beneath the water - that he is dead. And yet, they criticize the rescue teams for suspending at night, when the working conditions now place them at risk.

Our rescue personnel respond everyday, to all kinds of incidents, and will do whatever it takes to get the job done - with one exception. They will not knowingly put themselves in a position that will get them killed in the process.

I think this family is fortunate that their son and brother was found at all. There are many families that may never know what became of their loved ones, because their bodies have never been located.

I am sorry for their loss, but I think this family owes an apology to the rescue teams involved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reaction to clothing controversy (Mar '12) Mar '12 equalityboy81 1
News Arrest made in Emporia murder (Aug '06) Nov '11 Alison Aloupis 31
@steelerbilly92: I'm at Steeler Country (Charle... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Ray 1
News Charles City man sentenced (Nov '07) Aug '11 loc 3
Debate: Ryan Medicare Plan - Charles City, VA (Jul '11) Jul '11 Sonny 1
Please Help (Jun '11) Jun '11 LookingForMikey 1
News Body Found thought to be that of Tameka Claibor... (Jul '10) Apr '11 Liz 49

Charles City Jobs

Personal Finance

Charles City Mortgages